The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning Interview

Rate this topic

aGENT

13 minutes ago, Arrow 1983 said:

I agree with this statement, except for playing Virtanen and McCann as yearly as they did, in my books this was a clear mistake, and he has learned from this one. Patients with these kids are a must, let the ones that truly belong up here be here (Hughes Petey Boeser) and the others develop in the AHL.

I am not suggesting he didn't make any mistakes.   Just that from a position of weakness you have to take a bunch of shots and hope for enough of them to pan out.  For every Motte you have a couple of Vey's.

• Like 1

I think they will sign Markstrom to a deal fair for both 4 yrs x 5.5 million with clause in contract for expansion draft in 2021..

Demko will be ready to be starter by 2021 for sure and 5 years younger then Markstrom..

Either way we should get a great return in a trade for Markstrom 30 or Demko 25 ..One of these guys will be traded before Seattle expansion draft.

In trade return should be a 1st rounder and young prospect ..

Edited by wildcam

2 hours ago, GarthButcher5 said:

Thanks for posting...

Regarding the 5 prospects he wants to sign just guessing who the players are;

My guess is..... Woo, Madden , Lockwood, Hoglander and Rathbone

Podzy won't likely be one as he is still under Russian contract. 

Any other guesses?

Tryamkin

• Cheers 1

37 minutes ago, Alflives said:

It’s what JB said.  IMO JB has two plans.  One they sign Marky to a fair deal and trade Demko.  (I don’t like this, but think it’s the one that will happen).  Or we let Marky walk, and use that saved cap space to sign Tanev, Jake, and keep our team together - mostly.  

3. Make a deal with Seattle which is very likely imo 

12 minutes ago, wildcam said:

I think they will sign Markstrom to a deal fair for both 4 yrs x 5.5 million with clause in contract for expansion draft in 2021..

Demko will be ready to be starter by 2021 for sure and 5 years younger then Markstrom..

Either way we should get a great return in a trade for Markstrom 30 or Demko 25 ..One of these guys will be traded before Seattle expansion draft.

In trade return should be a 1st rounder and young prospect ..

I think you are in for a shock then when he signs on the open market for far more and much more term

• Wat 1

8 minutes ago, Arrow 1983 said:

that's what I'm saying Demko is ready now, Markstrom took longer, they are different, 

I love Demko. I’ve been waiting for this guy since the day we drafted him.. I think he needs another year. The Seattle expansion is crap timing. But i just can’t see them taking that route. Marky will be resigned to a reasonable deal. I think you are under estimating him a bit. This is where he was developed. This is where he became a starter when Florida gave up on him. He’s a leader on this team and he will be signed to a reasonable deal. 

2 hours ago, GarthButcher5 said:

Thanks for posting...

Regarding the 5 prospects he wants to sign just guessing who the players are;

My guess is..... Woo, Madden , Lockwood, Hoglander and Rathbone

Podzy won't likely be one as he is still under Russian contract. 

Any other guesses?

They signed Woo last year. My guess would be that they want to bring Utunen over for next season.

Figure that Karlsson and Tryamkin would also likely be on the radar, although he might not be seeing Tryamkin as a prospect specifically.

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

4'ish years at $5.5-$6m +/- IMO. Fair for both sides.

That does raise the question of what happens with Demko pre-ED though... Oh well, a problem for another day.

Signing Marky does not necessarily put an end to the competition between him and Demko.  Benning doesn't have to decide who he's going to protect in the expansion draft until 2021.  It is not a sure thing that they'll lose a goalie either.

2 hours ago, Arrow 1983 said:

Markstrom has  also been our starter for the last 3 years as well.

Yes... those were his late 20s years though, and we were all uncertain until late last season if he was even a good goalie.

So the fact that you're saying it's now or never for a 24 year old Demko is kind of counterintuitive. I think we'd be fine going forward with either goalie, but Demko definitely needs a year of at least 30-40 games.

Edited by Grape