Sign in to follow this  
aGENT

Jim Benning Interview

Rate this topic

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

4'ish years at $5.5-$6m +/- IMO. Fair for both sides.

That does raise the question of what happens with Demko pre-ED though... Oh well, a problem for another day.

Would not go more than three years at 5.5 have not even seen him in a single playoff game and he is in his prime now won't be in two or three years

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, 6string said:

Team chemistry.

Pulling talent from within ( Utica ).

No Free Agents.

In Benning I Believe!

it seems he has a sustainable plan in place

not many teams can say what jb said in this recent interview

his plan has credibility and teeth

• Thanks 2
  • Burr 1

9 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Signing Marky does not necessarily put an end to the competition between him and Demko.  Benning doesn't have to decide who he's going to protect in the expansion draft until 2021.  It is not a sure thing that they'll lose a goalie either.

But if he waits teams will have the power not Jim in a deal....

2 hours ago, Arrow 1983 said:

I really don't think Markstrom is getting signed

My reasoning Markstrom going to want more then Benning willing to pay and the truth is good on Benning don't throw it away on a 30 year old goalie stick to your guns

markstrom has clearly said

he wants to spend the rest of his career with the canucks

so i'm going to assume you are just spitballing in your post

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

I don't have access to the Athletic article (paywall) but if anyone does and wants to post it, feel free and I'll edit this OP.

Otherwise, an apparent summary of the main talking points:

https://www.nucksmisconduct.com/2020/1/21/21075556/six-main-takeaways-from-jim-bennings-interview-with-the-athletic

And (with credit to @Wilbur) ...

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/qa-canucks-gm-benning-trade-deadline-playoff-race/

I like that last statement in the sportsnet interview

• Hydration 1

3 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

Relatively speaking he’s young and by some definitions still a prospect. I wouldn’t be surprised if he was one of the five Jim was referring to. 

He might not be the one of five signed this Summer, but late this season.

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

We have a handful of fringe NHL players that could easily be in the show if there was another team. Expansion will be a good thing when there is such a great excess of talent available.

1 hour ago, RowdyCanuck said:

But if he waits teams will have the power not Jim in a deal....

that is always the trade off,

wait and pay more or don't wait and gamble that the player will pan out.

its 5.5 months til FA day, Markies agent no doubt knows the score

the only power Jim has is to  pay large to beat the crowd, anything less and its up to Markstrom to decide if he want s to stay enough to take the deal or wait 5.5 months

• Hydration 1

Realistically our “deadline” acquisition at forward would be ferland cause he’s been irrelevant to the teams success and should make an impact.

Money in, money out I could see happening (Pearson for guddy comes to mind) maybe Stecher gets packaged up for an upgrade  

If he can ship out contracts with term (i.e baertschi) then praise jimbo! 

• Hydration 1
  • Burr 1

1 minute ago, billabong said:

Realistically our “deadline” acquisition at forward would be ferland cause he’s been irrelevant to the teams success and should make an impact.

Money in, money out I could see happening (Pearson for guddy comes to mind) maybe Stecher gets packaged up for an upgrade  

If he can ship out contracts with term (i.e baertschi) then praise jimbo! 

I kinda hope Jim can flip sutter for Simmonds lmfao

I would argue, that it will be the players that will ultimately, determine Bennings' next move cause ever since, the struggle in Nov till part of Dec, the players showed that they will play for the coaching staff and that a coaching change was not necessary (not suggesting that, JB was about to make an impulsive move, such as a coaching change but some teams, did make a coaching change during that time).  If this roster proves (still learning to win as a team), that they will play for each other then it should be an easy decision for JB, whether, to add from within or make a trade.  In my opinion, if healthy, the solution is already in the organization (just like the earlier need to give Bo a winger and LE stepped up).  Perhaps, hire an assistant to supplement our coaching staff, instead of trading prospects ?  The only trade I hope JB, would do is if it involves: Baer/Stech (just to name a few) for draft picks and to open up cap space for next season.  Still 30+ games to go, for management to figure this out but it is looking like it will be a dead heat right till the end of the regular season to make the playoffs (as a Canuck fan, this will greatly benefit the young cores' development - playing meaningful games).

3 hours ago, Arrow 1983 said:

Last thing I have to say about Markstrom

Mark my words if Benning signs Markstrom longer then 3-4 years for greater then 6 mill it will be the beginning of the end for Benning.

The Contract will hand cuff the Canucks and they will lose better assets at the goalie position, as well as put themselves in to Cap hell

3 hours ago, Arrow 1983 said:

This will never happen IMO because I believe Benning Knows this and therefor,  I believe in Benning

Thus, Bye Bye Markstrom

I love when these interactions happen

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Arrow 1983 said:

my point exactly 

Just cause Markstrom became a starter in his late 20s doesn't mean Demko isn't ready now

So then why is it now or never ?

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I love when these interactions happen

I know  lol  ,No wonder he can't win an argument 

2 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

Signing Marky does not necessarily put an end to the competition between him and Demko.  Benning doesn't have to decide who he's going to protect in the expansion draft until 2021.  It is not a sure thing that they'll lose a goalie either.

Did I say it put an end to it?

Like I said, it becomes a problem for another day. But there's no guarantee Demko wants to wait around for 3+ years while we decide either...

I never said it's a sure thing we lose a goalie either. Though as of right now, that would probably our forecasted best player available.

We could leave Myers unprotected though as well and look to clear his salary depending on what the prospects look like in a couple years.

Well thanks to Ian Clark, Demko is looking better than Marky did at the same age.

Demko is far more controlled in his movements and has a wonderful calm/collected, mature type vibe to his game. Handles the puck really well too.

That said, he lacks experience, but does he actually need 2-3 years of insulation before it's fair to start him? I dunno.

It's an interesting storyline with expansion looming though.

On the prospects front, Tryamkin needs to be signed. Or trade his rights to Winnipeg or Minnesota to teach him a lesson about kicking the gift horse.

Some posts on Utunen... give him another year in Fin to get stronger before bringing him to the A. He's too little.

• Hydration 2

Another thing about markstrom.

I think he will sign at a discount. Seems to me the Vancouver Canucks maybe saved his career.  He was pretty average for three years here and he kept getting put out there and given the opportunity. 

Another thing.  His playoff performance will have alot to do with his value. 

If he cracks under that pressure then his value drops.

If we don't make the playoffs then that affects his value as well given he hasn't proven himself at that level 

If I were to sign him today it would be 5 for 4 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Thought Benning was a good hire for the Canucks at the time and while he had some misalignment with the Canuck President who wanted to keep supporting the Sedins with players like Loui, once he was fully in charge he showed what I was hoping he would and that is to replenish the pool to create depth at the NHL level.   Utica is by far the most important part of this future now that he has an NHL line-up across four lines and six D.   To have put a quality team at NHL level while not sacrificing the AHL build is underrated and so important.   The FA signings that people often scoff at ("who is that?") - like Fantenberg, Teves, Rafferty, Stecher etc. etc. - are the ones that really jumpstart the process and are as important as the drafting (which has been excellent).

Thumbs up to this guy's work with the team to date.    

Agree completely.  What's often overlooked is the entire depth of the organization that he has built up.  Every year the talent in the prospect pool goes up and the depth gets larger.  Gone are the days of praying guys like Friesen, Grenier, Jensen, Sauve, McNally, Corrado etc. turn into any sort of NHL caliber player.  Man it was tough following prospects then and now it seems like there's too many to keep up with.

The team has depth in all positions and the only nitpick is we could up the main club's talent on defense but that could also be solved internally (Juolevi, Tryamkin, Rafferty).

So where do we look now to keep the team trending upwards?  Making sure we have enough cap space to keep the core intact and give them the proper supporting cast.  Again, all things that look like they can solve internally.  

How's the outlook of this team ever looked this good?  IMO the biggest concern is extending JB so that he can continue to build this organization to what is hopefully our first Stanley Cup and then maybe, just maybe, the most dominant team of this decade.

• Thanks 1
  • Hydration 1

5 hours ago, GarthButcher5 said:

Thanks for posting...

Regarding the 5 prospects he wants to sign just guessing who the players are;

My guess is..... Woo, Madden , Lockwood, Hoglander and Rathbone

Podzy won't likely be one as he is still under Russian contract. 

Any other guesses?

My pick for 5th guy is Quintin Byfield still Podkolzin.  KHL deals can be bought out. Albeit, it has to be by the player.

Utunen makes some sense. But he is a Euro draft pick.  Unlike the CHL, we retain his rights through age 25. And he is undersized, a defensive D. My guess is they let him develop in the pro leagues there.  

My up next if not Podz is Linus Karlsson. He is also a Euro pick, albeit acquirred by trade. A two way defensive pivot. Utica is killing it. But could use an injection of talent at centre ice without having to sign an overager. After Madden, I believe Karlsson is next on the depth chart among pivots? Focht maybe has a bit of upside. Karlsson however a near NHL ready body. 6'1'' 185 lbs. Already a couple of pro years under his belt, could help the Comets...

Karlsson would be more about Utica IMO. A prospect who make our AHL club stronger then also helps the development of all prospects in the organization.

@aGENT

5 hours ago, Devron44 said:

Pretty sure Woo was signed last year 

B)

• Hydration 1