The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning Interview

Rate this topic

aGENT

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

Did I say it put an end to it?

Like I said, it becomes a problem for another day. But there's no guarantee Demko wants to wait around for 3+ years while we decide either...

I never said it's a sure thing we lose a goalie either. Though as of right now, that would probably our forecasted best player available.

We could leave Myers unprotected though as well and look to clear his salary depending on what the prospects look like in a couple years.

Sorry aGent.  Had I known there was endless discussion on the matter, I wouldn't have chimed in.  :)

I just think that Marky's new contract has nothing to do with who they decide will be the starting goalie after expansion.  The question is, who will they protect?  That decision will tell us who is the long term starter and obviously one of them will be moving on.  Nobody is waiting 3 years.  Only 1.

7 hours ago, Arrow 1983 said:

Benning as I said in my last post has come along way at how he approaches this team and how he manages the players.

Great job Benning not just in drafting these young players but by properly managing them as well.

Biggest improvement Benning has made as a GM is learning from past mistakes, and changing his management style to reflect the times we are in.

This old dog does learn knew tricks

Who knew?:ph34r:

• Haha 1

Funny how all the panic and concern (eg cap, coaching issues, etc) are completely brushed off by Benning. He hears his critics and is being humble rather than telling them to eat crow. Continues to show respect despite being crapped on for years. Seems true to his word that respect is highly preached amongst the organization and is building a foundation on that. Hopefully the fanbase (the vocal ones) follow suit soon and we all band(wagon) together in support of the team.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Arrow 1983 said:

So you walk away if he demands 6 and let him try his luck in UFA 

Cause I'm sure there are at least 5-10 teams that would give him 6-7 with term

Perhaps, but with so many teams against the cap and with his actual save % and gaa being what they are, I am not sure there will be as many takers as you think. His basic stats don't really back up such a contract, and I am hoping that fact allows us to use such comparables to talk down the price.

Even if we did sign him for that range, and there really would be so many takers, if we don't offer him a no trade clause then he is still a tradable asset.

I haven't heard too much about Marky's desire to stay in Vancouver, but I can only hope he recognizes that this team spent nearly 6 years developing him to this point and let's be honest - we have only seen this level of play for about a year total. We have placed our faith in him and provided him a stable place to play, and I am hoping his first desire is not to up and jump ship to get the highest dollar.

But if that is his intent, not much we can do about it. We can only pay so much.

While i agree that resigning Markstrom would be a good idea, i don’t get this whole “Demko not ready” argument. I bet all of you, who think Demko is not ready, were absolutely sure that Binnington wasn’t ready for St Louis last year. He was the same age Demko is now with only 1 game in NHL when he was called up.

5 hours ago, RowdyCanuck said:

But if he waits teams will have the power not Jim in a deal....

Sort of.

But we give ourselves the right to be screwed, if you will?

We can sign Marky & lose either he, or Demko? Or not sign Markstrom, and lose a defenseman. We are still going to lose someone. 

We can also not sign Tanev, or Tryamkin so we do not lose a defenceman! I also have 8 forwards I would like to be in a position to protect (Bo, Elias, Boeser, Miller, Ferland, Roussel, Gaudette, Motte & Jake. I suppose we dont have to protect Motte, otherwise it would be 9. And I think Roussel's contract will be up?  

But we can also suck next year, so we dont have to lose anybody! :frantic:

• Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, RomanP said:

While i agree that resigning Markstrom would be a good idea, i don’t get this whole “Demko not ready” argument. I bet all of you, who think Demko is not ready, were absolutely sure that Binnington wasn’t ready for St Louis last year. He was the same age Demko is now with only 1 game in NHL when he was called up.

I'm just concerned that Demko will have injury issues.  Look at the last 2 years of his career.  That's all I'm worried about, he's looking to be a really solid goaltender (although not proven yet). 

6 hours ago, luckylager said:

Well thanks to Ian Clark, Demko is looking better than Marky did at the same age.

Demko is far more controlled in his movements and has a wonderful calm/collected, mature type vibe to his game. Handles the puck really well too.

That said, he lacks experience, but does he actually need 2-3 years of insulation before it's fair to start him? I dunno.

It's an interesting storyline with expansion looming though.

On the prospects front, Tryamkin needs to be signed. Or trade his rights to Winnipeg or Minnesota to teach him a lesson about kicking the gift horse.

Some posts on Utunen... give him another year in Fin to get stronger before bringing him to the A. He's too little.

26 NHL games and his net presence looks like he has played for years.

Benning will be sure to have him here for his best years!

• Cheers 1

Without Markstrom we might as well just give up. You don’t develop a guy for 5 years, now that he is finally that solid number one you hoped for, and then not sign him to an extension. It doesn’t make any sense. Demko is a good young goalie but he is not Markstrom. Simple, sign Markstrom, keep Demko as long as you can or just straight up trade Demko for a younger goalie. 

9 hours ago, wildcam said:

I think they will sign Markstrom to a deal fair for both 4 yrs x 5.5 million with clause in contract for expansion draft in 2021..

Demko will be ready to be starter by 2021 for sure and 5 years younger then Markstrom..

Either way we should get a great return in a trade for Markstrom 30 or Demko 25 ..One of these guys will be traded before Seattle expansion draft.

In trade return should be a 1st rounder and young prospect ..

Seattle is our neighbour but the NHL landscape is vast when you have farm teams along with juniors and collegiates. Seattle's goalie options are gonna be plentiful, they are not only focused at looking two hours north of the border.

I have money on Benning retaining both goalies going through expansion. Seattle like Vegas will profit from Bettman's welfare arrangements throughout the lineup. Seattle will land a quality netminder for sure!

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1