The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning Interview

Rate this topic

aGENT

1 hour ago, spur1 said:

The most interesting part for me was that Ferland’s injury was not a concussion. 

Me too? Can anyone provide information? 

I think we all were under the same impressions that it was a concussion symptoms issue

4 hours ago, ktcy2 said:

Without Markstrom we might as well just give up. You don’t develop a guy for 5 years, now that he is finally that solid number one you hoped for, and then not sign him to an extension. It doesn’t make any sense. Demko is a good young goalie but he is not Markstrom. Simple, sign Markstrom, keep Demko as long as you can or just straight up trade Demko for a younger goalie. 

Once they get a good read on DiPietro, they'll make a decision on one of their goaltenders.

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

Once they get a good read on DiPietro, they'll make a decision on one of their goaltenders.

I don't think its going to time out that way where he influences the decision, Mikey is having a good 1st year in Utica but he's a long way off from even knowing if he's going to be a backup for a contending team. I think we'll see Mikey spend at least the next two seasons in Utica and if he ends up being a little over-developed down there I don't think thats out of line with Bennings comments on team building. 

If they extend Marky I think the writings on the wall for Demko, its too bad but Seattle really makes things difficult for us. I'd be pretty happy if Jim could get that Arizona 1st round pick for Demko out of NJ. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I don't think its going to time out that way where he influences the decision, Mikey is having a good 1st year in Utica but he's a long way off from even knowing if he's going to be a backup for a contending team. I think we'll see Mikey spend at least the next two seasons in Utica and if he ends up being a little over-developed down there I don't think thats out of line with Bennings comments on team building. 

If they extend Marky I think the writings on the wall for Demko, its too bad but Seattle really makes things difficult for us. I'd be pretty happy if Jim could get that Arizona 1st round pick for Demko out of NJ. 

I don't think it'll be a matter of him coming up, but if he finishes this year strong and carries that into next season, I expect there's a good chance JB makes a goalie move at the 2021 deadline.........including bringing in a temp backup for whichever goalie stays.

4 hours ago, AbrasiveAjax said:

I think we all were under the same impressions that it was a concussion symptoms issue

I don't have a link, but they've said this since he got injured, but they still haven't disclosed what it is. I'm still assuming it is, otherwise what's the big secret? Maybe he fell off the wagon? 

12 minutes ago, stawns said:

I don't think it'll be a matter of him coming up, but if he finishes this year strong and carries that into next season, I expect there's a good chance JB makes a goalie move at the 2021 deadline.........including bringing in a temp backup for whichever goalie stays.

yeah he might wait that long, but if he could net a 1st leading up to the next draft for Demko he'd do it. 

5 hours ago, 6string said:

Seattle will land a quality netminder for sure!

They'll likely get one of Matt Murray or Tristan Jarry from Pittsburgh.

Columbus also has some good young goalies in their system. Merzlikins isn't expansion-eligible, but Korpisalo and Vehvilainen are.

A lot of people speculated up to the last expansion draft that Vegas would land a lot of goalies. However, outside of getting MAF as starter, they didn't bother too much with them. They picked up their back-up Subban off waivers. It's smart though, because goalies don't usually have as much trade value as defensemen, and even forwards.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, HKSR said:

Good to hear he's likely gonna stay out of the Free Agency market and also that he's likely not gonna make any major moves this TDL.  It simply isn't worth it at this point to be making moves.  Keep drafting well, and let the young prospects make an impact.

His interview really helps clear the air of his intentions.

I love that he's going to be using the system for depth rather then outside sources for depth.

Those players that have played hard and produced results deserve their chance. It sounds like they're going to get it.

I'm excited for our future.

Keep developing Jim, it's working.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, komodo0921 said:

His interview really helps clear the air of his intentions.

I love that he's going to be using the system for depth rather then outside sources for depth.

Those players that have played hard and produced results deserve their chance. It sounds like they're going to get it.

I'm excited for our future.

Keep developing Jim, it's working.

actually he's been saying this since the start. In his first year as GM he kept talking about wanting to get us to having the old "Detroit model" where you have a lot of guys in the farm system that are maybe a little over developed and ready to go at the NHL level. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Cheers 1

7 hours ago, spur1 said:

The most interesting part for me was that Ferland’s injury was not a concussion. 

5 hours ago, AbrasiveAjax said:

1 hour ago, Jester13 said:

I don't have a link, but they've said this since he got injured, but they still haven't disclosed what it is. I'm still assuming it is, otherwise what's the big secret? Maybe he fell off the wagon? 

IIRC, it was 'post concussion syndrome'. Technically it's not a concussion, so the statement's true, but that's some grey area/hair splitting IMO.

Edited by aGENT

1 hour ago, D-Money said:

They'll likely get one of Matt Murray or Tristan Jarry from Pittsburgh.

Columbus also has some good young goalies in their system. Merzlikins isn't expansion-eligible, but Korpisalo and Vehvilainen are.

A lot of people speculated up to the last expansion draft that Vegas would land a lot of goalies. However, outside of getting MAF as starter, they didn't bother too much with them. They picked up their back-up Subban off waivers. It's smart though, because goalies don't usually have as much trade value as defensemen, and even forwards.

Imagine Matt Murray being scooped up by Seattle. He'll have a nervous breakdown having to face Brock that many times in a season.

Oh the hilarious luck!

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, 6string said:

Seattle is our neighbour but the NHL landscape is vast when you have farm teams along with juniors and collegiates. Seattle's goalie options are gonna be plentiful, they are not only focused at looking two hours north of the border.

I have money on Benning retaining both goalies going through expansion. Seattle like Vegas will profit from Bettman's welfare arrangements throughout the lineup. Seattle will land a quality netminder for sure!

Agreed.  At the time of the ED, I doubt that Demko would be ready to take over as a starting goaltender.  Seattle will be wanting a starter and I highly doubt that they would waste another pick on a backup who has starter potential.  They will take a F or D from Vancouver and at the moment, we have no way of knowing which player(s) will be unprotected until after the trade deadline leading into the ED.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Agreed.  At the time of the ED, I doubt that Demko would be ready to take over as a starting goaltender.  Seattle will be wanting a starter and I highly doubt that they would waste another pick on a backup who has starter potential.  They will take a F or D from Vancouver and at the moment, we have no way of knowing which player(s) will be unprotected until after the trade deadline leading into the ED.

If 26 year old Demko's healthy and not protected in the ED, he'd be on the very short list of players from our team to target.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I think as much the case that some of the 'young dogs' in the market are beginning to see/understand what the old dog has been doing all along now that the results are more evident to them.

It's not really the case that the process or approach has changed as much as the results are starting to show and a market that prejudged most of it are having to walk back and realize that many of the moves they may not have understood - the benefits are becoming more evident.

I thought your whole post was bang on! Well said!

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, aGENT said:

If 26 year old Demko's healthy and not protected in the ED, he'd be on the very short list of players from our team to target.

Not that it changes your point aGent, but he will be 25 at the Expansion draft. That matters because, I think the longevity of his career going forward after the draft, will matter to Seattle. aka, the older he gets the more develop he should be....time matters with goalies.....aka Markstrom

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Perhaps.  I don't know if 25yr old (Dec born) Demko will be good enough for Seattle to bypass some very good goaltenders that will be available. Marky wasn't even close to being a starter at 25yrs.  If he Demko begins to look like a starter next season, then JB will likely trade one of them.  There's a few teams out there that need to upgrade their starting goaltender.