Sign in to follow this  
aGENT

Jim Benning Interview

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Sort of.

 

But we give ourselves the right to be screwed, if you will?

 

We can sign Marky & lose either he, or Demko? Or not sign Markstrom, and lose a defenseman. We are still going to lose someone. 

 

We can also not sign Tanev, or Tryamkin so we do not lose a defenceman! I also have 8 forwards I would like to be in a position to protect (Bo, Elias, Boeser, Miller, Ferland, Roussel, Gaudette, Motte & Jake. I suppose we dont have to protect Motte, otherwise it would be 9. And I think Roussel's contract will be up?  

 

But we can also suck next year, so we dont have to lose anybody! :frantic:

This concern about losing a goalie is overstated - vastly so.   Seattle cannot have 30 goalies.   EVERY team can only protect one goalie.   Demko is a really good prospect and Marky is a really good starter but neither is a "gotta have" player for Seattle in compare to the other goalies that will inevitably be available.   Vancouver is going to more likely lose a good young Dman and potentially a mid-tier forward in the process....something potentially like Stecher and Leivo.   It will sting but not be fatal.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, aGENT said:

 

 

IIRC, it was 'post concussion syndrome'. Technically it's not a concussion, so the statement's true, but that's some grey area/hair splitting IMO.

Except JB said his injury was not even “concussion-related”. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Schmautzie said:

Except JB said his injury was not even “concussion-related”. 

dunno20110724-22047-1wvbiu8.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Devron44 said:

I love Demko. I’ve been waiting for this guy since the day we drafted him.. I think he needs another year. The Seattle expansion is crap timing. But i just can’t see them taking that route. Marky will be resigned to a reasonable deal. I think you are under estimating him a bit. This is where he was developed. This is where he became a starter when Florida gave up on him. He’s a leader on this team and he will be signed to a reasonable deal. 

 

 

I was thinking the same. Travis had him in Utica and Marky carried the team and they must be pretty comfortable with each other (and the assistants too) by now. The organization has stuck with Marky, accommodated him when he had family issues, and he has had to suffer through some lean years and the organization is turning the corner into a winner.  Players want to be on a winner and Marky is competitive.  I think he might take a little discount in light of all that.  And the team is Swedish friendly.  This is off topic a little, but remember when Loui and Travis had some sort of beef going over the summer?  That is all in the past it seems and I think Travis is unusually good at being honest with the players about what he is thinking and expects.  I would be very surprised if any of the abuse type stuff you have been hearing lately from players in other organizations would surface with him.  He likes a very tight locker room where a lot of the motivation comes from the players, not from him screaming at somebody or playing Babcock style head games.  Anyway, I don't know that Marky's track record is so impressive that he can be sure that some other organization will want to throw something crazy at him and we get outbid.  I say he comes back, but that means with the expansion you might have to do something with Demko who has a lot of value.  Having them both seems like a long shot under the circumstances.  

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Agreed.  At the time of the ED, I doubt that Demko would be ready to take over as a starting goaltender.  Seattle will be wanting a starter and I highly doubt that they would waste another pick on a backup who has starter potential.  They will take a F or D from Vancouver and at the moment, we have no way of knowing which player(s) will be unprotected until after the trade deadline leading into the ED.

Imagine what they can pluck for dmen out of Carolina or Colorado and forwards from us and others, not fair!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, D-Money said:

They'll likely get one of Matt Murray or Tristan Jarry from Pittsburgh.

 

Columbus also has some good young goalies in their system. Merzlikins isn't expansion-eligible, but Korpisalo and Vehvilainen are.

 

A lot of people speculated up to the last expansion draft that Vegas would land a lot of goalies. However, outside of getting MAF as starter, they didn't bother too much with them. They picked up their back-up Subban off waivers. It's smart though, because goalies don't usually have as much trade value as defensemen, and even forwards.

Great examples and who knows which netminder will rise like Binnington that supplants a starter or a veteran between now and expansion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, hobart16 said:

I was thinking the same. Travis had him in Utica and Marky carried the team and they must be pretty comfortable with each other (and the assistants too) by now. The organization has stuck with Marky, accommodated him when he had family issues, and he has had to suffer through some lean years and the organization is turning the corner into a winner.  Players want to be on a winner and Marky is competitive.  I think he might take a little discount in light of all that.  And the team is Swedish friendly.  This is off topic a little, but remember when Loui and Travis had some sort of beef going over the summer?  That is all in the past it seems and I think Travis is unusually good at being honest with the players about what he is thinking and expects.  I would be very surprised if any of the abuse type stuff you have been hearing lately from players in other organizations would surface with him.  He likes a very tight locker room where a lot of the motivation comes from the players, not from him screaming at somebody or playing Babcock style head games.  Anyway, I don't know that Marky's track record is so impressive that he can be sure that some other organization will want to throw something crazy at him and we get outbid.  I say he comes back, but that means with the expansion you might have to do something with Demko who has a lot of value.  Having them both seems like a long shot under the circumstances.  


This is what I posted earlier in the thread when someone said he could demand more like 7 or 8

 

I’d be very surprised if he got more then 6 million. He’s been a great goaltender but he doesn’t have multiple years If being a great goaltender on his resume. He’s never won a vezina and has a below .500 record. These thing will come to play come negotiations. 


And to touch on what you are saying about Green and Marky and a competitive team. I agree 100%
 

Those are all the factors why I believe a fair deal will happen. It’s not the Same a July. 1st and I doubt it takes that long. Could see the agent drag it out like with Edler but at the end of the day Marky in going to want to be here imo 

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 prospects to sign: Hoglander, Madden, Lockwood, Rathbone, and Focht. All of them a year in Utica at least. It's actually a rather impressive pipeline if they can make the team in staggered years on ELCs; which apparently is the plan. I'm starting to see guys who might be adept 3rd and 4th liners over paying free agents 3m+. 

 

I'm guessing that Benning's comments on no perceived Cap problem include letting vets like Tanev/Stecher expire. How else do we fit in 10 more guys with 18 mil?

 

So, therein lies the clear succession for next year - Juolevi and/or Rafferty making the squad. 

 

  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

5 prospects to sign: Hoglander, Madden, Lockwood, Rathbone, and Focht. All of them a year in Utica at least. It's actually a rather impressive pipeline if they can make the team in staggered years on ELCs; which apparently is the plan. I'm starting to see guys who might be adept 3rd and 4th liners over paying free agents 3m+. 

 

I'm guessing that Benning's comments on no perceived Cap problem include letting vets like Tanev/Stecher expire. How else do we fit in 10 more guys with 18 mil?

 

So, therein lies the clear succession for next year - Juolevi and/or Rafferty making the squad. 

 

I think you can expand that to some mix of: Rafferty, Juolevi, Tryamkin, Brisebois, Chatfield and Sautner (with the balance and Rathbone, Utunen and Woo... as long shots/likely in Utica).

 

Stecher's almost certainly gone. Tanev's only back on an exceedingly team friendly deal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would agree but do have to say that teams who win cups usually make a big push when they're in their prime at the deadline or through UFA even to bolster their quality depth, for example, by trading picks or prospects for top-6 forwards or top-4 defencemen.

 

We're not there yet but in 3-5 years time we have to look at thickening up our quality leading into the playoff push.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

5 prospects to sign: Hoglander, Madden, Lockwood, Rathbone, and Focht. All of them a year in Utica at least. It's actually a rather impressive pipeline if they can make the team in staggered years on ELCs; which apparently is the plan. I'm starting to see guys who might be adept 3rd and 4th liners over paying free agents 3m+. 

And the year after that we have Podkolzin, and maybe even McDonough. Guys are coming.

 

Next year I could see Rafferty, Lind, Juolevi, Jasek, and MacEwen all pushing for spots, and 2 or 3 could make the roster.

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, D-Money said:

And the year after that we have Podkolzin, and maybe even McDonough. Guys are coming.

 

Next year I could see Rafferty, Lind, Juolevi, Jasek, and MacEwen all pushing for spots, and 2 or 3 could make the roster.

Hopefully Bailey as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, GarthButcher5 said:

Thanks for posting...

 

Regarding the 5 prospects he wants to sign just guessing who the players are;

 

My guess is..... Woo, Madden , Lockwood, Hoglander and Rathbone

 

Podzy won't likely be one as he is still under Russian contract. 

 

Any other guesses?

 

 

Edit - Thank you to everyone who reminded me that Woo is already signed.

 

Im going to say Focht is the other one they want to sign. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, ktcy2 said:

Without Markstrom we might as well just give up. You don’t develop a guy for 5 years, now that he is finally that solid number one you hoped for, and then not sign him to an extension. It doesn’t make any sense. Demko is a good young goalie but he is not Markstrom. Simple, sign Markstrom, keep Demko as long as you can or just straight up trade Demko for a younger goalie. 

Are the Canucks a cup contender next year. If so then you sign Markstrom. If not if the Canucks are cup contenders in 2-3 years that makes Markstrom 33-34 and I would say on the decline. Well Demko and dipietro would be on the rise

Edited by Arrow 1983

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, aGENT said:

If 26 year old Demko's healthy and not protected in the ED, he'd be on the very short list of players from our team to target.

Yup, if Thatch were getting true platoon mins, he'd be close to starter level by the end of this year, imo.

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

actually he's been saying this since the start. In his first year as GM he kept talking about wanting to get us to having the old "Detroit model" where you have a lot of guys in the farm system that are maybe a little over developed and ready to go at the NHL level. 

The problem, however, was that he didn't have a lot of guy in the system that were "over developed" and NHL ready.

Now he's built a prospect pool that is producing NHL calibre talent and he has the confidence to start using it.

We're in a good spot.

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Arrow 1983 said:

Are the Canucks a cup contender next year. If so then you sign Markstrom. If not if the Canucks are cup contenders in 2-3 years that makes Markstrom 33-34 and I would say on the decline. Well Demko and dipietro would be on the rise

But there is the rub...……….

 

I get wanting Markstrom next year and maybe 2 years after...….but his decline will eventually come

Demko, being 24 still at the start of next years season, is a full 5 years younger, and truly does parallel our other core pieces

To me, its a pay me now or pay me later, senario

 

This is where, JB and Green and my opinion collide. I see Demko's long term contribution more important than Markstrom's, and I love Markstrom

Seriously, what does Marky bring in, compared to what Demko brings in?...….(In trade)

 

Yes, it is the old Vancouver goaltender controversy!

 

My vote, if one has to be moved is to move Marky for New jerseys - Arz 1st, but hearing JB talk, it doesn't sound like he agrees with me.

 

Imagine that!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/22/2020 at 3:17 PM, Ossi Vaananen said:

5 prospects to sign: Hoglander, Madden, Lockwood, Rathbone, and Focht. All of them a year in Utica at least. It's actually a rather impressive pipeline if they can make the team in staggered years on ELCs; which apparently is the plan. I'm starting to see guys who might be adept 3rd and 4th liners over paying free agents 3m+. 

 

I'm guessing that Benning's comments on no perceived Cap problem include letting vets like Tanev/Stecher expire. How else do we fit in 10 more guys with 18 mil?

 

So, therein lies the clear succession for next year - Juolevi and/or Rafferty making the squad. 

 

Woo too!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

Woo too!

This thread has let us rediscover that Woo is already signed! ::D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

This thread has let us rediscover that Woo is already signed! ::D

Damn....

 

 

 

Was so impressed with myself, that I didn't check.  

 

 

Just really wanted to say Woo Too, since we drafted him.  

 

 

 

 

That said, his deal hasn't counted against our limit, but it will next year.  Kinda, almost, maybe right??!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.