Sign in to follow this  
Provost

[Report] Anaheim Willing to Take Bad Contracts

Recommended Posts

So Anaheim realizes now it has to completely rebuild.  Word from the weekend is that they are willing to take on bad contracts. 

They have a ton of cap space including possible LTIR for guys like Kesler that they aren’t currently utilizing.

 

Becuase of our desperate need to shed cap (along with many teams) I would want to get on it quickly and give up a lot of futures to give us flexibility.  This is especially important to do now so we don’t push the ELC bonuses into next year.
 

Baertschi and Eriksson would cost us a lot to get rid of, but the opportunity cost of not having that space could cost us a lot more and mean our team next year has far less depth than this year.

 

Players I think we could afford to send out as sweeteners and not hurt our short term chances:

 

Roster players:  Stecher, Sutter, Benn, Demko 

 

Prospects: literally anyone aside from Hoglander and Podkolzin.

 

Something like:

 

Eriksson

Baertschi

Demko

Juolevi

Madden

 

for 

Miller

Getzlaf 50% retained 

Non roster pieces to even out contracts more

  • Confused 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, gurn said:

What desperate need?

 

Anaheim fan incognito I guess.

  • Burr 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, gurn said:

What desperate need?

 

Well, we are living day to day in LTIR limbo in regards to being over. If somehow, everyone was back right this second, we'd be pretty far over.

 

I'm certain the management has it under control, but, that doesn't change math, so it will be interesting to see what moves they make.


We've all suspected all season long that a couple forwards could be on the move at some point.


Earlier in the season, I thought that it would be any combo of Leivo, Loui, Sutter, and Pearson.

 

But I can not see them moving Pearson, unless of course someone over pays.

 

Perhaps we move Benn and a forward in the end?

 

There's not much wiggle room, that's for sure.

 

 Cap Hit $82,571,198
 Cap Space $-1,071,198
 LTIR Pool $4,333,805
Edited by xereau

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, gurn said:

What desperate need?

 

How do you plan on paying for the $3.7 million in Petterson and Hughes ELC bonuses without pushing into next year.

 

How are you planning on paying their next years bonuses so they don’t push into the following year when you are paying them full retail salaries?

 

How are you planning on re-signing or replacing our current players?  Basically all of them who have contracts up are the ones having career years and in for big raises?

  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Weirdest proposal ever... 

A real deal would look more like 

Ericsson for 

2nd round pick

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, xereau said:

Well, we are living day to day in LTIR limbo in regards to being over. If somehow, everyone was back right this second, we'd be pretty far over.

 

I'm certain the management has it under control, but, that doesn't change math, so it will be interesting to see what moves they make.


We've all suspected all season long that a couple forwards could be on the move at some point.


Earlier in the season, I thought that it would be any combo of Leivo, Loui, Sutter, and Pearson.

 

But I can not see them moving Pearson, unless of course someone over pays.

 

Perhaps we move Benn and a forward in the end?

 

There's not much wiggle room, that's for sure.

 

 Cap Hit $82,571,198
 Cap Space $-1,071,198
 LTIR Pool $4,333,805

... and that doesn’t include the $3.7 in ELC bonuses we have to find a way to pay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we're shipping out prospects that are likely going to be filling out our roster while still on entry level deals, doesn't it make the point kind of redundant?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

Weirdest proposal ever... 

A real deal would look more like 

Ericsson for 

2nd round pick

... and what “real” deals that have happened look like that.  You have just suggested an imaginary deal that doesn’t rely on another team having any say in the matter.

 

Marleau for 1yr of that same cap hit cost a 1st round pick, and Marleau was still a better player.  So how does Eriksson for 2.5 years cost way less?

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At this point I'd rather attach picks to bad contracts than our higher end prospects. They're going to be on ELCs filling out our roster when we're ready to compete, whereas whoever we use our picks on are likely still several years away from even being considered NHL ready. Our blueline pool still needs some significant upgrading, but as far as forwards and goaltending go, we're in about as good of shape as any other team in the league. Horvat, Petey, Boeser, Gaudette and Virtanen are all 24 or younger, while Miller and Pearson aren't exactly old timers at 26 and 27 respectively, and with Lind, Podkolzin, Hoglander, Madden all pretty close and all having top 6 potential, we're set for the next decade or so in terms of forwards.

 

It might be worth it to just write off a draft pretty much completely and use the picks as sweeteners to shed ourselves of bad salaries. With what Benning has done to restock the cupboards, I think he's earned the right use a few picks to fix some of the errors he's made without getting too much flack for it. 

Edited by 48MPHSlapShot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Provost said:

 

Becuase of our desperate need to shed cap (along with many teams) I would want to get on it quickly and give up a lot of futures to give us flexibility. 

JB was recently interviewed on 'The Athletic' and was specifically asked about the cap.

He said the team was well positioned with respect to this concern.  

I don't necessarily see how we're so 'desperate'?

  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just give them Benn baertschi and a 3rd, we take nothing back. They get guys to insulate their youth and a pick to use of a dman or goalie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

So sending out a future top pairing Dman (OJ) and a potential number one goalie (Demko) to get Miller and Getzlaf while playing 1/2 of of Getlaf's salary is your idea for a team coming out of a rebuild that has finally gotten younger, faster and better.   

 

UnacceptableOccasionalDeermouse-max-1mb.

Well since neither of those players is close to that at the moment and quite likely will never be that... yes.

Would you like the alternative of having to not re-sign Tanev, Stecher, or Levio and having to trade away Virtanen in the offseason to avoid his arbitration award... then replacing them all with rookies or cheap contracts under $1 million?  How about letting the ELC bonuses push into the year we are paying full ticket on Petterson and Hughes so that we have to trade away more players or replace them with cheap contracts.  We are suddenly the Oilers with no depth.. but worse because our top players aren't as good as their top players.

The prospects I mentioned are relatively disposable in our organization.  Demko won't make it past expansion and back up goalies could be had for cheap at that point since they can't be protected.  OJ is by no means guaranteed to be a top pairing D man, and only the most homer people suggest he is on track for that.  He could be a decent and useful guy and could slot in under Hughes.  Madden is likely never going to have a spot on our roster with a set group at centre for years to come.

It isn't without cost, but it also is of great benefit.

  • Confused 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, gurn said:

What desperate need?

 

CapFriendly shows the Canucks with 30K in end of season cap space - any performance bonus beyond that amount is going to count against next season's cap.  Getting healthy players back and taking Ferland off LTIR should increase the 30K but it's already 65% into the season so won't be enough to cover all the bonuses unless they trade off the roster.

 

Pettersson and Hughes look well on their way to hit their schedule A - combined 1.7M.  It seems less likely that Pettersson would hit his full schedule B of 2M.  It's for league wide performance like being top-10 in scoring or winning/placing on a major award.  He probably got the full 2M for the Calder last season.   

 

To create 1.7M with only 35% of the season left they would need to move out close to 5M by the end of this month.  The longer they wait to make a move the less cap space they can bank - the higher the bonus carry over.  At the TDL there's only 20% of the season left - if they are still at 30K (which is well possible if they are using LTIR) they would need to move out 8.5M at that date to reach 1.7M in end of season cap space to avoid a bonus carry over.

 

Next season is again the same issue as Pettersson and Hughes will still be on their ELCs.  If Juolevi or another bonus eligible prospect make the team there could be even more bonuses owed.  

 

Edited by mll
  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Provost said:

Well since neither of those players is close to that at the moment and quite likely will never be that... yes.

Would you like the alternative of having to not re-sign Tanev, Stecher, or Levio and having to trade away Virtanen in the offseason to avoid his arbitration award... then replacing them all with rookies or cheap contracts under $1 million?  How about letting the ELC bonuses push into the year we are paying full ticket on Petterson and Hughes so that we have to trade away more players or replace them with cheap contracts.  We are suddenly the Oilers with no depth.. but worse because our top players aren't as good as their top players.

The prospects I mentioned are relatively disposable in our organization.  Demko won't make it past expansion and back up goalies could be had for cheap at that point since they can't be protected.  OJ is by no means guaranteed to be a top pairing D man, and only the most homer people suggest he is on track for that.  He could be a decent and useful guy and could slot in under Hughes.  Madden is likely never going to have a spot on our roster with a set group at centre for years to come.

It isn't without cost, but it also is of great benefit.

You literally live in a hell of an alternative universe.   Also very pleased your version of CAP issues is not real.

 

You are welcome to join this world at any point.   In this world, such coveted prospects are not traded for ancient players let alone two prospects that show all signs of being potential star players.   This world is more fun that your world.    Choose fun - it is literally, well, more fun.   :)

  • Hydration 2
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

JB was recently interviewed on 'The Athletic' and was specifically asked about the cap.

He said the team was well positioned with respect to this concern.  

I don't necessarily see how we're so 'desperate'?

I had forgotten how many posters on CDC know more about Canuck CAP space and their plans for such than the GM does.   My bad but I have been reminded and put in my place.    Apparently you need reminding too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Provost said:

How do you plan on paying for the $3.7 million in Petterson and Hughes ELC bonuses without pushing into next year.

 

How are you planning on paying their next years bonuses so they don’t push into the following year when you are paying them full retail salaries?

 

How are you planning on re-signing or replacing our current players?  Basically all of them who have contracts up are the ones having career years and in for big raises?

ask jim and the management staff

i believe it was only today that he confirmed the salary cap issue is well in hand

what makes you believe he was misleading the fan base

that is unlike jb

 

why the need to pretend the sky is about to fall?

or perhaps i should reword that to say

why hold the serious belief we are in salary cap hell when there is little to base that on

Edited by coastal.view

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

At this point I'd rather attach picks to bad contracts than our higher end prospects. They're going to be on ELCs filling out our roster when we're ready to compete, whereas whoever we use our picks on are likely still several years away from even being considered NHL ready. Our blueline pool still needs some significant upgrading, but as far as forwards and goaltending go, we're in about as good of shape as any other team in the league. Horvat, Petey, Boeser, Gaudette and Virtanen are all 24 or younger, while Miller and Pearson aren't exactly old timers at 26 and 27 respectively, and with Lind, Podkolzin, Hoglander, Madden all pretty close and all having top 6 potential, we're set for the next decade or so in terms of forwards.

 

It might be worth it to just write off a draft pretty much completely and use the picks as sweeteners to shed ourselves of bad salaries. With what Benning has done to restock the cupboards, I think he's earned the right use a few picks to fix some of the errors he's made without getting too much flack for it. 

For sure. I am fine with parting with picks rather than prospects. We have a lot of guys on the cusp and need to keep it that way since we are in a position to really benefit from it.

 

Some prospects like Karlsson, Palmu, Lockwood, Costmar, Brisebois, Goldy i'd be more than fine with parting with however.

 

Also if there's anyone I want out of Anaheim it's Rakell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.