The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Anaheim Willing to Take Bad Contracts

Remembering with inner joy how Provost said that mouthing off about Virtanen fulfilling his potential made me look like an idiot. 

This proposal is all kinds of irony. 

There is zero chance we are giving up that much talent to prevent a largely overblown cap problem. Zero. 

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

For sure. I am fine with parting with picks rather than prospects. We have a lot of guys on the cusp and need to keep it that way since we are in a position to really benefit from it.

Some prospects like Karlsson, Palmu, Lockwood, Costmar, Brisebois, Goldy i'd be more than fine with parting with however.

Also if there's anyone I want out of Anaheim it's Rakell

Intrigued at potentially getting Rakell... Not sure if we have what they want for him though. If they're serious about a rebuild, its going to cost us something of high value(picks+prospects), especially if we want to send Eriksson back their way. Maybe a future 1st? 2020 2nd+4th? What would you think it would take to get Rakell?

Edited by Chickenspear

8 hours ago, Chickenspear said:

Intrigued at potentially getting Rakell... Not sure if we have what they want for him though. If they're serious about a rebuild, its going to cost us something of high value(picks+prospects), especially if we want to send Eriksson back their way. Maybe a future 1st? 2020 2nd+4th? What would you think it would take to get Rakell?

Either high picks and decent prospects or decent picks and good prospects. A lot of them too.

I'd rather give up some high picks. We are in more of a position to benefit from guys being on the cusp and I feel Anaheim would want high picks preferably.

We could live without a draft.

• Cheers 1

On 1/21/2020 at 4:27 PM, Drakrami said:

Weirdest proposal ever... 

A real deal would look more like 

Ericsson for 

2nd round pick

Marleau was traded for a first rounder with one year left on his deal. 

You can gaurentee Anaheim would be looking a first and, perhaps, a prospect to take Eriksson.

It would probably be more like whichever first doesn't go to Tampa and one of Podkolzin, Madden, Hoglander, or maybe Demko.

But JB's already stated he's not going to part with any of our prospects or picks.

The uncertainty surrounding Marky's future here makes it tough to trade Demko and any roster players they'd want'JB'already said he's not dealing.

I don't see Anaheim as a viable trade option.

• Wat 1

46 minutes ago, komodo0921 said:

You can gaurentee Anaheim would be looking a first and, perhaps, a prospect to take Eriksson.

It would probably be more like whichever first doesn't go to Tampa and one of Podkolzin, Madden, Hoglander, or maybe Demko.

But JB's already stated he's not going to part with any of our prospects or picks.

The uncertainty surrounding Marky's future here makes it tough to trade Demko and any roster players they'd want'JB'already said he's not dealing.

I believe JB said he wouldn’t trade young players or picks for a rental.

For creating cap Alex so he could keep other players, maybe.

1 hour ago, komodo0921 said:

Just because Dubass is a complete and utter imbecile understanding hockey doesn’t mean JB is too.  Your bridge is on fire! 

This still doesn’t make a whole lot of sense to me. We’re counting on these prospects to be ready to contribute while still on entry level deals, thus saving us from having to spend the money on free agents. If we trade our best prospects away to get rid of bad contracts, we’ll still have to replace those players somehow, and we won’t have any prospects on entry level deals to do it. So what do we do? Go to free agency and overpay, putting us right back into a cap crunch, only with even more term to get through than the contracts we currently have on the books, and still leaving us without any decent prospects? Trade picks for players with decent preexisting deals, which would leave us without prospects OR picks? Ship out part of our core, which would pretty much kill any chances at seriously contending?

• Like 1

The fact that Benning is so nonchalant about the cap (he’s not exactly a fantastic poker player) leads me to believe he has inside knowledge that it’s not a problem at all.

Perhaps he has a handshake deal to move Baertschi when/if it is necessary. Or maybe Eriksson has confirmed he will retire after his next signing bonus is paid. Or perhaps Benning already knows he’s letting Tanev walk. Whatever it is, it’s only speculation on our part.

The team right now is positioned quite well for a potential playoff run. There are a lot of teams in the West that aren’t performing to expectations (Nashville, Vegas, San Jose, Calgary, Winnipeg), and so a high seed and a potential playoff run are real possibilities this season. Giving up valuable depth like Demko (who is good insurance in case of injury to Marky...not to mention why Anaheim would be interested with Gibson there and the expansion draft coming) and Madden (who I suspect will be signed after his NCAA season is complete) at this point would be silly.

My suggestion is to relax and enjoy the ride. It’s been a while since the team was any good, close Cap Friendly and just soak it in, man. B)

Edited by D-Money
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

Benning says they have a plan. He has always been honest and upfront compared to many GMs and when he says this, I believe him.

Would it be nice to move out dead cap hits? Absolutely. But if Jim is indeed being up front, it shouldn't come at a cost any higher than surplus players and b level prospects.

On 1/21/2020 at 8:10 PM, Provost said:

Well since neither of those players is close to that at the moment and quite likely will never be that... yes.

Would you like the alternative of having to not re-sign Tanev, Stecher, or Levio and having to trade away Virtanen in the offseason to avoid his arbitration award... then replacing them all with rookies or cheap contracts under $1 million?  How about letting the ELC bonuses push into the year we are paying full ticket on Petterson and Hughes so that we have to trade away more players or replace them with cheap contracts.  We are suddenly the Oilers with no depth.. but worse because our top players aren't as good as their top players.

The prospects I mentioned are relatively disposable in our organization.  Demko won't make it past expansion and back up goalies could be had for cheap at that point since they can't be protected.  OJ is by no means guaranteed to be a top pairing D man, and only the most homer people suggest he is on track for that.  He could be a decent and useful guy and could slot in under Hughes.  Madden is likely never going to have a spot on our roster with a set group at centre for years to come.

It isn't without cost, but it also is of great benefit.

Madden is currently having a hobey baker quality season - and we will need to replace Beagle eventually plus you never know he could be good enough to play higher in the depth chart and of course could be moved to the wing.    We need as many of our prospects as we can to hit - and replace expensive place holders to balance the cap too - otherwise these expensive guys will just need replacing with - well more expensive guys.   

The cost to teade LE after this season is over would be a lot more then Marleau .... Bear - well twice gone through waivers now he's not leaving without a nice add too.   We can wiggle past the next offseason but the one after that is going to require something to shake loose so get the idea of been proactive... hope Alf is right and LE plans to retire after this seasons up and he's got the lions share of his contract.  

Eventually our team will get a new round of free buyouts too - expect it to be part of the next CBA.  Could be part of why JB doesn't admit we have any cap issues at all going forward.