The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Would you like to see Kesler in the Ring of Honour?

Rate this topic

iBlueGreen

What do you think about Ryan Kesler in the Ring of Honour?  

336 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

9 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Good question to ask his who is more deserving Luo or Kesler?

Kesler handcuffed the team but Luo went back to the team he was more loyal too.

*And f'd us over with the ridiculous cap recapture penalty. I love Luo for what he did here (thus far our best goalie ever)....but that's taken the shine off. Combined with him clearly being more loyal to the Panthers...I dunno if that's ROH. It's a tough call for me.

He's like the girl you were sure you were going to marry but she cheated on you while on vacation in sunny FLA, is now married to that guy...yet you're still paying her rent.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

*And f'd us over with the ridiculous cap recapture penalty. I love Luo for what he did here (thus far our best goalie ever)....but that's taken the shine off. Combined with him clearly being more loyal to the Panthers...I dunno if that's ROH. It's a tough call for me.

He's like the girl you were sure you were going to marry but she cheated on you while on vacation in sunny FLA, is now married to that guy...yet you're still paying her rent.

So true.

• Cheers 3

9 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Luongo is way higher up the ladder.  He's on the verge of number retirement, let alone ROH.  Kesler is on the borderline between ROH and nothing.  Guaranteed Luongo gets ROH at a minimum.

Kesler is actually behind Edler, whom I would say is also guaranteed ROH.

I dunno. For me, it comes down to on-ice performance for both of them - and I don't consider Luongo any higher than Kesler in that sense - actually when push comes to shove I'd take Kesler over Luongo for what they brought between the whistles.

People forget the team before Luongo. A literal goalie graveyard. We finally have a successor in Markstrom. 

Kesler was a heart and soul player but he wanted out for his own personal pursuits. Luongo didn’t want to leave but the lockout made things complicated with the teams cap structure. I think it’s too soon for either to be honored but I’d give it to Lu over Kes any day. Prior to Lu, the team was a joke. 

I don't know, my opinion of Kesler has changed (since the ceremony), but does one great season earn him that spot? But then I look at Burr, he's in the Ring, but yet his stats aren't as good as Kes'. I think they'll eventually get Kesler (and Lu) in the Ring, because the Canucks are a classy organization.   

• 2 weeks later...

Don’t get how people could hate Kesler. Nothing negative could be said about the way he played when he was here, dude gave it all he had every single shift. Regarding how he left, the 2014 was disastrous. Any player would jump ship to get away from the gong show that was the Canucks that season. Kesler had like 4 surgeries at that point

and was well over 30, he should have and did demand to go to a contender for a shot at the Cup while he was still a decent player. He had a NTC, so he had every right to demand to be traded to whatever team he wanted. Yes it sucked for us that he demanded only to go to a couple teams, but the Canucks were rebuilding at the time anyways and all Kesler really did was exercise his rights that were in his contract.

I didn’t blame him for leaving at all, in fact I admired his sheer competitiveness for a shot at the Cup, given how close we were in 2011. 
I get that he may rub people the wrong way, but deep down the dude has a good heart and some of the vitriol towards him the last few years had been uncalled for. He definitely deserves to be honoured by the Canucks. 

19 hours ago, Zdawg said:

Don’t get how people could hate Kesler. Nothing negative could be said about the way he played when he was here, dude gave it all he had every single shift. Regarding how he left, the 2014 was disastrous. Any player would jump ship to get away from the gong show that was the Canucks that season. Kesler had like 4 surgeries at that point

and was well over 30, he should have and did demand to go to a contender for a shot at the Cup while he was still a decent player. He had a NTC, so he had every right to demand to be traded to whatever team he wanted. Yes it sucked for us that he demanded only to go to a couple teams, but the Canucks were rebuilding at the time anyways and all Kesler really did was exercise his rights that were in his contract.

I didn’t blame him for leaving at all, in fact I admired his sheer competitiveness for a shot at the Cup, given how close we were in 2011. 
I get that he may rub people the wrong way, but deep down the dude has a good heart and some of the vitriol towards him the last few years had been uncalled for. He definitely deserves to be honoured by the Canucks. 

For what exactly? Being a hockey player on a winning team? How about Bieska... he had the winning goal against the sharks to put them in the finals... you want him in there as well?

• Cheers 1

On 1/22/2020 at 3:22 PM, iBlueGreen said:

I listened to Sportnet Ryan Kesler on Sportsnet 650 on my way home today, listen at 11:30. He mentions how he'd feel if he was inducted like Burrows.  In the interview he states, as well he regrets how he left the Canuck market.  

What do you think about Ryan Kesler in the Ring of Honour? 

https://www.sportsnet.ca/650/the-program/ryan-kesler-discusses-importance-confidence-team-2/

I'd really like to see him there sometime in the future.  I understand he's was an ass the way he left, but we all know that type of personality got us to the cup final as well.  

The greatest line from him is: "I think about the loss almost every month' and even imagined how the parade would be.

Share your thoughts. Also vote in the poll.

Hell yes!!! he deserves to be up there!!! 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

i have no more bad feelings toward Kesler leaving.  He has stated his opinion on what his thoughts are now and the decision he made.  However I don’t believe he should be in the ring of honour because a player who demands a trade shouldn’t be honoured by the team they decided to leave.  Bure was an exception only because we waited a very long time to retire his number and he his one of the top Canucks of all time

On 2/23/2020 at 4:58 PM, Zdawg said:

I can think of negative things about his playing days, he was a whinny person who was ego centric, and never made his linemates better... He had a couple of good seasons, one good playoff series, and then left like a little spoiled brat, handcuffing us on his way out. We have way to many meh players in the rafters and on the ring of honour already, so let's not honour people who weren't honourable...

And a good heart? Did you ever meet the guy? He was a grade A penis head 

Edited by kylecanuck