The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Would you like to see Kesler in the Ring of Honour?

Rate this topic

iBlueGreen

What do you think about Ryan Kesler in the Ring of Honour?  

336 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

19 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Rats are the first that desert a sinking ship.:P

I can overlook the offer sheet he signed that made Dave Nonis' job more difficult....it's the handcuff he put on Benning that makes it tougher for me to swallow (one or two team demand list).

The attitude after scoring his first against us still irks me to this date. I can forgive him for trying get a fresh start elsewhere, but the demands? That ain't no ring of honor worthy 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

I have no bad feelings towards Kesler. It's his career to do what he wants with. And Bure did the same thing and he is revered by all, including myself.

Kes deserves to be up there, he was a warrior and the only selke winner in franchise history.

Bure was done dirty by management, so I would not have Kesler and Bure in the same boat here.

With that said, I'd reserve ring on honour to players that wanted to be here even if/when things got bad. Bieksa, Burrows, etc. They were traded but they didn't ask for an out. So I personally don't think he deserves a spot there. I appreciate what he did when he was here. He was a major part of that 2011 team. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Hell yes. He was a heart and soul player, and left at the start of a rebuild. It sucks, but it's his career. We got his best years, and considering how his last few in the league went, at least we got something for him before his body fell apart.... and it fell apart because how hard he played every night for the blue and green.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I will always be a Kesler fan, things went sour but end of the day he played his heart out for years for this organization.  and that 2011 cup run I felt he was our best player until the injury, guy was a beast and he is remorseful on how he left, we are all human. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I thought he had a screw loose when he broke his finger and he was telling the trainer to cut it off it meant he could keep playing. 

I like players with drive and determination. But some times, take a breath. And see the doctor. 

Henrik had the tip of his pinky amputated to avoid missing 4-6 weeks. 

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/henrik-sedin-loses-finger-tip/article747269/

But for Kesler, it's a yes for how he played here, but a no for how he left.

• Upvote 1

Loved Kes, but I have mixed feelings about putting him in. Same goes for Luongo.

One of the big reasons I’m pushing towards a no is because of our fanbase. We have a emotional fanbase, just read a GDT, one day it’s Fire Green, next day it’s plan the parade. Most of the fans are still hurt and betrayed over Kes leaving, wouldn’t be a popular.

Personally was mad about him leaving, but got over it a couple years ago. We were trending downwards to a rebuilding team and he wanted no parts. Can’t blame the guy, he wanted a cup, and probably saw those Willie D years coming :lol:. Worst part about the entire situation was him choosing like 1 team tho, but I’ve gotten over that as well.

I think fans should give the podcast at try, even if you don’t like Kesler. The stories of the teams are too good to miss out on. Ballard almost getting jumped, Keenan evacuating the team of the ice, knocking on couples banging doors and good guest like Kas and Burr. Ik some people who said they are slowly losing their hate for Kes after a few episodes.

End of the day time heals but I know for a fact a lot of fans going to the graveyard with ‘Kes is a douche’ in the back of their head.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

44 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

luongo gave us the bigger screw job then kes, canucks should burn his 1

Not the same circumstances at all. Kesler up and forced a trade, where Luongo was patient after expressing his preference and then the Heritage Classic and Torts forced it, not him.

1 hour ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

I have no bad feelings towards Kesler. It's his career to do what he wants with. And Bure did the same thing and he is revered by all, including myself.

Kes deserves to be up there, he was a warrior and the only selke winner in franchise history.

It's not the trade demand, it's the fact that he restricted us to basically one team to trade with giving us no leverage to move a player still in his prime. He was probably right that the team likely had peaked and was on the decline and it's fair that he wanted another crack at it, but we could've gotten a king's ransom for a player of his calibre had he been willing to go to any playoff contending team and that would've contributed massively towards a rebuild/retool.

I still respect his time here, but he gave up his right to any "honour" when he left the way he did.

Bure put our team back on the map. He was singlehandedly electrifying. Bure didn't restrict where we could move him. The report is that management at that time screwed him over and pissed him off and therefore it was more "our" fault. I don't equate their situations as being equal.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, 'NucK™ said:

you know he either lost an edge there or the Det fwd hooked his right skate.. right..? 

Sure.

HERE

HERE

HERE

HERE

AND HERE TOO

And if that is not convincing, let’s remember he asked to be traded and was arrogant enough to talk about it in front of and with his Olympic teammates.

The Ring of Honour should not include Kesler.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

With that said, I'd reserve ring on honour to players that wanted to be here even if/when things got bad. Bieksa, Burrows, etc. They were traded but they didn't ask for an out. So I personally don't think he deserves a spot there. I appreciate what he did when he was here. He was a major part of that 2011 team. 

His performance in the Nashville series was glorious. He was too good.

Still no ring o honour