The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Would you like to see Kesler in the Ring of Honour?

Rate this topic

iBlueGreen

What do you think about Ryan Kesler in the Ring of Honour?  

336 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

14 minutes ago, CanuckGAME said:

Recapture.

1 minute ago, Squamfan said:

Cap recapture

That is more the league's fault than it is Luongo for signing a legal contract that was retroactively penalized. Luongo could have gone on LTIR instead of retiring, but then he would be punishing the team he's currently with which also doesn't make sense. If he retired in the following two years, the damage would've been way worse, so in a sense, this was the least damaging way for us while helping his team. Benning knew it was a possibility and had plans accordingly.

Our organization didn't exactly handle the Luongo situation very well before he left here too. Otherwise based on his contract, he seemed to be okay with finishing his career here. Kesler on the other hand jumped (a sinking) ship and took the bucket with him to not even give us a chance to bail ourselves out.

• Upvote 2

How many of one of us were perfect all the way through our life and never made any mistakes?

Part of life is forgiveness. Especially if the person understands that what they did was wrong. 

I say forgive the guy, and honour him for what he did well for us. 

No.

The guy held the organization hostage when demanding to leave. Sucks the way he was forced out of the league but don't let the door hit your ass on the way out.

Edited by st33
  • Like 1

No, but not because of how he left or any of those bad feelings. I don't really hold much against Kesler--I just want to retain a high standard of play and longevity for our honours and I'm not sure Kesler quite reaches that standard.

• Upvote 3

39 minutes ago, CanuckGAME said:

Kesler 100% deserves to be in...   one of the greatest players this franchise has ever had.  

You can hate the way he left but nothing will ever take his accomplishments away in this market.

There's a legacy that you leave behind and for Kesler it's a bitter taste. If he had respected this team more, he could've made his trade demands privately. Once it became public that he restricted us to two teams (one which was a massive rival at the time and didn't have the cap to acquire him anyway) before a deal was even made really handcuffed us.

I can respect that he wanted to have another kick at the cap and am not upset that he wanted out, but the way he handled was all wrong. Nevermind the fact that he signed an offer sheet earlier in his career to also handcuff us then as well. Doesn't seem like a player that really wanted to be here. Not sure why we would give him the type of honour that is a representation of being a Canuck. When he does officially retired, and say he joins the Ducks in a management role, I'm fine with him getting a tribute for his time here, but ring of honour is too much for someone that didn't show a whole lot of honour.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

I hold nothing against the guy and honestly have no feelings about how he left. Mainly because I wanted him gone long before he wanted out. Good player, not ROH material, and just never liked the arrogant, diving, wannabe tuff guy style. Many others far more deserving. 

25 minutes ago, Toyotasfan said:

I think he has to remove the duck crap from his Twitter first.

50F5382E-3B46-4320-AAFB-2532C3671506.jpeg

He's still technically a Duck. What's more, he spent many years there as well, so it's understandable that he would be fond of Anaheim as well.

• Upvote 1

Have to say the its a tough one... Probably have go with @Canuck Surfer... Maybe in time.

Kesler was my favourite Canuck, and I wanted him as Captain of the team. Only Canuck to ever win the Selke... Loved the intensity, not so much the diving, but that was an issue league wise...

However,... still can't stomach, how he left the team.

Get that he wanted a cup, but so did Sedins, Burrows, Bieksa, Hansen, Higgins etc... once it became evident it was less likely to happen in a Canucks uniform, they didn't think of no.1 like Kesler did....

I also seem to recall him moaning about the fans giving him abuse, when he visited with Ducks... If he loved his time so much in Vancouver, he should have taken the sticks, he got on the chin, and said, he understood the fans reaction... being humble was never the Kesler way, so he didn't, and thus, for now at least, I don't see him in the ring of honour... Just like Luongo... 

Kesler thought of himself and his career first and foremost. Fair on him, but don't come crawling afterwards, when you leave the rest to rot, and ask for a seat at the top table...

Luongo 'my contract sucks' was in that boat too... $5.3 for 12 years... yeah cry me a river. And then a final salute to Canucks, when he didn't go long term ill like half the players in the league on these bloated contracts has, but left the us hanging with a recap penalty for the next 3 years... Like Kesler, he did, what was best for him, but definitely not the Canucks. 

Maybe in time there will be room, quite sure there will be, but definitely not yet... That status should be kept open for the players, who bleed green and blue, and did what was asked of them...

Edited by spook007
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Echoing some of the sentiments in this thread,

- I personally don't view him negatively for demanding a trade only to a couple of contenders, since stars on declining teams do that when they want to win and it's honestly part of the business.  

- That being said, as a fan I still resent him for asking out and doing so in a way that has come to be perceived as burning bridges

- Overall I don't think he belongs in the team's Ring of Honor.  I respect the warrior that he was on the ice but I don't see that he has a place in there, as the ending of his time here does again tarnish the legacy a bit; otherwise if we're going to assign guys for being warriors I'd honestly have Luongo (being the loyal player he was despite being dumped on) and even the late Rick Rypien (for his heart, effort and inspiration that he was to many people with mental health issues) above him    

57 minutes ago, Unknown1995 said:

How many of one of us were perfect all the way through our life and never made any mistakes?

Part of life is forgiveness. Especially if the person understands that what they did was wrong. 

him trying to achieve his life goal to get a cup isnt a mistake, but i still forgive him.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, shiznak said:

People are upset that Luongo’s screwed us by retiring early, but are forgiven of what Kesler did because he regrets how he left.

Yep, that totally makes sense.

wish he could try and find some excuse to retire early but i dont blame him for what he did.

Hindsight Kesler was right to want too leave. Canucks where just crap with zero chance to go on any playoff run. This team was over do for a rebuild. Canucks trading him was absolutely the right thing to do regardless of Kesler wanting to leave.  Unfortunately he had a stupid move clause. Burrows and Hansen should of been traded sooner also. 

Edited by HockeyHarry

1 hour ago, Unknown1995 said:

I agree with this. Everyone deserves a second chance, in sure someone gave you all a second chance in life from a mistake.

Nope.

It's the ring of Honour. There is nothing honourable about how he forced the team to send him to the Ducks. I can appreciate his desire to win and not wanting to go through a rebuild, but he insisted we set him up exactly like he wanted at the expense of the team.

If he had simply requested a trade behind closed doors and allowed us send him where we could get the best return, I would have no problem with it. But history is history, and it cannot be rewritten by eventual reflection.

• Cheers 2

Kesler wanted to win and it was obvious to him that our roster wasn't going to be able to. As he mentioned on the radio, as you grow older, you realize that you're mortal and that opportunity to win may not come again. I respect him for how bad he wants to win.

Maybe if he was younger he would have been okay with sinking with the ship until the team was okay to compete again. We are now becoming a playoff team and clearly he was right not to do that with where he is right now in his career.

As far as I remember, he kept his ask for a trade internal but it was leaked by media. He was professional and he did what he thought was right.

Has always shown love for the city and its fans. True warrior. Voted yes easily.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Voted no. I am over with my anger of how he left the team, but there are so many deserving players who hasn’t made it on the ring of honour. And it is a ring of honour for a reason. To me the next guy should be Alex Edler. I would’ve included Luongo but him choosing to retire screwing us with the cap-recapture penalty (I still love Lou and he will always be my favourite Canucks goalie), he shouldn’t be on it as well. To be there you have to be heart and soul player of the team while every decision you made have the team’s best interest at heart as well. Edler took a pay cut and less term just to remain in Vancouver this summer, it proves how much he loves this city and this team. 

• Cheers 1