The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Would you like to see Kesler in the Ring of Honour?

Rate this topic

iBlueGreen

What do you think about Ryan Kesler in the Ring of Honour?  

336 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 hours ago, shiznak said:

People are upset that Luongo’s screwed us by retiring early, but are forgiven of what Kesler did because he regrets how he left.

Yep, that totally makes sense.

The NHL nailing us with a penalty for a contract that was perfectly legal at the time it was made is absolutely not Luongo’s fault. I’m not making excuses because they let LA get out of Richards’ penalty and New Jersey out of Kovalchuk’s. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, luckylager said:

No.

There's no honour in the way he left.

If I recall correctly it wasn't Kesler who necessarily asked for a trade.  When Benning came in and wanted to hit the reset button, he identified Kesler as a guy who could bring asset back before it was too late.  Afterward Kesler only exercised his right to use his NTC that was earned and handed down to him by the Canucks.  What's the point of an NTC, if we are going to hold it against the player if he doesn't waive it.

I think in due time, I would like to see Kesler in the ring of honour.  Whether you liked his antics or not sometimes, he did leave it all on the ice for the Canucks.  He single handedly beat Nashville in 2011.  However, I don't think it need to happen rightaway once he retire, I don't mind waiting a little bit.

6 hours ago, shiznak said:

People are upset that Luongo’s screwed us by retiring early, but are forgiven of what Kesler did because he regrets how he left.

Yep, that totally makes sense.

MG screwed us on that deal too, the reality is we wouldn't have the team we ha did back then if he didn't either, or the run quite possibly too as Luongo had definitely earned more pay on a shorter deal.   He retired, and didn't fake a disease or injury which is actually the honourable thing to do.  Yeah we have to pay the piper.   Just like NSH will when Weber retires early and a few other teams are also doing right now with us on other deals.

Like it or not it was circumventing the cap and GMs would have continued on that path giving themselves unfair advantages if the league didn't step in and nip it in the butt.

As for a few making the Bure comparisons....well him sitting out and leaving  sure felt like a betrayal back then, and hurt a lot more then losing Kesler... I blame Messier because it's easier ha ha.  So yeah I can get on board with both these parts in our history being similar, it takes two to tango and Bure set his heart at getting out of dodge rather then working out a deal to stay here.   Even if he was low balled.

Kesler wanting to go to a new team was fine - the way he went about it wasn't - and that's going to take some time for some fans which I get.  Personally I didn't like the return which is what my beef was more then anything.   His douchery aside - no way we win two presidents trophies and go to game 7 of a final without him.  For that I'm thankful, and by on ice play alone of course he should be there.   If he's willing to spend the time to apologize and state his regrets he should get in.  Maybe a "shame" chain across the Lions Gate or something he walks naked while fans line up and shame him. 

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Westcoasting said:

Let's put everyone in!! Gold participation badges for everyone as well.

That team was pretty special though.   Hard not to place some of them on a pedestal....the 2011 run was amazing and they held down top honours (there's that word) in the league.  That accounts for why the roster is revered (like the '94 one).

We’re still feeling the effects of what he did to us. Guy was a warrior for us, but at the end of the day he bent us over a table and went to town. Eventually he’ll get in, but the wound is still too fresh. He dishonoured his team, his fans, and his uniform by handcuffing us like he did, and I’m not going to forget it.

Apologizing for handcuffing us might be a start. I don’t give a $&!# about what he said in the media. What I care about is are the very tangible results of his actions.

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Me_ said:

Sure.

HERE

HERE

HERE

HERE

AND HERE TOO

And if that is not convincing, let’s remember he asked to be traded and was arrogant enough to talk about it in front of and with his Olympic teammates.

The Ring of Honour should not include Kesler.

Perhaps you should've chosen one that was actually a dive to put on the first page then.. 

• Haha 1

Yes.

Kesler left a team that was going through a rebuild, but didn't know it yet. Did he hamstring the team with his demands? Sure. However, when you sign a contract and it has clauses in it, you have a right to use those clauses. Could he have widened the scope of teams he was willing to be traded to? Sure.

In the end, he was a great player for the Canucks, one of the best in the history of the team. Without him, I highly doubt the Canucks make it as far as they did in 2011.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

I'd vote no when you take it all into account, which unfortunately includes a bit of dishonorable conduct, but he's close.

IN:

Richard Brodeur (only goalie to be team MVP three times)

Alex Edler

Roberto Luongo

CLOSE OR IN:

Gino Odjick

Andre Boudrias

Doug Lidster

Tony Tanti

Ryan Kesler

Tiger Williams before his legal issues...

DESERVE CONSIDERATION:

Cliff Ronning

Dennis Kearns

Petri Skriko

Don Lever

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Upvote 1