The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Would you like to see Kesler in the Ring of Honour?

Rate this topic

iBlueGreen

What do you think about Ryan Kesler in the Ring of Honour?  

336 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

A ring of honour should be for what a player does on and off the ice and for the respect shown to both the organization and fanbase throughout his career with that organization.   Kesler was arguably one of the top three "all around" forwards in the game for a few seasons in Vancouver and added immensely to the Canuck success during those seasons.     However, on all other fronts (not just what you have seen published), he was less than a model Canuck and had a reputation for being very much a "me first" player.    I also know a fair number of people in the goalie game - who know Cory really well.   Will leave it at that.

5 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

A ring of honour should be for what a player does on and off the ice and for the respect shown to both the organization and fanbase throughout his career with that organization.   Kesler was arguably one of the top three "all around" forwards in the game for a few seasons in Vancouver and added immensely to the Canuck success during those seasons.     However, on all other fronts (not just what you have seen published), he was less than a model Canuck and had a reputation for being very much a "me first" player.    I also know a fair number of people in the goalie game - who know Cory really well.   Will leave it at that.

that whole Schneider thing is BS. There no actually proof it happened, and if it did happen you think Kes wife would have been with him still.

23 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I think he was a Selke finalist five times.  You can pick apart his achievements and character, but his Selke credentials are pretty much beyond reproach.

I don't agree and I'll leave it at that.

As to the way he left the 'Nucks? I say, so what! A player wanting a trade out of town happens.  Roster's rarely stand pat after successful seasons and the Kes situation was a casualty not unlike other teams had to deal with. With that said......

I'm all for his induction in the ROH. Dude's credentials when a Canuck says it all. He was a passionate player for his team. A warrior. A team mate you'd want on your team. I recall him saying, when he played for the USA olympic team, that he hated team Canada. That's truly heated passion. You cannot deny he was such for our 'Nucks. And remember, he was a late 1st rounder that we chose. An original Canuck!  Dedicated as such for the decade he was with us. But......

We CDC'ers love to bitch about how hurt we are. How he left town and left us bitter as all h#ll. Well, I got news for ya'....we're passionate about our team too! It may take a bit more time for those who still hold a grudge against Kes for his decision back then, but you can't deny he deserves his name up there.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, NexusRift said:

As to the way he left the 'Nucks? I say, so what! A player wanting a trade out of town happens.  Roster's rarely stand pat after successful seasons and the Kes situation was a casualty not unlike other teams had to deal with. With that said......

I'm all for his induction in the ROH. Dude's credentials when a Canuck says it all. He was a passionate player for his team. A warrior. A team mate you'd want on your team. I recall him saying, when he played for the USA olympic team, that he hated team Canada. That's truly heated passion. You cannot deny he was such for our 'Nucks. And remember, he was a late 1st rounder that we chose. An original Canuck!  Dedicated as such for the decade he was with us. But......

We CDC'ers love to bitch about how hurt we are. How he left town and left us bitter as all h#ll. Well, I got news for ya'....we're passionate about our team too! It may take a bit more time for those who still hold a grudge against Kes for his decision back then, but you can't deny he deserves his name up there.

Read back on some of the posts. Most aren't upset about him wanting to leave and actually feel like it was fair to ask. It was how he went about it, which hurt our team. He never really cared for Vancouver (signed an offer sheet with Philly) beyond seeing us be a top team to try and get him to a Cup, but when that failed, he moved on. He didn't really seem to respect the city or the organization which doesn't bode well when trying to enter a ring of "honour".

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Read back on some of the posts. Most aren't upset about him wanting to leave and actually feel like it was fair to ask. It was how he went about it, which hurt our team. He never really cared for Vancouver (signed an offer sheet with Philly) beyond seeing us be a top team to try and get him to a Cup, but when that failed, he moved on. He didn't really seem to respect the city or the organization which doesn't bode well when trying to enter a ring of "honour".

Yup...he always had a bit of a rep as a self serving douche.

He left like a self serving douche.

Self serving douche doesn't exactly scream 'ROH'. I don't care how good of a player you are/were.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, timberz21 said:

If I recall correctly it wasn't Kesler who necessarily asked for a trade.  When Benning came in and wanted to hit the reset button, he identified Kesler as a guy who could bring asset back before it was too late.  Afterward Kesler only exercised his right to use his NTC that was earned and handed down to him by the Canucks.  What's the point of an NTC, if we are going to hold it against the player if he doesn't waive it.

I think in due time, I would like to see Kesler in the ring of honour.  Whether you liked his antics or not sometimes, he did leave it all on the ice for the Canucks.  He single handedly beat Nashville in 2011.  However, I don't think it need to happen rightaway once he retire, I don't mind waiting a little bit.

He has every right to use his NTC as he pleases. Unfortunately the way he did use it was detrimental to our future. We had no choice, but to move him and were only given two teams to work with, one of which was a rival and didn't have the cap space. He didn't need to waive it, but there were certainly more playoff contending teams than the ones he listed. Even if he was deadset on those teams, when it became public that those were the two teams before a deal was made really handcuffed us. All of this could've been handled behind closed doors and he could've still gotten his wish while we gained the most we could have. Benning actually still did alright considering the circumstances.

I will forgive and forget about it at some point and won't boo his presence, but I still don't think he is deserving of a ring of honour induction.

47 minutes ago, BowtieCanuck said:

The Ring of Honour should be for players who personified the team for the era they played in. I think Burrows was more than an appropriate choice for that team.

Once you get to 800 games with the Canucks (and maybe 700) the Ring of Honour is kind of like a "rebuttable presumption" where you're in for your service unless there is a good reason otherwise.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Lu and Kes stabbed the Canucks in the back on their way out. Lu's still stabbing. I don';t buy Kesler back-tracking, only saying that because his career's over and he's won nothing.

Get Bieksa and maybe Salo in the Ring and leave it at that for the 2011 team. 

D. Sedin - Retire #

H. Sedin - Retire #

Burrows - RoH

Bieksa - RoH

Salo - RoH

I’d say meh to Salo. Dude was way too injured to warrant this. Ohlund merits it more than Salonand I wouldn’t put Ohlund in.

Even Bieksa... dunno...

H. Sedin? No contest. D. Sedin? Same. Burrows? One of the greatest rags to riches stories in the NHL talent-wise and a perfect fit for our two twins who, for some reason, never could play as good with anyone else as they played with Burrows.

Gotta leave room up there for Pettersson, Horvat and Hughes.

8 minutes ago, Me_ said:

I’d say meh to Salo. Dude was way too injured to warrant this. Ohlund merits it more than Salonand I wouldn’t put Ohlund in.

Even Bieksa... dunno...

H. Sedin? No contest. D. Sedin? Same. Burrows? One of the greatest rags to riches stories in the NHL talent-wise and a perfect fit for our two twins who, for some reason, never could play as good with anyone else as they played with Burrows.

Yeah Salo is deserving of great applause from the crowd any time he shows up to watch a game, but he's short of the ROH.  And I agree that Ohlund may be as well...  He's right up near the line.  I'd have them both behind Doug Lidster for what it's worth, and I wouldn't give Salo any edge over Babych, Kearns, etc.

• Cheers 1

16 hours ago, iBlueGreen said:

I listened to Sportnet Ryan Kesler on Sportsnet 650 on my way home today, listen at 11:30. He mentions how he'd feel if he was inducted like Burrows.  In the interview he states, as well he regrets how he left the Canuck market.  

What do you think about Ryan Kesler in the Ring of Honour? 

https://www.sportsnet.ca/650/the-program/ryan-kesler-discusses-importance-confidence-team-2/

I'd really like to see him there sometime in the future.  I understand he's was an ass the way he left, but we all know that type of personality got us to the cup final as well.  

The greatest line from him is: "I think about the loss almost every month' and even imagined how the parade would be.

Share your thoughts. Also vote in the poll.

why would they honour a guy who wanted out of the organization and then completely restricted the return for him by only agreeing to a cpl of teams?  No way

• Cheers 1

59 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Even Bieksa... dunno...

why would anyone say no to Ohlund?  He might be the best all around dman this organization has ever had.

• Cheers 4

1 hour ago, NexusRift said:

he had some solid years as a Canuck, no doubt.  But you don't honour someone who screwed over the franchise, that's just stupid.  He didn't just want out, he played the good guy until he was gone and then we find out out how it all went down.  When he was a Canuck, I was ok with his play, but couldn't stand his personality............thanks for a few good years and have a nice retirement in Cali........let them honour him in Anaheim

• Upvote 1