The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Would you like to see Kesler in the Ring of Honour?

Rate this topic

iBlueGreen

What do you think about Ryan Kesler in the Ring of Honour?  

336 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

12 hours ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

I still remember the Kes that singlehandedly won us that 2011 series vs Nashville. That was the stuff of legend.

Not to mention, he was a key part of our core for many years.

He gets my vote.

See this is the stuff I remember too, so many times we take too much stock in what a professional sports pro does OFF THE ICE. Is a pro's ability to "kiss the babies" and "visit hospitals" going to get us a Championship?

He was a Warrior for OUR TEAM on the ice and that's what I remember.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

See this is the stuff I remember too, so many times we take too much stock in what a professional sports pro does OFF THE ICE. Is a pro's ability to "kiss the babies" and "visit hospitals" going to get us a Championship?

He was a Warrior for OUR TEAM on the ice and that's what I remember.  

big fan of OJ? Chris Benoit? Michael Vick?

3 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

A ring of honour should be for what a player does on and off the ice and for the respect shown to both the organization and fanbase throughout his career with that organization.   Kesler was arguably one of the top three "all around" forwards in the game for a few seasons in Vancouver and added immensely to the Canuck success during those seasons.     However, on all other fronts (not just what you have seen published), he was less than a model Canuck and had a reputation for being very much a "me first" player.    I also know a fair number of people in the goalie game - who know Cory really well.   Will leave it at that.

Except that's not what the Canucks ROH is.. as defined in 2010 when it was launched, it's for "players who made a lasting impact on the franchise". 

1 hour ago, 'NucK™ said:

Except that's not what the Canucks ROH is.. as defined in 2010 when it was launched, it's for "players who made a lasting impact on the franchise". 

For a player where "Beast Mode" was coined after? I would say he made a lasting impact on this franchise. I think even after the rest of the team gave up, he almost won that series by himself.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

For a player where "Beast Mode" was coined after? I would say he made a lasting impact on this franchise. I think even after the rest of the team gave up, he almost won that series by himself.

Exactly.. I remember that series against Nashville almost better than any other because of how he played. Not to mention we were possibly could not have made the SCF that year without those efforts. To me, that's making a lasting impact. 

7 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Lu and Kes stabbed the Canucks in the back on their way out. Lu's still stabbing. I don';t buy Kesler back-tracking, only saying that because his career's over and he's won nothing.

Get Bieksa and maybe Salo in the Ring and leave it at that for the 2011 team. 

D. Sedin - Retire #

H. Sedin - Retire #

Burrows - RoH

Bieksa - RoH

Salo - RoH

I politely disagree.  We were all happy with Luongos contract at the time - and now we have to pay the piper.   He wasn't injured - and didn't have a rare skin disease (Hossa), but had played hockey for over 20 years and was done - it happens, and personally feel there is a lot more integrity going out that way then faking it even if it helps us or Florida or whomever.

As far as Kesler goes he was the fourth most important player on the best team we've ever had - and sometimes the first.  In 2010 he was at the height of his powers and almost forced an upset at the Olympics - by far their best player after Miller who did his best Richter impression but fell short.   Of course he should be in the ROH based on his play.  I agree that Bieksa was also deserving of that honour but nobody else.   Salo?  Not a chance.  Can't get their from the infirmary. 

If the fan base can get over the Bure trade - who sat out a long time - then don't see why we can't get over Kesler wanting out .  Yes he was a douche about it - but he's also our douche, we drafted him, he played with the Moose guys came up and was a Selke winner or candidate five years in a row or something (including ANA), and was always a bit of a jerk- but he's our jerk.  Played more games for us then anyone else and seems to have a desire to mend fences so really don't see the big deal.

Gretzky was traded, and so will likely most of our current team members at some point especially now under the cap.  It will be a long time before anyone breaks the Sedin records for points AND games played.   Kesler is synonymous with that team and always will be despite how it ended, the same way Bure was for the Linden team. 

• Upvote 3

Bertuzzi, Roger Neilson, Brodeur, Luongo, deserve it as much or more then Kesler IMO

Sure he had an impact as was a warrior for the Canucks as did others, but if we give it to Kesler than it kind of deflates the honour and impact of the award as he didn't bleed green and blue in the end.

Nice to see he is trying to right his wrong by reaching out to Canucks fans now which I give him credit for.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, nuck-lifer said:

Bertuzzi, Roger Neilson, Brodeur, Luongo, deserve it as much or more then Kesler IMO

Sure he had an impact as was a warrior for the Canucks as did others, but if we give it to Kesler than it kind of deflates the honour and impact of the award as he didn't bleed green and blue in the end.

Nice to see he is trying to right his wrong by reaching out to Canucks fans now which I give him credit for.

I'd like to see a hold on any new inductees for the time being. I agree those players should be ahead of Kesler. We are looking back enough lately. Let's concentrate on the future for now.

Wasn't a fan of how he left, but looking at it objectively, we were on the way down with or without him and we got fair value back in the trade.  Bieksa wanted to go down with the ship but ended up in Anaheim as well.  That where we were with that core and there's no point being mad about it, particularly in hindsight.

It's been clear for a while that he regrets wrecking his relation with the fan base here and that he sees his time in Vancouver as the best part of his career.  I appreciate him being honest about that and also the fans who booed him to make the point.  But I do think he's eaten the sh!t sandwhich on that score and that we can forgive him now.  Because while he was here, he gave everything and got us through the Nashville series in 2011 pretty much single-handedly.

So yeah, ring of honour is fine by me, but in a while, once he's off Anaheim's payroll and properly retired.  Others like Luongo and maybe even Edler (when he retires) should go first.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, J-23 said:

Loved Kes, but I have mixed feelings about putting him in. Same goes for Luongo.

One of the big reasons I’m pushing towards a no is because of our fanbase. We have a emotional fanbase, just read a GDT, one day it’s Fire Green, next day it’s plan the parade. Most of the fans are still hurt and betrayed over Kes leaving, wouldn’t be a popular.

Personally was mad about him leaving, but got over it a couple years ago. We were trending downwards to a rebuilding team and he wanted no parts. Can’t blame the guy, he wanted a cup, and probably saw those Willie D years coming :lol:. Worst part about the entire situation was him choosing like 1 team tho, but I’ve gotten over that as well.

I think fans should give the podcast at try, even if you don’t like Kesler. The stories of the teams are too good to miss out on. Ballard almost getting jumped, Keenan evacuating the team of the ice, knocking on couples banging doors and good guest like Kas and Burr. Ik some people who said they are slowly losing their hate for Kes after a few episodes.

End of the day time heals but I know for a fact a lot of fans going to the graveyard with ‘Kes is a douche’ in the back of their head.

Yeah, those podcasts are more than worth listening to and have made me a lot more sympathetic to Kesler, and not just because of the stuff about Vancouver but more generally.  He doesn't come off as a huge egomaniac any more and actually seems pretty subdued and thoughtful.  Bieksa on the other hand ...

31 minutes ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Wasn't a fan of how he left, but looking at it objectively, we were on the way down with or without him and we got fair value back in the trade.  Bieksa wanted to go down with the ship but ended up in Anaheim as well.  That where we were with that core and there's no point being mad about it, particularly in hindsight.

It's been clear for a while that he regrets wrecking his relation with the fan base here and that he sees his time in Vancouver as the best part of his career.  I appreciate him being honest about that and also the fans who booed him to make the point.  But I do think he's eaten the sh!t sandwhich on that score and that we can forgive him now.  Because while he was here, he gave everything and got us through the Nashville series in 2011 pretty much single-handedly.

So yeah, ring of honour is fine by me, but in a while, once he's off Anaheim's payroll and properly retired.  Others like Luongo and maybe even Edler (when he retires) should go first.

Edler is a guarantee for the ROH if he retired tomorrow.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, EdgarM said:

He was a great player, and he singlehandedly won us a series, but Richard Brodeur singlehandedly won all three rounds to get us to the Final and is still on the outside looking in.  Lasting impacts were also provided by Gino Odjick and Tiger Williams, in the running for the two greatest enforcers of all time.  Doug Lidster was a captain whose record for points in a season by a defenseman has stood for 35 years.  Don Lever was a captain as well and the Canucks ironman recordholder until Trevor Linden.  Andre Boudrias was a captain and pretty much as important as Kurtenbach in the earliest years of the team.

I feel like we have bigger fish to fry with guys that never left a bad taste in anyone's mouth.

Kesler was a hell of a player though.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Cheers 3

ring of honour inductees

- Pat Quinn, Kirk Mclean, Alex Burrows, Orland, Ohlund, Gradin, snepts.

Does Kesler really sound like he fits with those guys?

the thought of putting him up there and therefore stating his contribution to the organization is on the same level as Pat quinn makes me sick

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, nuck-lifer said:

My opinion too

I don't feel the need to honour him myself, as he asked to leave and to where, handcuffing this team 

It is his Only chance to leave his name behind is with the Canucks, Ducks will not ever consider it

Nope.
I’m willing to let the past go and forgive Kesler for selling us out because holding a petty grudge like that is immature. 

But the people in the ROH are guys like Pat Quinn, Alex Burrows, Kirk McLean, Thomas Gradin etc. Guys that bleeded Canucks colours and stuck with us and didn’t turn their backs on the team. He deserves no such honour to be up there with those legends. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1