The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Would you like to see Kesler in the Ring of Honour?

Rate this topic

iBlueGreen

What do you think about Ryan Kesler in the Ring of Honour?  

336 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

For sure.  The only debate would be whether his number should be retired.  Not very likely, but maybe if he puts in 4 more solid years.

I think he's locked in at ROH no matter what.  I think he will squeak his way to 1000 games as a Canuck.  And the thing is, that would quite possibly have gotten his number retired if we hadn't done so with Naslund and Bure, etc.  But the rafters are pretty full and he's not really going to separate himself that much from Snepsts and Ohlund no matter what he does.  I guess maybe if he gets to 1200 games or something he might get a Ken Daneyko style number retirement, but those Devils won some Cups.

He is the Canucks career record holder for defenseman in every category, but Quinn Hughes is going to absolutely annihilate assists and points.

Edited by Kevin Biestra

22 hours ago, Wanless said:

As much as I liked kelser on the team and how I understood why he wanted a trade and feel it was fair of him to ask I voted no.

I feel the ring is for heart and soul players and coaches who would go down with the ship paddling with whatever they can get their hands on

I agree.  Played hard and with a chip on his shoulder....and I thank him for asking to leave haha (the terms sucked, but Benning did alright with them considering.

But bottom line for me - Kesler was never leadership material, working/playing hard alone does not necessarily constitute character, but what it really distills down to for me is that the real team-players make their team-mates better and I'm not sure you can say that about Kesler.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I agree.  Played hard and with a chip on his shoulder....and I thank him for asking to leave haha (the terms sucked, but Benning did alright with them considering.

But bottom line for me - Kesler was never leadership material, working/playing hard alone does not necessarily constitute character, but what it really distills down to for me is that the real team-players make their team-mates better and I'm not sure you can say that about Kesler.

Cheers to that

If the Sedins made it up there so should kes. 

Kesler was a selke finalist six times....

he gave his best years to the Canucks so the Canucks should do right by him.....

dont even get me started on how great he played in the 2011 run to the cup.....I'll never forget him going beast mode against the preds......

say what you want but kesler was one of the best shut down centres in the league for atleast 6 years and in that time we  seen some great two way centres and he can hang with them all. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Still too soon.

Based on what he did as a Canuck, yes he deserves it, but not right now. Took awhile for Bure & it'll take awhile for Kesler too. At somepoint he should get his due.

I think Luongo's number should be retired first though. I feel like his legacy & importance to the franchise has been underrated since his departure. 

4 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

If the Sedins made it up there so should kes. 

Kesler was a selke finalist six times....

he gave his best years to the Canucks so the Canucks should do right by him.....

dont even get me started on how great he played in the 2011 run to the cup.....I'll never forget him going beast mode against the preds......

say what you want but kesler was one of the best shut down centres in the league for atleast 6 years and in that time we  seen some great two way centres and he can hang with them all. 

The 2011 team had great depth but was carried by 3 things. The Sedins, Kesler & Luongo all at the top of their game. Three hall of famers & the best TWF in the league at his absolute peak.

Some nights it was the Twins driving the bus, some nights it was Luongo, some nights it was Kesler. The defense was good & the support players were very good (guys like Bieksa/Malhotra/Burrows/Hamhuis, exc. we're at their peak too) but it was the 3 pillars that drove the team over the course of 82 games & 4 rounds. Kesler was just as big a part of it as Lu & The Twins.

• Upvote 1

Wow! It's amazing the response to this poll I made last night, in just 24 hours almost 10 pages of responses about Kesler and the ROH.  Thank you everyone for your comments.  It may have been too soon to ask that question, as many fan's butt's were hurt by him leaving at not the greatest terms.  I hope someday we all see his value, and fierce warrior qualities in his prime on the way and through the cup finals in 2011.  I really do appreciate his comments about admitting his mistakes.  But that's my take.  Imagine if we got a forward like that in the next few years to come, we really need "BEAST MODE" back!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Smashian Kassian said:

The 2011 team had great depth but was carried by 3 things. The Sedins, Kesler & Luongo all at the top of their game. Three hall of famers & the best TWF in the league at his absolute peak.

Some nights it was the Twins driving the bus, some nights it was Luongo, some nights it was Kesler. The defense was good & the support players were very good (guys like Bieksa/Malhotra/Burrows/Hamhuis, exc. we're at their peak too) but it was the 3 pillars that drove the team over the course of 82 games & 4 rounds. Kesler was just as big a part of it as Lu & The Twins.

I agree but that pres series made kes a legend in my books, his battle with fisher was a thing of beauty....if you like that type of game within the game.

i also think kes gets overshadowed by the Sedins and I can see why but kes was a top player with them while they haven't taken over the league yet and his peak lasted longer......

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Lu and Kes stabbed the Canucks in the back on their way out. Lu's still stabbing. I don';t buy Kesler back-tracking, only saying that because his career's over and he's won nothing.

Get Bieksa and maybe Salo in the Ring and leave it at that for the 2011 team. 

D. Sedin - Retire #

H. Sedin - Retire #

Burrows - RoH

Bieksa - RoH

Salo - RoH

No Salo, yes Edler when he retires.

• Cheers 2

17 hours ago, timberz21 said:

If I recall correctly it wasn't Kesler who necessarily asked for a trade.  When Benning came in and wanted to hit the reset button, he identified Kesler as a guy who could bring asset back before it was too late.  Afterward Kesler only exercised his right to use his NTC that was earned and handed down to him by the Canucks.  What's the point of an NTC, if we are going to hold it against the player if he doesn't waive it.

I think in due time, I would like to see Kesler in the ring of honour.  Whether you liked his antics or not sometimes, he did leave it all on the ice for the Canucks.  He single handedly beat Nashville in 2011.  However, I don't think it need to happen rightaway once he retire, I don't mind waiting a little bit.

I don't recall Kesler being told to leave? Agree he was entitled to say yes/no to, what was put in front of him. Thats the point of NTC's etc....

Edited by spook007

9 hours ago, IBatch said:

I politely disagree.  We were all happy with Luongos contract at the time - and now we have to pay the piper.   He wasn't injured - and didn't have a rare skin disease (Hossa), but had played hockey for over 20 years and was done - it happens, and personally feel there is a lot more integrity going out that way then faking it even if it helps us or Florida or whomever.

As far as Kesler goes he was the fourth most important player on the best team we've ever had - and sometimes the first.  In 2010 he was at the height of his powers and almost forced an upset at the Olympics - by far their best player after Miller who did his best Richter impression but fell short.   Of course he should be in the ROH based on his play.  I agree that Bieksa was also deserving of that honour but nobody else.   Salo?  Not a chance.  Can't get their from the infirmary. 

If the fan base can get over the Bure trade - who sat out a long time - then don't see why we can't get over Kesler wanting out .  Yes he was a douche about it - but he's also our douche, we drafted him, he played with the Moose guys came up and was a Selke winner or candidate five years in a row or something (including ANA), and was always a bit of a jerk- but he's our jerk.  Played more games for us then anyone else and seems to have a desire to mend fences so really don't see the big deal.

Gretzky was traded, and so will likely most of our current team members at some point especially now under the cap.  It will be a long time before anyone breaks the Sedin records for points AND games played.   Kesler is synonymous with that team and always will be despite how it ended, the same way Bure was for the Linden team. 

Agree that his ability, and his importance in the 2011 can not be over stated... 

Yet, I think, if he get inducted in to the ROH, it will not happen in the near future... the wounds are still too deep for a lot of fans...

Edited by spook007
  • Upvote 1

He gets a pass from me. He left everything he had out on the ice for this team. That game 7 took so much out of him. I don't want to be a fan who holds grudges like that to our ex players. Im sure he has regrets with how things ended. Vancouver can be his second home if he still wants it. Lets show him some love even if you don't think he deserves it. Its time this market was the bigger person. Also respect to the OP for starting this discussion. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

On 1/21/2020 at 9:37 PM, Westcoasting said:

Still is... lol

I know right, the reason he's been talking about the Canucks again and he's sad at how things ended blah blah blah.. is simply because he realizes now that how big of a fan base remembers you fondly can further your career past hockey.

1 hour ago, spook007 said:

I don't recall Kesler being told to leave? Agree he was entitled to say yes/no to, what was put in front of him. Thats the point of NTC's etc....

Wouldn't you leave after torts? Lol I think torts didn't help matters and what torts said was right we needed a change.

Also here's a theory at the time kesler was under contract for what two more years and the Sedins similar right.....iirc now that we have saw what type of players Jim has brought in......if he could go back do you think he keeps kes and trades the Sedins to speed up the retool?.....

8 hours ago, EdgarM said:

For a player where "Beast Mode" was coined after? I would say he made a lasting impact on this franchise. I think even after the rest of the team gave up, he almost won that series by himself.

Remind me again how many Canucks have selkes? Lol

and was a finalist for half a decade....when the Sedins weren't even star players yet but kes was doing his thing so I wonder who held who back lol

i agree @EdgarM some fans need to go watch some highlights of kesler's earlier days.....he didn't take years to reach his goal of being one of the best two forward in the game if not the best for a time there. 

So I believe if the Sedins got in then kesler deserves it cause without kes the Sedins would have a different legend in Van. 

Also so I learn from my last crusade about kes vs Sedins is that a lot of posters said they would take geno over kes but the thing is if geno was in van you really think he would be your second line centre ha Sedins would been traded for a player likes kesler to take the pressure off geno lmfao but I'm just kesler fan boy lol

17 minutes ago, shiznak said:

I mean, if you’re going to put Kesler in the ring of honour, might as well as put Ronning, Adams, Salo, Morrison, Bertuzzi, and Jovo.

Okay well Kesler is probably the best two way player we have drafted.....

also bert should be in there for being the best power forward we have ever seen in a Canucks jersey....( I don't count Neeley cause well yea we all know....damn boston)

the other guys mhm lol

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Wouldn't you leave after torts? Lol I think torts didn't help matters and what torts said was right we needed a change.

Also here's a theory at the time kesler was under contract for what two more years and the Sedins similar right.....iirc now that we have saw what type of players Jim has brought in......if he could go back do you think he keeps kes and trades the Sedins to speed up the retool?.....

Absolutely. Agree on every point.

I don't think Sedins would be as easy to off load as Kesler, as they would come as a pair... $14 for two players is harder to move than Keslers contract. But yes the rebuild would have been speeded up had JB been able to off load Sedins.

I also believe Kes would have thrived under Torts... I think, he would be the centre of Torts hockey philosophy.

However, it was the manner, in which it was all done, that has me a little uneasy about it... Kesler doing, what was best for Kesler...Ring of Honour... Guess it depends on what ROH means, to the person who views it.... 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1