The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Expansion Draft Angst - Why?

Rate this topic

Rob_Zepp

6 hours ago, ruilin96 said:

Off topic: but bull$&!# that Vegas isn’t part of this.

why?

they do not expose any player

they do not get a 20 million share of the expansion money

few bottom half of the roster players are worth 20 million

that is quite a return on giving up an average to worse player

These remaining games and making the playoffs (fingers crossed), in my opinion, should reveal to the staff and management who should stay or not.  These meaningful games, should reveal not just the talent but (more importantly), the character of the player. 

One of the reason, I hope we make the playoffs (not just because it will be a good experience for the young core), is to help determine if: JM should be our goalie moving forward during our competitive window or should it be Demko - let see who cracks under the playoff pressure (same can be said for other players in the roster).   If JB, is signing someone to term, it should be someone that can also perform in the playoffs.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Will protect;

Brock Boeser, Elias Pettersson, Jake Virtanen, Bo Horvat, Gaudette

No D honestly?                                                                  

A goalie

May protect;

JT Miller, Michael Ferlund, Antoine Roussel, Tyler Motte  **

Tryamkin, Myers, Stecher, Tanev                                   

Demko, Markstrom

As we can only protect  forwards.  I actually believe Seatlle would select whomever would be available among Roussel, Ferland and Miller. As of right now, Miller would be the guy we protect. We can protect 3 of 4 of the defenceman above. If Tanev is gone, a likely scenario, all of them.   Then expose Brisbois, Sauyner. Just have to get their NHL games up to the minimum next season. I project Ferlund is  the guy tabbed from the Canucks?

I agree with @Rob_Zepp Pittsburgh & NYR's are most likely targets for Seattles goalies? Washington a no brainer if they re=sign Holtby/  I personally believe we will protect Demko, sign but expose Markstrom. And that there will be better options than Markstrom at $6ish mill.  I like Marky. Think he is a legit starter. But 0.916 this year, 0.915% average the combined last 4 years is hardly the best goaltending in the league. 

But if 31 year old Markstrom is the guy taken? I wont lose any sleep!

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Will protect;

No D honestly?                                                                  

A goalie

May protect;

Demko, Markstrom

As we can only protect  forwards.  I actually believe Seatlle would select whomever would be available among Roussel, Ferland and Miller. As of right now, Miller would be the guy we protect. We can protect 3 of 4 of the defenceman above. If Tanev is gone, a likely scenario, all of them.   Then expose Brisbois, Sauyner. Just have to get their NHL games up to the minimum next season. I project Ferlund is  the guy tabbed from the Canucks?

I agree with @Rob_Zepp Pittsburgh & NYR's are most likely targets for Seattles goalies? Washington a no brainer if they re=sign Holtby/  I personally believe we will protect Demko, sign but expose Markstrom. And that there will be better options than Markstrom at $6ish mill.  I like Marky. Think he is a legit starter. But 0.916 this year, 0.915% average the combined last 4 years is hardly the best goaltending in the league. 

HAHHHHHAAAAHHHHHHAAAAAAHHHHHHAHAHHAHAHAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

May protect Miller

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Goalies 1 of Demko/Markstrom

If we loose one we loose one.

I don't know who they will pick for D.  Quinn is exempt and no players have NMC come expansion (Edler already said he would waive since he's UFA anyways).  So whos left to pick from at the time?  Right now its Stetcher/Tanev/Myers (And I think we will only have 1 of Stetcher/Tanev at the time due to cap constraints) that they could protect plus another if someone needs to be protected at the time.

Forwards are Petey/Miller/Boeser/Horvat/Guadette/Miller/Ferland

If we are to loose anyone my money will be on Rousell at this moment (barring any roster changes)

15 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Will protect;

No D honestly?                                                                  

A goalie

May protect;

Demko, Markstrom

Ferland has a NMC so he has to be protected unless he offers to waive it.  And they will protect Miller unless he suddenly falls off the cliff in the next year, you get 7 to protect and at this moment no forward is better than Miller that needs to be protected.   

5 hours ago, Lancaster said:

I just thought of something.... they should have protected/exposed list released in order from the worst team to the best, with the next subsequent team allowed like 15 minutes before releasing their team.

This will allow the higher ranking team the advantage of knowing who is exposed and can adjust accordingly.  

It will be sort of a punishment for teams that tanks.  

Careful, the league might see this and do the opposite, in the name of parity.

• Haha 1

WSH is in a similar situation as us with Holtby up and Samsonov  paying his dues.   Early guess drafts have Holtby as their likely starter pick (assuming that they protect Samsonov). 

As far as the OP goes, in some cases we should except Seattle to pick best player available assuming they make their other minimum requirements.  Believe Vegas picked four goalies - or signed another another after to get to four...and they loaded up.

GMs won't be so quick to make side deals and give up extras like they did last time - and just take their medicine and expect to lose a decent player - that's what they themselves are saying.   For us it will probably come down to Stetcher or Demko.  Seattle won't have much trouble making their minimums - once they do they can load up on fourth defenseman and BPAs and use them as trade bait later... 

7 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

There will be a lot of goalies going into pasture or retiring over the next few years - Miller, Halak, Lundqvist, Anderson, Fluery, Crawfiord, Howard, Smith, Hutton, Elliot, Quick, Dubnyk and Rinne.

So, who is Demko's competition to go to SEA? My guess:

A. Raanta (ARI)

C. Talbot (CGY)

B. Bishop (DAL)

A. Khudobin (DAL)

S. Bobrovsky (FLA)

L. Domingue (NJ)

C. Schneider (NJ)

T. Greiss (NYI)

A. Nilsson (OTT)

M. Jones (SJ)

J. Allen (STL)

M. Hutchinson (TOR)

T. Demko (VAN)

L. Brossoit (WPG)

B. Holtby (WAS)

SEA with a Holtby/Demko tandem could be scary.

This list, is the reason, I protect Demko, as IMO, Seattle will not go with 2 veterans and Markstrom isn't the best one on that list

So I see them picking another Canuck

I see one of Holtby/ Bishop/Allen...….then a lesser...………..and no way they put 10+ Million in Goaltending

33 minutes ago, Russ said:

Ferland has a NMC so he has to be protected unless he offers to waive it.  And they will protect Miller unless he suddenly falls off the cliff in the next year, you get 7 to protect and at this moment no forward is better than Miller that needs to be protected.   

Ferlunds NMC is this year & next only. i believe expires just before expansion.  

CLAUSE DETAILS: 2021-22: Player submits a 10 team no trade list; 2022-23: Player submits a 8 team no trade list

Yeah, if the decision was right now, we select Miller hands down.

But lots can happen between now & then. He'll be 28, and age will mean considering who we do, and do not protect.

1 hour ago, Russ said:

He doesn’t, he has a NTC by then and doesn’t have to be protected.

Another case of the brass considering the expansion draft when structuring contracts.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Canuck Surfer said:

CLAUSE DETAILS: 2021-22: Player submits a 10 team no trade list; 2022-23: Player submits a 8 team no trade list

But lots can happen between now & then. He'll be 28, and age will mean considering who we do, and do not protect.

I thought the NMC went until June 31st of the 2021 so with the expansion being a few weeks before (early June) that it would still be active.  Same was as how Edler apparently agreed not to exercise his NMC as his contract runs out a couple weeks later because that was always the big issue during that last contract negotiation with him.  

1 hour ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Sorry Surfer

No way JB spends a 1st for 2 years of a player........no way

and even if he had a bad year they would still protect him, hoping he would bounce back

He is here for awhile

• Upvote 1

As far as the goalies. JB is going to do what’s right for the team and you worry about that closer to the draft imo.

Markstroms gotta be resigned. You don’t let a guy like that go unless somehow “which I seriously doubt” negotiations get out of hand.

Maybe you do a deal with Seattle to keep both or you expose Markstrom (should be in his contract) Seems JB has a handle on that on all the recent signings.

I’m not worried about it at all but there is going to be a hell of a lot of discussions on here. It’s still a year and a half away lol

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Question.. Does anyone know if Rafferty will need to be exposed. First year pro is this year and second year next so he should be exempt no? 

I believe that he is exempted as it's stated 2 seasons of professional hockey.  Anything below 10 games is not counted as a pro season.   He was signed late in the season after his NCAA season was over, similar with Hughes.   

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, coolboarder said:

I believe that he is exempted as it's stated 2 seasons of professional hockey.  Anything below 10 games is not counted as a pro season.   He was signed late in the season after his NCAA season was over, similar with Hughes.   

I Wonder if age matters though as he will be 26 come the draft 

1 hour ago, Devron44 said:

Question.. Does anyone know if Rafferty will need to be exposed. First year pro is this year and second year next so he should be exempt no? 

1 hour ago, coolboarder said:

Rafferty will have to be protected if the Canucks don't want to lose him. He is not exempt because AHL games are considered pro games. If you want to see the list of players exempt and those that need protecting I refer you to Capfriendly click on interactive and select Seattle expansion draft simulator. You can scroll thru every team there. 

2 hours ago, Devron44 said:

1 hour ago, coolboarder said:

Honestly there is some confusion here Capfriendly has him exposed along with Teves, but it doesn't  make any sense to me because based on the rules they shouldn't be, they should fall under the same exemption as Hughes so either Capfriendly has it wrong or they know something we don't. The only reasons that I can think of are they were undrafted signings therefore the games they played do not follow the same criteria as drafted players (the 10 game rule exemption). Or that University games are considered pro games, which makes no sense cause capfriendly currently has Tryamkin exempt and he is playing in a much more pro league then University.

The only conclusion I can come to is that Capfriendly is wrong, and Rafferty and Teves should be exempt.

If so this would make protecting all our dmen very easy.

Edler and Benn are UFA in 2021.

So we could sign Stecher and Tanev and protect both of them including Protecting Myers. If we protect these guys the Canucks are going to need to sign another Dman to expose or suffer the penalties, Cause no one else currently meets the Defenceman requirements. Juolevi puts a slight wrinkle into this equation if he doesn't play 40 games in the NHL he doesn't make the requirements, but he will play next season in the NHL or AHL giving him 3 pro seasons and will need to be protected if they do not want to expose him.

Capfriendly get your stuff together and either fix your mistake or give explanation as to why these guys are exposed. 

Edited by Arrow 1983
  • Cheers 1