The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cap Hell for Canucks!!! (GREAT NEWS from Daly re: CAP for next year!!)

Rate this topic

HKSR

6 hours ago, Arrow 1983 said:

First, do you really think that the team we have now is the same team we have in 2 years. God I hope not. 

If so Hoglander and Podkolzin say hello, they also want me to tell you they will be here with ELCs

My wish list after 2 years

Petey

Bo 

Miller 

Boeser

Virtanen

Gaud

Holglander ELC

Podkolzin  ELC

and Most likely still here as forwards, Eriksson (maybe re-tired maybe not), Beagle, Roussel and Ferland

Everyone else isn't under contract

Defence

Hughes

Myers 

If they pan out, Joulevi and Rafferty if not then not.

Everyone else is not under contract.

Goaltenders 

I want Demko could be Marky

Start building your roster from there, then have the conversation.

Yeah Edler and Tanev might not be here, but do you need another 6million in Edler on defence if you have Hughes (possible future Norris candidate) or Myers already at 6mil, Myers is becoming Edlers replacement and Hughes well he is Hughes. Why can they not go with cheap guys Joulevi and Rafferty if they pan out or others if not. Defence men can be had out of UFA anywhere between 1-4 million Fantenberg, is a prime example.

I all ready have 12 forwards there 2 of whom are on ELC (and could become better wingers then we currently have)  if not them then other players in the system or players that Benning will draft this July 1st. 

Baer, Sutter, Pearson, Edler and Benn 19.492million come off the books in 20-21,  Petey and Hughes need to be re-signed. 21.334 mill (That's adding in Petey and Hughes current contracts refer below to how contract work). This is after Gaud, Virtanen and maybe Marky gets re-signed by this July 1st. 

Eriksson, Beagle and Roussel contracts expire in 21-22, what stops Benning from signing Gaud and Virtanen both RFA this July 1st to 2 year deals (actually this exactly what I am predicting). That is 12 million off the books after Hughes and Petey are signed, to re-sign Gaud Virtanen and Boeser. Actually it is more 12+5.875=17.875 (+Gauds and Virtanens current contract value refer below on how contracts work) . So Gaud Virtanen and Boeser for more then 17.875 million. Lounges cap re-capture comes off here to that's another 3.033 mill.

(How contracts work if Boeser needs to be re-signed and is already making 5.875 million then 5.875 comes off the books and then Boeser gets payed lets call it 8million per. It is only an increase of 2.125million in cap from the year before. (8-5.875=2.125).). It is why you will here he got a 2 million dollar raise, what it really means is it raised the pay roll 2milliion.

Ferlands contract comes off in 22-23. Look who else comes up BO and Miller. I doubt Ferland gets re-signed that's 3.5 mill to help give them raises.

Benning has virtually tied up enough Payroll to sign the core for years to come, even if another GM came in he has insured this core stays together. Benning is an evil genius he has stamped his mark on this roster. Insuring no GM after him can destroy his legacy.

If Ferland gets injured for the rest of his contract then he goes on LTIR and it doesn't matter cause the Canucks spend to the cap anyways. So they replace his salary with someone else, Look at Tor for example.

Marky at 6 mill

or Demko at 3-4 mill 

one of them is going either way can not have 9-10 mill wrapped up on goaltenders any way. DiPietro is in the wings as a back up already.

Last thought this is the Cap Era no way of keeping everyone it can not be done. Ask Chicago. You shed players and you hope the GM can draft cheaper younger players to replace them and the core stays intact. The Canucks will be where they are in 2 Years cause Benning has drafted well and built a core. So IMO there is nothing to say that Benning will stop drafting well.

All this worry for nothing.

19 minutes ago, Provost said:

Well most of what you are saying is nonsense.  You don’t get to pretend the players we have under contract don’t exist and just built a roster from the players you like.

That is entirely the point of the thread.  Those players on dead cap need to go away to get to the roster you want.

Unfortunately they don’t come off at the right time for us to re-sign who we need to in order to keep icing a good roster.

I laid it out clearly enough in the thread that anyone who can follow math should be able to follow.

One more time so you are clear what  I actually said.

If you quote half of what I say and distort my position, know that I will point you out on it every time.  

All it tells people is that you can't defend your own position and you will resort to calling post names like non sense.

Edited by Arrow 1983
  • Wat 1

32 minutes ago, Arrow 1983 said:

so instead of using a rational argument to defend your position, you call mine nonsense and try to distort what I posted

I didn’t include it because it was just a bunch of assumptions and wishes and didn’t actually explain anything rational, not actual math about how the roster is built and under the cap.

Earlier in the thread I clearly laid out player by player each year how the cap adds up, so I don’t need to rehash it yet again.

You just spewed random words.

Also, if you think we “will be just fine” if you take away Edler and Tanev who play the hardest minutes on the team and are both tied for 3rd in blocked shots in the league, and replace them with two rookies in your top 4, then there is no explaining reality to you.

Edited by Provost

1 minute ago, Provost said:

I didn’t include it because it was just an inch of assumptions and wishes and didn’t actually explain anything rational, not actual math about how the roster is built and under the cap.

Earlier in the thread I clearly laid out player by player each year how the cap adds up, so I don’t need to rehash it yet again.

You just spewed random words.

Also, if you think we “will be just fine” if take take away Edler and Tanev who play the hardest minutes on the team and are both tied for 3rd in blocked shots in the league, and replace them with two rookies in your top 4, then there is no explaining reality to you.

We are never going to agree with each other, so we both have the freedom to post what we think and let other posters decide, cause really that's what we are doing. When 2 people disagree it is highly unlikely 1 of those people will change their mind based on what the other side is arguing.

You said you are in labour relations you should understand that that is why contract disputes usually end in arbitration. 

8 hours ago, mll said:

He has arbitration rights.  If it's another bridge it would be for 1 year as 2 would bring him to free agency.  This is already his 5th season and UFA is the earliest between 7 pro-years and age 27.  

Would think they prefer longer term rather than have him (arbitration rights and 1 year to free agency) with Pettersson and Hughes also up in a year.  

Thanks, hadn't dove in to see how many years he had left RFA.

I'd wager a guess it will be one year then and allow Benning to clear more cap with Sutter, Pearson, Baer, Benn etc expiring, Spooner's buyout gone, contract gone from the ED etc.

I'm sure they (team) would prefer a longer term! But unless he's willing to do something like Ferland's contract (I'd wager his agent would balk), that's not likely happening without a lot of other moves elsewhere on the roster. His agent will likely advise to bet on himself and go for a short bridge and look for a large contract when it's up IMO

Edited by aGENT

14 hours ago, CanadianRugby said:

Dude hasn't been wrong in like 16 years according to him.  And if he was, he never said that. 

cool story, Leaf-blower guy.

easy enough to evidence to be yet another of your flake claims. 

I've been wrong plenty of times - have owned it many times on these boards (probably not in relation to smarmy types like yourself but that's beside the point - and regarding things far more relevent than a side issue like an LE buyout cap hit.  I'll make you a deal - I'll admit I was wrong about LE's buyout cap hit  -you admit you were wrong about both rethings - the Canucks'/Benning's and the Leafs/"next Blackhawks" lol /#proper-rebuild . ;)

Bottom line here - I've rarely seen dumber, more ill-advised cart before the horse ideas than spending assets (lol) now to move a player like Sutter - in the midst of a playoff race, in order to prepare for 2021/22 - particularly when, as already stated, those players expire before the 2021/22 season.  Paying now to unload them is dumber that waiting not only is now an inopportune time to sell cap - but Sutter is needed for this playoff race (regardless of what smarmy types believe) - and the more term/cap you attempt to unload, the higher the price.  The team is likely to have better opportunities in the next few years - including the expansion draft, and summer trade markets - than now.

get rid of just Eriksson or both Sutter & Baertschi like what would sort us out now, we will have to pay to unload them all before the following 2021-22 season... after having already gotten worse on paper for the 2020-21 season....after having already gotten worse on paper for the 2020-21 season.  If we don’t do that, we will be face with icing a team that Has no depth, or god forbid having to sign Hughes to a bridge few to get us past our crunch...

This is panicky, radically premature drama, period - with the arrogant pretense to forecast all that years into the future - it makes for good drama / doom and gloom hook in the present though.

Not going to waste time qualifying that I have been incorrect in the past - plenty of times - and have owned it - my unsolicited (since you've taken the ignorant liberty of speaking for me here) - try working on the drivel that comes out of your own mouth - that should be your priority.

once you have a handle on your own voice -  you shouldn't/won't need to pretend to speak for others.

Edited by oldnews
  • Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

For those who want to see it for themselves, From the NHL CBA Page 326-327 Forward and Defenceman (A) bonuses. 

Each category max is $212,500 and the Absolute total max per season is $850,000 or 4 $212,500*4=$850,000

Individual "A" Bonuses Paid by Clubs The maximum amount payable for any single category of Individual "A" Bonuses identified below is $212,500 per season.  (For example, an Entry Level SPC may not contain bonuses of $212,500 for 20 goals and an additional $212,500 for 30 goals, provided, however, it may contain a bonus of $100,000 for 20 goals and $112,500 for 30 goals).  An Entry Level SPC may contain any number of Individual "A" Bonuses; however, a Player may not receive more than $850,000 in total aggregate Individual "A" Bonuses per season.  Individual "A" Bonuses are payable by the Clubs (as opposed to the League).

(a) Forwards

(i)Ice time (aggregate and/or per Game).  Player must be among top six (6) forwards on the Club (minimum 42 Regular Season Games played by Player and comparison group).  (Note: an Entry Level SPC may contain bonuses for both aggregate and per Game ice time; however, the maximum aggregate amount the Player may receive on account of the ice time category is $212,500.)

(ii) Goals:  20 Goal Minimum

(iii) Assists:  35 Assist Minimum

(iv) Points:  60 Point Minimum

(v) Points Per Game:  .73 Points Per Game Minimum (minimum 42 Regular Season Games played)

(vi) Plus-Minus Rating:  Among top three (3) forwards on the Club (minimum 42 Regular Season Games played by Player and comparison group). 

EXHIBIT 5 
(vii) End-of-Season NHL All-Rookie Team

(viii) NHL All-Star Game (selected to play or plays)

(ix) NHL All-Star Game MVP

(b)Defenceman 

(i) Ice time (aggregate and/or per Game).  Player must be among top four (4) defensemen on the Club (minimum 42 Regular Season Games played by Player and comparison group).  (Note: an Entry Level SPC may contain bonuses for both aggregate and per Game ice time; however, the maximum aggregate amount the Player may receive on account of the ice time category is $212,500.)

(ii) Goals:  10 Goal Minimum

(iii) Assists:  25 Assist Minimum

(iv) Points:  40 Point Minimum (v) Points Per Game:  .49 Points Per Game Minimum (minimum 42 Regular Season Games played)

(vi) Plus-Minus Rating:  Among top three (3) defensemen on the Club (minimum 42 Regular Season Games played by Player and comparison group).

(vii) Blocked Shots:  Among top two (2) defensemen on the Club (minimum 42 Regular Season Games played by Player and comparison group). 

(viii) End-of-Season NHL All-Rookie Team

(ix) NHL All-Star Game (selected to play or plays) (x) NHL All-Star Game MVP

Edited by Arrow 1983

Individual "B" Bonuses - League-wide Awards/Trophies and League Performance Bonuses Paid by League and/or Club

Every Player party to an Entry Level SPC shall automatically be deemed eligible for the Individual "B" Bonuses listed below, which, if earned, shall be payable by the League in the amounts set forth below.  There is no limit on the number of League-wide Awards/Trophy Bonuses and League Performance Bonuses that an individual Player may earn in a League Year that are payable by the League.  For example, if a Player finishes 2nd in the Hart, 3rd in the Selke and 1st in the Lady Byng, he will receive all bonus amounts associated with each such Leaguewide Award/Trophy Bonus.  In addition, if he also finishes 3rd among NHL forwards in goals, 2nd in points, and 4th in points per Game, he would also receive all bonus amounts associated with such bonuses.

A Player and Club may also negotiate individual bonuses payable by the Club for the League-wide Awards/Trophy Bonuses and League Performance Bonuses set forth below, except where specifically stated otherwise, in amounts to be individually negotiated between a Club and a Player (the Club and Player could agree to pay more, or less, than the amounts payable by the League, set forth below).  The maximum aggregate amount that a Club can pay a Player (in addition to any amounts paid by the League to such Player) on behalf of a Player's Individual "B" Bonuses is $2 million per season.  There is no limit on the quantity (as opposed to the dollar amount) of League-wide Awards/Trophies and League Performance Bonuses a Player may receive from the Club.

(a) League-wide Awards/Trophies.  The following are the only awards or trophies for which Clubs and Players may negotiate bonuses:  the Hart Memorial Trophy ("Hart"), the "Rocket" Richard Trophy ("Richard"), the Vezina Trophy ("Vezina"), the William Jennings Trophy ("Jennings"), the Norris Trophy ("Norris"), the Conn Smythe ("Conn Smythe"), and the Frank J. Selke Trophy ("Selke").  In the event that the National Hockey League creates additional award(s) of like stature in the future, Clubs may award bonuses to Players in connection therewith.

(iv) A Player who finishes among the top three (3) in balloting for the Calder shall receive the following bonus amounts (no individually negotiated "excess" allowed):

Winner  $212,500

2nd  $150,000

3rd  $100,000

On 1/23/2020 at 10:05 AM, Tre Mac said:

They will be having cap problems, just watch.  That Myers contract :picard:, better hope Seattle takes him.  Here comes more confused emojis! 

this would be the best thing possible.. I hope it happen.. dont protect him ? perfect

• Cheers 1

The Canucks will not lose a single core asset due to salary cap.  Yes, guys like Stecher, Schaller Benn will likely be moved or go unsigned.  We have a deep pool of ready/near NHL ready prospects to fill those holes.  Yes, it will likely cost a 1st to move LE at the end of next season, It will cost us a couple quality prospect to move Baerschi and Sutter, but we are set up to deal with that.  The Canucks will keep there core young pieces.  We aren't going to lose Pod, Hoglander, Madden, Rafferty, Joulevi either.  If lose a 1st and one or two of Lind, Woo, Dipietro to make the cap work, it will not crater the organization and slam our windo shut.

Here’s a post I have been working on for the last few weeks regarding our cap moving forward.  I have attempted to be realistic…

Alright, so everyone knows (or at least I hope you do) that the Canucks will be up against the cap in a brutal way next year and especially in the year following (2021-2022).  The 2021-2022 season is brutal in so many ways (still paying Luongo and Eriksson as well as having to pay Petey and Huggy Bear).  It is my feeling that there is no way to part with Eriksson and Benning will do everything in his power to keep his draft picks (avoiding what Toronto did with Marleau).

Anyways, this post in to think through how we are going to navigate the next two years while not sacrificing draft picks and also being realistic with contracts and moves that maybe can happen.  I will be solely focusing on Canucks property and not trading or signing players (other than a UFA defenseman in 2022-2023). Predicting trades and free agent signing is just too impossible.  Benning has also stated that he doesn’t want to go that route since we have enough of a swell with our young players now.  After that, I will have some fun with our roster three years from now (when we are out from under the burden of so many bad contracts, penalties, etc.)  Many of the contracts for next year are set other than a few key free agents.  Some will have to be let go and others signed.  Unfortunately, many of our younger players will need to sign team friendly bridge deals to keep the cap down.  This means that the team may have to pay up in about 3-5 years down the road when these players are demanding high paying, long term contracts.  There’s no way around it…

Throughout this post, I am also assuming that players hit their performance bonuses and the team elects to keep those under the cap structure (as opposed to paying them the following year, which becomes ugly).  If there is carryover from this year (looks like around 1 million), I’m assuming that carryover will continue year over year until we are out of our cap hell.  So, you will see that added performance bonus in 2022-2023, the year our cap hell ends.  Also, I’m not thinking about the Seattle expansion draft but if it was my guess Demko will be snatched and Dipietro is our backup sooner than later.

So, on to next season (2020-2021)… first off, we have seen an epic turn in Virtanen’s career this year.  Many fans have been enjoying their #shotgunjake moments and he has many more to come.  The team has been faithful to him and he knows it.  He doesn’t want to go anywhere and we don’t want him to go anywhere… too much potential.  As an RFA, I say he signs for 2 years @ $3 million per.  We can’t afford him longer ATM since his cap hit would go up drastically…

Next, Hockey_Gaud is a legit hockey player.  He will only come back stronger next year.  While his defensive game needs some work, he has a knack for the net and just makes those around him better.  As an RFA drafted in a later round, he will sign for 2 years @ $2 million per.

Motte… the cheap man’s Alex Burrows and Matt Cooke.  The Energizer bunny without much finish.  We all need one and we need him… for cheap.  1 year @ $1.5 million.

Finally for the forwards, we are going to see (miraculously) Baertschi traded to a team with enough cap space to take him on and injuries on their roster.  We won’t retain any salary… maybe he goes to Pittsburgh, we’ve fleeced that GM before (ahem, Gudbranson).  Perhaps JB has to bite the bullet and sacrifice a 4th round pick to get rid of

Baertschi.  In addition, we are going to trade Sutter in the off season and will have to retain $2 million of his salary to do so… sorry Canuck fans.  But with only 1 year left on his contract, someone will take him.  He is foundational after all…

Next… the D… well… I have bad news folks.  I think this is the end of the road for Tanev.  He will demand a pay day (I question whether he is worth it with his injury history) and he will be THE sacrifice to the cap gods.  Sorry Canuck Nation.  It will be Tanev’s last contract and Hughes has increased Tanev’s value.  I’m not saying Tanev isn’t great at his role, but we’ve all seen how fragile he can be.  He will get 4.5-5 million per on a 5-year deal.  That’s an overpayment and will take him to his 35 year old season.  We will see massive regression from Tanev in two years and this contract won’t look good in a couple.

In letting go of Tanev, we will have to turn to our lesser D-men and hope that they can turn it up a notch.  That’s you Stecher… you are an average D-man who has been able to step up when called upon.  Just can you do it for an entire season because we may need you to.  I say we go to arbitration with you and you are awarded with 1 year @ $3 million.

Also, Tryamkin will be signed.  He will not be the ace in the hole that many of you are hoping for, but we will sign him for 2 years @ $2 million per.  He will turn out to be a decently effective third pairing D but will be treated similarly by Travis Green as he was by Willie D.  He is a prima donna without the talent to quite back it up.  Nonetheless, he will tow the line and be effective in his role.  It will be a decent signing but nothing amazing…

Rafferty and Brisebois will be the other mainstays on the third pairing with Tryamkin and Rafferty will be excellent in the second half of the season.  Regardless of the defender, they are each signed for $1 million.  As you will see, our D next year will regress a little bit, other than the natural improvements of Hughes (and Stecher to a lesser degree).

Finally, Fantenberg will be let go and Benn will be our #7 D-man.

Markstrom… Markstrom, Markstrom, Markstrom.  Marky… we love you and you love us.  We need to sign you to something fair to show you our commitment to you and reward you for the near-elite goaltender you are.  At the same time, we can’t handcuff ourselves here and you know it.  Let’s not play hardball here.  We want you and you want us… let’s make it 4 years @ $5.5 million per and call it a day, shall we?  Fair is fair, right? (fingers crossed we can sign him to a fair deal and he doesn’t play hardball).

So, as it stands, here is the roster for the 2020-2021 season (* = new contract numbers that are estimated).  This is a little bit below the $83 million predicted cap space and allows us to retain more salary on Sutter or Baertschi…

Total (82.425)

Forwards (48.275)

Boeser (5.875) - Pettersson (3.775) - Miller (5.25)

Pearson (3.75) - Horvat (5.5) - Ferland (3.5)

Virtanen (3*) - Gaudette (2*) - Roussel (3)

Lind (1.125) - Beagle (3) - Motte (1.5*)

Eriksson (6)

MacEwen (1) 

Defense (21.6)

Edler (6) - Stecher (3*)

Myers (6) - Hughes (1.6)

Rafferty/Brisebois (1*) - Tryamkin (2*)

Benn (2)

Goalies (6.55)

Markstrom (5.5)

Demko (1.05)

Buyout/retained (6)

Buyout/Retained Salary: Spooner (1.0), Luongo (3.0), Sutter (2)

For the 2021-2022 season, there is trouble to be had.  We still have Eriksson and Luongo on the bill and have the need to sign Pettersson and Hughes.

Sorry folks, but there is no way both Pettersson and Hughes both sign their long term deals at the same time…. The Canucks simply can’t afford it, as you will see.  One will have to be a bridge deal ala Boeser, and that will be Hughes.  The reason it’s Hughes is because he will only have two full seasons under his belt, which makes a bridge deal more sense.  Obviously he is more valuable to the team than Boeser (by far), so his deal will be greater.  However, with no arbitration rights, the Canucks will play hardball long into the summer and settle at $6.75 million for 3 years.  He will get cut a huge paycheque the next time he is up for a new contract, but the hope is the Canucks don’t have any dead weight contracts at the time…

So… Petey… he is clearly worth more than Marner but Marner is overpaid.  He is also worth more than Rantanen who is signed more closely to market value ($9.25 million for 6 years).  I’m expecting we can’t sign Pettersson for the 8 year term that we (and he) would like.  The contract would just be too juicy.  So I’m expecting they use Rantanen as a comparable and sign him for 6 years at $10 million per.

Okay, so we’ve got some rookies and young forwards that will help us fill out the roster… namely Hoglander, Podkolzin, and Lind.  Looking at comparables for where they were drafted (not their hype, as Canucks fans type to over value their prospects), Hoglander will be around $0.9 million (we may have to carry any bonuses over to the 2022-2023 season), Podkolzin will come in around $1.8 million (this should even include the bonuses probably), and Lind will be signed to a tiny increase for 2 years @$1.3 million per. 

Unfortunately, we are still anchored by Beagle (3 per), Roussel (3 per) and Eriksson (6 per) for this year… ouch!!  Also, Pearson will walk because we simply can’t afford him.  Maybe we can get a similar type of impact from Podkolzin?... stranger things have happened and it appears that Pearson is coming down to earth a little bit now (his torrid pace is no longer).

To fill out our defence is going to be difficult this season.  Ideally, we have to be hopeful that Juolevi and Rafferty work out as second and third pairing defencemen, and I will assume that.  However, if they don’t we will have to dip into free agency or have some sort of dramatic development from Brisebois or Rathbone.  Also, Stecher will have to be let go… he will get paid more than his value will be to us.  He is the sacrifice to the cap this year…

Also, I’m assuming Edler wants back into the fold at a reduced rate.  He will be slower (second pairing at best) but still effective.  Here’s hoping we can sign him 1 year @ $3.5 million.  In addition, Juolevi signs for 2 years @ $1.8 million per and Rafferty signs for 2 years @ $2 million per.  These seem like fair “show me what you got” deals… Brisebois will be our 7th D-man at $1.3 million per on a 2 year as well.

So, as it stands, here is the roster for the 2021-2022 season (* = new contract numbers that are estimated).  We have to hope the cap goes up a little bit here…

Total (85.525)

Forwards (52.625)

Boeser (5.875) - Pettersson (10.0*) - Miller (5.25)

Podkolzin (1.8*) - Horvat (5.5) - Ferland (3.5)

Virtanen (3*) - Gaudette (2*) - Hoglander (0.9*)

Lind (1.3*) - Beagle (3) - Roussel (3)

Eriksson (6)

MacEwen (1)

Defense (23.55)

Myers (6) - Hughes (6.75*)

Edler (3.5*) - Rafferty (2*)

Tryamkin (2*) - Juolevi (1.8*)

Brisebois (1.5*)

Goalies (6.55)

Markstrom (5.5)

Dipietro (1.05)

Buyout/Retained (3)

Buyout/Retained Salary: Luongo (3.0)

The 2022-2023 and 2023-2024 seasons are definitely part of our cup window… in fact I would suggest the 2022-2023 season is one of our best chances with Horvat and Miller still on the last year of their current deals (well underpaid) .  We have core players on ELCs (Podkolzin, Hoglonder, Lind, Madden etc.), dead weight off the books (Roussel, Beagle, Luongo penalty, Eriksson) and our star players in their prime (Petey, Brock, Bo, Miller, and Huggy Bear).  There are also some players on cheap contracts who may impress us (Juolevi, Rafferty, Brisebois).  I can’t imagine there is another team set up as well as our team during those years (maybe Colorado) so there is a lot to be excited about. 

There isn’t a lot to be done as far as signing major players this year.  Signing Brock is about it… and Virtanen if he had been signed to the short 2 year bridge deal I had predicted earlier in this post… and hockey_gaud if he also signs the short 2 year deal I had predicted .  Brock is good, but I think we are seeing this year he isn’t the elite player we were all hoping for.  A complimentary player on a top line or a very good second liner.  Every team loves to have them.  Hard to predict this contract.  It should be long term (say 6 years) and I’m predicting around $8.5 million per.

#shotgunjake… hard to predict how these next two years go but if he turns into Bertuzzi lite he could receive up to $6.5 million per on a 4-5 year deal but it’s more likely he keeps a slow burn in improvement going and he is signed for about $4.5 million for 4 years.  He will be an elite 3 liner if not a good second liner…

Hockey_gaud will continue his slow progression as a solid contributor.  His ceiling is second liner and basement is third liner.  As you’ll see below, I’m placing him on the fourth line because he has a bigger body than Madden.  He will be signed for 4 years at $4 million per.

Tyler Madden should have been listed as a player probably a year earlier in this post as he is playing lights out in the NCAA (second to Johnny Gaudreau in D+2 season PPG), but I’m assuming that he will be the first callup in 2021-2022 and we may see him more often depending on injuries.  In 2022-2023 he will be a mainstay.  I believe he will be a better third line center fit than Gaudette and hockey_gaud will be ready for heavy fourth line minutes by then.  Madden will be signed to a 3 year ELC worth around $1.1 million per year.

On D, we will have to re-sign Edler (one year, probably his last year)… he will be slowing down and will be a great mentor to Rathbone on a third pairing.  Edler for $2.5 million on a one year.

Tryamkin will be gone (won’t be what we need) and Rathbone will finally be welcomed into the fold full time.  Rathbone at $1.2 million per for a couple of years sounds right…

Since this is the year to “go for it” (take that lightly… I never believe in going all in… too many variables), I believe we will use some of our extra cap space to sign a UFA defenseman for Juolevi’s right side.  That man is John Kingberg of the Dallas Stars or Seth Jones of the Columbus Blue Jackets.  Both will be around 28-29 years old and will want a good chunk of change on their next contract.  One of them will be a Canuck.  Let’s say Klingberg (the lesser of the two) for 5 years @ $7.5 million per.  While this will be an overpayment after a couple of years, it gives us a clear window and our young players deserve that.

So, as it stands, here is the roster for the 2022-2023 season (* = new contract numbers that are estimated).  You’ll see this allows room for any contract bonuses that have been carried over year to year over the previous years, which sets us up for future years…  I challenge you to find a hole on this team…

Total (83.55)

Forwards (49.75)

Boeser (8.5*) - Pettersson (10.0) - Miller (5.25)

Podkolzin (1.8) - Horvat (5.5) - Ferland (3.5)

Virtanen (4.5*) – Madden (1.1) - Hoglander (0.9)

Lind (1.3) - Gaudette (4*) -  MacEwen (1.5*)

Depth (1.2)

Depth (0.7)

Defense (27.25)

Myers (6) - Hughes (6.75)

Juolevi (1.8) – Klingberg (7.5*)

Edler (2.5*) - Rathbone (1.2*)

7th Dman (1.5)

Goalies (6.55)

Markstrom (5.5)

Dipietro (1.05)

On 1/30/2020 at 1:56 PM, oldnews said:

cool story, Leaf-blower guy.

easy enough to evidence to be yet another of your flake claims. 

I've been wrong plenty of times - have owned it many times on these boards (probably not in relation to smarmy types like yourself but that's beside the point - and regarding things far more relevent than a side issue like an LE buyout cap hit.  I'll make you a deal - I'll admit I was wrong about LE's buyout cap hit  -you admit you were wrong about both rethings - the Canucks'/Benning's and the Leafs/"next Blackhawks" lol /#proper-rebuild . ;)

Clown. 

1. You argued to death that you don't need high draft picks to rebuild.  Where would the Canucks be without Pettersson & Hughes?  

2. You also claimed constant losing will ruin prospects and turn us into the Oilers.  How many of our prospects got ruined?  I'll wait..  ;)

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

So. 

You think you have a point there?

You're the usual waste of time.

Yeah.  My point is you were wrong about the things you argued to death for years.  You never admitted you were wrong, and would post stupid memes when cornered with the truth.  I was right, you were wrong.  Being correct over you is a low bar to set but after those years of arguing.. it feels good :bigblush:.  

17 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

Yeah.  My point is you were wrong about the things you argued to death for years.  You never admitted you were wrong, and would post stupid memes when cornered with the truth.  I was right, you were wrong.  Being correct over you is a low bar to set but after those years of arguing.. it feels good :bigblush:.  

Whatever makes you feel better.

Yes - the tanktard that whined the most on these boards about this rething, that insisted endlessly that the team must

#proper-rebuilid

#teardown

#stockpileallthapickz

must be lottery championz!

like the "next Blackhawks"!  / TML

- was right all along. 

DimJim's approach has clearly failed.  ;)You were right, I was wrong lulz. 

I understand the salt though - your Laffs sit in 10th place in the East, and for the first time in years have to deal with an injury or two....

what a build!

All that Dubas/Spamaplan fluffing has really paid off for you - you were SO RIGHT!

Your ability to have an argument is handicapped by your inability to comprehend the argument - that is, if your'e not willfully obtuse.

(hang in there - there's still time for your 'inevitable dynasty.')

Edited by oldnews