The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) Brenden Dillon

Saw today that Sportsnet was talking about who we should target, and Brenden Dillon was a name that came up.

Crash course on Dillon: He's a big guy (225?) with decent speed, and is largely used as a defensive compliment to EK... much like we currently utilize Tanev with Hughes. While I don't think he would be quite as good defensively, he brings more size to the lineup at a lower cost. He is injury resistant and is a BC boy.

Dillon's is UFA at end of season, but one would guess he might not be too keen to re-sign with a team that badly needs a rebuild. While there are no guarantees he would re-up with us, I feel there is a good chance he will given our team trajectory, culture, and the fact he grew up cheering the Canucks.

Sure we could go after him in the offseason, but I am confident if we give him a taste of this team now we have the best chance of him staying.

I can't imagine he would be too expensive given his UFA status. Trade them Benn (He becomes redundant), and Goldobin maybe? Goldy is RFA so they can likely re-sign him cheap. If that isn't enough return for them we could throw in a very late draft pick.

This also gives us another option should we need to let Tanev walk due to injuries and cap issues. 

Defensive lines become:

Edler Stecher

Hughes Tanev

Dillon Myers

Oscar

Next season, it COULD could be:

Edler Tanev

Dillon Hughes

Tryamkin Myers

Thoughts?

• Cheers 1

You know, as much as its fun to speculate on "What if..." and "How would we look if we did this...", I kind of like the way this team looks now and would really be happy if the deadline passed with nothing more than a couple of lateral trades like possibly moving Baerstchi out for a mid range pick. 

Unless there's an upgrade that comes at an unbelievable deal, I would be just as happy to let this years playoffs be a benchmark of how far the team has come and then look at trying to push harder next year.

We need to see how these guys really work together under pressure and who is going to be able to take their game to that next level under playoff pressure conditions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, VegasCanuck said:

You know, as much as its fun to speculate on "What if..." and "How would we look if we did this...", I kind of like the way this team looks now and would really be happy if the deadline passed with nothing more than a couple of lateral trades like possibly moving Baerstchi out for a mid range pick. 

Unless there's an upgrade that comes at an unbelievable deal, I would be just as happy to let this years playoffs be a benchmark of how far the team has come and then look at trying to push harder next year.

We need to see how these guys really work together under pressure and who is going to be able to take their game to that next level under playoff pressure conditions.

From JB’s comments I think he agrees with you 100%

We have Benn and Fantenberg that can play a similar role. So even if we could get him with a 4th or whatever, I'd rather just keep the pick (especially with our drafting of late). I'm not opposed to kicking the tires on him as a UFA to see the cost and if it's worth trying to move Benn. As an LD, he's not replacing Edler or Hughes, so there's not much room for him. We need room for OJ, Rathbone and even Brisebois to get some looks at LD too.

Of course there's the possibility of shifting Hughes to RD, so for next season:

Edler-Hughes

Dillon-Myers

Benn(maybe Rathbone or OJ)-Tryamkin

Brisebois/Chatfield

But that puts a couple of left handed guys on the right side.

Whatever the case, don't think we need to be buyers at the deadline unless we can recoup those picks through other trades (eg Leivo/Stecher/etc being moved).

We already have Benn, plus we have Tryamkin coming up that fits that description so no need to spend any assets on Dillon. Including cap space this summer. I would have liked him on the team as a rugged hulking Dman but I think he's redundant in the bottom pairing and he's not a reliable top 4 dman like Tanev - when he's not injured.

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Like Dillon, but he handles the puck like a hit potato.  We have him already in Benn. 

I feel Dillon is a upgrade on Benn and is much tougher then Benn.. Dillon solid # 5 on any NHL team 29 yrs old, 6'4, 225..

I think Sharks would want Stetcher in return...

I think JB wants to see if any of the Utica D are possibilities for next season, so will want to bring them up during the remainder of the season.  Brisbois, Rafferty, Sautner and maybe even Juolevi if he continues to improve.  Plus there's the Tryamkin situation.

Same goes for some of the F prospects as well.  Get them playing with the team (one at a time, of course); see what they can do.

Any player they pick up at TD could end up blocking a prospect that may be very close to NHL ready.

2 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

wouldn't mind adding a b.c boy to our line up.  My old co worker went to school with him. He is fijian if anyone is curious.  (Dillon)

He is part Portuguese and French.  You would think he is Indo-Canadian with a name like Dillon and growing up in Surrey.

He grew up a Canuck fan.  His grandmother told him not to hit the Canucks.  jk

https://www.nhlpa.com/news/1-19659/after-the-buzzer-brenden-dillon

I feel Dillon is an upgrade to Benn, and apparently he has really come into his own defensively. I've read a few articles which bring up some pretty good deep numbers. He seems to pass the eye test too. My thought process again is to have a second guy who can be the 2nd best defender behind Tanev. I know Tanev is having a great season, but if he goes down we are going to be hurting for such a guy in a big way. Benn is not that guy, imo. It also helps the PK.

Both Oscar and Benn have had spurts where they look decent, but overall I haven't been impressed. Dillon may bring a few more points, speed, and better hitting/size. 

I am not saying he would make a *huge* difference, but I think he would be an improvement without giving up much at all.

I am hoping we get Tryamkin back, but even if we do I don't think that makes a guy like Dillon redundant. It just adds to our already big team. Benning has cited St. Louis as being effective due largely to their size and I agree - so the more the merrier.

Given my lineup suggestion for next year, I think it works. Pairing a defensive player with a more scoring d-man on all 3 pairings. Isn't that ideal?

As for wanting to give a couple guys on Utica a shot - that's fair. But I think we can still do that via injury fill-in which is inevitable. Oscar was only signed for 1 season.

This all also makes Stecher a trade asset. I like him, but let's face it... he is ok at everything, but not exactly great at anything. He gets by making smart plays and high effort, but he isn't going to make our team tougher to play against. To me, that brute of a d in my second year suggestion would do exactly that.

Also keep in mind that the Myers contract was structured as an attractive option for the ED. We may very well lose him, and if so that too opens up opportunity for a Utica player as well as making size an even more important aspect of the remaining d.

9 hours ago, kloubek said:

I can't imagine he would be too expensive given his UFA status. Trade them Benn (He becomes redundant), and Goldobin maybe? Goldy is RFA so they can likely re-sign him cheap. If that isn't enough return for them we could throw in a very late draft pick.

Really think they'd want him back?