Sign in to follow this  
kloubek

(Discussion) Brenden Dillon

I believe the team is in good shape as is, but I also agree that the 3rd pairing could use an upgrade. 

Benn

One of Jasek, Brisebois, Gadjovich, or Palmu

A late pick (5th or 6th round)

tHOUGHTS?

No.  Dillon is not an upgrade on Fantenberg or Benn.  

Looking at our left side depth not sure I see it. And it seems like the coaching staff, and most around the league, generally like lefties on the left and righties on the right. At some point we need to get Juolevi in some games here, and with Tryamkin maybe coming back I just don't see a fit with Dillon on that left side. And I don't see them moving Hughes to the right side.

20 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

So at what cost? 

I guess the idea is OK, but looking back on last year he was a liability in the playoffs for them, his GF vs GA was pretty bad. I don't know if thats all on him or not.

http://naturalstattrick.com/playerreport.php?fromseason=20192020&thruseason=20192020&stype=3&sit=all&stdoi=oi&rate=n&v=p&playerid=8475455

The way people describe him to me reminds me of Douglas Murray. I loved playing against Murray, because although he had the occasional hit, you could get by him and get some serious scoring chances.

• Hydration 1

This narrative that Dillon is a sieve is odd. I've not heard that.

Here's a quote from Zeke Leo, who writes for Last Word on Hockey, regarding the Shark's season, and more specifically Dillon:

"The most obvious trade chip the Sharks have is left-handed defenseman Brenden Dillon. It is time to put Dillon with the player who he best fits with, which is Erik Karlsson. It is time to move him away from his current partner Brent Burns. Optimize him.

Last season, Dillon and Karlsson were an elite pairing. Why the Sharks coaches avoided this pairing this season is something that can’t be explained. Dillon is a very good player who gets none of the spotlight on a team with two Norris trophy winners and a third who won an Olympic gold. He should garner an excellent return.

It’s a shame the Sharks are unlikely to keep him with several more strong seasons ahead for him. Dillon’s strongest selling point may well be his ability to play effectively with others. The Sharks have three right-shot defensemen, and for each one, the highest Corsi For (CF%) comes when they are paired with Dillon."

2 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

This narrative that Dillon is a sieve is odd. I've not heard that.

I'm concerned at how big the GF/GA were for him in the last round of playoffs, but maybe there were other reasons besides him. 

7 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'm concerned at how big the GF/GA were for him in the last round of playoffs, but maybe there were other reasons besides him. 

I can think of at least two:

• Aaron Dell
  • Martin Jones
  • Hydration 1

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

No.  Dillon is not an upgrade on Fantenberg or Benn.  

Fantenberg has been a very pleasant surprise, really good value there. 

Its going to be hard for Benning to bring on anyone else if he can't find a way to shed Baer's contract.... thats the 1st thing that has to go. I'd really like to see Benning pry loose the Leaf's 2nd rounder with Benn, that could make room for Dillon too. 

• Like 1