The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] All Star Weekend - Jan 24/25 2020 - Pettersson, Hughes, and Markstrom edition

Rate this topic

xereau

12 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

Yeah I was thinking that it's odd that he's with the likes of Shea Weber (6'4", 229 lbs), Victor Hedman (6'6" 223 lbs), John Carlson (6'3" 218 lbs), Seth Jones (6'4" 210) and Mark Giordano (6'1" 200 lbs).  Petey's tall but he's only 176 lbs, so it'd be a testament to his talent if he can beat these bigger and taller guys.    

Is the 176 still accurate I thought he rolled into camp somewhat heavier 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Yeah, yet Slavin and Petriangelo are in the accuracy challenge... :mellow:

I laughed at the choice, I mean like, Slavin?! He is a good defensive defenseman and all that but come on, accuracy shooting?!

Edited by ruilin96

13 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

Yeah I was thinking that it's odd that he's with the likes of Shea Weber (6'4", 229 lbs), Victor Hedman (6'6" 223 lbs), John Carlson (6'3" 218 lbs), Seth Jones (6'4" 210) and Mark Giordano (6'1" 200 lbs).  Petey's tall but he's only 176 lbs, so it'd be a testament to his talent if he can beat these bigger and taller guys.    

Good shot is all about the hips.

Watch Petey, he transfers that kinetic energy of his hips into that one timer when he rips it so fast slow mo barely picks it up.

Don't be surprised when he challenges these bigger guys.

31 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

And the Canucks win the Stanley Cup.

1 hour ago, Laheys Liquor said:

And Quinn win the fastest skater.. can you imagine

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

And Markstrom win the save streak competition. 

and jake win the shot gun contest, erikkson champion for hide and seek

40 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

ahh it’s the NHL favourite person of week. You can’t have someone fighting for diversity if saying stuff like this

Idiots. These jingoistic morons don’t realize that it’s always been about protesting police brutality and has little to do with military engagement. In fact, a us army veteran suggested to Kaepernick to take a knee versus sitting down. 

Doing research is a lot more mentally taxing to these troglodytes than posting a tweet though. 

• Cheers 1

Clearly some of the ASG big wigs heard the buzz around Hughes’ skating and decided to put him in the fastest skater...not realizing that the most remarkable aspect of his skating are his turns and edges. His top gear, while good, is nowhere near the other burners in the field. Quinn seems to be much faster with the puck than he is on the back check sometimes. I think he would have kicked arse in the puck handling drills.

I don’t expect him to fare that well in this....but then again I thought he was going to go through a bit of a tough adjustment in defending NHL players. So I am more than happy to be proved wrong. Maybe his edges will give him a leg up coming out of the corners with speed? All I know for sure is that I’ll be watching. EP and Marky too of course.

Edited by Locke Lamora
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, BlueDragon23 said:

Yeah, I despise the All Star game. It’s nothing more than a stupid cash grab by the NHL. Haven’t met one fan that actually looks forward to it. 

That being said, I wish our boys the best of luck, and I might watch the skills competition but won’t tune into the game. 

the all star game has been around since it before it became a cash grab  as you call it , its an allstar game its a fun event for the players  and fans , even if it is a gloried practice 

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Idiots. These jingoistic morons don’t realize that it’s always been about protesting police brutality and has little to do with military engagement. In fact, a us army veteran suggested to Kaepernick to take a knee versus sitting down. 

Doing research is a lot more mentally taxing to these troglodytes than posting a tweet though. 

typical douche, uneducated trump supporting american

• Cheers 1

Gotta be weird for Tkachuk, knowing some players there hate him, maybe some not wanting him on the team. Well, I heard on Hockey Central that Draisaitl doesn't want to play on the same line. Could be interesting what Tocchet does.

Really happy for Quinn, Elias and Jacob to get this opportunity. The fact that VAN has 3 players at the ASG makes me believe their days of losing are over and they're now on the upswing. Future looks good.   

16 hours ago, Brad Marchand said:

I might be in the minority of people who think it will be great to see Petey rip 100 mph clappers in front of some of the league's hardest shooters. If he can do it, it will probably take some people around the league by surprise.

Its doable. He put up 97.5 against Mika Zibanejad before he came over to the NHL. (zibanajed beat him by a couple kph)

16 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Gotta be weird for Tkachuk, knowing some players there hate him, maybe some not wanting him on the team. Well, I heard on Hockey Central that Draisaitl doesn't want to play on the same line. Could be interesting what Tocchet does.

Really happy for Quinn, Elias and Jacob to get this opportunity. The fact that VAN has 3 players at the ASG makes me believe their days of losing are over and they're now on the upswing. Future looks good.   

Maybe they throw Tkachuk out on the ice alone.

Although we have such good character players, Petey and Quinn will probably volunteer to play with him, so he isn't left out.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, xereau said:

Good shot is all about the hips.

Watch Petey, he transfers that kinetic energy of his hips into that one timer when he rips it so fast slow mo barely picks it up.

Don't be surprised when he challenges these bigger guys.

golf swings, hockey shots, volleyball spikes...  power starts in the core and ends in last second snap of the wrists.