The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] - Tanev Trade

laddie

41 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

The only players in our top 6 definitively better than Kapanen are Boeser, Miller, Petey and Horvat. I get you're anti Leafs but Kapanen is a much better Hansen. Doesn't quite have Hansen's grit but Hansen didn't have anywhere near the offensive talent of Kapanen. I'd take Kapanen for Tanev in a heartbeat. Kapanen Pearson and Horvat would be such an annoying line to play against in all 3 zones. Hell Kapanen could even play with Petey and open up the ice in a big way for him. Kapanen isn't a one way player, he is a dog and defensively responsible. Dude is legit.

Jake and Pearson are far more valuable players (and have more effect on winning) than Crapenen.  

I like Kapanen's contract and he is looking like he's developing into a solid 20 goal/50ish point winger. Currently has about 30 points in 50 games on a Leafs team that went through some major struggles earlier this season. If I recall he is also very fast which I love in a player. Does anyone know if he plays in their top 6 regularly or on their 3rd line? 

Alflives I know you hate Toronto, but I don't think it is really accurate to say Jake or Pearson have that much more value. Jake is pretty much tied in points with him right now and I'm stoked about Pearson for sure, but he is 4 years older and we aren't a cup contender yet. Maybe Kapanen could be another piece to our team on a decent contract for a few more years. 

But although I like the dude I also really like Tanev and am not sure the risk is worth the reward if we're trying to make the playoffs. I think if we could try to squeeze Toronto for a little more like Tanev (maybe throw Goldy in) for Kap + 2nd round then I would be willing to for the risk, but that might be too high a price for Toronto even though they are in cup contention stage now. We'd need to bring up Rafferty afterwards which is also exciting but slightly nerve racking. 

41 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Jake and Pearson are far more valuable players (and have more effect on winning) than Crapenen.  

Pearson is a left winger anyway, and I'd argue is a bit of a passenger on Bo's line. He is a better Eriksson, does the little things very well. When you don't notice him he's at his best. I haven't watched a single game this season and thought, "dang, Pearson really is playing one hell of a game" it's always "dang, Pearson picked up a couple more points". Which is a testament to his skill, but I wouldn't put him above Kapanen and say he's "far more valuable". And Jake is a 3rd liner with some good top 6 moments, I love Jake and want to see him more. But to say he is far more valuable is a joke. At this point it's clear you just want to hate on all Leaf players with no real reason other than being an old man yelling at the Toronto Maple Leaf cloud in the sky. So I'll leave you to that existence. Good day sir.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, laddie said:

I agree completely and that’s why a trade like this is only possible if the teams performance over the next month drops us out of playoff contention.  

Agreed. 

My big concern about trading Tanman is whether there is a comparable replacement for him.  Looking at the ufa list, the only one that might work is maybe Gudas?  I'm not sure about potential trades.

What I wouldn't want to see is a return to the Myers/Hughes experiment.  Hughes needs a solid defensive d partner, who can read the play and step in when he gets into trouble.  Also, a player like Gudas has some size (which he can use) to protect Hughes from players taking their liberties.

I just don't see that replacing Tanev makes the defence any better.  The 3rd pairing ld is very weak and although he's performing well, I wonder about Stech playing alongside Edler.  If Green can continue to spread out the toi (by making the 3rd pairing better) it can work, but it isn't ideal.

9 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Agreed. 

My big concern about trading Tanman is whether there is a comparable replacement for him.  Looking at the ufa list, the only one that might work is maybe Gudas?  I'm not sure about potential trades.

What I wouldn't want to see is a return to the Myers/Hughes experiment.  Hughes needs a solid defensive d partner, who can read the play and step in when he gets into trouble.  Also, a player like Gudas has some size (which he can use) to protect Hughes from players taking their liberties.

I just don't see that replacing Tanev makes the defence any better.  The 3rd pairing ld is very weak and although he's performing well, I wonder about Stech playing alongside Edler.  If Green can continue to spread out the toi (by making the 3rd pairing better) it can work, but it isn't ideal.

Tryamkin.

If we are serious about the playoffs though, then I wouldn't trade Tanev. Keep him as a free "rental" and gives us the best chance at winning, especially if Tryamkin returns as well. However that makes Stecher expendable. Unless a deal can be made where he takes a paycut to stay, I'd trade him to Toronto (or wherever) for a 3rd round pick (squeeze a 2nd if a team is desperate).

Last thing we need now are even more wingers. Kapanen is good, but we need to work out what to do with our glut of forwards currently before hurting the depth on defense to upgrade in an overloaded position.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

Pearson is a left winger anyway, and I'd argue is a bit of a passenger on Bo's line. He is a better Eriksson, does the little things very well. When you don't notice him he's at his best. I haven't watched a single game this season and thought, "dang, Pearson really is playing one hell of a game" it's always "dang, Pearson picked up a couple more points". Which is a testament to his skill, but I wouldn't put him above Kapanen and say he's "far more valuable". And Jake is a 3rd liner with some good top 6 moments, I love Jake and want to see him more. But to say he is far more valuable is a joke. At this point it's clear you just want to hate on all Leaf players with no real reason other than being an old man yelling at the Toronto Maple Leaf cloud in the sky. So I'll leave you to that existence. Good day sir.

Screw the Loser Leafs and their mcsofty perimiter selfish loser players.  Why in the hell would a real Canuck’s fan have any interest in a Loser Leaf like Crapanen.  If you like the Leafs go to their board and get affirmation about their players.  

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Screw the Loser Leafs and their mcsofty perimiter selfish loser players.  Why in the hell would a real Canuck’s fan have any interest in a Loser Leaf like Crapanen.  If you like the Leafs go to their board and get affirmation about their players.  

season 5 episode 6 GIF by Workaholics

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, laddie said:

I don’t know how they are even remotely similar players and I think you are highly overvaluing Baer who hasn’t played more then 69 games, is 4 years older, has never hit the 20 goal mark and is currently playing in the AHL. 

shot maps are nearly identical. Similar size physically, slight edge to Kapanen. I just don't see the opportunity cost difference worth it from Baer or even Lazarus Loui if he  can keep it up. We can get more for Tanev. 

Edler - Stecher

Hughes - Myers

Fantenberg - Benn

Rafferty

Juolevi

Brisebois

Tryamkin*

Canucks can afford to trade Tanev, and really take advantage of TOR. I don't see Benning trading Tanev though, especially when trying to make the playoffs. If the team is winning and they're healthy, they probably won't want to make any big changes.  

2 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Don’t bother with Alf. He has no use for facts, logic, intelligent conversation. 

We could get WAY more for Tanev right now.

I think we should seriously consider offers as long as we have a smooth transition plan.

It's really feeling like some teams are desperate for a solid defender.

I love Tanev.

He's so stable on the back end, but teams like Winnipeg will overpay.

Can he remain healthy if we re-sign him? I'm not sure.

2 minutes ago, Tystick said:

We could get WAY more for Tanev right now.

I think we should seriously consider offers as long as we have a smooth transition plan.

It's really feeling like some teams are desperate for a solid defender.

I love Tanev.

He's so stable on the back end, but teams like Winnipeg will overpay.

Can he remain healthy if we re-sign him? I'm not sure.

What does Winterpig have that we would want?  

58 minutes ago, Tystick said:

Picks and likely a prospect, not to mention the freed up cap space.

Doesn't necessarily have to be Winnipeg but I feel like some GMs will pay a premium.

Tanev is one the best shut down d in the league.  Why don’t we just keep him?

Interesting times for our team right now.  Does management roll with this squad because the team has earned it or do they build for the future?   Playoff experience is building for the future.  That said, the easiest call for management may be to stand pat, the team is playing so well, next easiest call is to wait to see how the team is doing at the TDL.  Is this the right call?  I think Toronto and Winnipeg need to make moves now and won't wait it out till the TDL.  

Management should already know if Tanev is going to be too expensive to sign for next season and into the future.  Depends on the cap going up, but Management may have already decided Tanev has to go next season because of the ufa signings they've already made.  In my mind Tanev is more valuable then any of the following players to the Canucks team  Eriksson, Sutter, Beagle, Roussel, Ferland, Myers.  

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

Hey Alf... maybe screw the Leafs by grabbing one of there best fwds for a soon to be ufa?    

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Comeback_Kings said:

Interesting times for our team right now.  Does management roll with this squad because the team has earned it or do they build for the future?   Playoff experience is building for the future.  That said, the easiest call for management may be to stand pat, the team is playing so well, next easiest call is to wait to see how the team is doing at the TDL.  Is this the right call?  I think Toronto and Winnipeg need to make moves now and won't wait it out till the TDL.  

Management should already know if Tanev is going to be too expensive to sign for next season and into the future.  Depends on the cap going up, but Management may have already decided Tanev has to go next season because of the ufa signings they've already made.  In my mind Tanev is more valuable then any of the following players to the Canucks team  Eriksson, Sutter, Beagle, Roussel, Ferland, Myers.  

Hey Alf... maybe screw the Leafs by grabbing one of there best fwds for a soon to be ufa?    

Like how we bent over Dumbass to get Leivo?  Okay, I get that.  :towel:

As long as we make the playoffs, and the Loser Leafs continue to fall I’m good 

• Like 1