The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] - Tanev Trade

laddie

9 hours ago, laddie said:

To Toronto: Chris Tanev and Reid Boucher

To Vancouver: Kapanen and a 3rd Round Pick

Toronto needs help on defence and we need a RW to play with Horvat. 

A big NO thanks.

We need Tanev much more than Kapanen.

We already have too many forwards.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Pearson is a left winger anyway, and I'd argue is a bit of a passenger on Bo's line. He is a better Eriksson, does the little things very well. When you don't notice him he's at his best. I haven't watched a single game this season and thought, "dang, Pearson really is playing one hell of a game" it's always "dang, Pearson picked up a couple more points". Which is a testament to his skill, but I wouldn't put him above Kapanen and say he's "far more valuable". And Jake is a 3rd liner with some good top 6 moments, I love Jake and want to see him more. But to say he is far more valuable is a joke. At this point it's clear you just want to hate on all Leaf players with no real reason other than being an old man yelling at the Toronto Maple Leaf cloud in the sky. So I'll leave you to that existence. Good day sir.

I have had a lot of games where I thought Pearson is having a great game. I don't think you have a career year and be on pace for 60 points without doing so. He's been our best winger outside the lotto line players and one of the most consistent players this season. Been effectively good in all situations, leading our team in SH points, 2nd PP unit in PP points, EN goals you name it.

He isn't the most skilled guys but he is one of the hardest workers and can pot you goals when you need it. I would put him above Kapanen this season. Pearson is on pace for a lot more effective of a season and his game will translate well in the playoffs.

let's get hughes very comfortable

playing in nhl games

and keep him paired with tanev

tanev is such a smart player and a complete player as well

he can adjust his game as necessary to support hughes

hughes is the future on the d for this team

he needs to develop calmly and consistently to ensure he hits his entire potential

and should stay with 1 d partner mostly

unless that is not working, and it is, presently anyway

Edited by coastal.view

I’m afraid the time to trade Tanev has long passed. We kept him through our rebuild and now we’re in a position to make the playoffs. Management wants that for our young guys. They’d much rather keep Tanev as he helps our team more than Kapenen would. Even if it means keeping Tanev for this year and us losing him as an FA.

13 hours ago, laddie said:

Give your head a shake dude.

Trading Tanev would inappropriately place Myers, Stecher, and Benn into roles that they wouldn’t be suitable for.  I shudder to think what would happen with injuries.  Just a bad idea all around.    Eriksson is doing fine with Horvat right now.   Why change that?  The Canucks aren’t in a position to be trading their dmen.

17 hours ago, laddie said:

Eeewwww.

Tanev is having a career revival playing with huggy bear, if quinn is in the final 3 for calder voting it is in part because of the chemistry he and tanev have.

Tanevs on pace for a career year in points.

Canucks winger depth is not an issue, defence is.

Lw

Miller

Pearson 

Ferland 

Roussel 

Rw 

Boeser 

Virtanen 

Leivo

With Lind, Madden, podkolzin, Hoglander in the lower leagues.

Baertschi Goldobin Boucher Macewan Graovac Bailey 

Who takes Tanevs hard minutes? Stecher? Lol

17 hours ago, Alflives said:

The Loser Leafs are more likely to become sellers than we are.  They are faltering.  

Chances are that the canucks contact the laffs to kick tires on one of their pending UFA dmen.

16 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

If we wanted a Kapanen style player we have Baer in the system. 

We don't need F help, we need it on defence. Unless we can upgrade Tanev's position or recover a 1st and use Tanev's cap space in free agency for d we should stand pat.

If we somehow can't get tanev back, i would like GMJB to kick the tires on Pietrangelo.

Next year d

Hughes Pietrangelo 

Edler Myers 

Tryamkin Juolevi

Benn Rafferty 

:wub:

Anyone else see the article today on Tryamkin returning to the NHL next season?

16 hours ago, Rick Blight said:

This was a media post last summer (2018) that would certainly contradict your perceived value of Tanev. I actually agree that we should move him as he is as one dimensional as it gets, potential UFA and his salary does not really fit with our salary cap structure.

Why you trade him: If the team is looking to accelerate a rebuild, trading Tanev could help.

Why you don’t trade him: He’s coming off an injury-ravaged season and when he played he wasn’t all that good. His value has never been lower. This has been reflected in incredibly low offers for him this off-season, including mid-round picks, B-level prospects and fourth-line grinders. Also, teams have asked the Canucks to take salary back.

Conclusion: Considering the offers, untradeable. The Canucks can’t give him away.

Trade: tanev to accelerate a rebuild?

We're #1 in the Pacific as of now.

If Tanevs value is so low and so one dimensional anything we get for him will not equate to the value he brings the team.

Why you don't trade tanev:

Tanev is having a career revival playing with huggy bear, if quinn is in the final 3 for calder voting it is in part because of the chemistry he and tanev have.

Only way tanev is moved is if the canucks miss the playoffs(ha!) Or he is a part of a package to get a better/younger rhd.

Conclusion: the only thing related to the canucks that are untradeable are some of the posters on cdc.

• Cheers 2

If this team trades any of our top 4 D you can kiss playoff hopes goodbye.

Only moves this team could get away with is trading cap out via Sutter/Eriksson/Baer but managing to get player out of it. If we were willing to part with more picks ANA would be a partner.

• Cheers 1

Tanev is having the best season he's had in years health wise - same with Edler - call it the Myers effect - if we have any playoff aspirations at all this year we can't move him, no way Rafferty or whomever is going to step in and do what the does for Q Hughes and the team.   

The real question is should we re-sign him or let him walk after the playoffs...I'd be tempted to offer him two more years - only because our right side isn't deep.  Stetcher might be a smarter move.  Like to see Rafferry given some games to both rest players on the R side and too see what he can do at this level.   Maybe he could make one of these guys redundant enough to risk a trade before he deadline...or maybe it will just reinforce how thin that side is.  Tree also shoots left, same with OJ, Brisbois etc...some say Tree might come back and play the R side but just like Rafferty we really don't know how good he is in this league (he's now past the point where playing in the KHL is helping development - its a big step up to the NHL and who knows if he's really going to stick IF he comes a back- plus we'd have to shed payroll for it to work).   

Pretty risky trade for both teams - no way TO would do it unless Tanev agrees to sign too.  

Tryamkin can play this year and in the playoffs, even if he signs after the trade deadline, he simply has to be released after they either miss the playoffs or are eliminated. After that he can sign and catch a plane for Vancouver. I really think it will come down to the offers that JB gets for Tanev, they will have to be really good for him to make the move, but stranger things have happened at the deadline.

Edited by aliboy

24 minutes ago, aliboy said:

Tryamkin can play this year and in the playoffs, even if he signs after the trade deadline, he simply has to be released after they either miss the playoffs or are eliminated. After that he can sign and catch a plane for Vancouver. I really think it will come down to the offers that JB gets for Tanev, they will have to be really good for him to make the move, but stranger things have happened at the deadline.

Are you sure about that? 

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/nikita-tryamkin-possible-return-canucks

Tryamkin’s KHL contract with his hometown team, Avtomobilist Yekaterinburg, is set to expire on April 30. That’s after the last game of the regular season, and he wouldn’t be eligible to play in the playoffs, so the soonest Tryamkin could return is at the start of the 2020-21 season.” 

6 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Are you sure about that? 

Tryamkin’s KHL contract with his hometown team, Avtomobilist Yekaterinburg, is set to expire on April 30. That’s after the last game of the regular season, and he wouldn’t be eligible to play in the playoffs, so the soonest Tryamkin could return is at the start of the 2020-21 season.” 

thats wrong. He's on our reserve list so he can play at any time, just like if he was a college player (e.g., McAvoy).

Also, the KHL playoffs start Feb 25th, if his team doesn't make it he can come over and play, his KHL team can't prevent it. Although looking at the KHL standings it looks like they will. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill

10 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Are you sure about that? 

Agree with Jimmy, as long as he's released when his season ends, they either miss the playoffs or are eliminated, he can sign and play.

Copied this over from another thread:

I expect you guys already know this but Tryamkin can be signed after the trade deadline and still play in this years playoffs, here's the article which also states that this does apply to RFA's.

https://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/and-now-you-know/2019/1/9/18174522/so-you-heard-a-rumour-about-the-toronto-maple-leafs-signing-a-european-ufa

"However, if you read that rule it says it doesn’t apply to players on the reserve list or players on loan to the European club. That means players the Leafs already have the rights to, who have been loaned to Europe, are eligible to join the team. They can even join their NHL team after the trade deadline and still play in the playoffs."

6 hours ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Eeewwww.

Canucks winger depth is not an issue, defence is.

Lw

Miller

Pearson 

Ferland 

Roussel 

Rw 

Boeser 

Virtanen 

Leivo

With Lind, Madden, podkolzin, Hoglander in the lower leagues.

Baertschi Goldobin Boucher Macewan Graovac Bailey 

Who takes Tanevs hard minutes? Stecher? Lol

Chances are that the canucks contact the laffs to kick tires on one of their pending UFA dmen.

If we somehow can't get tanev back, i would like GMJB to kick the tires on Pietrangelo.

Next year d

Hughes Pietrangelo 

Edler Myers 

Tryamkin Juolevi

Benn Rafferty 

:wub:

Anyone else see the article today on Tryamkin returning to the NHL next season?

Trade: tanev to accelerate a rebuild?

We're #1 in the Pacific as of now.

If Tanevs value is so low and so one dimensional anything we get for him will not equate to the value he brings the team.

Why you don't trade tanev:

Only way tanev is moved is if the canucks miss the playoffs(ha!) Or he is a part of a package to get a better/younger rhd.

Conclusion: the only thing related to the canucks that are untradeable are some of the posters on cdc.

Dreaming of Pietrangelo coming here is also a dumb idea.   Canucks will need to be extremely mindful of their cap and won’t be able to afford AP.    Keeping Marky and Tanev will be possible, but Stecher will have to be replaced with Rafferty, and Sutter and Baertschi will likely need to be moved with 50% retention. 

If the Canucks can’t convince Eriksson to retire or more Eriksson with a sweetener, then they’ll have to move Pearson at the draft, and replace Pearson with someone like Goldobin.

15 minutes ago, aliboy said:

Agree with Jimmy, as long as he's released when his season ends, they either miss the playoffs or are eliminated, he can sign and play.

Copied this over from another thread:

I expect you guys already know this but Tryamkin can be signed after the trade deadline and still play in this years playoffs, here's the article which also states that this does apply to RFA's.

https://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/and-now-you-know/2019/1/9/18174522/so-you-heard-a-rumour-about-the-toronto-maple-leafs-signing-a-european-ufa

"However, if you read that rule it says it doesn’t apply to players on the reserve list or players on loan to the European club. That means players the Leafs already have the rights to, who have been loaned to Europe, are eligible to join the team. They can even join their NHL team after the trade deadline and still play in the playoffs."

It’ll be interesting to see how it shakes out 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Alflives said:

Tanev is one the best shut down d in the league.  Why don’t we just keep him?

I have no problem with that, but does he stay healthy? Does he decline?

Are the offers too good to ignore?

I don't know the answers, but I'm sure Benning is considering it.

I think the question for me is a long term question

I wonder where Tanev is in 4 years at 34 and how capable he is at that date...….I think that is when our young core will be competing for the cup as a elite team.....

Then, we will compete with that core fore 4 or 5 years, and hopefully by that time, Benning has filled the Organization with more young core players, to continue on.

I think we have some of that in our current prospects, so we have a good start....long term

I do not see, anyone of Tanev, Edler, or Markstrom being core players, 4 or 5 years from now, nor do I see JB's rebuild complete yet.

This brings me to today, where I feel that people are crediting Hughes success in large part to Tanev's paring, which in small part is true, but I honestly think Tanev's success this years is in large part to Hughes and Myers, and our forwards lines being better. 

This brings to the question of trading Tanev......his UFA status, and our Cap

I wonder if Tanev's is greater than this?....which is...….Is Tanev = or >, than Tryamkin, 5 years of age, reduced Cap and the asset Tanev would bring in?

I use Tryamkin in this case, because Tryamkin is defensive in nature, and I believe, has the ability to play a #3 Dman, which Tanev is.

My answer to the above question, is no I don't think Tanev has that Value, and no I do not think Tanev will be a major contributor 4 or 5 years from now.

To me, it is short term pain for long term gain.

My main concern here on CDC is that we are falling into that same old trap, that we were in just after our last cup run, which was that we were afraid of making changes to an aging core. If you remember back, it took several years for us, to get behind moving Hamuis, Burrows, Hansen and Bieska, and in the end, everybody realized we waited too long. I am afraid that this will happen again...…...

So, I ask you, if Tanev went down with injury, are our playoff chances gone? And IMO, the answer is no, we still have a good chance, so although Tanev makes us better, it still comes down to the above question.

Is Tanev = or >, than Tryamkin, 5 years of age, reduced Cap and the asset Tanev would bring in?

So, if Tanev could be traded for Kapanen and a 3rd or a late 1st, I think you take him...……..I am an advocate of this and moving Kapanen for addition picks.

Just my take, but I think you have to consider that question.

• Like 2

I should note that my opinion is based on several things

#1...….Edler, Tanev will be gone and Myers will be on his last year, when our team becomes a true contender

#2...….This is where there is some hope applies, as I see the following happening

Hughes as a true #1......…….Paired with...…...Tryamkin as a true #3

Juolevi as a true #2/3......…...Paired with...…...Rafferty as a true #4

Rathbone as a true # 3/4...….Paired with...…...Woo as a true #4/5

Brisebois as a true #5/6...…..Paired with......….Myers as a true #5/6/7

#3...…..That Benning continues to draft defencemen...first RHD if available, and then LHD, in the next 2 years

I will also state, that not many teams use their own prospects to fill in defensive positions, so I see some change to this line up, as their true ceiling is exposed

• Like 1

Kapanen is a player I’ve been looking at for a while now, so I don’t think it’s a bad trade, other than the fact that it depletes our weakest position (right D) to add to a position that we already have depth at.

One part of this deal that I really don’t like is the addition of Boucher. He may not be an NHL player, but he’s been a stud for Utica, and I think having a star AHL player like Boucher to play under is part of why players like Lind, Jasek and Big Mac have been able to take the steps in their development that they have. 

• Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...

Putting this here as this seems to be a more all inclusive Trade Tanev talk rather than the Trade Tanev for Barrie.

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/nhl/chris-tanev-is-the-canucks-biggest-trade-chip-but-should-they-deal-him/ar-BBZI2KS?ocid=iehp

The 30-year-old has long had injury troubles but has managed to play in every game this season while logging nearly 20 minutes a night.  He’s on an expiring contract with a $4.45M cap hit, and with several contenders looking for defensive help, he’d fetch a good return.  

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/canucks-extra-super-monday

Nonetheless, a team will be interested. Draft picks have been offered for him before. This team has drafted well in recent seasons and you should always look to get as many lottery tickets as you can. Heck, maybe Tanev could get you a new first-round pick? Then the Miller trade’s price doesn’t seem so bad.

If we keep Tanev, I think we will definitely make the playoffs and have a good chance going to the 2nd round.

If we trade Tanev, I think we will still make the playoffs (possibly as low as a wild card spot) but will be bounced in the first round.

Decisions Decisions Decisions