The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How did you fund your schooling?

Rate this topic

ReggieBush

Ciao amici,

So I am planning on doing grad school in the USA next year, and of course (knowing my boujee ***) I am leaning towards private schools (Boston College, Georgetown, Gonzaga, Northwestern, and Saint Mary's). I have had help with my education (from family, and through scholarships) up until this point, but the US is a different monster in regards to tuition. So my question to y'all is how did/are you funding you post secondary schooling? I have avoided loans up until this point, and am not looking to incur debt. At the same time, I don't wan't to be a burden on my family. 

Is a fellowship or being a TA the route to go? Should I become a bookie? A stripper?

I would appreciate any advice or insight!

Grazie Mille 

Originally I had an opportunity in the US with research for a masters degree. That means No tution and you get paid.

However, I saved some money living at home and currently am doing a Masters degree (In the english language) in Germany.

"Tuition" is only ~500 dollars a semester. So essentially nothing.

And its quite inexpensive to be a student here actually.

Word.

Edit: I also found a job teaching English here at the Uni and it pays well.

Woo free education

Edited by Biasbieksa
  • Upvote 1

You will likely need to take on debt since you will (and should) focus on school if you are planning to go to one of the ones you listed.

I paid for mine by working full-time in a low-position clerk position with the government during the summer and saving up (I was extremely frugal). I also worked during school sometimes (sometimes was a full-time student and full-time worker). I did a line of credit (didn't use it much, just for tuition for 3 semesters), but didn't have any huge purchases or expenditures (I didn't even have a phone for most of my university).

Best of luck, and I hope you enjoy whichever school is lucky to pick you up :) 

Largely government grants. I have mild-moderate hearing loss, so Canada decided to give me tons of money. Beyond that, I just lived at home, so paying out of pocket was doable. I also went to a very cheap school for my undergraduate, so that helped too.

Things will very likely be much tighter if I go for a masters and I'm currently paying for my CPA schooling out of pocket.

Elementary:  winning A LOT at marbles.

Secondary:  extortion of A LOT of lunch money.

University:  sold myself A LOT for science experiments.  

Seriously:  worked on the farm, and in the local mill.  Pay was good, and Education was comparably cheap.  

14 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Largely government grants. I have mild-moderate hearing loss, so Canada decided to give me tons of money. Beyond that, I just lived at home, so paying out of pocket was doable. I also went to a very cheap school for my undergraduate, so that helped too.

Things will very likely be much tighter if I go for a masters and I'm currently paying for my CPA schooling out of pocket.

CPA is such a drain to pay for out of pocket. Not to mention the annual fee. Which module are you in ? I just made it through Assurance.. 

Attempting this without incurring  a debt is going to be tough. Questions you may want to ask. Are you going to be eligible for any type of scholarships or grants in America? Are any Canadian agencies willing to assist you in attending an out of country program? Some may, if the programs are not offered in Canada.  Taking a program in the USA will be costly, with that comes debt and if you plan to come back to Canada to work...that debt will be larger than you expected. 

So of course Grants and scholarships. 

MAYBE some work for tuition programs. not sure about this one.

A guide for Canadian students:

https://www.macleans.ca/education/university/study-in-the-united-states-a-guide-for-canadian-students/

I would study what you need here with transferable credits to a college of your choice...then take the remainder in America.  That will take research.

Do some research on forgivable students loans. Here in Canada Student loans are forgiven IF:

https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benefits/education/student-aid/grants-loans/repay/assistance/doctors-nurses.html

Worked at a community center and sharpened skates and did power skating lessons.  I had to clean 22 toilets every week.  My wife told me that I didn't have to clean toilets at home for the rest of my life.  She has carried through with that promise.  :)

• Like 2

Worked in a union job at good pay during the summer.  Yeah, that was a long time ago!  Kept at it for another couple of years to save up for grad school, then got a scholarship after my first year.  Still ended up in my parent's basement at age 30 trying to finish my thesis!  Some on this board would still accuse me of sounding off from that location.

Best of luck making it happen.  I totally get why young people are upset about this issue.  It wasn't much better when I was young, but enough to make a difference.  Universities are awful money-grubbing institutions but could be way different with better, pro-people public policy.

1 hour ago, Chicken. said:

CPA is such a drain to pay for out of pocket. Not to mention the annual fee. Which module are you in ? I just made it through Assurance.. 

I've passed both core modules, but gave up part way through my first attempt on Finance. I plan to give it another shot with the new extended modules in the summer.

I've been good at saving and being stingy with what little I've been able to bring in. I get some grants and whatnot because of learning disabilities but I don't have a free ride by any means. I'll get through this diploma mostly unscathed. 

I'll probably work and pick away at my bachelors part time once I'm done with this diploma and maybe do my masters. In the end I'll be funding it mostly through student loans I imagine, my family has never been able to help me financially and the odds of landing a scholarship of some sort are low. Thousands of dollars worth of dept seems pretty inevitable. 

Edited by Coconuts