The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canada First

Rate this topic

Tree n Me

1 minute ago, Where's Wellwood said:

Its the same topic. Cheering for Canadian teams over American teams. 

Hate ‘em all except us.  If we can’t win then will cheer against teams I hate the most.  Don’t mind Winnipeg.  But that has nothing to do with it’s a Canadian city.  

Mikkim, I got a job teaching in Cranbrook (the Alberta part of BC) and never left.  While I cheer for Canadian teams - all Stanley Cup parades should be In Canada, I too hate it when Leafs and Habs fans show up for Canuck games to cheer for a team other than the Nucks.

1 hour ago, coastal.view said:

you do realize

that canadian players

make up the majority of nhlers still

nope, i am mistaken, they make up 43%

and are spread across the league as members of various teams

you can simply choose to support your canadian branded teams

made up of a mixture of players with different nationalities

but i'm not really sure that sort of support

is any better

then choices others may make to support a non canadian market team

i am also in favour

of national anthems no longer being played at sporting events

which do not involve national teams

20/23 of St Louis were Canadians.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Tree n Me said:

Mikkim, I got a job teaching in Cranbrook (the Alberta part of BC) and never left.  While I cheer for Canadian teams - all Stanley Cup parades should be In Canada, I too hate it when Leafs and Habs fans show up for Canuck games to cheer for a team other than the Nucks.

Do you call it the Alberta part of B.C. because you are on mountain time or because you are close to Alberta, or is it because you are from Alberta. Just curious, never herd any one refer to that region like that before, I've herd people refer to the Peace region that way because of the similarities but not south east B.C.

10 minutes ago, xereau said:

20/23 of St Louis were Canadians.

wow i am surprised

my outrageous statement was almost reality

hey

i'd like to have a business pursuit

where i can drape my marketing efforts

in a cloak of nationalist fervor

and use a national symbol (anthem) to create legitimacy

then when the times are right

i could really rake in vast amounts of money

(oh wait, again this has already happened, during the nuck 2011 cup run)

Edited by coastal.view

Born in Vancouver, raised in Marpole..  Used to take my wife to New West Bruins games.  It's the Alberta part of BC because of the time, the fact that Calgary and not Vancouver is our gateway city, people here shop in Lethbridge and Calgary, and that most high school grads go to post-secondary ed in Alberta because of the proximity and comparative ease of transportation.  In most of my elementary classes, the kids were split half and half between Flames and Canucks..  It was funny that my kids got BC Student Loans to go to SAIT and the University of Lethbridge.

59 minutes ago, 6string said:

I hate the Alberta teams and Toronto. I will always cheer for the opponents.

Let's not forget 2011 those Alberta cities turned on us and threw their support behind Boston!

I'm with you there. 

If I'm watching a game any of those teams are playing, I prefer they lose. If they're playing each other - I cheer for a bloodbath and no OT

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Montreal fans mostly were in our corner.  Granted, mainly because they LOATHED the Bruins.

**** Toronto.

**** Edmonton.

**** Calgary.

**** Ottawa.

ya I didn't mention montreal because they are bred to hate boston  and Toronto /Ottawa hell, ill even cheer for boston just for beating the leafs, even tho I hate both teams

Edited by the grinder
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Tree n Me said:

and so does antoinne Roussel , love his ' it pisses me off " comment 

5 hours ago, Tree n Me said:

I understand that natural rivalries exist between the Canucks and other teams.  As a Canuck fan since before Barry Wilkins scored franchise goal number one against Dennis DeJordy, the Canucks are my team, in good times and bad.  When the Canucks play a team like the Flames, I am solidly behind the Canucks, even though we live in the "Alberta" part of B.C.  I cheer for my hometown team to beat every team, whether it is a Canadian or American based franchise.  However, in a game between another Canadian team an ANY American team  I always choose to support the Canadian team.  I see lots of hate for certain Canadian teams on this forum, and to some degree I understand the feeling.  But I have never once in all the years I have watched hockey cheered for Any American based team when they were playing ANY Canadian team.  I'm still, and will always be, ticked that the Nordiques were relocated to a US city.

Most posters are bringing up good points, but I think they are missing the big picture. Hockey is Canadian, and Canada IS HOCKEY!!! It's been way too long since the cup has returned home and despite most of our Canadian players being on cup winning teams, I'm tired of playing second fiddle to the USA because of tax breaks and Low Caps and league intensives to promote non traditional hockey markets.

Bring the cup back home!!!! WOOOOO :towel:(Vancouver preferably)

Just now, Deets said:

Most posters are bringing up good points, but I think they are missing the big picture. Hockey is Canadian, and Canada IS HOCKEY!!! It's been way too long since the cup has returned home and despite most of our Canadian players being on cup winning teams, I'm tired of playing second fiddle to the USA because of tax breaks and Low Caps and league intensives to promote non traditional hockey markets.

Bring the cup back home!!!! WOOOOO :towel:(Vancouver preferably)

There's is no big picture.

It isn't the Olympics, World Championships, World Cup or World Juniors. This is a professional sports league and we aren't like the MLB or NBA where we have only one team. I'll cheer for the team I root for. You want Canadian pride? then take solace in the fact that most american teams have a large chunk of Canadians on them.

You think Canadian teams would root for us if we made the finals? Did they back in 2011 against the Bruins?!?!

Think about it.

• Cheers 1