The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Around the NHL | January/February (26-01) 2020

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

When the coach gets fired, they are blaming the coach for their woes. They want the team to step up, but the axe fell on the coach. If Poile truly believes it's not the coaching, then this is an even more absurd move. The fact that he is questioning the entire team would suggest he believes the team isn't motivated and who's job is to motivate the players? They made a decision and it's looking like the wrong one, just like the addition of Duchene. Have to imagine Poile's time is almost up as well.

Was a direct quote in his interview.  He was very upset in the interview:  "We have underperforming players right now...it's very disappointing to be sitting here today doing this".   "It’s not them (Laviolette/McCarthy), it’s our players they have to make up their mind to play the way they can".

"My message to the players was that 'I am responsible for this, I'm responsible for this change and I take that responsibility,'" Poile began, "'But you, as players, have to share the responsibility of what's taking place today.' I don't want to use a cliché, but they often say that you change your coach because it doesn't make sense to change 20 players. Our team is way better than it has performed this year… and we also have some individuals that are playing way below their level of potential or the expectations that we have.

"I'm very sorry that we had to make a coaching change. But, as I feel today, and I thought long and hard about this - I felt if we have any chance to play better in the second half of the season to get into the playoffs, to play to our potential that we needed a new voice. We need some changes. I don't think we need a lot of changes, but we need some changes."

All players are under notice (save for Josi) but his preference is by far to keep the group together but he does warn that if anyone has become too comfortable/complacent he will do something about it.

Can't imagine Poile being at risk.  Nashville is not set-up like any other team (as far as I know).   Ownership is composed of local businessmen that united to do something for their city when the previous owner was selling the team and the buyer wanted to relocate.  They are not looking for any return on investment and were not even into hockey when they advanced the funds. It's probably Poile that will be looking for his own replacement.  

7 hours ago, mll said:

Was a direct quote in his interview.  He was very upset in the interview:  "We have underperforming players right now...it's very disappointing to be sitting here today doing this".   "It’s not them (Laviolette/McCarthy), it’s our players they have to make up their mind to play the way they can".

"My message to the players was that 'I am responsible for this, I'm responsible for this change and I take that responsibility,'" Poile began, "'But you, as players, have to share the responsibility of what's taking place today.' I don't want to use a cliché, but they often say that you change your coach because it doesn't make sense to change 20 players. Our team is way better than it has performed this year… and we also have some individuals that are playing way below their level of potential or the expectations that we have.

"I'm very sorry that we had to make a coaching change. But, as I feel today, and I thought long and hard about this - I felt if we have any chance to play better in the second half of the season to get into the playoffs, to play to our potential that we needed a new voice. We need some changes. I don't think we need a lot of changes, but we need some changes."

All players are under notice (save for Josi) but his preference is by far to keep the group together but he does warn that if anyone has become too comfortable/complacent he will do something about it.

Can't imagine Poile being at risk.  Nashville is not set-up like any other team (as far as I know).   Ownership is composed of local businessmen that united to do something for their city when the previous owner was selling the team and the buyer wanted to relocate.  They are not looking for any return on investment and were not even into hockey when they advanced the funds. It's probably Poile that will be looking for his own replacement.  

So he put the blame on everyone from top down. In the end, they chose to fire the coach in a desperate hope that it would change things. So far not so good. 

Whether Poile finds his own replacement or what not. My statement still holds true that his time is almost up, but I guess more specifically as GM. Especially since they can't supposedly replace an entire team (although a full tear down and rebuild would be an example of trying to do so).

2 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

So he put the blame on everyone from top down. In the end, they chose to fire the coach in a desperate hope that it would change things. So far not so good. 

Whether Poile finds his own replacement or what not. My statement still holds true that his time is almost up, but I guess more specifically as GM. Especially since they can't supposedly replace an entire team (although a full tear down and rebuild would be an example of trying to do so).

Hes almost 70 yrs old lol. Regardless if the team was at the top of the standings I'd say that's a safe bet.

45 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Hes almost 70 yrs old lol. Regardless if the team was at the top of the standings I'd say that's a safe bet.

Lou Lamoriello is 77 years old and he seems to be finding the right pieces to make his team work still.

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

They are not going to fire Poile.  Rexode was just writing that the city of Nashville wants nothing more than to win a Cup for Poile.   It's not set up like other teams.  Their owners are not in it to make a profit - they never expected to get any money back their lifetime.  Poile has kept the team afloat on a shoestring during the difficult years and still managed to keep everything together when their previous owner decided to pull out and sell the team.  He deserves far more time than just missing the playoffs this year. 

Hynes is changing systems and it's going to take some time to adjust after playing so many years under Laviolette.  They just came back from deficits without giving up - wasn't the case earlier.  That's a start.  

2 minutes ago, mll said:

They are not going to fire Poile.  Rexode was just writing that the city of Nashville wants nothing more than to win a Cup for Poile.   It's not set up like other teams.  Their owners are not in it to make a profit - they never expected to get any money back their lifetime.  Poile has kept the team afloat on a shoestring during the difficult years and still managed to keep everything together when their previous owner decided to pull out and sell the team.  He deserves far more time than just missing the playoffs this year. 

Hynes is changing systems and it's going to take some time to adjust after playing so many years under Laviolette.  They just came back from deficits without giving up - wasn't the case earlier.  That's a start.  

Poile could still be part of the team in a different role (keep him in the presidential role that he's in while another GM runs the show for hockey operations). He's made some questionable decisions of late and their window appears to be closing again. Surely they will have more time with the Hynes experiment, but if this falters as well, then what else can they do if the mindset is they can't change the team and they have already changed their coach?

Poile has been lucky indeed to be in the position he's been and I think he's done a fine job, but there's only so many more years where they can flounder. If ownership is okay with just keeping Poile happy rather than winning a championship, then that speaks volumes for their organization.

After the Flame/Oilers game Brian Burke says it's not over because Tchuck was fighting out of his weight class. The guy sounds like a flames homer all the time, also who do they have that can beat him, Zac Rinaldo? LOL, i'm sure he's shaking in his boots. Maybe Hamonic would like another broken jaw. Burke wants retribution for Jr after he started the incident? Remember the guy that ended Andrew Alberts career. What was the weight difference between him and the rest of the league? Rick Rypein didn't need weight class rules.

Edited by Timbermen

2 hours ago, Timbermen said:

After the Flame/Oilers game Brian Burke says it's not over because Tchuck was fighting out of his weight class. The guy sounds like a flames homer all the time, also who do they have that can beat him, Zac Rinaldo? LOL, i'm sure he's shaking in his boots. Maybe Hamonic would like another broken jaw. Burke wants retribution for Jr after he started the incident? Remember the guy that ended Andrew Alberts career. What was the weight difference between him and the rest of the league? Rick Rypein didn't need weight class rules.

If Chucky wants to swim with the big fish...

Maybe he should hit someone his own size.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

:huh:

Kass is his size. 

Then I guess Burke is an idiot for saying MT is out of ZK's weight class.  Agree, they are pretty close in size, but it hardly looked it in the last two games.  Maybe it's the weasel factor.

• Upvote 1

Carolina just cut their deficit in half.  Vegas is up 2-1 midway through 2nd period.  

Carolina's D-men are so so good.  We will have a tough game against them soon.  

We just need Vegas and Arizona to keep on sputtering for another 10 games, and I think we'll have ourselves a guaranteed playoff spot.  

22 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Carolina just cut their deficit in half.  Vegas is up 2-1 midway through 2nd period.  

Carolina's D-men are so so good.  We will have a tough game against them soon.  

We just need Vegas and Arizona to keep on sputtering for another 10 games, and I think we'll have ourselves a guaranteed playoff spot.  

Vegas doesn't have an easy schedule the entire rest of the year.......check out their february, first 3 weeks are brutal.

5 minutes ago, Toyotasfan said:

Apparently Marchand after receiving a big hit from Ehlers , fought Ehlers than flexes his muscle on the way to the penalty box.

https://mobile.twitter.com/mkmolnar/status/1223429737181335554

Typical Marchand hissy-fit.

LOL the video is titled Marchand & Ehlers drop the gloves but I don't see Ehlers gloves on the ice...

• Upvote 1