The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Van 20-21 Roster, Poll what you think Virtanen, Gaud, Stecher and Markstrom are worth

Rate this topic

Arrow 1983

RFA UFA player worth to you  

176 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I was just wondering what your next years roster would look like and how much would you pay Gaud, Virtanen and if you where going to keep Markstrom.

Just a few rules,

1)Build a roster for next year

2) keep it cap compliant and use the current cap ceiling for 2019-2020 (I highly recommend you use capfriendly for this)

3) Try to be realistic about Money and term.

4) State what term you would have for each player (1 year 2 year so on so forth)

4b) the term can not span more then 1 year (allowed example (1-2) (2-3) not allowed example (1-3) (4-7)

5) you can sign any UFA for next season but stay away from trades and offer sheets 

6) state your remaining cap space ( this is on the top right of the page of your roster on capfriendly)

7) for those that don't know already any buried contract, Loungo's re-capture penalty and any buyouts are already factored into Capfriendly equation. so just build your roster and state the cap space

8) Vote in the poll

Here is my roster for next year

Forwards

Miller 5.250  Petey 0.925  Boeser 5.875

Pearson 3.750 Horvat 5.500 Eriksson 6.000

Roussel 3.000 Gaud (RFA  2-3 year term @ 1.900)  Virtanen (RFA 2-3 year term @ 2.750)

Ferland 3.500 Beagle 3.000 Sutter 4.375

Defence 

Edler 6.000 Myers 6.000

Hughes 0.917 Tanev ( UFA 3 year term @ 5.000)

Benn 2.00  Rafferty 0.700

Juolevi 0.863

Goalie

Demko  1.050

Cory Crawford (UFA 2 year term @ 3.500)

Roster size 21  Ceiling (81.5 million) Cap Hit (78,213,205)  Cap space (3,286,795) 

Edited by Arrow 1983
  • Wat 1

I would let Markstrom and Stecher walk on July 1st,

Yes it would be nice to trade them at the deadline for assets, but I would like to keep them around for the playoff run. I believe they are worth more to the young players to have that chance at the playoffs then what ever assets Benning could Garner for them. Playoff experience for guys like Horvat, Hughes, Boeser and Petey out weigh IMO the assets that could be gained.

Hard to vote in the poll without context. There's far more to a contract than dollars. You have signing bonuses, various no-trade and no-movement clauses, and, of course, contract length. 

We can of course state the term as a comment below, but because they're not included in the poll itself, it weakens the value of the results of the poll because it's not weighing one single factor.

• Upvote 2

I think losing Stecher is not a massive step back from his replacement options

Losing Tanev is a large step back, but with his injury history, I think we have to trade or walk away

Losing Markstrom is the biggest question mark because we don't have a large enough NHL sample size for Demko. And look how many years it took Markstrom to find his mojo. I'd keep him and let the expansion draft play out as it will. If we lose one, that sucks, but letting Markstrom walk guarantees we won't have both.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Hard to vote in the poll without context. There's far more to a contract than dollars. You have signing bonuses, various no-trade and no-movement clauses, and, of course, contract length. 

We can of course state the term as a comment below, but because they're not included in the poll itself, it weakens the value of the results of the poll because it's not weighing one single factor.

I agree completely, however doing a poll of term and money would mean 16 plus choices.

Some would want 6mill @ 3-4 years or 6 mill at 5-7 years or 6 mill at 4-5 years for Markstrom and this would be the same at 5 or 5.5 million

The choices would become exponential 

So I had to choose 1 or the other and the money is the greater factor IMO even though term could make it a terrible contract just as easy. 

So I kind of did expect people chose their pick in money and say what term in the post preferably in their roster

Edited by Arrow 1983

Just now, Arrow 1983 said:

I agree completely, however doing a poll of term and money would mean 16 plus choices.

Some would want 6mill @ 3-4 years or 6 mill at 5-7 years or 6 mill at 4-5 years for Markstrom and this would be the same at 5 or 5.5 million

The choices would become exponential 

So I had to choose 1 or the other and the money is the greater factor IMO even though term could make it a terrible contract just as easy. 

So I kind of did expect people chose their pick in money and say what term in the post preferably in their roster

Fair points I suppose.

Comments on the actual topic:

I think Stecher is almost certainly gone, as is Fantenberg this summer. Both guys are probably replaceable by Rafferty or Juolevi next year, and we still have Benn as depth as well.

I'd probably like to keep Tanev, but I'd understand it if we ended up moving on from him for cap reasons. That said, if we lose Tanev, we must have a replacement and unless Rafferty or Juolevi are Hughes 2.0 (spoiler alert--they're not), we'll need to sign or trade for a replacement. Tryamkin is no better than Rafferty or Juolevi probably and definitely has a much lower ceiling. Virtanen and Gaudette are important to hold on to IMO.

I could live with going with Demko and letting Marky go, but my preference is to prioritize keeping Markstrom. He's proven he's a solid starting goaltender and although I think Demko has an extremely high ceiling there are two points to consider:

1. He hasn't hit that ceiling and isn't yet a sure thing

2. Dipietro, while maybe not as highly touted as Demko, still does look like a future NHL goaltender, at least at a backup level, if not a fringe starter.

I'd imagine Tanev's number would be around $5M - 5.25M (just covering salary cap inflation from his last deal). I'd imagine he'll get mid-term deal (2-4 years I'd guess). Markstrom is probably looking at the high end of $5M--probably around $5.75M to $6M as it stands right now and I could see his deal being a longer one (as much as 6 years maybe).

I think the biggest issues regarding our cap will be Virtanen and Gaudette, especially if we sign either to long-term deals. Gaudette will almost 100% be signed to a bridge deal, so I'd expect no more than $2.5M per year for 1 or 2 years. Virtanen could vary more wildly. He's already had one (or two, I can't remember) bridge deals, so he may want a longer term deal. He's also shown a very steady improvement, which suggests that this may not be that much of a flash in the pan. I think if Virtanen does another 2-year bridge deal, he'll be looking at around $2.5-3M per year, but if we settle on a longer term deal (4-6 years), we're probably looking at numbers starting at $3.5M and pushing to $4M. For cap reasons, I expect JB to push for another bridge deal with Jake.

Markstrom - 4 years at 5.85 mill is my guess on the contract. Price and term works, fair deal for both sides IMO. If Marky doesn't like it and really wants to cash in he could probably get 6 million on a 5 year deal maybe. Not much difference. He has a chance to win here and I think he will realize that and agree to terms with the team that saved his career and invested so much in him. He's 30 and plenty of higher profile goalies in the UFA market this year which hurts him.

Tanev - I'd let Tanev walk... Can't pay 5 mill for a player who isn't a difference maker. 30 now, injury prone and subpar offensive abilities. Spending on a player like Tanev is how you ruin your team cap wise. Tryamkin, now 26 is in the prime of his career, not injury prone and has a strong defensive game, can easily replace Tanev at half the price. Saving an extra 2.5 million when there is no drop off between players goes along way. That becomes the difference whether you can sign a guy like Virtanen or not. 

Virtanen - I'd go 2 years at 2.65 mill for Jake. A steady raise from his current 1.25 million contract, but not breaking open the bank and giving him 3.5 million based on one good season. Jake will have to go out again and prove he is worth a a big extension going into his prime. Should he break out and become a 50PT player, no one here would complain paying him as he has earned it. 

Gaudette - Should come in around 1.65 - 1.85 million on a 2 year deal. Has played pretty well for his first year in the league. Needs to get stronger and work on face-offs as well as work on his defensive zone play. Has a bright future and after watching him play out his 2 year contract, Jimbo should have a good idea of what Gaudette will be long term.

Stecher - I'd let him walk. Much like Hutton isn't worth 3.5-4 million. No one here questions Stecher's competitiveness but much like Tanev, can't afford to pay a hefty price tag to someone who isn't a core player or a difference maker. Can replace Stecher from within with a guy like Rafferty and again the drop off isn't much if there even is one. 

My 2020-2021 Lineup 

Miller-Pettersson-Virtanen

Pearson-Horvat-Boeser

Ferland-Gaudette-Leivo (resign 1 year 2 mill)

Roussel-Beagle-Motte 

Edler-Myers

Hughes - Barrie (6 year 6.5 mill)

Tryamkin( 2 years 2.2 million) -Rafferty 

Marky 

Demko 

Depth 

Fantenberg (1x1 mill)

Juolevi

Lind

Hoglander

Trades

Eriksson - Trade Loui along with a 3rd rounder and a prospect ( Gadjovich type level?)  to a team willing to take his contract. Only 2 years left and little money owed, I'm sure you can get a deal done. Price might hurt to give up a prospect/pick, but sometimes you have to correct your mistake and move on. This allows you to sign Tyson Barrie. I look at it as getting Barrie for a 3rd+ Gadjovich . I'd pay that all day. Remember Edler's contract would be up same time Petey and Hughes new contracts kick in and would be replaced with Juolevi. So Cap wise we would be okay still. 

Sutter - Often injured but when in the lineup he finds ways to help you win hockey games. This is a player with value. Not huge value due to contract and injuries but definitely a tradable contract. Take what you can get and move on. Objective would be not to take back salary. A pick or prospect would be good. 

Baertschi - One year left after this on his deal I believe a team would take a flyer on him. My guess if you attached a 4th rounder with him a team would take the whole contract. Again, justifying an error is okay. Cap is key and JB will have learned from this.

Benn - Hasn't worked out. Ship back to MTL. Take anything like a 6th or 7th rounder

OUT

Tanev 

Stecher

Eriksson

Sutter

Baertschi 

Schaller

Benn

Total roughly 24 million 

IN/RETAINED

Markstrom

Virtanen

Gaudette

Leivo 

Tryamkin

Barrie

Rafferty 

Fantenberg

Total Roughly 22.5

I think that Stecher is as good as gone unless he takes a club friendly deal.  Tanev is in the same boat.  It is his big contract time to boot, so I don't think he is going to risk a 1 year deal or a club friendly 1 either.  

Teams are going to be able to offer far more that are closer to winning than we are.  Tanev has a long history here, he may want to stay and be like Elder.  

With Stecher it's a numbers game.  He won't supplant Tanev or Myers in the lineup.  He likely won't be beating out Tryamkin once the big guy gets adjusted.  So if we mose Tanev, maybe we keep Stecher.  

I see no way to keep both and womt be surprised to see both go.  

Marky is the no brainer signing that has to get done.  

Jake and Gaudette are both getting deals.  With Jake, 4 m for 4 or 5 years. Term will be the issue.  IDK if the club will want term, but I see his play as a result of years of hard work.  I don't think he will be forgetting that.  

He goals per 60 is and has been good.  Given his improved minutes etc... his production has gone up in a predictable fashion. 

He keeps this up into the playoffs and beyond.... he is going to get paid.  I just hope he doesn't do anything dumb like holding out for big dollars.  

Gaudette is easy.  

With Tryamkin in the fold... finger crossed, then we have 4 NHL roster players that play the right side without Tanev and Stecher.  

The farm is producing some legit players and cheaper by a mile.  The only question is can one guy out of the entire org take over second pairing RHD minutes.  We definitely have the bodies to cover the 3rd pairing RHD.  

We can only afford what Tanev is currently getting paid.  Stecher isn't able to be a sustained 2nd pairing guy IMO, Tryamkin is an enigma.  

If anything, keep Stech, add Tryamkin and lose Tanev.  Roughly the same salary structure and cost vs cap as this season for the minutes played.  Stech is a expansion offering for next year.  Stecher would be decent insurance for the Tryamkin experiment.

Tanev will earn more than 5 m for 5 or 6 years on his next deal. With the FA premium, he could be closer to 5.5m   we cannot afford that.  

What would TO pay to bring in a local defensive wizard that grew up playing with Tavares.  What would Pits pay him?  Etc... 

Edited by Phat Fingers
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Outsiders said:

Markstrom - 4 years at 5.85 mill is my guess on the contract. Price and term works, fair deal for both sides IMO. If Marky doesn't like it and really wants to cash in he could probably get 6 million on a 5 year deal maybe. Not much difference. He has a chance to win here and I think he will realize that and agree to terms with the team that saved his career and invested so much in him. He's 30 and plenty of higher profile goalies in the UFA market this year which hurts him.

Tanev - I'd let Tanev walk... Can't pay 5 mill for a player who isn't a difference maker. 30 now, injury prone and subpar offensive abilities. Spending on a player like Tanev is how you ruin your team cap wise. Tryamkin, now 26 is in the prime of his career, not injury prone and has a strong defensive game, can easily replace Tanev at half the price. Saving an extra 2.5 million when there is no drop off between players goes along way. That becomes the difference whether you can sign a guy like Virtanen or not. 

Virtanen - I'd go 2 years at 2.65 mill for Jake. A steady raise from his current 1.25 million contract, but not breaking open the bank and giving him 3.5 million based on one good season. Jake will have to go out again and prove he is worth a a big extension going into his prime. Should he break out and become a 50PT player, no one here would complain paying him as he has earned it. 

Gaudette - Should come in around 1.65 - 1.85 million on a 2 year deal. Has played pretty well for his first year in the league. Needs to get stronger and work on face-offs as well as work on his defensive zone play. Has a bright future and after watching him play out his 2 year contract, Jimbo should have a good idea of what Gaudette will be long term.

Stecher - I'd let him walk. Much like Hutton isn't worth 3.5-4 million. No one here questions Stecher's competitiveness but much like Tanev, can't afford to pay a hefty price tag to someone who isn't a core player or a difference maker. Can replace Stecher from within with a guy like Rafferty and again the drop off isn't much if there even is one. 

My 2020-2021 Lineup 

Miller-Pettersson-Virtanen

Pearson-Horvat-Boeser

Ferland-Gaudette-Leivo (resign 1 year 2 mill)

Roussel-Beagle-Motte 

Edler-Myers

Hughes - Barrie (6 year 6.5 mill)

Tryamkin( 2 years 2.2 million) -Rafferty 

Marky 

Demko 

Depth 

Fantenberg (1x1 mill)

Juolevi

Lind

Hoglander

Trades

Eriksson - Trade Loui along with a 3rd rounder and a prospect ( Gadjovich type level?)  to a team willing to take his contract. Only 2 years left and little money owed, I'm sure you can get a deal done. Price might hurt to give up a prospect/pick, but sometimes you have to correct your mistake and move on. This allows you to sign Tyson Barrie. I look at it as getting Barrie for a 3rd+ Gadjovich . I'd pay that all day. Remember Edler's contract would be up same time Petey and Hughes new contracts kick in and would be replaced with Juolevi. So Cap wise we would be okay still. 

Sutter - Often injured but when in the lineup he finds ways to help you win hockey games. This is a player with value. Not huge value due to contract and injuries but definitely a tradable contract. Take what you can get and move on. Objective would be not to take back salary. A pick or prospect would be good. 

Baertschi - One year left after this on his deal I believe a team would take a flyer on him. My guess if you attached a 4th rounder with him a team would take the whole contract. Again, justifying an error is okay. Cap is key and JB will have learned from this.

Benn - Hasn't worked out. Ship back to MTL. Take anything like a 6th or 7th rounder

OUT

Tanev 

Stecher

Eriksson

Sutter

Baertschi 

Schaller

Benn

Total roughly 24 million 

IN/RETAINED

Markstrom

Virtanen

Gaudette

Leivo 

Tryamkin

Barrie

Rafferty 

Fantenberg

Total Roughly 22.5

Tryamkin isn't signing here for less than 3m per year.  Likely closer to the Sbisa contract way back when with an average of 4m for 4 to 5 years.  Cap increases when we can afford it.  

Benn has done okay as a cheap vet bottom pairing guy.  2m and expires next year.  Easy keep.  

Baer is gone.  He will not be on our payroll next year.  Agreed.  

Can't afford Tanev, agreed. 

With Tanev likely gone, keeping Stecher, if he is reasonable, unlike Hutton, for 2.5 to 2.75 for 3 is okay.  Easy to move and he does earn that deal.  If he wants 3 or more... bye.  

Schaller is gone... hello Mac.  

Beagle expires at the end of this season, Rousell and Sutter too.  All replacements can be from within the org.  Millions saved.  Those players are either great playoff depth next year or trade bait for contenders.  

Heck, even Edler is expiring next year.  

A couple of things.   Our R side doesn't have much depth - and not sure how JB plans to deal with it.  Have suggested that we give Rafferty some game just to see where he's - could go a long way in determining what to do.

Same with come May and getting on with Tryamkin and whether or not he's coming back.  If both of these seem like non-starters a roster spot next season then I'd see about re-signing both Stetcher and Tanev to modest raises and 3-4 year deals.    I've seen some suggesting that Tanev could get a longer deal - it's possible I supposed but doesn't seem likely given his injuries. 

Also the poll says "what would you sign them for" with the exception of Markstrom which says what do you think he's worth... did it for what I'd sign him for.   

Only Holtby and Lehner might also be available too...Markstrom has made me a believer and would prioritize the other signings on him...

5 hours ago, Outsiders said:

Trades

Tanev might end up walking... but not because he isn't valuable. This teams chance of making the playoffs goes down considerably if he's not eating minutes 5 on 5 and on the PK. He's also on pace for about 25 points so I'm not sure where the 'sub par' offence thing comes from for a guy with his set of tasks on the team.

If we could have traded Loui for that it would have happened. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Drakrami said:

Gaudette on pace for 44 pts/ Virtanen 47 pts. Takes contracts that are less than Beagle, why? Virtanen already completed a "show me" contract and Gaudette is pretty old for where he is in his career. 

leverage. Gaudette has none. 

• Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Its incredible how much fans undervalue Tanev. When he's healthy, we are a far better team defensively. Its not all about goal scoring, his blocking shots and suppressing chances are a massive part of our success this year. He's having a generally healthy season, if he wasn't we'd be struggling more.

But I hear that the two replacements we have for him are a guy with 2 NHL games and another with 79 games that hasn't played an NHL game in 3 years and isn't exactly lighting the world on fire in a weaker league overseas. /s

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1