The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] St. Louis Blues at Vancouver Canucks | Jan. 27, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

10 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Is he really though? Brock has looked less and less like a sniper with each passing year. He is definitely a more complete player now than he was and has improved his passing and offensive awareness but I am starting to let go of Boeser being a sniper. I haven't seen Brock pick a corner this year and maybe only a handful last year. His rookie year he was flat out beating goalies with his shot. This year his goals have been a lot of tip ins, rebounds and set ups from EP/JT around the net. I don't mean that as a negative either, it takes skill to get those goals. However,  I do think that if Benning had ended up inking Brock to the 7x7 that was rumoured, there would be more angst about Boeser's long term out put. Overall I think he is earning his current contract which is all you ask. It will be interesting to see what he develops into.

I agree with most of what you said, I trimmed the post for space.

Exactly why I was concerned about a long, expensive contract for a pretty one dimensional player.  I still think he's a prime candidate to be moved.

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 2

17 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Is he really though? Brock has looked less and less like a sniper with each passing year. He is definitely a more complete player now than he was and has improved his passing and offensive awareness but I am starting to let go of Boeser being a sniper. I haven't seen Brock pick a corner this year and maybe only a handful last year. His rookie year he was flat out beating goalies with his shot. This year his goals have been a lot of tip ins, rebounds and set ups from EP/JT around the net. I don't mean that as a negative either, it takes skill to get those goals. However,  I do think that if Benning had ended up inking Brock to the 7x7 that was rumoured, there would be more angst about Boeser's long term out put. Overall I think he is earning his current contract which is all you ask. It will be interesting to see what he develops into.

I know that everyone will disagree with me, but just as you all have a right to post so do I. Boeser played fine on the 1st line, and at one point that line was number one in the nhl for points. Boeser was a part of that, who do you think Boeser passed to give JT and Petey the goals they got, along with getting the goals he got from them. he never got the 43 points not working hard. I realize you all love Jake and that is good, he is playing well. but at the expense of Boeser. Jake played well with Gaudette  and Rousell  he alone made that line work. Gaudette  is horrible on the face-offs and he likes to not use his wingers. that is just how I see it. To me Green is not doing Boeser who is not a whiner but a very humble guy any favours.  if he wants to keep him on the third line, at least give him better players to play with.  

• Cheers 2

10 hours ago, Petey_BOI said:

ewww,gross. boeser is no way a shut down player, and sutter is no way a scoring centre. but thanks for playing

Balance....

Sutter as a centre on the third line if they wanna have a face off winning centre on the third line. 

Edited by spook007

19 minutes ago, stawns said:

Exactly why I was concerned about a long, expensive contract for a pretty one dimensional player.  I still think he's a prime candidate to be moved.

Yep, and some think it's blasphemy to say as much.

I won't be surprised to see the Dumba thing happen, personally.

I keep hearing about "statement" games and this one truly was that. We have had trouble with bigger teams in the past who play a heavy, hard fought game. St. Louis brought that last night and they were giving full effort. Although we got hemmed in our own zone a few times, the rest of the time we were able to get out of our own zone efficiently and go on the attack. The lines are much more balanced especially with LE on Bo's line and Jake on Petey's. Those lines had trouble along the boards and in the D zone earlier in the year. Not so much now.

With the current injuries, we cannot field the optimal 3rd and 4th lines. Ferlund and Leivo would do wonders for our bottom six. 

This is where we have weaknesses as others have noted. 

Going back to this "statement" game, we have the ability to withstand a team who comes at us with that type of attack. We can play with the speed and skill teams(i.e.Edmonton), the rough and tough(i.e.San Jose) and the heavy, hard working teams(i.e.St Louis). 

I was a bit critical of TG earlier in the year but he has surprised and got his team to buy in to his plans. Kudos for him. The effort is there and the pieces are coming together. 

The next step in the process is to have our guys see how they fair against teams in the playoffs. This team is moving along nicely and I have never been so excited about the "Entire Team" since 94'. We have had some great pieces over the years but failed to put it all together. Good times are ahead. ::D

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

1 minute ago, spook007 said:

Its about balance....

Sutter as a centre on the third line is to have a face off winning centre on the third line. 
And since when have we become a team with just one scoring line?

Sutter can play the wing, and take faceoffs on the 3rd, they apparently really like Gaud at center.

Same situation as the 1st, as a winger (Miller) takes almost all of the faceoffs.

Also I read that Gaud has basically only ever played center, so to move him to the wing opens up uncertainty

(^Benning said this in preseason, when asked if Gaud will be moved to the wing to find a spot for him)

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, xereau said:

Sutter can play the wing, and take faceoffs on the 3rd, they apparently really like Gaud at center.

Same situation as the 1st, as a winger (Miller) takes almost all of the faceoffs.

Also I read that Gaud has basically only ever played center, so to move him to the wing opens up uncertainty

(^Benning said this in preseason, when asked if Gaud will be moved to the wing to find a spot for him)

You’re right Benning did say that, and Gaudette will probably stay at centre, but if he does Sutter has to be moved to his line to help him with face off duties. Maybe if Sutter goes there Boeser can stay On the 3rd line, but feel he needs to be in one of the top 2 lines to be utilised properly. 

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Boeser was getting points, but wasn't all that effective on peteys line, imo.  They play too much on the perimeter........Jake adds much more than just points.

It's great that LE is playing well, as I knew he could if given the mins.  However, I think, at some point Boes has to slide into that spot 

I guess Green could be trying to improve BB's defensive game. Thats the piece that Loui brings to Bo's line along with some decent playmaking sense. Maybe thats what Green is trying to do here. But man that line is going to go through some painful moments on the road. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I keep hearing about "statement" games and this one truly was that. We have had trouble with bigger teams in the past who play a heavy, hard fought game. St. Louis brought that last night and they were giving full effort. Although we got hemmed in our own zone a few times, the rest of the time we were able to get out of our own zone efficiently and go on the attack. The lines are much more balanced especially with LE on Bo's line and Jake on Petey's. Those lines had trouble along the boards and in the D zone earlier in the year. Not so much now.

With the current injuries, we cannot field the optimal 3rd and 4th lines. Ferlund and Leivo would do wonders for our bottom six. 

This is where we have weaknesses as others have noted. 

Going back to this "statement" game, we have the ability to withstand a team who comes at us with that type of attack. We can play with the speed and skill teams(i.e.Edmonton), the rough and tough(i.e.San Jose) and the heavy, hard working teams(i.e.St Louis). 

I was a bit critical of TG earlier in the year but he has surprised and got his team to buy in to his plans. Kudos for him. The effort is there and the pieces are coming together. 

The next step in the process is to have our guys see how they fair against teams in the playoffs. This team is moving along nicely and I have never been so excited about the "Entire Team" since 94'. We have had some great pieces over the years but failed to put it all together. Good times are ahead. ::D

Yeah, that was big-boy hockey last night.  Sure they were putting the pressure on and playing heavy, but we mostly kept them to the outside and pushed back physically against them pretty well.  When we finish our chances, which is most of the time now, and play like this, we're going to be very tough to beat.  This team is learning how to win.  Since getting blown out in Florida, the guys have really tightened up and recommitted.  Great time to be a fan of this team.

• Cheers 3

I actually think Sutter centering the 3rd line would be better. Gaudette has gone back into a funk lately which is not surprising as he is a young player. Boes and Roussel should be playing better and it may be because of Gaudette's slump. 

Maybe TG is waiting for guys to come back from injury but I really think Sutter is a better fit for Boes right now. 

Sutter is better at face offs, can pass on experience to Boes as he did Jake and provided a little more offense to that 3rd line. 

As it is a year of developing the young guys, why not shift around the lines to see what works and what doesn't, and I am not talking about the shuffle which sometimes occurs in the third period of some games either. ::D

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I guess Green could be trying to improve BB's defensive game. Thats the piece that Loui brings to Bo's line along with some decent playmaking sense. Maybe thats what Green is trying to do here. But man that line is going to go through some painful moments on the road. 

Agreed on all points.  

It'll be interesting to watch shake out, especially if Ferland and Leivo come back before the TDL..........at least two pretty good players are going to be on the outside looking in.  Helluva problem to have.

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Yeah, that was big-boy hockey last night.  Sure they were putting the pressure on and playing heavy, but we mostly kept them to the outside and pushed back physically against them pretty well.  When we finish our chances, which is most of the time now, and play like this, we're going to be very tough to beat.  This team is learning how to win.  Since getting blown out in Florida, the guys have really tightened up and recommitted.  Great time to be a fan of this team.

For a 2-1 game, where StL had a lot of zone time, I never really felt like they were dangerous for long stretches (outside of a cpl good chances).  That was one of the more solid, smart games they've played in the collapsing zone defensive style.  They had a good balance with keeping them to the perimeter and being aggressive on StL mistakes.

I still think they're a top 4 dman away from being truly dangerous.

• Upvote 2

Just now, stawns said:

Agreed on all points.  

It'll be interesting to watch shake out, especially if Ferland and Leivo come back before the TDL..........at least two pretty good players are going to be on the outside looking in.  Helluva problem to have.

you have to think Benning has some sort of trade in the works, even if Schaller is on waivers (which I think is very likely now that Loui's alive again).

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

Agreed on all points.  

Very true. I am hoping we could eventually have Sutter, Beagle and Gaudette share the 3rd and 4th line center duties. Have each of them sit out a spell to keep Beagle and Sutter fresh and to have Gaudette continue with his development. You are right, a "helluva problem to have". ::D

Still don't get the Brock hate. He's bumped down the lineup because we've been winning lately with Jake & Loui playing literally the best they ever have as Canucks.

If the Canucks lose 2-3 games in a row b/c they struggle to score Brock will be back in the top 6. 

He probably doesn't fit on the third line, but he doesn't hurt that line. He's proven to have chemistry with both Bo & Petey in the past. We all know Loui is just a stopgap

Let's say Jake is here to stay, then you could have:

Miller - Petey - Jake

Pearson - Bo - Boeser

Looks good to me. Brock's become a much better 200ft player the last year, he can play with that line. Then:

Roussel - Gaudette - ??

Maybe Ferland comes back, or bump Sutter up to the wing. (Or Loui). Could also be the spot for Leivo when he comes back.

• Cheers 3

56 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

I've noticed his shot has regressed as well.  I am hopeful that this is due to his wrist injury and that in time, his shot will return to form.  At his young age, the ability for the body to recover from injury is quite remarkable.

I remember those 7X7 contract rumours, but didn't believe JB was anywhere close to those numbers.  Seemed to be fan/media related.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Still don't get the Brock hate. He's bumped down the lineup because we've been winning lately with Jake & Loui playing literally the best they ever have as Canucks.

If the Canucks lose 2-3 games in a row b/c they struggle to score Brock will be back in the top 6. 

He probably doesn't fit on the third line, but he doesn't hurt that line. He's proven to have chemistry with both Bo & Petey in the past. We all know Loui is just a stopgap

Miller - Petey - Jake

Pearson - Bo - Boeser

Looks good to me. Brock's become a much better 200ft player the last year, he can play with that line. Then:

Roussel - Gaudette - ??

Maybe Ferland comes back, or bump Sutter up to the wing. (Or Loui). Could also be the spot for Leivo when he comes back.

Remember the WCE line? The Sedin's and Burrows Line? In a word ; CHEMISTRY! You might be seeing the next one developing as we speak. ::D

I called this the first time that Jake was put on that line for a short spell. 

I know that the line was pretty good before(with Boes), but somehow I think they improved on that. As crazy as it seems. 

• Cheers 3

2 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Miller - Petey - Jake

Pearson - Bo - Boeser

Roussel - Gaudette - ??

Agreed:  Brock will be off the 3rd line sooner or later.  Jake has been excellent on the 1st but also made the 3rd line jump in ways that Brock hasn't.  I'm wondering if at some point we don't see both of Jake and Brock with Petterson and Miller taking Eriksson's place on the second line if they start losing the momentum they have atm.  Jake seems to be learning a lot from Miller and can do much of what he does, plus.  Having two players like that on different lines would be major.

• Cheers 1