The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Brock Boeser for Timo Meier?

WTF are we talking about?  Boeser is a much better all around offensive player than Meier and costs a bit less.  Boes has had a bit of a bad run, but he is also not playing on the top line.  He would have 3 or 4 more points minimum which puts him way ahead of Meier. 

It seems at times like CDC just loves trades and action more than actually having a great team.

This would be a terrible trade imo.

• Cheers 1

39 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

How many guys produce on their own? why is that the new standard for Brock? I don't really get it. Jakes not producing on this own either. 

Jake isn't making $5.875 million per season. Brock is. Player aside, the dollars dictate the standards.

Brock is producing like Loui did on his own, to the same standard, for roughly the same money. And everybody's been tripping over themselves trying to offload Loui for the last 3 years.

If a player is going to make that kind of $$$ in your ELC+1 contract, that player should be able to contribute some offense to his line - not just simply be a product of his linemates, like every Sedin linemate was. 

1 minute ago, brownky said:

Jake isn't making $5.875 million per season. Brock is. Player aside, the dollars dictate the standards.

Brock is producing like Loui did on his own, to the same standard, for roughly the same money. And everybody's been tripping over themselves trying to offload Loui for the last 3 years.

If a player is going to make that kind of $$$ in your ELC+1 contract, that player should be able to contribute some offense to his line - not just simply be a product of his linemates, like every Sedin linemate was. 

he was  on pace for 30 goals and 70 pts before the move, he was earning it. It wasn't all feasting on assists.

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

he was  on pace for 30 goals and 70 pts before the move, he was earning it. It wasn't all feasting on assists.

Counterpoint: Anson Carter got 30 goals and 55 points "before the move". He wasn't all feasting on assists either.

Looking back, I don't think Anson Carter was the reason the other two players on that line turned out okay.

• Wat 1

14 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

WTF are we talking about?  Boeser is a much better all around offensive player than Meier and costs a bit less.  Boes has had a bit of a bad run, but he is also not playing on the top line.  He would have 3 or 4 more points minimum which puts him way ahead of Meier. 

It seems at times like CDC just loves trades and action more than actually having a great team.

This would be a terrible trade imo.

DeBoer says you can't measure Meier's impact by the scoresheet alone because he does so many things away from the puck that helps the team.  DeBoer says it took him some time but he is the real deal - for him power-forwards take longer as they need to figure out how to combine their physicality with their skills.

Last season he was apparently one of the best play drivers in the league - Sportsnet using SportlogIQ video tracking software was talking of Meier having a bigger impact than Marner.

Meier is having somewhat of a down season and was nearly scratched recently - responded by a hat-trick. He's not showing that same swagger as last season but the whole team looks off.   SJS didn't give Meier a 10M qualifying offer if they didn't think he could become that player.  

Canucks have Podkolzin who Benning compares to Meier. 

Edited by mll
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, brownky said:

Counterpoint: Anson Carter got 30 goals and 55 points "before the move". He wasn't all feasting on assists either.

Looking back, I don't think Anson Carter was the reason the other two players on that line turned out okay.

you're actually comparing Anson Carter to Boeser? I'm moving on. Peace. 

29 minutes ago, Bell said:

If Boeser can drive a third line, this team will be a handful.  It maybe a little tough on his ego, but in the long run it could turn out well for him and the team.  

110% agree.  Petey drives his line.  Bo drives his line.  Bess will drive the third line.  And each gets to drive a convertible during their June Cup Parade down Georgia.  :towel:

2 hours ago, the grinder said:

slow clap for jb on that one  , gm of the year  

Sorry what?

JB didn't sign Timo Meier....Timo Meier has a $10 million Qo over his head in his last year.  Not Boeser.

Mistaken maybe in a rush to gripe or?

• Cheers 1

50 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

you're actually comparing Anson Carter to Boeser? I'm moving on. Peace. 

I'm comparing their circumstances, and illustrating how very high quality linemates can inflate a player to beyond what people initially expect.

But feel free to bail out. While I agree with you often, on this one I feel your faith in this player is a bit too strong, clouding the objectivity somewhat.

8 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Than this is the PERFECT time to produce like he is.  Why?

Cheaper contract extension, better deal for the Canucks

If he were playing like this in his 'contract year' that'd make sense... unfortunately this is the "he just got paid" contract year, so it's quite a bit less helpful.

1 hour ago, brownky said:

I'm comparing their circumstances, and illustrating how very high quality linemates can inflate a player to beyond what people initially expect.

But feel free to bail out. While I agree with you often, on this one I feel your faith in this player is a bit too strong, clouding the objectivity somewhat.

fair enough, didn't mean to get into a snit :lol: 

imo Brocks not only a good player but an even better person. I think if we can keep this young core together they're going to walk through walls for each other in the playoffs in a couple years. 

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

fair enough, didn't mean to get into a snit :lol: 

imo Brocks not only a good player but an even better person. I think if we can keep this young core together they're going to walk through walls for each other in the playoffs in a couple years. 

Jimmy, I would like to believe, we are somewhat of a like mind, when serious, but I have to comment on this " even a better person" comment. I do not pay ridiculous prices to see "better people" ! Sorry Buddy!

"IF" a trade made us better, and I do not think overall this does, than I think we should do it....again, "IF" it makes us better.

I have no over-riding wish to see Brock go...…...but this "even a better person" stuff makes me want to puke. 

In saying all that......you, Jimmy! Make me a better person! :bigblush:

• Haha 1