The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Brock Boeser

HKSR

Ok, clearly Brock Boeser is the whipping boy of the moment for many CDCers.  Rather than having separate conversations in every "Trade Brock Boeser" proposal, why not just discuss the situation here in a common thread.

Personally, even though I played Armchair GM for a moment and had Brock in a proposal, deep down I think it would be a terrible mistake to trade Brock.  Come on people, he's only 22 years old and has 159 career points in 190 career games.  He's pretty much a guaranteed 25+ goals per season and has size as well.

The emergence of Virtanen is the ONLY reason we're even talking about this right now.  All this means is that the Canucks now have more options for the Top 6.  That is what contenders look like.  If Brock gets anything going at all for that 3rd line, can you imagine the offensive threat the Canucks will become?  I, for one, believe that Brock will figure things out and get going on that 3rd line. 

To be honest, I'm really happy with our Top 6 right now.  The top line is clearly effective, and Bo's line with Pearson and LE (still can't believe he's finally being effective) is a fantastic line as well. 

What I actually think needs to happen in order for the Canucks to be a true contender is that we need to find an effective complementary player for the 3rd line to push Roussel into the 4th line.  That's when we'll know the Canucks have the depth of a contender.  It might be as simple as the return of Ferland or Leivo, or maybe even reuniting Baertschi (gasp!) and Gaudette with Brock.

Anyways, I'm pretty confident GMJB isn't as dumb as the rest of us when it comes to building a Stanley Cup contender (I truly believe he was the mastermind behind the Bruins 2011 win).

Brock is exactly what we need in our lineup.  This is contender-level depth:

Miller-EP40-Virtanen

Pearson-Bo-LE

Ferland/Leivo/Baertschi/Other-Gaudette-Boeser

Roussel-Beagle-Sutter (looking at it like this, Sutter probably needs to be moved... too redundant, and way too much money tied up in the 4th line)

• Cheers 3

Ed Willies is a dingus, but his interview with Green here sheds some light on this a little: https://nationalpost.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/ed-willes-boeser-downplays-points-slump-but-expect-some-panic-if-it-continues/wcm/d634e80d-82e9-409f-bd2e-88466d3cb517

Sounds like Green isn't worried and wants Boeser to work on 'a few things.' Doesn't sound like BB is too worried either. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Ed Willies is a dingus, but his interview with Green here sheds some light on this a little: https://nationalpost.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/ed-willes-boeser-downplays-points-slump-but-expect-some-panic-if-it-continues/wcm/d634e80d-82e9-409f-bd2e-88466d3cb517

Sounds like Green isn't worried and wants Boeser to work on 'a few things.' Doesn't sound like BB is too worried either. 

lets face it, all the players need to work on things, yes including Brock, except Green did not mention that Boeser was doing fine on the first line then it changed when he moved him to the 3rd line. him being a coach should be aware whats is happening. Boeser has not had a slump like this since he started on this team. also Boeser is not the type of player to complain,  but I can't think he would be happy

Edited by bree2

4 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

If Green and Boeser are ok with it......

Problem is, many on CDC are:

97C8FA4D-26E7-4F46-9C11-C84CD5000C70.png

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

like I've said a few times, I'd prefer Brock had a more experienced centre to work with, but it is what it is. 

I think he works best with a LHC as well.   I think he is better suited to Horvat than EP40 simply in terms of matched speeds/style.   People seem to forget the great chemistry he had with Bo previously.   I really like, particularly if this team makes the playoffs, of having EP40 between JT and Jake as those are two tough power forward types to appear more than happy to clear room for EP40 and, as required, make sure he doesn't get overmatched.   

IF Vancouver can keep winning, or at least staying in a playoff spot, with Green moving parts around to work on development/chemistry than I really don't have a problem if Brock has to spend some time with a less optimal center.    I am one of the few (it seems) not entirely convinced Gaudette is ready for the role he is currently in.   

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I think he works best with a LHC as well.   I think he is better suited to Horvat than EP40 simply in terms of matched speeds/style.   People seem to forget the great chemistry he had with Bo previously.   I really like, particularly if this team makes the playoffs, of having EP40 between JT and Jake as those are two tough power forward types to appear more than happy to clear room for EP40 and, as required, make sure he doesn't get overmatched.   

IF Vancouver can keep winning, or at least staying in a playoff spot, with Green moving parts around to work on development/chemistry than I really don't have a problem if Brock has to spend some time with a less optimal center.    I am one of the few (it seems) not entirely convinced Gaudette is ready for the role he is currently in.   

seems rushed a bit for sure. 

I think Leivo or Sven would be great fits with Gaudette and Brock.  That would be a great offensive 3rd line, since the 2nd line is the match-up line and the 4th line (now THAT is the line I hope we fix btw) can handle primary and secondary defensive assignments.  Let an offensive 3rd line like that feast on the weaker D pairs.

Agreed also that if we could get Brock going on his own line then this team would be tough to beat, esp. if the defense and goalie hold up.

15 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

I think Leivo or Sven would be great fits with Gaudette and Brock.  That would be a great offensive 3rd line, since the 2nd line is the match-up line and the 4th line (now THAT is the line I hope we fix btw) can handle primary and secondary defensive assignments.  Let an offensive 3rd line like that feast on the weaker D pairs.

Agreed also that if we could get Brock going on his own line then this team would be tough to beat, esp. if the defense and goalie hold up.

While I really like the idea of a Baer style playmaker on the LW of Bo's line and having Brock on the RW is the best combo, Baer is not the guy IMO.  

The club is clearly not showing any signs of Considering Baer atm.  Pearson has been very good too.  Where do we put Pearson?

JB has stated that he doesn't want to make any roster moves that may hurt the great chemistry the team has atm.  

So we keep our cast of misfits and stars, add Tryamkin and head for the post season.  

This group deserves to see the year thru IMO.  

Fringe guys and not yet impact younger guys and futures are the only chips JB could consider, that isn't going to save much salary or make a big impact.  

It would be nice to see Baer get s shot elsewhere.  That could shed a few hundred k off the cap.  

Well you know what, i think brocky has a few issues away from the ice at the moment that is maybe affecting his game,a bit like you know his fathers health, i reckon he will figure it out and will come back stronger than ever. 

• Upvote 1