The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Trial of Rocky Rambo Wei Nam Kam - Video Game Made Me Do It

DonLever

Rocky Rambo Wei Nam Kam killed 2 elderly people, apparently randomly in 2017.   He stabbed and chopped them to death and faces 2 counts of first degree murder.   His defense is using a insanity plea by saying he thought was in a video game.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6475371/marpole-killer-testifies-video-game-defence/

It was a shocking Tuesday in a Vancouver B.C. Supreme Court room, where the man accused of murdering a Marpole couple in 2017 took the stand, and described the killings in detail.

Rocky Rambo Wei Nam Kam has pleaded not guilty to two counts of first degree murder in the brutal slayings of 68-year-old Richard Jones and 64-year-old Dianna Mah-Jones, whose bodies were found in their home near West 64 Avenue and Hudson Street on Sept. 27, 2017.

The accused soft spoken, barely audible, as described how he choked Dianna Mah Jones and stabbed her w a pocket knife. Jones’ husband Richard…”I use hatchet and chopped him on the neck,” Kam told the court

The court also heard the early stages of the defence’s argument, with lawyer Glen Orris telling the court Kam suffered from a mental disorder at the time of the killings and that he thought he was in a video game.

On Tuesday, Kam, whose first language is Cantonese, walked from the prisoner’s box to the witness stand, where he delivered testimony in soft, broken English, with no visible emotion.

Brutal killings

The court heard how Kam was walking down the street the day of the killings when he saw Mah-Jones taking groceries out of her car.

Kam described forcing his way into Mah-Jones’ home with a pocket knife in one hand and a hatchet in the other.

“I cover her mouth … I moved my hand down her throat to try to stop her from screaming, and when that didn’t work I use my other hand on her throat … I just tried to choke her,” Kam told the court.

“After she stopped moving, I pick up my pocket knife … I’m not sure of order … I believe I stabbed her.”

Kam told the court how he then heard a noise from the back of the home and hid behind a set of stairs as Richard Jones entered the kitchen.

“As soon as Mr. Jones walk into kitchen, I stab him … I just keep stabbing him. It goes on for a while … thought in my head, ‘how come he didn’t die?’ When he tried to stand up, I’m not sure if I stab him or push him to floor,” said Kam.
go to living room, pick up hatchet. I use hatchet and chopped him on the neck.”

Kam then described dragging Mah-Jones to the kitchen and tying both victims’ legs to a chair, an action he couldn’t explain.

He then cut them loose and dragged their bodies to the shower stall in the bathroom, Kam testifeid.

Police have testified they later found the couple in the shower with the water running, describing the crime scene as “catastrophic.”

Before leaving the house, Kam stopped back in the kitchen, where he described drinking milk from the fridge and eating a peach, telling the court he felt “thirsty.”

He grabbed $30, a set of keys, a wallet and some bananas before leaving the home, he testified.

Once outside, Kam took the murdered couple’s car and drove home, where he threw his bloody clothes and shoes in the trash after taking a shower, he told the court.

Videogame defence

According to Orris, Kam had become increasingly isolated in the years leading up to the killing — to the point where he was playing video games 12-13 hours a day.

Orris told the court at the time of the slayings Kam believed he was in one of those games.

“Within the game, he attacked and killed Mr. Jones and Mrs. Jones,” Orris told the court.

“He did not appreciate the nature and quality of his acts in a real sense and their consequences.”

Orris said Kam had no prior criminal record or history of violence, and that the evidence shows there was no prior connection between Kam and the victims.

“He’s unable to explain why he did these acts. There does not appear to be logical explanations for what he did in the house … outside of a game,” said Orris.

The court also heard more about Kam’s background, including his early years in Hong Kong where he had trouble in elementary school and developed little in the way of a social life. The court heard Kam began gaming at this time.

Edited by DonLever

ok how did this guy support himself  while playing video games 12 to 14 hours a day ?  his parents  supporting his video game habit and probably gave him a credit card to go buy the murder weapon 2 weeks prior to the murders  , such bs   we need to stop being so soft on these types of cases  even if the guy is mentally unwell  , he should never be allowed out in public again ,   ,

2 hours ago, Qwags said:

Or maybe it's just mental illness. Not video games.

That is what the defence is aiming for; an insanity plea.  In other words  he is suffering a mental illness and cannot be held responsible for his actions.   The defence is claiming Rocky Rambo cannot distinguish between reality and fantasy when playing the video game in question.

4 hours ago, DonLever said:

That is what the defence is aiming for; an insanity plea.  In other words  he is suffering a mental illness and cannot be held responsible for his actions.   The defence is claiming Rocky Rambo cannot distinguish between reality and fantasy when playing the video game in question.

Thats the problem, you shouldn't be able to use that as a cop-out.  A murder is a murder, needs to be black and white rules, none of this "oh he wasn't in reality in his mental state" because if he can't figure our right from wrong he's a problem for the community even when he gets out.  

Yea...BS.....in what video game do you kill random targets, tie them to a chair, then untie them and throw them into the shower and then proceed to drink milk and eat a peach and then what? mission cleared?

Then that was it? and somehow dude was in "reality" again after that? 

But watch our justice system deem him mentally unstable, have him locked up for a few years on tax payers' money, and have him out and roaming around in like 5 years.

JOKE.

Edited by Kakanucks

2 hours ago, riffraff said:

No reason for this to be on this forum.

I posted it because this story has been headline news on local news channels.    CTV, Global, CBC have put in on top of their broadcast lineups last couple of days.  Plus it was big news when the murders occurred in 2017.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, DonLever said:

I posted it because this story has been headline news on local news channels.    CTV, Global, CBC have put in on top of their broadcast lineups last couple of days.  Plus it was big news when the murders occurred in 2017.

Ye I just don’t think the graphic detail needs to be outlined here.

and headlines for local stations because of its shock value.  To me it’s not even news.  But to be fair I don’t pay attention to news much.  When most people ask me, including my wife, “oh did you hear about xyz horrible tragedy?” My answer is no.  I have no Interest in sensationalized tragedy by “news stations”