The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at San Jose Sharks | Jan. 29, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

8 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Hope he doesn't have any concussion concern.  

It looked all shoulder to me. EK had Motte's arm tangled up with a hold and went into the boards high and hard and the shoulder likely popped. Hopefully no surgery needed. 

1 hour ago, EP Phone Home said:

Golden clip from Reddit from our empty net gods! Pearson and Louie must have a Canucks record for most empty netters in a season. Great W against the Sharts. That Marky pad stacker was unreal. Love this !$&#ing team!

According to https://morehockeystats.com/teams/en Canucks  is # 1 in NHL when playing against empty net, so far (knock on wood) no goals allowed. The only one team in NHL.

• Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, reyezone said:

It looked all shoulder to me. EK had Motte's arm tangled up with a hold and went into the boards high and hard and the shoulder likely popped. Hopefully no surgery needed. 

You're right...good take on it.  He did get the elbow up momentarily at one point...but it was more he had his arm tangled up and that, in itself, was dangerous.  EK made no attempt not to follow through with a shove into the boards with a guy who couldn't really brace to avoid it.  Accidentally on purpose.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Glug Datt said:

snapshot of this year vs last year.. 

it might be a weaker division this year, but we're still ahead of last season by a good margin.. 

barring an injury plagued implosion, were making the post season, and it ain't gonna be in a wild card spot 

Screenshot_20200130-072503_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200130-072721_Chrome.jpg

I am not quite ready to declare "playoffs for sure" - this upcoming eastern swing will be but one of their important tests over the next two months....BUT, one thing currently in their favour is the ROW stat of which they lead teams around them (Calgary by 5, Vegas by 4 - the two teams I feel are most threatening) and that is a key stat when ties in standings come about and it would not surprise me to see a few ties among point totals in the Pacific upon end of the season.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Silent Man said:

According to https://morehockeystats.com/teams/en Canucks  is # 1 in NHL when playing against empty net, so far (knock on wood) no goals allowed. The only one team in NHL.

I am pretty sure they gave up a tying goal once when the goalie is pulled in a home game in December against Buffalo. I was at the game and I remember the Sabres scored the tying goal with a min left (empty net) but Canucks won it in OT eventually. I could be wrong as I may see the net empty but the goalie has yet to make it onto their bench thus it is isn’t officially an empty net.

Couldn't watch the game last night, I'm possibly lacking the heat-of-battle-rage, but I just watched the highlights and replay of the Karlson hit. I know this will be an unpopular opinion, but I don't think it was intentional. I'm not even sure it's a penalty.

I mean it just looks like 2 guys going into the boards awkwardly while in a puck battle. And unfortunately Mottes head is extremely low. 

Watch it again:

https://streamable.com/6bw57

• Cheers 1

I hope I'm not the only one who thought that Kassian/Tkachuk tilt was lame. So much hype from the hockey media, they wanted so bad to resurrect the hatred between the Alberta teams, this game turned into "will they or won't they fight" contest. Who cares? It's not like it's Reeves vs Lucic, just two jerks who dislike eachother. I noticed Tkachuk wanted to fight right off a faceoff, but Kassian declined. I guess he wasn't ready, or something. Then, when it did happen, Tkachuk looked like he was going to jump out of his socks trying to get that first punch in. lol. The guy has no balance. Anyway, the hype sure didn't match the fight itself, and the teams even seem to have made up after Tkachuk stepped up. Nothing to see here. Speaking of seeing nothing, was Lucic even playing? 

Good win by the Canucks, keep the win streak going. I still have concern though, that they're giving up way too many shots. SJ should not be able to get 40 against Markstrom.

2 minutes ago, Gassy Jack said:

Couldn't watch the game last night, I'm possibly lacking the heat-of-battle-rage, but I just watched the highlights and replay of the Karlson hit. I know this will be an unpopular opinion, but I don't think it was intentional. I'm not even sure it's a penalty.

I mean it just looks like 2 guys going into the boards awkwardly while in a puck battle. And unfortunately Mottes head is extremely low. 

Watch it again:

https://streamable.com/6bw57

There is no doubt EK knew where Motte’s head was but other than that the hit was inevitable.  The way motte skated in he was putting himself in a dangerous spot with all his momentum going towards the boards. Plus motte connected his own body to EK’s so the overall force of the impact was multiplied.

i love mottes tenacity but sometimes you need to be safer.

9 hours ago, JamesB said:

Comments on tonight.

1. The Canucks were outplayed through two periods. Like some people said in the GDT, it looked like "one of the those games", but the team came back strong in the 3rd and full credit for the win.

2. The shot totals and the Corsi totals favour San Jose by a big margin, but the game was closer than that. San Jose was taking a lot of low probability shots (and shot attempts), especially once they fell behind. In terms of high danger chances, Natural Stat Trick has the Sharks 10 to 9 for the Canucks -- very close. The Canucks had their chances, including three partial breakaways by Pettersson and a couple of posts. Once again, this game could have gone either way, but Marky had a solid game and kept the team close through two periods and he was the probably the key difference. 

3. Hughes was named the first star. He looks great out there, and Green had him taking his full share of minutes against the other team's top players. (The three left D's -- Hughes, Edler and Fantenberg -- each had just over 5 minutes of even strength time against Kane.) After the last game I said that Hughes was maybe taking too many shots from the point. Glad he did not listen to me, as his opening goal on a shot from the point was an excellent play that helped keep the Canucks in the game. Hughes almost never gets beaten on a play that involves skating. He is fast and he always take the right angle. However, he can get trapped in his own end and it is tough for him to win puck battles given his (lack of) size and strength. But another excellent game by Hughes.

4. Once again, Fantenberg had a good game. He actually led the D in even strength Corsi and he shared the LD PK time with Edler. I thought he played very well. 

5. Horvat is probably not getting enough credit in the winning streak. He was 15 and 4 in the faceoff circle and, as always, had the toughest minutes although, like the last game, the tough minutes were divided up more evenly that earlier in the streak.

6. I have not often commented on Beagle, partly because he is usually not particularly bad or particularly good. He has "met expectations" but that is because expectations for a 4th line center are not usually very high. But I have to give him credit tonight. He is fearless in blocking shots and does a good job on the PK. After getting hurt tonight on a shot block he came back and make a great play on the Sutter goal. So credit to Beagle and it is good to Beagle and Sutter finally get on the scoresheet. 

7. Great GWG by Virtanen. He continues his streak and he continues to look like he belongs in the top 6. Green moved him around tonight, putting him with the Horvat line and the EP line.

8. Green changed up the lines a bit, partly because of the Motte injury and partly to get things going after a sub-par showing in the first two periods. After Motte was hurt, Eriksson played with Sutter and Beagle in a lot of tough defensive situations. I was sorry to see Motte hurt and that takes away some energy and physical play. But the defensive capability of the Beagle line is actually better with Eriksson on it and those guys had a strong 3rd period (including getting a goal). 

9. It was also good for Boeser to get some time with Pettersson and Miller in place of Virtanen, as Virtanen took Eriksson's place on the Horvat line. And it was good to see Boeser on the scoresheet again. However, his game still needs to improve. The team needs more from Roussel and Gaudette. Gaudette did get an assist on Virtanen's PP goal, but I think that playing with Roussel and Gaudette has made it hard for Boeser. None of those guys really drives play. 

10. Cannot believe a penalty was not called on Karlsson on the play where Motte was injured. Even though I am sure there was no intent to injure, that is a dangerous play -- guiding the opponent's head into the boards.  But it would not have made sense for Horvat or anyone else to go full goon (or even partial goon) on Karlsson.  Better to come back and win the game. And save the emotion. The Canucks have a long road trip ahead. 

12. Overall, another big win and, with losses to Edmonton, Arizona, and Dallas, the Canucks are solidifying their spot in the standings. 

I very much agree. I would've felt a bit better about the hit of a 2 minute boarding minor was called. Personally wouldn't cry for a suspension, but there always seems to be a lack of consistency from a refereeing standpoint. Good to see the Canucks responding with a win!

• Upvote 1