The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at San Jose Sharks | Jan. 29, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Have just had a look a Tanev’s stats, he’s now up to his third highest point total of his career, another 3 points till he sets a pb. Makes a huge difference to this team when he’s healthy.

Edited by duncnz
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, duncnz said:

Have just had a look a Tanev’s stats, he’s now up to his second highest point total of his career, another 3 points till he sets a pb. Makes a huge difference to this team when he’s healthy.

Tanev currently sits at #70 in defence point production. With an average of 5 seconds of PP time. And is #2 in the league in avg shorthanded time.

And yet, I guarantee you some on CDC will vehemently claim he has no offensive potential. 

https://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/seasons/2019-20-nhl-defensemen-stats.html

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Gassy Jack said:

Couldn't watch the game last night, I'm possibly lacking the heat-of-battle-rage, but I just watched the highlights and replay of the Karlson hit. I know this will be an unpopular opinion, but I don't think it was intentional. I'm not even sure it's a penalty.

I mean it just looks like 2 guys going into the boards awkwardly while in a puck battle. And unfortunately Mottes head is extremely low. 

Watch it again:

https://streamable.com/6bw57

I was thinking non-intentional intentional.  It was the second time in the game (Boeser caught one in an earlier period) of the forearm to the head while against the glass.  The method is less blatant than most head hits, but to have both let go in the game bothered me.

I didnt think EK deserved to be tossed out with a major, but IMO shoulda got 2.

Just hope the injury is to Motte's shoulder and not his head.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, duncnz said:

Have just had a look a Tanev’s stats, he’s now up to his third highest point total of his career, another 3 points till he sets a pb. Makes a huge difference to this team when he’s healthy.

Another huge benefit to Myers being here. He eats ice time that Tanev doesn't necessarily need to eat, meaning fewer ugly hits to absorb on that back wall from a marauding forechecker. Having guys who have the confidence to hold the puck as a d-partner rather than "PUCK IS LAVA!" it back to the other guy in a bad spot, same deal.

Finally, I see fewer stupid shot blocks from clappers from the points and high slot (which account for a lot of shots the goalies seem to be facing). Clear the lane, tie up the sticks and let the goalie see it. Most goalies at the juniors levels are stopping those long ass shots with no screen or deflection, much less NHL goalies. A busy goalie who faces 50 terrible percentage long range slap shots from the points is a happy goalie, vs a goalie facing 20 shots with tips, deflections, back door/cross crease stuff and two-on-ones... because goalie #2 is probably getting scored on a lot.

From my point of view, I'm not a 'good' goalie by any stretch of any imagination. Maybe against Timbits I'd be 75% save percent, if I just laid down across the goal line like a chunk of plywood. But ever since I bought gear and took up goalie as an adult I see way more of what I should do as a defenceman - getting in the way of shots is not a primary thing. I wouldn't even say secondary. The key points of keeping the shots outside, at distance and making sure nobody can do anything with the puck on the shot in, that's way, way, WAY more important. Along with making sure sticks / people in front aren't able to collect any garbage if the puck pops down. Our guys seem to be doing that more now rather than "block it all".

Tanev's injury status seems to be related to those two philosophy changes. Our goalies are relatively busy in save counts, but the players aren't blocking every shot anymore.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

I hope I'm not the only one who thought that Kassian/Tkachuk tilt was lame. So much hype from the hockey media, they wanted so bad to resurrect the hatred between the Alberta teams, this game turned into "will they or won't they fight" contest. Who cares? It's not like it's Reeves vs Lucic, just two jerks who dislike eachother. I noticed Tkachuk wanted to fight right off a faceoff, but Kassian declined. I guess he wasn't ready, or something. Then, when it did happen, Tkachuk looked like he was going to jump out of his socks trying to get that first punch in. lol. The guy has no balance. Anyway, the hype sure didn't match the fight itself, and the teams even seem to have made up after Tkachuk stepped up. Nothing to see here. Speaking of seeing nothing, was Lucic even playing? 

Good win by the Canucks, keep the win streak going. I still have concern though, that they're giving up way too many shots. SJ should not be able to get 40 against Markstrom.

Meh, in recent years, it is always overhyped, and little comes of it. Nice to see Chucky at least drop the gloves, and nice to see him lose the fight.

Be some good karma to have Rinaldo get the instigator on Saturday

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Kragar said:

I was thinking non-intentional intentional.  It was the second time in the game (Boeser caught one in an earlier period) of the forearm to the head while against the glass.  The method is less blatant than most head hits, but to have both let go in the game bothered me.

I didnt think EK deserved to be tossed out with a major, but IMO shoulda got 2.

Just hope the injury is to Motte's shoulder and not his head.

It reminds me of Jake's elbow on Perrault from a couple weeks ago... his non-call high elbowing. It was absolutely a penalty and should have been called at the time, but it also wasn't suspension worthy.

Last night should have been 2 for boarding, though with an unfortunate consequence. I don't think it was necessarily suspendable either though. But last night the refs were garbage anyway, so I'm not surprised they blew the call.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

I think people are overreacting.

2 mins at the most

Hockey is still a physical game FFS

Hope Motte recovers well

that is, in and of itself, and understatement.  Why anyone would be upset about that play is beyond me.

• Cheers 1