The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at San Jose Sharks | Jan. 29, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

18 minutes ago, brownky said:

It reminds me of Jake's elbow on Perrault from a couple weeks ago... his non-call high elbowing. It was absolutely a penalty and should have been called at the time, but it also wasn't suspension worthy.

Last night should have been 2 for boarding, though with an unfortunate consequence. I don't think it was necessarily suspendable either though. But last night the refs were garbage anyway, so I'm not surprised they blew the call.

boarding?  Two guys battling for position is not a penalty......Motte was trying to cut tothe net, EK was trying to stop him.  Nothing more, nothing less.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 3

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

I hope I'm not the only one who thought that Kassian/Tkachuk tilt was lame. So much hype from the hockey media, they wanted so bad to resurrect the hatred between the Alberta teams, this game turned into "will they or won't they fight" contest. Who cares? It's not like it's Reeves vs Lucic, just two jerks who dislike eachother. I noticed Tkachuk wanted to fight right off a faceoff, but Kassian declined. I guess he wasn't ready, or something. Then, when it did happen, Tkachuk looked like he was going to jump out of his socks trying to get that first punch in. lol. The guy has no balance. Anyway, the hype sure didn't match the fight itself, and the teams even seem to have made up after Tkachuk stepped up. Nothing to see here. Speaking of seeing nothing, was Lucic even playing? 

Good win by the Canucks, keep the win streak going. I still have concern though, that they're giving up way too many shots. SJ should not be able to get 40 against Markstrom.

I know it’s “bad” to give up that many shots, but Marky seem to excel in that situation. As long as we get our chances I think it will be fine

2 minutes ago, Dats hockey said:

I know it’s “bad” to give up that many shots, but Marky seem to excel in that situation. As long as we get our chances I think it will be fine

they do give up a lot of shots, but they don't give up a lot of scoring chances.  Earlier in the season they were struggling with the collapse zone defense system they were using, being too passive, not jumping on mistakes and they were giving up a lot of high quality second chances.  They seem to have rectified that now and are pressuring at the right times and clearing out rebounds much better.  

19 minutes ago, stawns said:

boarding?  Two guys battling for position is not a penalty......Motte was trying to cut tothe net, EK was trying to stop him.  Nothing more, nothing less.

If it were 'just' battling I'd agree, but Karlsson looks like was holding Motte's arm and essentially preventing him from moving... which would/could also be holding. Then hitting him by the numbers into the boards would also be boarding.

It's a penalty by the book either way, but 2 minutes only.

Just now, brownky said:

If it were 'just' battling I'd agree, but Karlsson looks like was holding Motte's arm and essentially preventing him from moving... which would/could also be holding. Then hitting him by the numbers into the boards would also be boarding.

It's a penalty by the book either way, but 2 minutes only.

if the positions were switched, and Motte took EK into the boards, not one single person on this board would think that would be a penalty.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

if the positions were switched, and Motte took EK into the boards, not one single person on this board would think that would be a penalty.

That's a ridiculous "argument". Of course it would be a penalty if the positions were reversed, much like Virtanen's Elbow on perrault was a penalty (also non call) where the situations "were" reversed. A penalty is a penalty. Game management sucks and we get the short end more often than we should, but even positions reversed that's 100% always a penalty if you grab a guy and ride him into the boards. The part that sucks is that if the positions were reversed, I bet it DOES get called as a penalty.

Finally, have you seen the proposals board? I wouldn't base a damn thing "of truth" off of what people on this board usually think lol.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, brownky said:

That's a ridiculous "argument". Of course it would be a penalty if the positions were reversed, much like Virtanen's Elbow on perrault was a penalty (also non call) where the situations "were" reversed. A penalty is a penalty. Game management sucks and we get the short end more often than we should, but even positions reversed that's 100% always a penalty if you grab a guy and ride him into the boards. The part that sucks is that if the positions were reversed, I bet it DOES get called as a penalty.

Finally, have you seen the proposals board? I wouldn't base a damn thing "of truth" off of what people on this board usually think lol.

did EK go to the box?  It wasn't a penalty and should not have been a penalty.  As Bert would say, they're not playing tennis.

• Wat 2

Benning’s master plan coming together quite nicely. Build through the draft, compliment the young players with some veterans and continue to add young prospects to the lineup each year. 

Playoffs will happen this year. We may even win a round. Then more young prospects will join the big club over the next 2 years. Once that happens we will be shooting for not only the playoffs but in becoming a true Stanley Cup contender for many years. 

The plan is in place. Looking forward to it’s completion. 

9 minutes ago, stawns said:

did EK go to the box?  It wasn't a penalty and should not have been a penalty.  As Bert would say, they're not playing tennis.

It's also not 1972 anymore, you can't just come out and break a guys' ankle with your stick because you feel like it. Too many people really need to realize that.

Part one, correct, Karlsson did not go to the box. It was a missed a penalty call, and should have been a penalty.

Also correct, it isn't tennis. It's hockey, and fortunately there are rules in hockey which indicate what a penalty is or is not. Today's rules can be found here.

For your benefit, I'll highlight the key section:

54.1 Holding

Any action by a player that restrains or impedes the progress of an opposing player whether or not he is in possession of the puck.

54.2 Minor Penalty -

A minor penalty shall be imposed on a player who holds an opponent by using his hands, arms or legs

I dunno, might not be a penalty in tennis but it sure sounds like a penalty in hockey.

In case the holding wasn't a good case there (which after viewing again would probably have been the more correct call), here's boarding:

41.1 Boarding

A boarding penalty shall be imposed on any player who checks or pushes a defenseless opponent in such a manner that causes the opponent to hit or impact the boards violently or dangerously. The severity of the penalty, based upon the impact with the boards, shall be at the discretion of the Referee.

Not my rules, not Tennis' rules, these are the rules provided by the NHL for the 2020 season. If you're still using the rulebook from 1977, you should probably update.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I am not quite ready to declare "playoffs for sure" - this upcoming eastern swing will be but one of their important tests over the next two months....BUT, one thing currently in their favour is the ROW stat of which they lead teams around them (Calgary by 5, Vegas by 4 - the two teams I feel are most threatening) and that is a key stat when ties in standings come about and it would not surprise me to see a few ties among point totals in the Pacific upon end of the season.

I'm planning the parade, Rob's raining on it.. lol.. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dats hockey said:

I don't know if it is still true, but earlier in the season the Kings had the most shots per game.  Along with the largest positive shot differential.

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

clearly his elbow rides Motte's head into the boards - no last second changes in Motte's body position - Karlsson fully aware - and then gives the guilty glance at the zebra to see if he was going to the box.

pretty safe risk to take though, in the midst of an O"Halloran/L'Ecuyer gong-show

I saw Karlsson with that look too. He knew what he was doing. I think the look he gave to the refs was more of a "remember what Wilson put in your palm pre-game" look. I hope the next time these teams meet, someone lays Erik the asspirate out.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Gaudette Celly said:

Consider though, while it was 1:1 in the second Petey had two breakaways, and normally he would score on at least on of them.  Jones made his share of decent saves as well.

The boys skated uphill most of the game.    They are better than they showed.

5 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I am not quite ready to declare "playoffs for sure" - this upcoming eastern swing will be but one of their important tests over the next two months....BUT, one thing currently in their favour is the ROW stat of which they lead teams around them (Calgary by 5, Vegas by 4 - the two teams I feel are most threatening) and that is a key stat when ties in standings come about and it would not surprise me to see a few ties among point totals in the Pacific upon end of the season.

For some reason I see a lot of teams in the next few months playing 'not to lose' instead of 'playing every game to win'.  Sounds weird, but with the standings so incredibly tight, there's going to be a lot of teams trying to get to OT so they can get out of that road game with at least a point. Once you're in OT - it's a crapshoot from there.  Come the last 2-3 weeks of the season, the teams still in it will intensify their games and by the last week or so of the regular season we should essentially already be watching playoff hockey for the teams on the bubble whereas the teams with locked-up playoff spots will be jostling for home-ice and likely resting key guys and giving call-ups some valuable games before the playoffs begin. 

But it's just a theory:). 

• Cheers 1