The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tanev for Barrie [PROPOSAL]

ABNuck

I don't know barrie well enough to really comment on the trade, great number on the offensive side...

I would have to say that if you look at how hughes passing and skating has absolutely turned our transition game around 360 degrees... if you could get that on our second unit as well... i would say the premise of the trade is very enticing.

Short answer: No thanks

Longer answer:

Barrie has been playing PP2 (earlier this season) and now PP1 on the Leafs with Tavares, Marner, Matthews, Nylander. Despite this easy ride he has only managed a "stunning" 8 power play points (1 g, 7 a) in 52 games. I don't see him coming into the Canucks and making a difference to our PP on that form. He generally never plays on the PK because he is a terrible defender. Looking at his 5v5 stats...he has 22 even strength points (4g, 18a). His +/- is currently -2.

By contrast Tanev has filled in on PP2 only a few times and plays on PK1 regularly because he is our best defender. Tanev has only 1 power play point and 1 shorthanded assist (expected to be low due to virtually no PP time). However, at even strength Tanev has 17 points (1g, 16a). His +/- is currently +6.

I don't know if you guys have been keeping tabs on Tanev's offence because he is not known for it, but he is 7th in assists on the Canucks right now.

Basically Barrie is NOT the offensive force he once was and Tanev actually provides a SIMILAR level of offence to Barrie at even strength!

If you factor in the fact that Tanev is also a premier shutdown Dman and will likely resign with the Canucks for around $5m compared to Barrie who will be looking for $8m+, I think it's a no brainer...keep Tanev, don't go anywhere near Barrie. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

Short answer: No thanks

Longer answer:

Barrie has been playing PP2 (earlier this season) and now PP1 on the Leafs with Tavares, Marner, Matthews, Nylander. Despite this easy ride he has only managed a "stunning" 8 power play points (1 g, 7 a) in 52 games. I don't see him coming into the Canucks and making a difference to our PP on that form. He generally never plays on the PK because he is a terrible defender. Looking at his 5v5 stats...he has 22 even strength points (4g, 18a). His +/- is currently -2.

By contrast Tanev has filled in on PP2 only a few times and plays on PK1 regularly because he is our best defender. Tanev has only 1 power play point and 1 shorthanded assist (expected to be low due to virtually no PP time). However, at even strength Tanev has 17 points (1g, 16a). His +/- is currently +6.

I don't know if you guys have been keeping tabs on Tanev's offence because he is not known for it, but he is 7th in assists on the Canucks right now.

Basically Barrie is NOT the offensive force he once was and Tanev actually provides a SIMILAR level of offence to Barrie at even strength!

If you factor in the fact that Tanev is also a premier shutdown Dman and will likely resign with the Canucks for around $5m compared to Barrie who will be looking for $8m+, I think it's a no brainer...keep Tanev, don't go anywhere near Barrie. 

100% agree.  Chris Tanev adds more to his team winning than Tyson Barrie.  

• Upvote 1

I like the idea of Tanev for Barrie with both returning home. TML will not be able to afford Barrie at the 7 but may be able to get Tanev done at 5. For the Canucks that's a difference of 2 million we would need to make room for. Barrie's ask will be 8, not necessarily what he will get though. I think he's around the 6.5-7.5 range personally but hoping hed be willing to a take a hometown discount to come to and stay in Vancouver.

I expect Juolevi, Woo, Rafferty, Trymakin to be our two way defenseman that could potentially offset the loss of a shutdown guy like Tanev. I think with the way the game has progressed and continues to progress, it would be worthwhile to have 2 offensive defenseman that could move the puck. Just look at how much Hughes has helped this year with our zone exits and entry.

I could see

Tanev and a prospect for Barrie. We move out Stetcher, Goldobin, Baertschi and one of Benn or Faantenberg to give us the cap flexibility to get this done. In a years time, we resign Sutter as our 4th line center. Send out Beagle and Schaller and try to keep Roussell and Motte. Sign Leivo to a two year extension. Trade Ferland this off season or next trade deadline and usher in Podk and Hoglander.

2022 Season

Miller Pettersson Virtanen (skill, skill and more skill)

Pearson Horvat Boeser (Defensively responsible, can play a heavier play style and still have Boeser for that extra added finesse)

Hoglander Gaudette Podkolzin (tenacious, relentless forecheck)

Roussel Sutter Motte (PK, Checking line that plays a sound two-way defensively responsible game but has the ability to pop in a few from time to time)

Edler Barrie

Hughes Myers

Juolevi Rafferty/Trymakin