The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Travis Green in reference to Boeser

Rate this topic

Arrow 1983

I have been noticing Boeser's time on ice the last 5 or so games since his demotion to the 3rd line. Todays game is the lowest it has gotten @ 12:23 mins

I do not think this is the proper response from a coach in this circumstance and I believe this is being poorly handed, and this comes from a TG supporter. 

This is not the best way to motivate Boeser if anything in this circumstance I would argue it is only making things far worse

So what am I talking about, Boeser is dealing with one of the worse things a young man can be going through especially at his age, the deterioration of his father and his likely future passing. This is most likely weighing on this young man and is something that is far more important then this game. I also refer to the Minnesota game where Boeser played one of his best games well his father was in the stands. This further shows the importance of this circumstance to Boeser.

In Boesers defence he is averaging .31 goals a game which translates to 25 for the season, and I would make the arguemet, if Boeser wasn't dealing with this those numbers would be far higher and he would be tearing up this league and be on pace probably closer to 40 or more goals.

My point here is that Green is acting as if Boeser is just in a slump and needs to be motivated, like he did with Virtanen, it does not look like he is seeing the bigger picture.

I am not going to argue that I know how to make Boeser feel better or how to make him more focus on the game, I don't even think it is something Green or anyone can expect, but I do feel it is being dealt in the wrong message, maybe they should offer him a chance to take a week or so off so he can have some time with his father, but as a true hockey player Boeser probably wouldn't want to leave his team mates even though it might be the best for him. Another option might be, the Team finds a way to bring His family to Vancouver for a while so Boeser can be close to his family. The team does own a private plan and if he his father can not fly there are other means of travel. 

I just hope that the Organization Benning and the Aquilini family are doing everything possible to accommodate Boeser and his family in this time of this young mans live and that the only response is not the one by Green and what we can see.

Edited by Arrow 1983
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

I agree.  Green clearly has no idea what to do with Boeser, and juggling him around on each and every line will do nothing to help his confidence or his ability to gel with whichever linemates he has during any given shift.  I have no idea if his drop in production has anything to do with his father's situation though.  He just spent the all star break home in Minnesota, and from what he said his Dad was doing okay.

I really think Bo's line is where he belongs right now.  

• Upvote 1

I don't know if it's so much to do with Brock not performing up to par, as it is that the players who have taken his spot, are. 
Virtanen has been on fire with Miller and Pettersson, with (before this game) 6 points in 4 games. 
I'd try Boeser on Horvat's line perhaps, but our team is winning right now and it's hard to shake things up and give players extra minutes for their confidence's sake if we're winning. 
We're fighting for a playoff spot, and if Brock's not playing up to par, this is what happens. He'll get back to that 1st line for sure, all he needs is a couple points to gain the trust he needs again. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

I think this is more about Virtanen being rewarded with top six minutes. In the playoffs the Virtanen, Rouselle and Gaudette line are a perfect playoff line playing in many different situations. The Lotto line is money!

We still have to see where Ferland fits into all of this too. Boeser will be fine on the ice, he totaly gets the team concept.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Coaches tend to not change much when winning. Pretty normal around the league. The fact that people are worried about Boeser temporarily on the third line just speaks volumes of the depth that is showing on this team. It’s a good thing to be able to change lines and adjust accordingly.

Also Boeser is going to be just fine 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Top Sven Baercheese said:

I don't know if it's so much to do with Brock not performing up to par, as it is that the players who have taken his spot, are. 
Virtanen has been on fire with Miller and Pettersson, with (before this game) 6 points in 4 games. 
I'd try Boeser on Horvat's line perhaps, but our team is winning right now and it's hard to shake things up and give players extra minutes for their confidence's sake if we're winning. 
We're fighting for a playoff spot, and if Brock's not playing up to par, this is what happens. He'll get back to that 1st line for sure, all he needs is a couple points to gain the trust he needs again. 

8 minutes ago, 6string said:

I think this is more about Virtanen being rewarded with top six minutes. In the playoffs the Virtanen, Rouselle and Gaudette line are a perfect playoff line playing in many different situations. The Lotto line is money!

We still have to see where Ferland fits into all of this too. Boeser will be fine on the ice, he totaly gets the team concept.

Honestly these are fair points, and I Hope that this is all it is,

I also hope that Green and Boeser have talked about the situation and that Boeser and Green are on the same page, which honestly could have happen and Boeser is perfectly find with his position on this team

As I said I am a TG supporter and am not trying to ruffle feathers I just hope that Green fully understands the bigger picture going on here and is not just treating this thing as another Virtanen issue using TOI as a means to motivate

Edited by Arrow 1983
  • Cheers 1

Keep in mind, Boeser didn't have a full training camp due to holdout and an concussion plus his father's illness. .  He has been behind the whole way despite getting points early in the season.  He will be fine regardless of what would happen in the future.  He will be stronger because of it.  I am not worried.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Arrow 1983 said:

Honestly these are fair points, and I Hope that this is all it is,

I also hope that Green and Boeser have talked about the situation and that Boeser and Green are on the same page, which honestly could have happen and Boeser is perfectly find with his position on this team

As I said I am a TG supporter and am not trying to ruffle feathers I just hope that Green fully understands the bigger picture going on here and is not just treating this thing as another Virtanen issue using TOI as a means to motivate

Brock still remains on the first unit PP, there is still plenty of Boeser value by how Green is handling this.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Fire Green!

As I have pointed out I am not using this to ruffle feathers and I chose my words carefully not to, it would be in bad taste to use this situation to due so, I just wanted point it out, as based on the way it could look to fans,

Furthermore, if Green is using TIO to motivate Boeser then it is also time for someone else in the organization to step in (Benning or Aquilini) and have a sit down with Green, Boeser and his agent

4 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Or maybe Green realizes why Brock's struggling, and is allowing him to deal with it at his own pace without negeatively impacting the rest of the team.  We don't know what's been said behind closed doors but I'm not particularly worried.

Absolutely a fair point

The Canucks didn't have a single power play. Boeser plays on the power play. He doesn't play shorthanded or to defend a lead in the final minutes. Canucks were shorthanded twice and had to defend a lead in the final minutes.

i feel you good point GIF by Colleen Green

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, 6string said:

Brock still remains on the first unit PP, there is still plenty of Boeser value by how Green is handling this.

I went back to check the stats and also did notice the Canucks did not get a powerplay this is one reason today his TOI got that low

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, joe-max said:

The Canucks didn't have a single power play. Boeser plays on the power play. He doesn't play shorthanded or to defend a lead in the final minutes. Canucks were shorthanded twice and had to defend a lead in the final minutes.

i feel you good point GIF by Colleen Green

fair point I did just check the stats and realize that, 

However 12mins is still low cause there was very few PK as well there was only 2 penalties called, Which means he averaged 4 mins a period

Edited by Arrow 1983

IMO, the issue is Eriksson and finding a fit for him.

They need to find him a new home, so they need to play him.

I think Green should give this a shot for a while:

Miller - Pettersson - Virtanen

Pearson - Horvat - Boeser

Roussel - Gaudette - Eriksson

Schaller - Beagle - Sutter

Cycle Eriksson and Sutter when necessary.

Best of a bad situation IMO.