The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Travis Green in reference to Boeser

Rate this topic

Arrow 1983

1 hour ago, Arrow 1983 said:

I don't know if I should give this a haha or a confused

These types of responses get people riled up, I take all the touchy feely points about the player and ... .  I'm good with Boeser. But I just play devil's advocate with some satire.  Just having fun.  You never know it could happen.  Look at Suter and Parise, they wanted to go home. :)

• Cheers 1

I think most people here would say I am not complaining. Just making an observation and for the most part people have been respectful about the topic at hand, as it deserves a respectful tone 

You're making definitive statements about a situation you do not have first hand knowledge of and then acting like those who disagree with you are being inconsiderate of Brock's feelings. Then going on to act like this is the result of some sort of gross mismanagement from the coaching staff. Tremendous.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

I also find it laughable that Brock was in this "huge" funk going pointless for a whole 5 game stretch. Guess the media just needed something to talk about outside of the fantastic stretch the team has been on since mid December.

Brock is a great player. He will get his points over the course of the season. I'm not worried about his deployment. The team is winning. Whatever is happening off the ice, I believe his teammates have his back and support him 100%. This is a tight group. They play hard for each other and have been pulling on the same rope for awhile now going 15-3 since Dec.17.

Canucks are a deep team. Lots of competition.  You gotta earn your ice time. If you're not playing hard enough or well enough for what ever reason another player that is playing well will get more ice..

Almost everyone has sick family members. Or dead family members. No need to over analyze his father being sick. That's part of life.. not just for hockey players but everyone in general. 

When Boeser plays better Green will reward him with more toi.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, KirkSave said:

I also find it laughable that Brock was in this "huge" funk going pointless for a whole 5 game stretch. Guess the media just needed something to talk about outside of the fantastic stretch the team has been on since mid December.

Brock is a great player. He will get his points over the course of the season. I'm not worried about his deployment. The team is winning. Whatever is happening off the ice, I believe his teammates have his back and support him 100%. This is a tight group. They play hard for each other and have been pulling on the same rope for awhile now going 15-3 since Dec.17.

He had another point today (and +1).

2 in last 2 games.  Nothing to really see here.

Playing with Gaudetter primarily (did step up some shifts today) - it's difficult for Green to get that line a lot of sheltered minutes, particularly on the road, against a deep, balanced, talented team like the Isles imo.  Add to that the fact the team was defending a tight lead for large parts of the game, and it's not hard to see why that line wasn't seeing a ton of ice time.  Additionally, not a second of powerplay time, so really, 12 1/2 minutes of 5 on 5 - significance of ice-time probably over-stated.

Virtanen playing excellent hockey also factors in here.

Edited by oldnews
  • Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Too much narrative and assumption in that OP.

'Demotion', 'poor handling', failure to motivate....sorry but I yawn when I read these kinds of emotive takes. laced with assumptions. 

23 minutes ago, Winter Soldier said:

You're making definitive statements about a situation you do not have first hand knowledge of and then acting like those who disagree with you are being inconsiderate of Brock's feelings. Then going on to act like this is the result of some sort of gross mismanagement from the coaching staff. Tremendous.

It is sad that every topic seems to have to end up with a negative overture, I wasn't being negative at all just making an observation as I have already explained earlier.

I was just creating conversation about the human side of things and what it could look like to the fans. Not what it is I would be the first person to say I have no clue what is happening in the locker room. I do believe this conversation should be had I'm sure people have seen others post why isn't Boeser on the line with horvat many times.

As I have said earlier if Green is using time on ice as a motivation tool then someone needs to step in (Benning)

in this circumstance. If they have talked and agreed this is the best for Boeser then that is a different story.

Notice I use the if word 

3 hours ago, Arrow 1983 said:

Honestly these are fair points, and I Hope that this is all it is,

I also hope that Green and Boeser have talked about the situation and that Boeser and Green are on the same page, which honestly could have happen and Boeser is perfectly find with his position on this team

As I said I am a TG supporter and am not trying to ruffle feathers I just hope that Green fully understands the bigger picture going on here and is not just treating this thing as another Virtanen issue using TOI as a means to motivate

Umm....Virtanen is playing on the top line, it seems whatever motivation worked, so I'd say they coaching staff has a pretty good handle on the situation. Also, it's the nhl, it's a team game, no one part is bigger than the whole, who cares what line Boeser is playing on as long as the teams winning? 

7 minutes ago, Arrow 1983 said:

It is sad that every topic seems to have to end up with a negative overture, I wasn't being negative at all just making an observation as I have already explained earlier.

I was just creating conversation about the human side of things and what it could look like to the fans. Not what it is I would be the first person to say I have no clue what is happening in the locker room. I do believe this conversation should be had I'm sure people have seen others post why isn't Boeser on the line with horvat many times.

As I have said earlier if Green is using time on ice as a motivation tool then someone needs to step in (Benning)

in this circumstance. If they have talked and agreed this is the best for Boeser then that is a different story.

Notice I use the if word 

I agree - you dion't know what is happening.

And further - the 'conversation' you're looking to have - 'based' on baseless "ifs" isn't going to go any deeper than the surface - of not knowing what you're presuming to base these 'conversations' on. 

Sorry - nothing to see here.  Coaches move players from one line to another for countless reasons.  The speculative 'psychologism' is - all it is.  Drama.

I don't buy a whiff of it.  I'd suggest there are far more 'professional' reasons for the decisions Green is making - and that it's absurd to suggest Benning may need to 'step in.'

Edited by oldnews
  • Upvote 1

read the above post had you read the post prior to your post you would have seen what I have been saying

ive read your post  ,  your still complaining that green is using ice time against brock ,  ive seen that you said  if green is using ice time  perhaps Benning or ownership should step in , I would call that straight out complaining about green ,   so in other words green is clueless in running a team and benning should fire him right ?   come on green knows what brock is going thru  ,  5 games winning streak 5 games since brock has been on the 3rd line  ,  I guess green doesn't know what he is doing ,

you also said this is turning negative  , 5  wins and you bring brock's ice time up and calling for ownership to step in lol   

I think it was just a byproduct of the Canucks trying to shut the game down defensively.  Boeser had a big gaff on the 2nd goal, and his line with Gaudette and Roussel haven't been great defensively as of late, so it looked more like Green wanted to lull the the Islanders to sleep, leading to Boeser's line not being used very much. 

I'm okay with that.  

He hasn't been what we have seen out of him but he's still valuable.

I think his place is with Bo long term. He works better when he has more opportunity to drive the play and he doesn't get that next to Petey/Miller. He's had success with Bo so I see that as a fit.

Personally I think Boeser would be pretty dominant if he had a pure facilitator on his line. Someone who loves to pass and is good at it. We don't have those pure playmaking forwards in our system though. I'm talking Backstrom/Getzlaf/H.Sedin type player. Might be something to look for in the draft.

4 hours ago, Arrow 1983 said:

I have been noticing Boeser's time on ice the last 5 or so games since his demotion to the 3rd line. Todays game is the lowest it has gotten @ 12:23 mins

I do not think this is the proper response from a coach in this circumstance and I believe this is being poorly handed, and this comes from a TG supporter. 

This is not the best way to motivate Boeser if anything in this circumstance I would argue it is only making things far worse

So what am I talking about, Boeser is dealing with one of the worse things a young man can be going through especially at his age, the deterioration of his father and his likely future passing. This is most likely weighing on this young man and is something that is far more important then this game. I also refer to the Minnesota game where Boeser played one of his best games well his father was in the stands. This further shows the importance of this circumstance to Boeser.

In Boesers defence he is averaging .31 goals a game which translates to 25 for the season, and I would make the arguemet, if Boeser wasn't dealing with this those numbers would be far higher and he would be tearing up this league and be on pace probably closer to 40 or more goals.

My point here is that Green is acting as if Boeser is just in a slump and needs to be motivated, like he did with Virtanen, it does not look like he is seeing the bigger picture.

I am not going to argue that I know how to make Boeser feel better or how to make him more focus on the game, I don't even think it is something Green or anyone can expect, but I do feel it is being dealt in the wrong message, maybe they should offer him a chance to take a week or so off so he can have some time with his father, but as a true hockey player Boeser probably wouldn't want to leave his team mates even though it might be the best for him. Another option might be, the Team finds a way to bring His family to Vancouver for a while so Boeser can be close to his family. The team does own a private plan and if he his father can not fly there are other means of travel. 

I just hope that the Organization Benning and the Aquilini family are doing everything possible to accommodate Boeser and his family in this time of this young mans live and that the only response is not the one by Green and what we can see.

Boeser has had every opportunity to succeed, probably more than any other player on the team.  He's having a rough season coming off a holdout, similar to Nylander in TO last season.  Truly though, it's Jake's play that is the biggest factor..........he gave TG no choice but to put him into the top 6 and is giving him no choice but to leave him there.  He and Miller and Bo are the three best fwds right now, imo.

4 hours ago, Arrow 1983 said:

I do not think this is the proper response from a coach...

You have no idea what is going on in the locker room.  But you can make up all the stories you want.

Green knows how he wants to develop Boeser and he will continue working at it. No matter what some internet poster assumes is going on.

• Cheers 2

4 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Or maybe Green realizes why Brock's struggling, and is allowing him to deal with it at his own pace without negeatively impacting the rest of the team.  We don't know what's been said behind closed doors but I'm not particularly worried.

not only that, but we don't know what his family wants, or how often he has family with him here for that matter. I think we should stay away from speculating on whats best for Boeser's family. 

• Cheers 1

Brock's a team player and his team's winning...I'm not too worried about him.  Players with positive attitudes (as he has) don't look at things in a negative light...they're trying different things, that's all.  He's a champion, through and through...he'll be just fine.  He doesn't need sheltering...he's surrounded by a great supporting cast and is strong and resilient.

• Cheers 1