The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Boston Bruins | Feb. 04, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

9 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

That looked like a tired team last night. No jump on the offense, no push back when challenged, no fight for the puck.

So many defensive miscues. How many breakaways against? How many bad passes especially in our own end. How many times were the forwards heading up ice instead of supporting the D man.

Lazy plays especially checking the Bruins. I like Jake but the effort on the Krecji goal was exactly what was wrong with the team last night.

The delay of game calls were ridiculous as well. Those have nothing to do with bad reffing, so many 5 on 3 power plays....

The hit on Petey was late for sure and should have been an interference penalty but really the refs had very little to do with the Canucks losing this game.

This was on the players. Again we never know if the flu is running rampant, if the plane got in late or the hotel was noisy and no one got any sleep but that was a stinker of a game and almost no compete from our guys. The Bruins are a contender, much Like Tbay, we dont seem to be in their league ....yet.

This is a throwaway game. Get two points from the Wild and we should be happy with this trip.

You contradict yourself though.

If "they looked like a tired team" you have to consider that...they are.  "This was on the players" means you're ignoring the reason for the lack of energy and drive.  I do agree that to muster up something would have been better than a whole lot of nothing that went on.  

But the late hit on Petey that "should have" is also setting the tone in a game.  Our guys didn't respond but neither did the inept garbage refs.  

We're not in their league yet is BS....play a fresh Canucks team on our turf and it's a different story.  Bruins are full of themselves again...the dollar store rat pack gets away with murder and so sure, they're on top of the world/league (I'm talking in general, not just versus the Canucks).  Marchand should have been hung out to dry long ago but has a real sense of cockiness because he hasn't been.  Confidence comes through knowing you have immunity.

Anyhow...it was our loss but I don't totally "blame" the team for a stinker of a game.  Or put the Bruins on a pedestal either.  Boston's had 4 and 5 game losing streaks and run very hot and cold.  Hopefully they'll dry up again soon.  Right now the praise is warranted, sure, but they've got momentum.

Right now on the season they're up by 1....let's see what happens after the next game.  Then we'll decide if we are not worthy.

35 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

You contradict yourself though.

If "they looked like a tired team" you have to consider that...they are.  "This was on the players" means you're ignoring the reason for the lack of energy and drive.  I do agree that to muster up something would have been better than a whole lot of nothing that went on.  

But the late hit on Petey that "should have" is also setting the tone in a game.  Our guys didn't respond but neither did the inept garbage refs.  

We're not in their league yet is BS....play a fresh Canucks team on our turf and it's a different story.  Bruins are full of themselves again...the dollar store rat pack gets away with murder and so sure, they're on top of the world/league (I'm talking in general, not just versus the Canucks).  Marchand should have been hung out to dry long ago but has a real sense of cockiness because he hasn't been.  Confidence comes through knowing you have immunity.

Anyhow...it was our loss but I don't totally "blame" the team for a stinker of a game.  Or put the Bruins on a pedestal either.  Boston's had 4 and 5 game losing streaks and run very hot and cold.  Hopefully they'll dry up again soon.  

Ok

They look like a tired team and maybe they are. Not a point of discussion I agree with you.not Ignoring the fact that could be the reason for lack of drive as you put it.

If the late hit on Petey sets the tone we have to learn to play in that type of game... think playoffs , its going to be like that.That was much like what the playoffs will be.

We are not in the league of the Bruins, Caps , Lightning. ..yet. We have some pieces but even the most rose colored glasses cannot believe we are not at that level yet. Its not BS it is reality.

I hate the Bruins and Marchand as much as anyone , but they were the better team last night. We had two real clean chances last night. Bo in tight and Sutter had a clean look late in the third.

As for not totally blaming the team for the loss.....who do you blame? The hot dog or beer vendor? the parking guy? Good teams come to play and if we cant get up for a game against the Bruins who can we get up for?  as for putting the Bruins on a pedestal thats not what i am doing. But they are a good team and to say otherwise just isnt fact.

Edited by mikeyman109
  • Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, Hockey101 said:

I think our coaches have coached the physicality out of this team Benning's tried to give us some push but then hired these soft coaches who played a small mans game probably all wished they played in the NHL today. Our team doesn't fair well when other play aggressive pp stinks get Boeser outta there and Rousel on 2nd unit wtf. Rousel not bringing anything to this team bring in Bailey or Macewen. Don't get me wrong I like where we are in the standings, like winning but we have to be more physical something our coaching staff cant phantom.

so how do you think it is Boesers fault the pp1 hasn't been good? none of them have got it going, blaming one player  on a line where they are all making the mistakes is  laughable 

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Boston got away with a call? colour me shocked. 

Sounds like Calgary lost Giordano last night, TO has no goalie. We're OK. 

Lets put the boots to Mnni and go home with 7/10 points on the road. 

You'd think we were 1-3 on this trip by reading this thread lol

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

You'd think we were 1-3 on this trip by reading this thread lol

some things are just a certainty in the NHL. Boston gets away with more cheap crap than other teams. California teams get to steamroll other teams. Montreal will get a timely 3rd period penalty against us, every single damn time they play here. It is what it is. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, mikeyman109 said:

As for not totally blaming the team for the loss.....who do you blame? The hot dog or beer vendor? the parking guy? Good teams come to play and if we cant get up for a game against the Bruins who can we get up for?  as for putting the Bruins on a pedestal thats not what i am doing. But they are a good team and to say otherwise just isnt fact.

Why does anyone have to be blamed after any loss? For cripes sakes the Nucks are 7-2-1 in their last 10. Last night was the first time in 7 games they failed to gain a point.  They were playing their 3rd game in 4 days...on the road...a challenge for any team. They were tired. I'm not blaming them. Games and efforts like this happen.  I'm not expecting a win every game.  I'm sick of the criticism and handwringing when we don't. Let's criticize when it's deserved.  As someone said it's a throwaway. On to the next one.

I'd be worried if the lack of effort and pushback became a habit. But nothing in the team's play and results in the last couple months indicate that. 

We ARE still a good team in spite of a loss to the Bruins.  As Deb said, let's see how we do when we are fresh and in our barn.  Last night was no measuring stick.

Edited by yes we can nucks
additional thoughts
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Boston got away with a call? colour me shocked. 

Sounds like Calgary lost Giordano last night, TO has no goalie. We're OK. 

Lets put the boots to Mnni and go home with 7/10 points on the road. 

That’s a little something I like to call karma. 

• Haha 2

Just read coach Greens interview on the Petterson hit.   He spouts off about the refs not holding players accountable for late hits to star players blah blah blah....

Ok coach...how about you grow some balls and show other teams that it is not ok to run out star players over and over!!!  Fighting is legal!!  There was no

point last night when I thought we might win that game...perfect opportunity to push back and show the league we stand up for eachother.   If we make the playoffs

Hughes, petterson and Boesser are going to be targets imidiately....we don't stand a chance if we tuck out tails between our legs like this....Im so mad....and embarrassed. 

Bloody pitiful

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

Just now, Ronning4center said:

Just read coach Greens interview on the Petterson hit.   He spouts off about the refs not holding players accountable for late hits to star players blah blah blah....

Ok coach...how about you grow some balls and show other teams that it is not ok to run out star players over and over!!!  Fighting is legal!!  There was no

point last night when I thought we might win that game...perfect opportunity to push back and show the league we stand up for eachother.   If we make the playoffs

Hughes, petterson and Boesser are going to be targets imidiately....we don't stand a chance if we tuck out tails between our legs like this....Im so mad....and embarrassed. 

Bloody pitiful

Green usually doesnt spout off about reffing or his players getting run at.  Part of me thinks hes sending a subtle message to benning to better equip his team to deal with these situations.

I know Benning went out and got Ferland and Roussel etc...but IMHO the days of those guys being the guys that stir the pot when it comes to deterring or roughing up the other team are done.  They both have concussion histories and will probably be apprehensive to get involved in situations where the gloves may come off.

Ferland can still be a good player, i just dont expect him to be the guy that keeps the other team honest.

Dont know what the answer is here. Seems like we have had this problem for years...

7 minutes ago, Darius said:

Green usually doesnt spout off about reffing or his players getting run at.  Part of me thinks hes sending a subtle message to benning to better equip his team to deal with these situations.

I know Benning went out and got Ferland and Roussel etc...but IMHO the days of those guys being the guys that stir the pot when it comes to deterring or roughing up the other team are done.  They both have concussion histories and will probably be apprehensive to get involved in situations where the gloves may come off.

Ferland can still be a good player, i just dont expect him to be the guy that keeps the other team honest.

Dont know what the answer is here. Seems like we have had this problem for years...

Fair enough....but i remember clearly when Daniel Sedin got rocked by Kadri and a 31 year old Janick Hansen skated as fast as he could to fight Kadri....Didnt even hesitate.

Im sorry but Bo should have gone up to that guy first shift and challenged him.  I watch alot of hockey and this is the norm for any other team.  

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Ronning4center said:

Fair enough....but i remember clearly when Daniel Sedin got rocked by Kadri and a 31 year old Janick Hansen skated as fast as he could to fight Kadri....Didnt even hesitate.

Im sorry but Bo should have gone up to that guy first shift and challenged him.  I watch alot of hockey and this is the norm for any other team.  

Dont disagree with you at all.  I think someone should have done something.  But if someone went after Grizzler (cant spell his name and too lazy to look it up) the Canucks would have been in a position where Boston would have potentially  ramped up the intensity even more - unfortunately Boston is much more well equipped to play that type of game.

I think they need to add more snarl and grit to their lineup. I remember way back when ...when Pat Quinn took over the team...it didnt take them long to get guys like Dirk, Diduck, Momesso etc...he really toughened up that roster and for once they could be the instigator of pain instead of the reactive team.  It made a huge difference.

This core is too soft and will be exploited in a playoff series against a tougher team.   They could be talented enough to survive but it wont hurt to bolster the lineup a bit.

• Upvote 2