The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks interested in Wayne Simmonds

It's time. He'll come cheap too. Ideally he'd play in our bottom-6 but you can plug him into our top-6 if we have to (and that would likely be the case right now with Boeser out). 

Yes, I know he's not the player he once was, but bringing him in would be an inexpensive move that seems like a no-brainer to me...

Edited by Herberts Vasiljevs
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

21 hours ago, VIC_CITY said:

I think our fan base generally overrates Tryamkin. He's a # 6-7 NHL defenseman. 

Yep he's a 6'7" defenseman that weighs 270ish lbs and skates like the wind.   We've already seen what he can do three or so years ago,  it's not like we couldn't give it another go.  We won't know until he comes to camp but as far as labels go, he was just fine on the bottom pairing the first time around and he won't be worse then that.   Our defense needs some teeth and he'd bring more of that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

It's time. He'll come cheap too. Ideally he'd play in our bottom-6 but you can plug him into our top-6 if we have to (and that would likely be the case right now with Boeser out). 

Yes, I know he's not the player he once was, but bringing him in would be an inexpensive move that seems like a no-brainer to me...

Lif he somes cheap I'm in. Especially after that night. B prospect and a mid rounder?

On 2/6/2020 at 4:09 PM, DrJockitch said:

Can't keep up with the game anymore. 

If they want Louie for him than fine but otherwise no thank you.

He was and is a solid top nine forward who can be utilized on the power play. He is not washed up and is a good skater who can find the open spot when needed. I think he would be a good under the radar addition to a team like the Canucks. Yes the team could have to move out bodies, but Simmonds would be an upgrade and especially useful if Ferland is not quite a factor this season.

• Cheers 1

I would love to have Simmonds on this team this year, if the price is right.

But would it make a difference? This team seems to have re-adopted the whole "turn the other cheek" type of culture. What's the point of bringing him in if they'll just put a straightjacket on him when he gets here?

• Cheers 1

On 2/8/2020 at 5:41 PM, VIC_CITY said:

I think our fan base generally overrates Tryamkin. He's a # 6-7 NHL defenseman. 

The former may be true, but to claim you know what he is seems pretty silly. Time will tell, not your crystal ball. 

I wouldn't say he's overrated, we don't have a good grasp on what he is at the NHL level. But it could argued he's overhyped, which is fairly common when it comes to sports fanbases. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, IBatch said:

Yep he's a 6'7" defenseman that weighs 270ish lbs and skates like the wind.   We've already seen what he can do three or so years ago,  it's not like we couldn't give it another go.  We won't know until he comes to camp but as far as labels go, he was just fine on the bottom pairing the first time around and he won't be worse then that.   Our defense needs some teeth and he'd bring more of that. 

I'm not saying he can't play in the league, but he isn't even a star in the KHL, a league that is slightly better than the AHL. It would be unrealistic for us to expect him to be anything but a 3rd pairing defenseman at this point. 

• Like 2
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, VIC_CITY said:

I'm not saying he can't play in the league, but he isn't even a star in the KHL, a league that is slightly better than the AHL. It would be unrealistic for us to expect him to be anything but a 3rd pairing defenseman at this point. 

8 hours ago, Disgruntler said:

One question. Why?

He already explained it.

21 hours ago, Toyotasfan said:

31 years old 

steady decline in stats for five years

the same size and weight as Pettersson. 

104 goals the past 4 seasons.  If 32 to 31 goals is part of a 'steady' decline,  cool story.  If you have a problem with 24 goals, cheers.  If a cheap rental who scored 17 goals, threw 137 hits, is fearless doesn't appeal to you, I wonder what your expectations are.   1 season of 'decline' - surrounded by a lottery team full of disappointments.

The Pettersson comparison is about as absurd as it gets - and for the sake of accuracy, not they're not the same weight - 10lbs is a significant difference - and EP has about 4 or 5 years to grow  into his strength = it's just a ridiculous equivalency.

15 hours ago, VIC_CITY said:

I'm not a fan of this logic. There are plenty of AHL "stars" that don't pan out at the NHL level. Also, defensive players don't get the credit they deserve as stars even up to the NHL level. Someone like Tanev wouldn't be considered a "star", but he's easily in my top 4 dmen group.

By all accounts, Tryamkin has improved and focused his game more towards being a defensive dman. So while he's not an offensive "star", there's no reason to think he couldn't be a top 4 dman at the NHL level given that he's playing top pairing minutes now on his team which includes top PK time. He may start here as a bottom pairing guy to adapt back into the system and the league, but we will see how long he stays there.

• Cheers 2

21 hours ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

Schaller+ palmu+ 2021 conditional 3rd

Nothing of value going out, easy yes from me on this deal. They'd have to retain half the cap for it to work. I'd be willing to upgrade that 3rd to a 2nd if it convinces them to take Baertschi instead of Schaller. Maybe even upgrade Palmu to Lockwood. We get a good energy vet for the playoffs and free us of Baer's cap next season.

3 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Nothing of value going out, easy yes from me on this deal. They'd have to retain half the cap for it to work. I'd be willing to upgrade that 3rd to a 2nd if it convinces them to take Baertschi instead of Schaller. Maybe even upgrade Palmu to Lockwood. We get a good energy vet for the playoffs and free us of Baer's cap next season.

If they take this for Simmonds, no worries about the Cap. All good to me. Benning could certainly do another deal somewhere else for Cap.

How are Simmonds’ wheels?

Edited by Me_