The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks interested in Wayne Simmonds

3 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

I'm interested if the Devs allowed this to be expanded, & they take on one or two of our dog-contracts.

Van: Baer, Sutter, Madden, Demko

Devs: Bahl(220 lb, local lad, LhD), Simmonds, Dopey Domingue

That would be 7.7 mill off next yr's cap.

We don’t need to overhaul the team.

Tryamkin is probably coming back in April. Check on trading for a D.

Ferland is coming back soon. This is the type of player team would trade for at that time. Yet another forward we don’t have to trade for.

Goaltending is ace. 

So really, it would have to be a deal that makes our team much better. The Canucks don’t need a deal just to make a deal. There is no pressure on this GM who is about to deliver on the sudden summertime demands of making the playoffs this year.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Me_ said:

We don’t need to overhaul the team.

Tryamkin is probably coming back in April. Check on trading for a D.

Ferland is coming back soon. This is the type of player team would trade for at that time. Yet another forward we don’t have to trade for.

Goaltending is ace. 

So really, it would have to be a deal that makes our team much better. The Canucks don’t need a deal just to make a deal. There is no pressure on this GM who is about to deliver on the sudden summertime demands of making the playoffs this year.

We could use another good prospect on the left side.  Bahl is an absolute beast who plays big.  You'd love him.

• Cheers 2

38 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Drop the crack pipe...

...Horvat has 44 points this year on pace for 67.

Simmonds has 19 on pace for 30.

There is absolutely zero chance Simmonds is an upgrade in ANY AREA over Horvat.  Good god...some posters think this is 2013!!  :picard:

I'd say Simmonds is an upgrade over Horvat in the one area that the OP mentioned: net-front presence. I don't like Horvat on PP1 at all. Not because he's bad, but because it doesn't make the most of his skillset. Having Bo on PP2 (where he has chemistry with Pearson) would make more sense and allow plays to run through Horvat (PP2 doesn't really have much skill, Horvat would address that). 

That said, there is still no way I'd want Simmonds. The Canucks need to either make the playoffs with the team they have or pick up a lottery pick this year. 

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Drop the crack pipe...

...Horvat has 44 points this year on pace for 67.

Simmonds has 19 on pace for 30.

There is absolutely zero chance Simmonds is an upgrade in ANY AREA over Horvat.  Good god...some posters think this is 2013!!  :picard:

Finish reading the post first before you reply ;)

• Wat 1

Since the start of the 2017 season, forwards only, more than 100 games: 

simmonds.png

pp1.png

We're looking at a guy who can put in the PP minutes (~600) of Horvat with the results of a scuffed Goldobin. Where's the benefit? We don't need more players who just fill in the time. 

• Upvote 1

I'd rather give the minutes to MacEwen but I can see them wanting to shore up some depth as they head into the playoffs. Could be a guy that helps make the Canucks a team that get to the 2nd round this year. MacEwen probably gets the Simmonds spot next year, anyways. 

The ideal deal, in my mind, would be:

Baertschi, Lockwood, 2022 2nd for Simmonds. You may need to throw in Goldobin to get it over the hump. 

Why Vancouver Does it:

I guess they want to add the toughness they're not going to get from Ferland this season for this year's playoffs. Simmonds expires at the end of the season. If NJD wants Goldy, give them him and free up a roster spot to sign a College UFA. 

Why NJD Does It: 

Simmonds isn't going to be re-signed. Simmonds goes to a team looking to make a run. Baertschi is there to help even out the salaries (I assume NJD will retain some). Lockwood goes the other way as a prospect that can sign with NJD asap and is added to there pool. Goldy could be added as a reclaimation project for NJD to see if they can breath new life into him. He's an RFA. Could be a good depth guy for them next year. 

Do I see this happening? Quite possibly. I just hope the Canucks don't part ways with Kole Lind to get Simmonds as a rental. 

Edited by Quantum

21 minutes ago, Quantum said:

I'd rather give the minutes to MacEwen but I can see them wanting to shore up some depth as they head into the playoffs. Could be a guy that helps make the Canucks a team that get to the 2nd round this year. MacEwen probably gets the Simmonds spot next year, anyways. 

The ideal deal, in my mind, would be:

Baertschi, Lockwood, 2022 2nd for Simmonds. You may need to throw in Goldobin to get it over the hump. 

Why Vancouver Does it:

I guess they want to add the toughness they're not going to get from Ferland this season for this year's playoffs. Simmonds expires at the end of the season. If NJD wants Goldy, give them him and free up a roster spot to sign a College UFA. 

Why NJD Does It: 

Simmonds isn't going to be re-signed. Simmonds goes to a team looking to make a run. Baertschi is there to help even out the salaries (I assume NJD will retain some). Lockwood goes the other way as a prospect that can sign with NJD asap and is added to there pool. Goldy could be added as a reclaimation project for NJD to see if they can breath new life into him. He's an RFA. Could be a good depth guy for them next year. 

Do I see this happening? Quite possibly. I just hope the Canucks don't part ways with Kole Lind to get Simmonds as a rental. 

That’s actually a pretty terrible offer. Baertschi is a cap dump with term.  He has negative value. Lockwood can and possibly will decide not to sign and go UFA. Especially if his rights are held by a team that’s currently a tire fire. So little to no value there.

you’re basically offering a 2nd three years from now for NJ to take Baertschi’s cap hit this year and next, and give Simmonds to Vancouver with retention. Oh, And Goldobin adds no value. 

Edited by qwijibo

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

The only way I'd consider this is Baertschi for Simmonds 1-1

but that would add another forward to our log jam. It has to be someone on the roster. 

i think Beartschi will be dealt in a separate deal though.

Simmonds will be cheap. 

NJD will eat 1 mill cap and take a 3rd and C prospect for him.

Lockwood + 3rd for Simmonds 1 mill retained. 

Lockwood likely goes UFA and doesn't sign with us considering our depth. NJD likely has better chance at signing him. 

Edit

I'd rather go after Kovalchuk tho. Play him on 2nd line with Horvat and Pearson. He makes the team so much better and gives you a legit 2nd scoring line. League minimum salary so cap isn't an issue. 750k. 

Edited by WHL rocks

3 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Simmonds will be cheap. 

NJD will eat 1 mill cap and take a 3rd and C prospect for him.

Lockwood + 3rd for Simmonds 1 mill retained. 

Lockwood likely goes UFA and doesn't sign with us considering our depth. NJD likely has better chance at signing him. 

If Lockwood is included there would have to be a conditional pick attached to him. I can’t imagine he has much interest in joining one of the worst teams in the league.  If he decides to walk Jersey is left with nothing unless there’s a conditional pick as compensation 

• Wat 2

Just now, qwijibo said:

If Lockwood is included there would have to be a conditional pick attached to him. I can’t imagine he has much interest in joining one of the worst teams in the league.  If he decides to walk Jersey is left with nothing unless there’s a conditional pick as compensation 

Actually he would rather sign with a bad team over a good team. That way he makes the NHL quicker.

On a good team with depth he would be spending couple of years in the AHL developing. He wants to play in the NHL so he benefits by signing with a bad team because he'll have faster path to NHL.  

• Cheers 1

Just now, WHL rocks said:

Actually he would rather sign with a bad team over a good team. That way he makes the NHL quicker.

On a good team with depth he would be spending couple of years in the AHL developing. He wants to play in the NHL so he benefits by signing with a bad team because he'll have faster path to NHL.  

If you’re sure about that then there’s no harm in attaching a conditional pick.  I can’t imagine Jersey would do it without a safety net 

Just now, qwijibo said:

If you’re sure about that then there’s no harm in attaching a conditional pick.  I can’t imagine Jersey would do it without a safety net 

They're already getting a 3rd as part of package. 

That's all Simmonds is worth. Might even be had for a 4th.

He's not what he used to be but can be a useful 4th liner who brings a heavy game. His skating is sub par. He would be a depth player on a playoff team. 

Not worth very much. A 3rd without Lockwood likely gets it done. Lockwood is the sweetner just in case NJD holds out for more than a 3rd.