The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Minnesota Wild | Feb. 06, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Again the team looked tired last night. Long 5 game road trip across the continent. I am hoping the home cooking and arena allow for some rest.

I didnt like the officiating last night but there are going to be nights like that, the worst call i thought was the call on Gaudette after the Wild p[layer did the exact same thing to him seconds earlier. That was just bad. sometimes you have to beat the team in the stripes also.

Nice to see them stand up for themselves last night. some push back is going to be needed at times.

500 on the road trip isnt too bad, i might have taken it going in but after winning the first two I was hoping for better.

The only team that picked up any ground on us last night was Vegas. Big win there

Hopefully Petterson is better quickly. He was definitely missed especially on the power play last night.

Marky played better after the 1st period. Im hoping that he isnt starting to show the wear and tear of 40 shots against most nights. Maybe Demko gets the net against the flames?

Lots of nicks and bruises last night. Beagle took another off the arm. Fantenberg hurt, Petey out. Time for the depth to show up.

27 games to go. Still in first place. I will take it.

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, NightHawkSniper said:

What do you expect from a 3C? There's only so much you can hope for.

He’s a 4th liner at best I’d expect a bottom six to finish a check or throw a hit be at least a little difficult to play against. Schaller and sutter do neither and LE does even less if that’s possible. 

All just Dead weight. 

I like the way JB has built up our prospects.... But his free agent and pro signings are seriously going to limit our success.  Too much dead weight on this team.

Sutter  4.38

Erickson.   6

Beagle.    3

Schaller.    1.9

Baertchi.    3.37

Goldobin    900K

$19.55 million in deadweight that are not tradable.  

All these contracts we’re given out by JB.  These can be the difference between a good team vs a great team.  I understand that other teams have bad contracts.  Successful teams don’t have almost 20 million in player salaries that are contributing little to the team.

Sutter and Beagle offer faceoffs, penalty killing, veteran leadership,  but both have limited offensive.  Without the 3rd and 4th lines chipping in occasionally offensively there is too much pressure on the top two lines.  Come playoffs the opposition needs to shut down Petey.  Good bye Canucks.

This is not a fire JB post.  I just hope he has learned his lessons and won’t saddle the team with overpriced contracts in the future.

Edited by Sedintwinpowersactivate

Speaking of Foligno.... if wild are further out of a playoff race by the TDL and Ferland is not fit for duty.. maybe JB should look at prying him out of Minnesota.  He’s the kind of douche we need!  Consistent 20+ point guy for the fourth line .. can he penalty kill?  IMHO it would be a better move than overpaying for a guy like Simmonds 

edit.. nvm... just saw he has almost 3 million cap hit 

Edited by Darius

39 minutes ago, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:

I like the way JB has built up our prospects.... But his free agent and pro signings are seriously going to limit our success.  Too much dead weight on this team.

Sutter  4.38

Erickson.   6

Beagle.    3

Schaller.    1.9

Baertchi.    3.37

Goldobin    900K

$19.55 million in deadweight that are not tradable.  

All these contracts we’re given out by JB.  These can be the difference between a good team vs a great team.  I understand that our teams have bad contracts.  Successful teams don’t have almost 20 million in player salaries that are contributing little to the team.

Sutter and Beagle offer faceoffs, penalty killing, veteran leadership,  but both have limited offensive.  Without the 3rd and 4th lines chipping in occasionally offensively there is too much pressure on the top two lines.  Come playoffs the opposition needs to shut down Petey.  Good bye Canucks.

This is not a fire JB post.  I just hope he has learned his lessons and won’t saddle the team with overpriced contracts in the future.

Goldy isn’t “dead weight” as his cap hit is effectively removed by being in the minors (ALL of it).

7 hours ago, knucklehead91 said:

GUYS ITS A F***ING 82 GAME SEASON.

WE ARE BOUND TO LOSE SOME. Take a few sh!t losses here and be thankful the other teams (minus VGK) lost as well. We are slumping at the right time(If there is a time to slump)

The playoff race is still a moot point right now. 2 bad games, a few guys slumpin and ready to snap. Horvat who is my favourite player, had his first game where he was invisible. WHO CARES! We werent picked to be a playoff team, yet we lead the pack. Our depth is deeper than its ever been. The team has come together this year and at a young age and provided competitiveness.

- We have won games we shouldnt have won (not a lot of complaints when that happened)

- We have lost games we shouldn’t have (sometimes that is the luck of the draw)

- THEN THERE ARE GAMES WHERE YOU LOSE BECAUSE YOU ARE DESTINED FOR A FEW BAD GAMES.

Be thankful we have such a talented young team that has yet to fully blossom and is backed up by the budding prospects who are beginning to bloom and yet to fully flower in such a rich system of talent.

Yes losing sucks, take the positives and lose the negativity. The boys are frustrated enough, Tuna dropped em, Mac daddy tried to make an impact and helll CHRIS TANEV WAS STARTING TO STEAM

Could be Toronto or Buffalo (FUBAR)

Lots of good points here. It is nice to have this  positive attitude. Thank you . I personally , after so many years of suffering and broken dreams, tend to start pushing a panic button after first signs of trouble. Thank you for remaining about a big picture

• Cheers 1

I thought this was going to be an easy win. Then Petey cancelled and the team was really shaky first period.

Green should have got them to fight for Petey's sake but it was the opposite. The team felt like they had an uppercut and just defended against a knockout... I missed the rage against the injury that they should have felt instead. 

Has anyone out there invented some type of glove or lower arm padding that would give better protection for players/   Beagle can't hit the net when shooting but the opposition can hit the same spot on his wrist/arm consistently.  

4 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

that's because when something goes right for us.. people will say well it was the correct call anyways.. so the ref didn't benefit us.. and when it's the missed call.. the ref is against us.. every night ref makes good and bad calls against both teams.. good teams will battle thru it.. look at washington? they are top of the league.. yet they have more penalties than powerplay.. we are also at the top of the league in terms of powerplay vs penalty kills.. so people need to stop complaining about the ref and the players need to start showing up for games consistently at the start of the game.. not half way thru a period or game..

the Canucks forum is no different than any other teams forum in the NHL. yes even the Capital team fans complain! 

• Cheers 4

48 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I find it irritating when some blame the refs for the Canucks losing. They're just not very good without their best player. This is very telling, without Petey, this team sucks.

Well yeah lol without mcdavid Edmonton is $&!#, without Crosby Pittsburgh doesn’t win any cups, without Ovechkin Washington doesn’t win the cup. Without Kane Chicago probably doesn’t win any cups. Literally every team in the league is way worse when they lose the best player on their team. I think judging and saying the team sucks after 1 game without Pettersson this year is a little ridiculous. They lost 4-2, but there is no guarantee they win that game even with petey in the lineup. Just a bad game at the end of a road trip, all is good.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, rekker said:

Try him over Schaller. I've grown tired of big bodies that don't stick up for teammates. This team looks soft again.

Agree... Schaller is paper thin for his 4th line duties. Wouldn’t mind see MacEwan in for him. Or later Kole Lind.... 

Schaller is what he is.... the other two are developing. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Darius said:

Speaking of Foligno.... if wild are further out of a playoff race by the TDL and Ferland is not fit for duty.. maybe JB should look at prying him out of Minnesota.  He’s the kind of douche we need!  Consistent 20+ point guy for the fourth line .. can he penalty kill?  IMHO it would be a better move than overpaying for a guy like Simmonds 

edit.. nvm... just saw he has almost 3 million cap hit 

Thats just it... folks who can swing them, and also are capable hockey players don’t come free of charge...

1 minute ago, spook007 said:

Thats just it... folks who can swing them, and also are capable hockey players don’t come free of charge...

yeah i would have no problem if they payed for his cap for a couple years if he plays with the edge we saw last night...but can we add another roughly 3 mill contract to the fourth line...

1 minute ago, Darius said:

yeah i would have no problem if they payed for his cap for a couple years if he plays with the edge we saw last night...but can we add another roughly 3 mill contract to the fourth line...

Trade fir Looch, and put him with Petey.  

Sign Big Buff and play him with Hughes.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

I find it irritating when some blame the refs for the Canucks losing. They're just not very good without their best player. This is very telling, without Petey, this team sucks.

The officiating is pathetic. There is no doubt about that. All one has to do is watch a game and see how randomly they make calls. Their incompetence does have a direct impact on the outcome of games. Allowing a team to hook with impunity allows that very team to slow down the other teams progress.

That being said, the Canucks have been playing with very little urgency and almost zero teamwide pushback. They've deserved the outcome from the last two games. The leaders on the team, outside of Markstrom need to start actually leading.

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Agree... Schaller is paper thin for his 4th line duties. Wouldn’t mind see MacEwan in for him. Or later Kole Lind.... 

Schaller is what he is.... the other two are developing. 

Kole Lind is a pretty big boy, and he plays the right way.  He has a nasty edge to him too.  Love to see him get time with Petey. 

• Cheers 1