The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Minnesota Wild | Feb. 06, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Overall the road trip is not bad, got 5/10 points.

The players was good in the last two period of this game.

I don't want to blame refs, but actually ….

Hoping EP40 and Fantg are no big problem.

The team is tired, call up some youngers to let some starts having rest, and let the youngers having some NHL experience.

Our team is still in the playoff race,  GCG

9 minutes ago, Rabbit said:

Overall the road trip is not bad, got 5/10 points.

The players was good in the last two period of this game.

I don't want to blame refs, but actually ….

Hoping EP40 and Fantg are no big problem.

The team is tired, call up some youngers to let some starts having rest, and let the youngers having some NHL experience.

Our team is still in the playoff race,  GCG

Aren’t we still if first by 3 points?  

Green and co. suck. The coaching staff is going to be the downfall of this team. If you watch five minutes of any other competent team, you see how much of a priority puck possession and puck support with a player flanking the puck carrier when gaining the offensive zone is. Our goals don't come from controlled entries where the players are in unison, they come from haphazard, isolated plays.

Like why is Brandon effin Sutter on PP's top unit when you have Virtanen or Gaudette to choose from? How come there is no movement on the PP? Why do we let other teams gain our blue line so easily? Why are we always out shot? Why don't our players respond when our star player gets hurt? 

Rookie coach, rookie GM, a vacant President of Hockey ops position. It seems like everyone's learning on the job and we as fans have suffered for nearly a decade because of it. 

Edited by Seinfeld
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Goldy isn’t “dead weight” as his cap hit is effectively removed by being in the minors (ALL of it).

JB signed him to a one way contract for 900k.  He is playing in the minors.  Not the NHL.  I’m sure he would have been moved already if an other team was interested.  That is a bad signing.  Luckily it’s only one year.  

Edited by Sedintwinpowersactivate
  • Haha 1
  • Wat 3

22 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I did notice the Canucks played with way more grit yesterday than usual.

Hopefully it becomes a constant in their game going forward. It's going to have to be, as games are getting more physical now. Have to be willing to play that type of game to win.

Jake dropping the gloves and winning a fight, then he tried to go after someone else.

He's been great this season. Improving in every way.

Some of the Wild players were chuckling at him.

Well, they need to find something to laugh about considering where they are in the standings.

This kid trying to protect his whole team lol Good on Jake for finding the courage.

Exactly. He's been a very important member of the team this year.

I also really liked MacEwen's heavy game. He's big and pretty fast, can hit and he doesn't seem afraid of anyone really. He also dropped the gloves and did okay.

I thought MacEwen did very well and deserves to stay with the team and forge a career in the NHL. Way more than Schaller or Eriksson. I'd even put him above Roussel at this point, who's been a disappointment recently. 

Even Markstrom threw a punch in a scuffle.

To me, Markstrom is the true leader on the team. A real barometer for where the team is. He says what he thinks instead of some typical scripted response. Jacob is the man.

But as nice as that was to see, this was the Wild. Not exactly an intimidating physical team.

Neither is Boston. Outside of Chara, how intimidating are they?

The Canucks need Ferland back, and maybe even one more big player. With what happened with Pettersson, I believe Benning is going to try and fix that problem right away.

The Canucks just need to play as a team who has each others backs, and not just when things are going well. That's the problem. They've come back from being outscored and outskated, but when a team puts the boots to them physically, they seem to crumble. This was the biggest issue with the last core too. Far too permissive. Bieksa and Kesler were tough players ready to fight, but they didn't set the tone, the Sedins did.

Still waiting for Bo to do captain things.

Same. He's been a disappointment as of late. He needs to lead the charge to get the team to fight for each other, but he isn't.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Only 7 teams in the league have more wins than vancouver 2 more are tied with us in wins at 30.

We have seen our team win 10 more games than we have seen them lose in regulation. Say we count the OTL/SOL with losses. We have 5 more wins than losses overall. Compared to the rest of our division.

Vancouver 30-25 +5

Vegas 28-28 even

Edmonton 28-26 +2
Arizona 27-29 -2

Calgary 27-28 -1

SJS LAK and ANA im not even going to bother with talking about.

Its been a monster turn around compared to last year for the Canucks. Last year we had a total of 35 wins after 82 games. We have 27 games to go and are already at 30 wins.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Seinfeld said:

Rookie coach, rookie GM, a vacant President of Hockey ops position. It seems like everyone's learning on the job and we as fans have suffered for nearly a decade because of it. 

Comments like these baffle me.  Are you seriously trying to say Green and Benning don't know hockey?

Also, if we are making wish-lists, can we add seam passes through the slot for back in tap in?  I'd love to see more of those too.  Easier said than done right

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Darius said:

yeah i would have no problem if they payed for his cap for a couple years if he plays with the edge we saw last night...but can we add another roughly 3 mill contract to the fourth line...

Yes that is the big question that Benning has to find the solution to... square peg in a round hole... 

So far he has been able to work the cap, so i have faith in him doing it again, if he choses to go down that route. And I hope he does... 

A player like Foligno only has another year on his contract, so he shouldn't be a problem once EP and QH have to extend their contracts. And maybe mean time we can draft/trade for  a similar type...

In saying the above, I don't follow Wild enough to know if this was a one off... (41 bouts suggests he does play with an edge regularly).

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Kole Lind is a pretty big boy, and he plays the right way.  He has a nasty edge to him too.  Love to see him get time with Petey. 

Think it may be too early for Lind this season, but agree... according to reports he plays with an edge, and that is encouraging...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Seinfeld said:

Green and co. suck. The coaching staff is going to be the downfall of this team. If you watch five minutes of any other competent team, you see how much of a priority puck possession and puck support with a player flanking the puck carrier when gaining the offensive zone is. Our goals don't come from controlled entries where the players are in unison, they come from haphazard, isolated plays.

Like why is Brandon effin Sutter on PP's top unit when you have Virtanen or Gaudette to choose from? How come there is no movement on the PP? Why do we let other teams gain our blue line so easily? Why are we always out shot? Why don't our players respond when our star player gets hurt? 

You don't put young players in uncomfortable situations. 

Remember, it takes a lot of practice to learn the roles and neither JV nor Gaud has been practising the Half-wall spot the way EP40 plays it. 

Because Miller has been playing in that unit for almost the entire season and he's a vet, he was their best option to resume EP40's role there. 

Our PP1 and PP2 play different systems. You just can't expect to plug JV or Gaud into a whole new system and expect them to perform. 

That is unfair to the players.

Do u think they enjoy being called up to PP1 without much warning/ practice and enjoy the glory/ praise that comes with it from the fans? 

No. They were not ready to fill in the role and Sutter was their best option to play the position down-low as he's a vet and probably knows the system, too.

And this way, they cause the least amount of disruption in their PP units as PP2 unit will be left untouched. 

Being moved upto PP1 doesnt even mean promotion in the sense that it's prolly only one game as EP40 will be back next game. 

They were 2 for 4 in PP last night. So Im not exactly sure why u're raging about it in ur post. 

3 hours ago, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:

JB signed him to a one way contract for 900k.  He is playing in the minors.  Not the NHL.  I’m sure he would have been moved already if an other team was interested.  That is a bad signing.  Luckily it’s only one year.  

A guy producing 44 points in 42 games in Utica and helping us win games and develop our team... Is dead weight? 

Not a penny counts towards the cap on his contract. You really might just hate Benning if u consider this a bad signing by him. 

You act like he's 2 mill dead cap space for us. Maybe you didn't know that he doesn't count against our cap? 

But even then, I'd give my head a shake if I was you. The kids doing incredible for us down in Utica and developing his talents. 

• Upvote 4

7 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

I did notice the Canucks played with way more grit yesterday than usual. Jake dropping the gloves and winning a fight, then he tried to go after someone else. Some of the Wild players were chuckling at him. This kid trying to protect his whole team lol Good on Jake for finding the courage. I also really liked MacEwen's heavy game. He's big and pretty fast, can hit and he doesn't seem afraid of anyone really. He also dropped the gloves and did okay. Even Markstrom threw a punch in a scuffle. But as nice as that was to see, this was the Wild. Not exactly an intimidating physical team. The Canucks need Ferland back, and maybe even one more big player. With what happened with Pettersson, I believe Benning is going to try and fix that problem right away. Still waiting for Bo to do captain things.

If tryamkin was here they wouldn’t be as cocky as they were night.  The Minnesota mild.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:

That's absurd.

One way contract means nothing - it simply means Goldobin makes 900k salary while playing in the AHL.

It has absolutely zero cap implications for the Canucks - anything under 950k does not apply when it's assigned to the AHL.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

Unfortunately Zac got rocked in that one although he threw well and was the victor initially. Good job though.

Mac beat that loser down bad.  Refs don’t jump in and it would have been stretcher time for the loser from Loserville.  And Jake beat down his loser.  Two beat downs.  Two losers getting beat down.  Loved it.  That’s hockey.  Beat down the losers. 

• Like 1