The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Gaudette + Stecher + 2nd for a Defenseman on a 1-2 year deal

I am not that high on Gaudette (think he is grossly overrated around here), but I am not for trading him and Stech for a d-man that is only gonna be around for 1 or 2 years. They are cheapish depth options that can be had for multiple years. If we are trading them it better be for someone we see being on this team beyond 3 years. We don't need rentals right now. We are a super young team still. 

• Cheers 1

40 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

How about we add some Centre's with size before we start subtracting? 

Right now we have, Petey (Injured), Bo, Gaudette, Sutter, and Beagle. Sutter is 30, and Beagle is 34. Long term those two aren't answers down the middle. 

That's over $7 million for two guys at 30 and over. Who are both gone in 2-3 years. 

We'd be better off trying to trade Sutter at the deadline. And keeping Gaudette.

Sutter has 11 points. Gaudette has 23. Gaudette is also 23 years old. 

We need to start moving pieces, that are replaceable. Not moving cheaper, and younger options. 

Basically we need Benning to start drafting with size, speed, character, grit, and skill. 

A well balanced team is what we are looking for. 

I agree with this BUT I think we should wait till the offseason to offload players at this point.  The the team show what it can do in a playoff round or two and then let the kids take more responsibility next year.  

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I'm confused...we let Sutter fill in for Gaudette when Gaudette has all but effectively replaced Sutter in his role

?

Huh?

A marginal downgrade at the 3rd line C spot (if you want to even call it that), for a huge upgrade in defense.  

No moves until the off season, also Gaudette appears to be a locker room fave.

Imagine what kind of negative impact it would have in the locker room if we moved him during the season.

1218018597_FORWARDTOGETHER.thumb.jpg.0e2988f2489720bc9a8624284234a9a0.jpg

7 minutes ago, DarkIndianRises said:

A marginal downgrade at the 3rd line C spot (if you want to even call it that), for a huge upgrade in defense.  

11 points vs. 23 points. It also means Bo has to work more minutes. 

And your team gets older. And you get rid of a guy who's 23, vs. a 30 year old. And will be 31 in 6 days.

Sorry trading young cheap assets to keep older assets, is not a good strategy. 

As I've said, the team is right now not in a position to trade.  Unless a deal falls in Benning's lap that's too good to pass up. 

54 minutes ago, Slegr said:

I know a hulking 6'7, 265 lbs defenseman who may be available just after the trade deadline. He might just do the trick.

It won't cost us Gaudette, but it might cost Gaudette his jersey number? 

why would you think that ?

gaud has 106 nhl games and counting

will be over 130 by seasons end

tryam has 79 nhl games and holding (he has not even played a full nhl season in terms of his game count)

he has no seniority in terms of number priority on this team

he lost that when he left

Edited by coastal.view
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, DarkIndianRises said:

Off topic, but my grandmother looks like George Foreman.

(S)he may look homely but like they say, the way to a man's heart is through his stomach ;)

Also wouldn't want to trade Gaudette at this point, he's already scoring at a top-6 rate and for cheap.

Edited by Phil_314

1 hour ago, coastal.view said:

tryam has 79 nhl games and holding (he has not even played a full nhl season in terms of his game count)

He doesn’t have seniority but he was the first to wear it and he’s 6’7” and 265 pounds.  So how exactly is Gaudette going to tell him he can’t have his number back?  I see Hockey Gaud switching to his old #8 from Northeastern when Tryamkin comes back.  I don’t see Tanev re-signing with the Canucks.

Edited by Elias Pettersson

I don’t have a problem trading Hockey Gaud as long as the package is right.  Tyler Madden is a stud, much better skater than Gaudette and much better defensively.  And he has his father’s genes as well.  John was a great two way centre in his day and I can see Tyler being the same type of player only with more speed and skill than his father.  Madden might be a better fit as a 3rd line centre than Gaudette.  

Not sure what defenceman is available.  Risto is an option, but he only has a couple years left on his contract.  I’d try and look at another defenceman who’s younger and cheaper who can play with Quinn.  I don’t see Tanev re-signing with us, especially if we re-sign Marky.  I do like Gaudette but feel that Madden is a better replacement long term.  But I could be wrong.  Time will tell.  You have to give to get, so getting another top 4 Dman who is young and cheap is going to cost us a very good prospect and roster player.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, coastal.view said:

I would think it because Tryamkin is half a foot and about 100 pounds bigger. 

(With Russian accent) "TrEe SqUiSh GaWd!"

• Wat 1

As it looks for next year,

Miller Pettersson Boeser

Pearson Horvat 

Ferland Sutter 

Roussell Beagle Eriksson 

Baertschi in Utica 

Virtanen, Bailey, MaCewan, Gaudette are RFA

Leivo UFA

Schaller UFA

Motte UFA

Hughes Myers 

Edler 

Benn Juolevi 

Stecher is an RFA

Tanev may be gone

Tryamkin may be back

Fantenberg is a UFA

Demko is signed for 1 more year

Marky is ufa

With the prospects in the system from the KHL to the WHL 

Podkolzin, Hoglander, Lind, Madden, Woo...

Players on the bubble..

Rafferty

Goldobin 

Macewan

The holes in the roster will probably be filled from the cupboards.

2 RW are needed

Likely 3 of the 4 RFA forwards are brought back, definitely Gaudette and Virtanen and one of MaCewan and Bailey, Lind is around too.

13th forward is needed

2 RHD are needed, this is a weakness if Tanev and Stecher are not brought back.

Even if Tryamkin and Juolevi make the the top 8 next year it's heavily LHD

Hughes Myers 

Edler Benn

Juolevi Rafferty 

Tryamkin 

Goaltending is a sticky situation, if marky agrees on short term extension to avoid the expansion draft it's not an issue, otherwise marky will likely be moved or go to UFA.

Then GMJB needs to sign a good 1b to support Demko as he gains experience.

To summarize everything: Let the kids grow, move out vets as needed, continue getting better, fill holes from within.

For next year the main targets are goaltending and a top 4 RHD at minimum.

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, DarkIndianRises said:

If the Canucks are to be buyers this year, I think they should consider a Gaudette + Stecher + 2nd rounder for a defenseman (which defenseman that may be, I’m not sure).

1) In the short term, Gaudette can easily be replaced by Sutter at center.   In the long term, Madden can replace Gaudette at center (for example - when Sutter’s contract runs out, the Canucks can simply walk away from Sutter and call up Madden).   Things are obviously not guaranteed to pan out that way, but I think the odds are strong enough to take a calculated risk.

2) Given our cap situation, the Canucks will likely have to walk away from Stecher anyways.  

Our defense for the playoffs would be quite strong.

Edler-NewGuy

Hughes-Tanev

Fantenberg-Myers

Benn

So - who is the #NewGuy?   I’m not sure Ristolainen?  Do you have any suggestions?

9 hours ago, Alflives said:

If this “New Guy” on D is Ristolainen then it’s a good deal for us.  I wonder if the Sabres might actually like this deal too?  They get a young centre to help take some of the burden off Eichel.  

9 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

That wouldn't be a terrible offer for Risto. Might have to add.

Ristolainen is horrible though.

• Wat 1

Gaudette has the potential to be the next Grabner-type trade away. He's got far too much potential, started the season a lock AHLer, ended up a lock on our 3rd line and I wouldn't be surprised if his skill gets him knocking on our top-6 next season.

Would only move Gaudette if it was for a solid young D man like Ristolainen or Montour...

17 hours ago, DarkIndianRises said:

If the Canucks are to be buyers this year, I think they should consider a Gaudette + Stecher + 2nd rounder for a defenseman (which defenseman that may be, I’m not sure).

1) In the short term, Gaudette can easily be replaced by Sutter at center.   In the long term, Madden can replace Gaudette at center (for example - when Sutter’s contract runs out, the Canucks can simply walk away from Sutter and call up Madden).   Things are obviously not guaranteed to pan out that way, but I think the odds are strong enough to take a calculated risk.

2) Given our cap situation, the Canucks will likely have to walk away from Stecher anyways.  

Our defense for the playoffs would be quite strong.

Edler-NewGuy

Hughes-Tanev

Fantenberg-Myers

Benn

So - who is the #NewGuy?   I’m not sure Ristolainen?  Do you have any suggestions?

Pretty sure Tryamkin will sign here in March. He was able to play a offensive and this year, a defensive role in Russia and performed in the top 3 in Vancouver in his rookie and only season, tops in fights, +/- and shutting down the opposition's best players. He never got pushed around. Adds "space" for the skill players and will be cheap. They should try to get him signed for Gudbranson money. He and Fantenberg make Tanev available for growing the future.

Stecher could be a throw in to move one of the elephant contracts, Stecher, retention and Eriksson for a bad contract in return and LTIR type deal although I am certain this loop hole will be closed next CBA. 

Stech and Guad for Risto would be a good deal, defense wins championships.