The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Gaudette + Stecher + 2nd for a Defenseman on a 1-2 year deal

17 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

He doesn’t have seniority but he was the first to wear it and he’s 6’7” and 265 pounds.  So how exactly is Gaudette going to tell him he can’t have his number back?  I see Hockey Gaud switching to his old #8 from Northeastern when Tryamkin comes back.  I don’t see Tanev re-signing with the Canucks.

he was the first to discard it as well

i get the humour in your post

but that is not how numbers are assigned

a player keeps his number

unless an established elite player comes to the team

tryam is not that category of player at all

he was a bottom tier dman who played less then 1 season worth of games

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Bess and Stencher fir Sammy and Risto.  Get er done JB!  And get a more Gallant coach.  

$&!# son!

Boeser and Stecher for Reinhart and Risto actually crossed my mind a few hours ago!  :o

It’s tempting for me, but I think I’d rather hold onto Boeser.   His father’s illness is obviously affecting Boeser and I don’t think it would look good on management’s part if they moved a popular teammate in Boeser.    That could really piss off our core players.   More times than not, we can’t just treat players like they are part of an assembly line.    Great teams and management treat their players like family.   Boeser is struggling emotionally right now and management and coaching need to give Boeser emotional encouragement and support during what I imagine to be trying times.

• Like 1

On 2/7/2020 at 5:50 PM, Alflives said:

Miller can play centre.  Podkolzin looks like he would be an excellent centre.  Keppen is playing centre now.  Focht is a centre.  Madden is a centre.  IMO we draft the BPA at the draft, regardless of position.  

For the time after Sutter and Beagle we have Petey, Bo, Gaud (unless we trade him) Miller, Podkolzin (who looks like a natural centre to me) and that group of young guys.  I’d trade Gaud for Risto because I think we need Risto more than we need Gaud. 

Makes good sense, we are loaded at center and you have to give to get

On 2/7/2020 at 8:11 PM, Ghostsof1915 said:

11 points vs. 23 points. It also means Bo has to work more minutes. 

And your team gets older. And you get rid of a guy who's 23, vs. a 30 year old. And will be 31 in 6 days.

Sorry trading young cheap assets to keep older assets, is not a good strategy. 

As I've said, the team is right now not in a position to trade.  Unless a deal falls in Benning's lap that's too good to pass up. 

Only talking about using Sutter maybe this year then bring another center up to fill the role of 3rd line center next season just like we did this year with Gaudette. Remember Sutters numbers are low because of the amount of games he's played thats what I'd be worried about more is can he stay healthy

Edited by Sbriggs

On 2/7/2020 at 8:18 PM, Slegr said:

I know a hulking 6'7, 265 lbs defenseman who may be available just after the trade deadline. He might just do the trick.

It won't cost us Gaudette, but it might cost Gaudette his jersey number? 

Not sure how effective he'll be, maybe a bottom 6 from what I've heard. We need top 4

Go after Manson or Lindholm for Stetcher, Gaudette and Woo with Ducks picking up salary for only this season as either player has 2 more years at 4.1 for Manson and 5.2 for Lindholm which will replace Tanev next year at an affordable price. 

Canucks are going to let Stetcher walk anyways as there are younger cheaper options for 6th defenseman in Utica, Gaudette can be replaced by Madden, Focht or Costmar and Woo is an acceptable loss with Rathbone, Juelovi are making the jump in the next few years. Prospects are also supposed to be used as ammunition to get a better player and not just horded until they flame out or have a breakout season. 

Edited by IjustNEEDaTROYgamble
  • Upvote 2

On ‎2‎/‎7‎/‎2020 at 4:52 PM, Alflives said:

If this “New Guy” on D is Ristolainen then it’s a good deal for us.  I wonder if the Sabres might actually like this deal too?  They get a young centre to help take some of the burden off Eichel.  

Why do you like Risto so much? He's not all that great defensively and hes only above average offensively.

On ‎2‎/‎8‎/‎2020 at 11:18 AM, Lazurus said:

Pretty sure Tryamkin will sign here in March. He was able to play a offensive and this year, a defensive role in Russia and performed in the top 3 in Vancouver in his rookie and only season, tops in fights, +/- and shutting down the opposition's best players. He never got pushed around. Adds "space" for the skill players and will be cheap. They should try to get him signed for Gudbranson money. He and Fantenberg make Tanev available for growing the future.

Stecher could be a throw in to move one of the elephant contracts, Stecher, retention and Eriksson for a bad contract in return and LTIR type deal although I am certain this loop hole will be closed next CBA. 

Stech and Guad for Risto would be a good deal, defense wins championships.

except Stetcher is better at defense than Risto is lol

19 hours ago, IjustNEEDaTROYgamble said:

Go after Manson or Lindholm for Stetcher, Gaudette and Woo with Ducks picking up salary for only this season as either player has 2 more years at 4.1 for Manson and 5.2 for Lindholm which will replace Tanev next year at an affordable price. 

Canucks are going to let Stetcher walk anyways as there are younger cheaper options for 6th defenseman in Utica, Gaudette can be replaced by Madden, Focht or Costmar and Woo is an acceptable loss with Rathbone, Juelovi are making the jump in the next few years. Prospects are also supposed to be used as ammunition to get a better player and not just horded until they flame out or have a breakout season. 

Oh man if we could get Lindholm in a Canucks Jersey..but barring an overpayment the Ducks never even consider it.

On 2/10/2020 at 8:35 PM, IjustNEEDaTROYgamble said:

I would cream my pants if the Ducks gave up Lindholm for that price, but I can’t see that happening.   Manson could definitely be had though.    He’s exactly what the Canucks need a lot of respects.   Very palpable cap hit for Manson as well.

7 hours ago, DarkIndianRises said:

I would cream my pants if the Ducks gave up Lindholm for that price, but I can’t see that happening.   Manson could definitely be had though.    He’s exactly what the Canucks need a lot of respects.   Very palpable cap hit for Manson as well.

We won’t get Lindholm for Stetcher, Guadette and Woo, there would have to be a high prospect like Juelevi or Lind and a 2nd or 3rd round pick for a Lindholm trade. But for Stetcher, Gaudette and Woo Canucks should be able to get Manson. Both guys have cap friendly deals for 2 more seasons and would be perfect to replace Tanev with.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Seannnp said:

Why do you like Risto so much? He's not all that great defensively and hes only above average offensively.

A younger, more physical right handed Edler. Right D is a pretty big weakness going forward unless we get really lucky with Woo. Risto would be a solid add for the right price.

On 2/7/2020 at 4:40 PM, DarkIndianRises said:

If the Canucks are to be buyers this year, I think they should consider a Gaudette + Stecher + 2nd rounder for a defenseman (which defenseman that may be, I’m not sure).

1) In the short term, Gaudette can easily be replaced by Sutter at center.   In the long term, Madden can replace Gaudette at center (for example - when Sutter’s contract runs out, the Canucks can simply walk away from Sutter and call up Madden).   Things are obviously not guaranteed to pan out that way, but I think the odds are strong enough to take a calculated risk.

2) Given our cap situation, the Canucks will likely have to walk away from Stecher anyways.  

Our defense for the playoffs would be quite strong.

Edler-NewGuy

Hughes-Tanev

Fantenberg-Myers

Benn

So - who is the #NewGuy?   I’m not sure Ristolainen?  Do you have any suggestions?

Tryamkin, Juolevi, trading Gaudette a year to soon to max out his value, new guy who would fit best maybe Petry, no idea of his value though..