The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

SEDIN WEEK

Rate this topic

redhdlois

What a great time to be a Canucks fan this week.

The Sedins deserve every minute of praise that has come their way. Such selfless positive individuals who truly have left their mark on the team.

An exciting team full of young stars in 1st place in the pacific that will only get better every year as they mature.

Our top 5 scorers are the youngest of all playoff positioned teams this year in which some credit should go to the coaching staff for letting this talent flourish while maintaining a competitive team that can win games against anyone, any night.

Regardling Kesler, rather than talking about what he did and shouldn't have done with the Canucks in the media for the last 2 weeks , maybe he should focus his energy's this week off of himself,  and on his two ex teammates that deserve a ton of credit for his career.

• Cheers 1

In that Athletic article the wing nut that wrote it claims Kesler was the second best centre to ever play for the Canucks, what an incredibley stupid and noobish thing to say. Was this written by Keslers agent? The second best centre in Vancouver's history............. Orland Kurtenbach, Thomas Gradin, Igor Larianov, Mats Sundin, Mark Messier, Cliff Ronning,.....yeah non of them could hold a candle to him. The guy that wrote that knows nothing about the Canucks. 

• Wat 2
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Monty said:

Ryan Kesler article in The Athletic about returning for Sedin tribute. Need a subscription to The Athletic to read it, but I’ve got ya covered:

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/theathletic.com/1595573/2020/02/11/am-i-sorry-about-the-way-things-went-down-100-percent-ryan-kesler-returns-to-vancouver-nervous-and-apologetic/%3famp

I'd like to start off saying that my viewpoint is that I am upset with the way Kesler left and I support booing him, however I do not want to see him booed tomorrow if he is announced. Just a warm applause and move on.

With that said, reading that article continues to show the selfish (and dare I say ignorant) side of him. He is hoping for sympathy for his situation and playing the victim card. I think he is just realizing that his playing time is coming to an end and he wants the fanfare while hoping everyone will just forgive and forget how he left us.

The points that stood out to me are that he is suggesting he will have his time ruined if he gets booed. So what? It's not his time, it's the Sedins'. He admittedly chose to play the villain and he is being treated as such. He wants to change the way he went about things and seemingly blaming his "discussion" with the team on how to word things despite the words coming out of his mouth. He suggests he wanted more anonymity for his family (fair enough), but apparently Anahiem and Chicago were the only teams that would provide this and not any other American city (I'm sure there were others in playoff contention at the time as well)?

Do I think he gave his all during his time here? Yes, but was it for the team or for himself? Lots of warning flags that he was always trying to take care of himself first and foremost and while partly it is reasonable, you cannot expect a fanbase to feel compassionate when there are clear examples of players who also gave it their all and didn't give us a bitter end. It's like eating/drinking something that tastes good, but leaves an awful lingering aftertaste. All people will remember is the aftertaste and likely aren't going to make that mistake again.

If he is truly apologetic, then I can forgive, but I won't forget.

• Cheers 3

I agreed with most you said, though the following I have slightly differing thoughts or just additions. 

7 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

reading that article continues to show the selfish (and dare I say ignorant) side of him

I actually do not see it that way. I mean, first and foremost, we’re all selfish people. That aside, I think what the article states (at least my interpretation) is that Kesler, like all of us, are complicated. Our situations and thoughts, especially regarding our careers and families are not black and white. I didn’t see it as selfish as much as the article can’t fully articulate how complicated his end in Vancouver was, and how deeply he cared about his time for the Canucks. One that had him both emotionally and physically spent by the time he left.

10 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

you cannot expect a fanbase to feel compassionate

For sure. Admittedly, I haven’t reread the article I posted more than once, so I’m not sure if he’s asking/expecting that. Though, if he is, then that’s just typical professional athlete/multimillionaire entertainer that lives in such a bubble that believes fans owe them anything, which we don’t.

12 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

If he is truly apologetic, then I can forgive, but I won't forget.

There’s a few lessons my father taught me which have stuck throughout my life, and this is the one he’s parroted the most. And to me, an important one to remember. I’ve forgiven many people in my life, most notably my brother. But that doesn’t mean I have any personal interest in opening myself up to expected mistreatment and the likelihood of being taken advantage of. 

In regards to Kesler? I mean, I don’t forgive or not forgive him. He’s a hockey player that doesn’t care about me, you, or anyone else he doesn’t relate (or ever has) to on a day to day basis. So, I don’t need to forgive or forget. He just “is”. Like all hockey players.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Monty said:

I agreed with most you said, though the following I have slightly differing thoughts or just additions. 

I actually do not see it that way. I mean, first and foremost, we’re all selfish people. That aside, I think what the article states (at least my interpretation) is that Kesler, like all of us, are complicated. Our situations and thoughts, especially regarding our careers and families are not black and white. I didn’t see it as selfish as much as the article can’t fully articulate how complicated his end in Vancouver was, and how deeply he cared about his time for the Canucks. One that had him both emotionally and physically spent by the time he left.

For sure. Admittedly, I haven’t reread the article I posted more than once, so I’m not sure if he’s asking/expecting that. Though, if he is, then that’s just typical professional athlete/multimillionaire entertainer that lives in such a bubble that believes fans owe them anything, which we don’t.

There’s a few lessons my father taught me which have stuck throughout my life, and this is the one he’s parroted the most. And to me, an important one to remember. I’ve forgiven many people in my life, most notably my brother. But that doesn’t mean I have any personal interest in opening myself up to expected mistreatment and the likelihood of being taken advantage of. 

In regards to Kesler? I mean, I don’t forgive or not forgive him. He’s a hockey player that doesn’t care about me, you, or anyone else he doesn’t relate (or ever has) to on a day to day basis. So, I don’t need to forgive or forget. He just “is”. Like all hockey players.

I absolutely agree with this.

I always wonder when people talk about being "proud" of hockey players.

Like Brock talking a young girl to prom, or _______ (pick any player) scoring a winning goal. I might feel admiration for that player, but not pride.

Pride I keep for my children or other family members, but I bare no responsibility, and therefore  no attachment to any of the accomplishments of any celebrity

• Cheers 3

For those going to the game tomorrow, and who are intent on booing Ryan Kesler, I'm curious about something.

What do you hope booing him will achieve? Will it add anything of worth to the pre-game ceremony?

Personally, I don't understand holding onto a grudge for 6 years regarding a player who requested a trade in line with what his clauses allowed. It was unfortunate in how it went down, but it was 6 years ago.

I can't see how that decision should erase what he did as a Canuck. Booing him tomorrow is a stupid idea. Much like the idea of Loouuing Luongo when he came back to Vancouver as a Panther. That was embarrassing.

• Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 2

4 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

For those going to the game tomorrow, and who are intent on booing Ryan Kesler, I'm curious about something.

What do you hope booing him will achieve? Will it add anything of worth to the pre-game ceremony?

Personally, I don't understand holding onto a grudge for 6 years regarding a player who requested a trade in line with what his clauses allowed. It was unfortunate in how it went down, but it was 6 years ago.

I can't see how that decision should erase what he did as a Canuck. Booing him tomorrow is a stupid idea. Much like the idea of Loouuing Luongo when he came back to Vancouver as a Panther. That was embarrassing.

To me, boos will detract from it. Its bringing something negative into what is supposed to be a purely positive event. There is no need for Debbie Downers. This shouldn't be a question of whether you do or do not like Kesler. It is a question of whether you do or do not like the Sedins. If you fit into the former category, you won't tarnish their day by booing a friend/teammate. If you fit into the latter category, rethink your life.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

To me, boos will detract from it. Its bringing something negative into what is supposed to be a purely positive event. There is no need for Debbie Downers. This shouldn't be a question of whether you do or do not like Kesler. It is a question of whether you do or do not like the Sedins. If you fit into the former category, you won't tarnish their day by booing a friend/teammate. If you fit into the latter category, rethink your life.

Exactly. What's the end goal for those who're intent on booing him? Teach him another lesson?

45 minutes ago, Monty said:

We all may have selfish motives, but some of us aren't as blatant about it. This Sedin week is a great example of it. There will be a entire night dedicated to their community work. The Sedins didn't seemingly show a selfish side of themselves to the public. Kesler was always treated amazingly here by fans and the organization during his time here. He's suggesting that we turned on him when in fact he turned his back on this city and now he's wondering why and feels hurt because fans are booing him after the way he left and all the actions that ensued.

I think he cares because it was a large portion of his life which I understand. He wishes to be acknowledged for this time though for his own self being. He sounds like he expects gratitude for his time. It just doesn't sound humble to me. At the end of the day, I've always said I've respected and enjoyed his time here (I even have a couple of Kesler shirts), but his legacy now is in how he left.

He talks about giving it his all here and is trying to say he's sorry for what he's done so that we will change our time towards him. I don't know if he expects cheers, but he certainly doesn't want the boos. I think there are plenty of millionaire athletes that don't act the way he does.

I get what you're saying here. Perhaps the forgiveness is also towards myself for the anger that I did feel towards him. I guess in some ways, many of us follow the Canucks and hockey for so many years that it's been almost engrained. They have become an extension of family to us as we learn and feel so many emotions towards them and the game.

3 minutes ago, Pazura92 said:

look who my cousin just met at Vancouver airport ,

Luongo here for tomorrow’s game ?

well that would be something. I wonder how many people are cranky about the recapture thing? Lu and Kesler tomorrow.... this thing might go off the rails :lol:

• Haha 3

13 hours ago, Schneider.Man604 said:

knowing Vancouver... you just never know. I was born and raised here. I know the ugly side this city can put on if they have/want to.

Meh, I’d bet most the people at the game will have any clue about Kesler, they’re just there to be trendy. The few real hockey fans there for the Sedins will not spoil it by booing, all should be good.

Personally I loved Kesler as a Canuck, was sad he left but understood why he did.