The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

SEDIN WEEK

Rate this topic

redhdlois

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Riot #3

You're a real fan of Canucks fans aren't you? 

43 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

For those going to the game tomorrow, and who are intent on booing Ryan Kesler, I'm curious about something.

What do you hope booing him will achieve? Will it add anything of worth to the pre-game ceremony?

Personally, I don't understand holding onto a grudge for 6 years regarding a player who requested a trade in line with what his clauses allowed. It was unfortunate in how it went down, but it was 6 years ago.

I can't see how that decision should erase what he did as a Canuck. Booing him tomorrow is a stupid idea. Much like the idea of Loouuing Luongo when he came back to Vancouver as a Panther. That was embarrassing.

So much worrying about something that won't happen. This is more about people that love Kesler more than their own team. It actually bothered you when they boo'd Kesler when he played for the Ducks? If you're embarrassed about Hockey fans in your city giving the Bronx cheer to players that asked for it, THATS embarrassing.Who cares what Kesler did for the Canucks, that's what he was paid to do. He demanded a trade then trolled us in the same division. I don't remember him fighting every tough guy in the league like Derek Dorsett. Kesler deserves about a 10th the amount of respect Dorsett does.

• Wat 1

4 minutes ago, Timbermen said:

You're a real fan of Canucks fans aren't you? 

Yes. And you're not. At all. Only I am.

So much worrying about something that won't happen. This is more about people that love Kesler more than their own team. It actually bothered you when they boo'd Kesler when he played for the Ducks? If you're embarrassed about Hockey fans in your city giving the Bronx cheer to players that asked for it, THATS embarrassing

No, you're embarrassing.

.Who cares what Kesler did for the Canucks, that's what he was paid to do. He demanded a trade then trolled us in the same division. I don't remember him fighting every tough guy in the league like Derek Dorsett. Kesler deserves about a 10th the amount of respect Dorsett does.

I lot of people did, and still do. He was an excellent player for the team. Sorry to rain on your parade of whimsy and despair. Kesler went toe to toe with Iginla, so I'd say he's tough enough.

• Cheers 1

Not gonna lie, I'm still pretty damn salty about how Kesler left. Not for wanting out, but for handcuffing us in the way he did, which potentially nerfed our rebuild before it even got started. I don't think I can forgive that quite yet, even if he was a warrior for us.

That being said, tomorrow night is about the Sedins, and any booing would just detract from a moment that they most definitely deserve. I don't give a flying farg about disrespecting Kesler, but it would be disrespectful to the twins to take away from their moment. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Yes. And you're not. At all. Only I am.

No, you're embarrassing.

I lot of people did, and still do. He was an excellent player for the team. Sorry to rain on your parade of whimsy and despair. Kesler went toe to toe with Iginla, so I'd say he's tough enough.

Ok, he was tough but you act like he's a cripple from all the great things he's done for Canucks fans, the only one that matters is the final one. Flipping us the bird and continuing to from Anaheim, now that his career's over and he see's the treatment of ex-players he wants back in. If he just apologized instead of blaming it on the organization and fans that he turned his back on, it would have been better. A lot of people identify with this selfish garbage, trade me to a good team while leaving yours in shambles because of it, but don't boo me. He acts like he the fans chased him out, what a load of BS, he asked for a trade and added on to the bleeding that Luongo started.

Edited by Timbermen

About the only thing I don't want to see tomorrow night is Duncan Keith handing out any kind of a gift to the Sedin's, period! That's if the Hawks are going to be any part of the evening ceremonies. This is the twins night, so all of you that think it's going to be cool to give Kesler the gears, why bother going? He might have been more than a bit selfish in doing what he did, but, it's water under the bridge, lets enjoy the night. Daniel and Henrik deserve that! Look at the glow on Brian Burke's face last evening, I don't think anyone was more happy to be there than he was, and I can't stand the man.

Edited by johngould21

38 minutes ago, Timbermen said:

Ok, he was tough but you act like he's a cripple from all the great things he's done for Canucks fans, the only one that matters is the final one.

To you, sure. Those ten years he was on the team, he gave his all and played for his team. The way he left is just that. The way people cling on to the bitter stuff makes no sense. What’s the point?

Flipping us the bird and continuing to from Anaheim, now that his career's over and he see's the treatment of ex-players he wants back in. If he just apologized instead of blaming it on the organization and fans that he turned his back on, it would have been better.

He had a no trade clause in his contract, and he used it. 

A lot of people identify with this selfish garbage, trade me to a good team while leaving yours in shambles because of it, but don't boo me.

He wanted a legitimate chance to win. He took it. Simple as that. 

He acts like he the fans chased him out, what a load of BS, he asked for a trade and added on to the bleeding that Luongo started. They had their laugh now they can ^&&^& off.

He’s never alluded to that at all. He chose to leave and said as much. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, KnuckleHead16 said:

Sedins should come out of retirement tomorrow. instead of retiring lol surprise us all! that would be ABSOLUTELY SICK! They would tear it up still lolol wishful thinking lol. Let’s start a petition! Haha! 

I was thinking about that last night while watching the game.   Why don’t the Canucks sign them to a one day contract and let them play a shift tomorrow night.......however....back to reality lol

11 hours ago, theo5789 said:

I'd like to start off saying that my viewpoint is that I am upset with the way Kesler left and I support booing him, however I do not want to see him booed tomorrow if he is announced. Just a warm applause and move on.

With that said, reading that article continues to show the selfish (and dare I say ignorant) side of him. He is hoping for sympathy for his situation and playing the victim card. I think he is just realizing that his playing time is coming to an end and he wants the fanfare while hoping everyone will just forgive and forget how he left us.

The points that stood out to me are that he is suggesting he will have his time ruined if he gets booed. So what? It's not his time, it's the Sedins'. He admittedly chose to play the villain and he is being treated as such. He wants to change the way he went about things and seemingly blaming his "discussion" with the team on how to word things despite the words coming out of his mouth. He suggests he wanted more anonymity for his family (fair enough), but apparently Anahiem and Chicago were the only teams that would provide this and not any other American city (I'm sure there were others in playoff contention at the time as well)?

Do I think he gave his all during his time here? Yes, but was it for the team or for himself? Lots of warning flags that he was always trying to take care of himself first and foremost and while partly it is reasonable, you cannot expect a fanbase to feel compassionate when there are clear examples of players who also gave it their all and didn't give us a bitter end. It's like eating/drinking something that tastes good, but leaves an awful lingering aftertaste. All people will remember is the aftertaste and likely aren't going to make that mistake again.

If he is truly apologetic, then I can forgive, but I won't forget.

Exactly how I feel about it all...

actually wrote an almost carbon copy of your post, but deleted it, as didn’t want to make it a Kesler thread during Sedin week. 

Kesler is about to retire, and nobody in Anaheim will remember him, once he does. 
The only place he will be remembered for his hockey, is in Vancouver, by the fans, who he let down.
Fair on him for thinking of no. 1 only,  but to come back and play the victim leading up to Sedin week is poor.

And just for the record, I wanted Kesler to be captain of this team....  so yeah, I’m still a little uneasy with the way he tied Bennings hand on his departure, as well as his behaviour towards the fans afterwards.

But I guess time heals (unless your name is Messier), and eventually it will only be his passion, competitiveness and shear will to win, that will be remembered, as he was without doubt L the engine of the team and a real warrior on the ice....but enough about Kesler. 

Lets go Hank and Danny.... you were the model pros in the world of hickey  Thank you both for the memories. 

Edited by spook007
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

At the risk of getting hammered with a boatload of confused faces, I’m kind of annoyed with how Linden has been handling his interviews. The media here are bloodhounds, and nobody knows this better than Trevor. The fact that he name dropped Green and Bracket and purposely left out Benning when he could have just said the coaching staff and management, or how he said he had “mixed emotions” coming back. It seems like he’s trying to stir the pot a bit imho. 

Flame away.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

At the risk of getting hammered with a boatload of confused faces, I’m kind of annoyed with how Linden has been handling his interviews. The media here are bloodhounds, and nobody knows this better than Trevor. The fact that he name dropped Green and Bracket and purposely left out Benning when he could have just said the coaching staff and management, or how he said he had “mixed emotions” coming back. It seems like he’s trying to stir the pot a bit imho. 

Flame away.

I gave you a beer (even though it is only 745am) instead of a confused face

I get what you are saying, but I think that is just who TL is. He has always been open and speaks honestly....however, even he knows now is not the time to throw people under the bus. He can't not answer the question, and it's just not in his DNA to tell a half truth of "coaching staff and management" - I think for people with that personality type, he would feel that he was showing disrespect to Green and Bracket personally. 

Same with the mixed emotions - just open and transparent TL. Even if he didn't say it, it seemed to me that he was experiencing that during the on-ice ceremony on Monday night.

I am actually surprised at how much more attention has been on Kesler than Linden this week

Looking forward to the festivities tonight!

Come all the way from the UK for Sedin week!!!

Should be a great night and having now come over for the last 8 years the wife and I just thought we cannot miss this special night. What great players they were. Hope all attending and watching tonight on tv have a great time. 

Go Sedins Go

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

6 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Flame away.

I totally agree, Linden has always been a fan favourite, but I found the other night ,he acted standoffish and rude.  it was actually embarrassing!

• Cheers 1