The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Calgary Flames at Vancouver Canucks | Feb. 08, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

I think Green purposely kept MacEwan off against Boston and Calgary so he could make an example to Management that he needs tougher players. I expect to see a trade come deadline day for some toughness..

I would love to see us get Ross Johnston from NYI. He is top 3 toughest guys in the league

1 hour ago, bad alice french said:

Petey has to toughen up bud. He is starting to come across as a little whiney now. If he gets that label players will tee off on him left right and center. He is still young and underdeveloped physically. Not quite  built like a pro player yet. He’ll get there but he answer to this test right now and continue to evolve as a player. He can’t expect this team to start abandoning structure and taking stupid penalties because he is taking the odd hack and slash. Such a big deal being made over that hit the other night. He made a pass and admired it. It wasn’t  open house or blindsided. Yes it was late probably deserved a penalty but I didn’t see it as a malicious play at all. Granted this team seriously lacks tough attitude and identity. But the players on this team just aren’t like that.

Give me a break....how stupid...

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Darkstar said:

There's something wrong with Brock Boeser. He's been getting progressively worse since his rookie season. 

Maybe some of it has to do with his family health situation. Can't be easy knowing that your dad's health is failing and you can't be there with him. They seem like a very close family.

3 hours ago, bad alice french said:

Petey has to toughen up bud. He is starting to come across as a little whiney now. If he gets that label players will tee off on him left right and center. He is still young and underdeveloped physically. Not quite  built like a pro player yet. He’ll get there but he answer to this test right now and continue to evolve as a player. He can’t expect this team to start abandoning structure and taking stupid penalties because he is taking the odd hack and slash. Such a big deal being made over that hit the other night. He made a pass and admired it. It wasn’t  open house or blindsided. Yes it was late probably deserved a penalty but I didn’t see it as a malicious play at all. Granted this team seriously lacks tough attitude and identity. But the players on this team just aren’t like that.

Ahahahaha ahahaha thanks for posting. 

3 hours ago, canuck2288 said:

Yeah what’s to worry about?

only lost 3 in a row and waxed in the latest game by a division rival

no worries at all 

Just be thankful that we play in a weak *** division, where we can go on a little slide and still be in first place. 

“Forget about your worries and your strife“ - Baloo

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Dumb Nuck said:

So what, half the teams are, sad thing, we’re not a contender YET.

FIFY....

How many, bar apollo thought we'd be winning the cup this season, prior to first puck drop of the season. 

Target was to try and react the play offs... so far we are still ob target for that... a few poor games doesn't change that.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

To go along with our fore-checking pressure that we are supposed to have, how many good hits do we deliver on their Defence???????

Our defence get pounded time and time again but our forwards prefer to blow snow intstead.

Bantam Boys lay more hits, come on boys, hit them repeatedly, make them know they are gonna get nailed. FFS

on to the next game

Go Canucks Go

5 hours ago, 'NucK™ said:

Dude... Tkturtle goaded him into a fight at the absolute PERFECT time for Calgary.

I love JT but he's gotta think for 2 seconds there..

Turtle was gonna take a run at EP40. 

If things were said of that sort, I don't blame Miller dropping em. 

Sure it was a bad time but under such circumstances, gotta protect our boy. 

1 hour ago, spook007 said:

FIFY....

How many, bar apollo thought we'd be winning the cup this season, prior to first puck drop of the season. 

Target was to try and react the play offs... so far we are still ob target for that... a few poor games doesn't change that.

A few poor games is literally the difference between making it and not making it 

• Thanks 1

There are so many red flags with this coaching staff and the Green lovers just totally ignore them and flag anyone that dare challenge or question him as trolls. People blames our results on being on the road, playing games back to back etc 

many on here, including me, have been waiving the warning flag about the lack of system we are playing with. We all said that when the stellar goaltending stops winning games alone that our luck will turn

this coaching staff is our issue 

don’t forget that it’s Green’s choice who plays in the starting lineup. It’s his choice to play plugs Schaller, Loui and Sutter

What makes it even worse is Green coaches in a soft wussy manner that exposes our stars 

get Gallant....please get Gallant 

we already lost out on DeBoer 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

I thought Green’s post game was bang on. Peter didn’t see anything less than he will come playoffs. It is about developing a mental toughness that can deal with playoff hockey. Look at the process Johnny Hockey has gone through. CUP play is a different game. No calls. Peter and Hughes will be on the hit list. Ultimately they have to find a way to deal with it. 

What I didn’t see last night was the Canucks playing a heavy enough game against the Flamers. Their talent isn’t going to win every game. They can play a grittier game but didn’t last night. Is it just me or was the puck jumping around a lot more than usual? Curious how NHL players rate Rogers ice?

Canucks are in a playoff drive which limits the opportunity to get fresh faces into the lineup. That said MacEwan and Bailey should get some games. This isn’t about deserving it. It is about evaluating and prep for playoffs if they are needed. Sit Schaller and yes Eriksson.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, spook007 said:

FIFY....

No doubt lol. This board is filled with adolescent spaz outs. Yeah we played like crap, Petterson was bad tonight, and we didn't have a lot of push back. Roussel is hurting, Beagle is hurting, and Schaller is ineffective. The reality is that without Ferland we are a team without much snarl. We have mostly young players who are fighting their way in this league. We also have a 23 year old 3rd line center who provides no relief here. In addition our other veterans on D in Edler, Tanev, and Myers (Stetcher) are pretty much useless there.

We were projected to be a bubble playoff team and here we are in first place neck and neck fighting for the playoffs with 26 games left to figure it out. People flying off the handle, screaming for Green's head, calling out every other Canuck, and desperately trading for Lucic should open up the hatches and take a huuuuuuge dose of reality. It's one game, this is hockey. Time to accept that these things happen to every team, every year, and move on to the next one.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 3

3 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

No doubt lol. This board is filled with adolescent spaz outs. Yeah we played like crap, Petterson was bad tonight, and we didn't have a lot of push back. Roussel is hurting, Beagle is hurting, and Schaller is ineffective. The reality is that without Ferland we are a team without much snarl. We have mostly young players who are fighting their way in this league. We also have a 23 year old 3rd line center who provides no relief here.

We were projected to be a bubble playoff team and here we are in first place neck and neck fighting for the playoffs with 26 games left to figure it out. People flying off the handle, screaming for Green's head, calling out every other Canuck, and desperately trading for Lucic should open up the hatches and take a huuuuuuge dose of reality. It's one game, this is hockey. Time to accept that these things happen to every team, every year, and move on to the next one.

Some ironing here 

5 hours ago, Canadian said:

Agreed. I knew this team would tumble as soon as Motte got injured, just like earlier in the season. He brings so much energy - and physicality to the 4th line.

Beagle and Sutter are both very similar, good at FOs and PK, but not playing physical. Beagle is hurting and Sutter is playing to not get hurt.

Eriksson and Schaller bring nothing these days and should be long gone.

No idea what Roussel’s problem is these days, but he’s steps behind hits and not playing like he did last year. Could be the knee is still bothering him, or slowing him down.

Bring in some young guys who are hungry, and energetic to play in the NHL. Guys who will want to hit anything that moves. Guys who want to earn a spot here. They will make mistakes, but I’d rather have a young guy who fights to be here than guys coasting around.

These stretch games are going to be physical, and we don’t have anyone stepping up to the plate. I was embarrassed to see Myers lose the puck battle at the end of the game to Lucic - someone historically noted for bad foot speed. Benny was caught out of position a bunch tonight, and it was evident why he was out for such a long stretch. Bring in Brisebois, bring in Rafferty, bring up Lind. Spark some emotion in this team and make these older guys feel some heat. Eriksson and Schaller have been gifted spots this year and have never been sat out in replacement of young AHL call-ups. Change that!

I've been saying it over the past win streak, we need a forecheck. When your third and fourth lines play more in their own end than they do the other side, they're not helping unless they are scoring goals. They have terrible statistics for possession because they don't forecheck. Most of their shifts are defend, get it out and then dump it in and change. That hurts the defense, doesn't swing momentum the other way. When is the last time we've looked at Sutter's line and gone, "Wow, what a great shift!"? 

I think 50% of the teams' problems would go away if we implemented a physical presence on the forecheck. It's so huge in the sport and we lose pretty much every game that we don't have a good one. 

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

I think Green purposely kept MacEwan off against Boston and Calgary so he could make an example to Management that he needs tougher players. I expect to see a trade come deadline day for some toughness..

I would love to see us get Ross Johnston from NYI. He is top 3 toughest guys in the league

Green is too conservative and always go with a safe choice.

He could play Demko against Minny. 

With fresh Marky in net Canucks could win yesterday.

I think Green's  personality has a negative effect on the team.