The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Calgary Flames at Vancouver Canucks | Feb. 08, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

9 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Wow, how predictable.  We haven't won a game for a week or so and the fire Green the coaching staff is crap crowd is back in earnest.   Green sucks - half the players suck - Markstrom is a sieve let's trade him while we can, we should tank for Lafrenniere the sky is falling all hope is lost blah blah blah.   It's a young team.  It's overachieved to a certain degree this year and it's putting strange ideas into people heads like a different coach will win us the cup or something.  Our defense isn't there yet, our core isn't there yet - it's going to take patience.    It's hockey and you never do know - but why not given these guys a break as fans and a little faith they can get another winning streak going?  I'll admit they are a little Jekyll and Hyde and don't know what team will show up on any given night - but not much more then most other teams chasing a spot right now in our division especially.   Should they all change coaches too?  Oh yeah two already have ha ha ...

I believe this is a coach job to establish an identity of the team , is it not? If nobody knows which team will show up - that means a coach does not doing its job.

I think this current slump is mostly due to fatigue . And I think Green's decision do not rotate players after game 3 of the road trip has something to do with that situation we are in.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Silent Man said:

I believe this is a coach job to establish an identity of the team , is it not? If nobody knows which team will show up - that means a coach does not doing its job.

I think this current slump is mostly due to fatigue . And I think Green's decision do not rotate players after game 3 of the road trip has something to do with that situation we are in.

Yeah, they did look tired closer to the end of the road trip (although the compete level seemed high).

Edited by ShawnAntoski

1 hour ago, MikeyD said:

He's gone from a bad coach to a great coach and to a bad coach so many times this season, lol. Nobody can make up their minds. They just see wins and losses and go with that haha

The frustrating thing is how many times can you add a a true complete win?

outplayed, played well defensively, played well offensively, good special teams, full team effort?

not many 

huge red flag 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

I thought Green’s post game was bang on. Peter didn’t see anything less than he will come playoffs. It is about developing a mental toughness that can deal with playoff hockey. Look at the process Johnny Hockey has gone through. CUP play is a different game. No calls. Peter and Hughes will be on the hit list. Ultimately they have to find a way to deal with it. 

What I didn’t see last night was the Canucks playing a heavy enough game against the Flamers. Their talent isn’t going to win every game. They can play a grittier game but didn’t last night. Is it just me or was the puck jumping around a lot more than usual? Curious how NHL players rate Rogers ice?

Canucks are in a playoff drive which limits the opportunity to get fresh faces into the lineup. That said MacEwan and Bailey should get some games. This isn’t about deserving it. It is about evaluating and prep for playoffs if they are needed. Sit Schaller and yes Eriksson.

That’s the issue 

Green isn’t dealing with it and it’s costing us injuries 

and yes we will see even more of it in the imaginary playoffs he won’t get us to, so fix the issue and show a response Green you dumba$$

21 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Wow, how predictable.  We haven't won a game for a week or so and the fire Green the coaching staff is crap crowd is back in earnest.   Green sucks - half the players suck - Markstrom is a sieve let's trade him while we can, we should tank for Lafrenniere the sky is falling all hope is lost blah blah blah.   It's a young team.  It's overachieved to a certain degree this year and it's putting strange ideas into people heads like a different coach will win us the cup or something.  Our defense isn't there yet, our core isn't there yet - it's going to take patience.    It's hockey and you never do know - but why not given these guys a break as fans and a little faith they can get another winning streak going?  I'll admit they are a little Jekyll and Hyde and don't know what team will show up on any given night - but not much more then most other teams chasing a spot right now in our division especially.   Should they all change coaches too?  Oh yeah two already have ha ha ...

The day most of the roster tunes Green out there will be a problem. Not close to being there. You are bang on. It is a process and that is measured in years not months. Green and Benning know that.

• Cheers 2

Honestly I just open up CDC now in hopes of seeing fire Green threads cause they make me laugh. Then I end up in the proposal section for some reason and wish I never opened CDC. Rough game, rough stretch. Not really a surprise to people that knew even when we were winning it wasn't really a full team effort kind of win. This is a good team, but still have some growing to do. Hoping we get into the playoffs, will be the best learning experience for the young guys.

• Huggy Bear 1

7 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

I think Green purposely kept MacEwan off against Boston and Calgary so he could make an example to Management that he needs tougher players. I expect to see a trade come deadline day for some toughness..

I would love to see us get Ross Johnston from NYI. He is top 3 toughest guys in the league

Just looked up Ross Johnston on DB and YouTubed his hockey fights. His pic on hockey DB looks like it would scare the other team more than our whole live roster lol 

25 yrs old 6’5” 235 ... has guys like Wilson looking scared.  

looks like he can put up a few points too.  Not great but not so bad for fourth liner.

what would it take... 

edit:  thinking about this further.

backlund inflicted more than one cheap hit on EP last night.  You don’t need A guy like Ross Johnston to answer( although it would be nice to have him on the roster) 

imagine the uplift our team would get if our captain went out there and challenged the puke on the next shift. 

Edited by Darius
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

At one point on the PP Myers did a drop pass to Gaudette that was nowhere close to him, at the NhL level you cannot make those mistakes.  Although it was one play it was indicative of how the whole game went and somehow people fault Brown and Green for that.  Miller should be captain.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bad alice french said:

Petey has to toughen up bud. He is starting to come across as a little whiney now. If he gets that label players will tee off on him left right and center. He is still young and underdeveloped physically. Not quite  built like a pro player yet. He’ll get there but he answer to this test right now and continue to evolve as a player. He can’t expect this team to start abandoning structure and taking stupid penalties because he is taking the odd hack and slash. Such a big deal being made over that hit the other night. He made a pass and admired it. It wasn’t  open house or blindsided. Yes it was late probably deserved a penalty but I didn’t see it as a malicious play at all. Granted this team seriously lacks tough attitude and identity. But the players on this team just aren’t like that.

Petey is not the whiney one!!!

4 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

imo, we should fire the stick boy. he’s the fault for every loss.  we deffinately can’t credit the opposition for outplaying us, or that we just didn’t have enough energy some games.  you can’t find good stick boys anymore.

What's your deal? Are you happy with the teams performance? Did you have fun watching the last 4 games? This is a discussion board in case you forgot. Things are broken on this team and we're discussing possible solutions. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

imo, we should fire the stick boy. he’s the fault for every loss.  we deffinately can’t credit the opposition for outplaying us, or that we just didn’t have enough energy some games.  you can’t find good stick boys anymore.

I agree Joe and the hot dog guy brought me a dog but no mustard and my beer was flat. Fire them all.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Not time to panic, still 20+ games left.

9 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Sure, you obviously, missed what my point is.  Just as you stated (paraphrasing), to get better they have to play the games; this is the first year this team (both players and staff) are playing meaningful games this late in the season.  Unless, you are a pshycic, all your doing is projecting and with hindsight pointing out flaws (I see them do - the lack of bite).  Everyteam has there flaws and every team experiences there ups/downs. 

My point:  pro sports is about adjustments, the last winning streak gave them some room and for this core to continue to get better they have to go through stretches of winning/losing - adversity.  Imo, it matters more how they come out as a group (both players and coaches) from stretches like these (the last losing streak, rocketed them to the top of a very competitive Pacific ,but who knows where they come out after this).  Also, I hope they still get into the playoffs and play a very tough team cause that experience should only strengthen the core/team moving forward and if not, then JB - should - have a very busy offseason.  I want to see the character of this team (especially, the core players and leaders). 

I do agree, that there is no room for, 'participation trophy' in competitive pro sports.

You did not say any of that in your original post. In fact you cannot say all of that in your original post lol. 

And don't paraphrase my post. Unless you do it correctly. My paraphrase of my post is. We are gonna play these teams and lose we need to understand why we lost. As we will meet them in the POs. 

What is this 2nd post...? What you did in your 1st post is dismiss all our concerns. You make seem as though the number of games remaining is all that mattered. Then you make this post, basically regurgitating what everyone else posted past your original post.