The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Calgary Flames at Vancouver Canucks | Feb. 08, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

Petey's "lingering issue" is a lack of teammates with balls.

Miller has them. As does Markstrom. And Benn. Edler was looking to hit people last night, but seemed slow. Virtanen is solid too. 

The rest are pretty lacklustre though, I agree. 

3 minutes ago, Silent Man said:

Yes, it is the league responsibility to create a schedule and the team management knew what was coming. So, why didn't inject some guys from the farm in a line up and give some guys a rest.? Why didn't give Demko more starts?

I have no idea why Green would not have played Demko for the last game of a long arduous road trip, especially knowing we had Calgary next up at home. And doubley odd since this was the season that for sure for sure the plan was to ease Marky's load, keep him fresher for the playoffs, and conversely give Demko valuable experience, if only to evaluate if it would be viable to trade Marky this summer. 

One small set of mistakes like that can help push this team into a tailspin.  Because now Green will feel he HAS to play Marky more to cover up his mistakes, and risk really overplaying him to the point of, knock on wood, injury, and on the other hand, keeping Demko rusty if he suddenly has to take the full load for awhile.

It also affects player management. What if Marky convinces Canucks that he has proved himself, and they sign him to a multi year deal. Then, good luck trading Demko if this kind sparse usage continues, and he isn't seen as proven yet.  I don't get it. It would make sense on a lot of teams to sit the backup, but we are in a unique, enviable situation, that a lot of teams are not in.  We have a great backup and so have the potential of mixing it up, and always having fresh competent goaltending for the season,  Once the playoffs start for us, if they do,  we can always sit Demko then.

• Cheers 3

2 hours ago, You Mad Bro? said:

I didn’t mean so he could fight. Squats and deadlift will make him so much better at staying on his feet and protecting the puck. Crosby has tree trunk legs and no one is better on their edges and protecting the puck low then him. I know Petey’s game is more skill than strength, but I feel more lower body strength would do wonders for him. Just my 2cents 

I agree, that EP40 should keep his glove on but perhaps ever so often bite back hard like Crosby, OV,  McDavid (once/twice, if I remembered correctly) and so on, just to send a message to other teams and also to his, teammates that he will stick up for them as well.  The games will get nasty from here, especially, in the competitive Pacific with so many teams so close to each other and the playoffs - it is even nastier.   Imo, if his teammates can see that he will stick up for himself and them, then perhaps the pedestrian veterans (as stated by another poster) will take notice.  Ofcourse, we don't know what kind of conversation(s) are going on from within the locker room cause (if we notice it) they also have to be aware of this too ?

Edited by ShawnAntoski

16 hours ago, Darius said:

What’s roussel doing for the team?  You can bring in one of the Utica guys to do the Same.   He used to be such a pest in Dallas.  TDL fodder.  Bring im Mac or some other deserving guy from Utica 

remember when we didn't own our own AHL team?

The story went, if we own our own team then guys come up ready to play.

Now we own our own team and Travis can't find a reason to play a guy from the minors unless there is an injury.

I guess the guys on the farm are not learning our system without sitting in an NHL press box for 10 games minimum

@PhillipBlunt damn, didnt expect you to go go all Canuckistani on me.

10 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

the powerplay is listless regardless of where they are in the league. 

It's an area that needs to improve no doubt if they want to give themselves a winning chance.  I dont see scapegoating/replacing the coaching staff though as particularly productive though.  I dont consider it to be an X&O's type of problem.

11 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Players bear responsibility, but those who draft up the systems they run have equal responsibility. It would be a hell of a lot easier to deal with these losses if the team  kept their stars safe. 

Can you give me something more substantive about how the Canucks in particular are a flawed team in terms of their systems?  This always seems to come up, but is always so general.

15 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Telling other fans how to be one? Great. 

Well fans do have a tendency to make a mountain out of a molehill.  Im saying just simmer down/relax and enjoy it.

18 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Not sure if you’re noticing, but this team doesn’t really respond very well to being pushed around

Sure.  It's not a team that collectively can ramp up the physicality, but if you want more after the whistle shenanigans, a strong case can be made for why that can be detrimental as well.  Fact is, guys like Backlund that take cheap shots at Petey are always going to be there and these guys will never answer the bell.  Never.  Gooning them is just going to result in more penalties. 

I know what youre saying though.  Ramping up the physicality in games like the one last night though would be good.  The roster though, imo, cant be tweaked that much right now.   Other than Miller and Edler, there arnt too many guys who can play a mean, imposing game.  

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, 6string said:

Pissed me off to see Miller being risked in a scrap to establish a team presence, wtf!!!!

i mentioned this in the last pgt,

this team does not have the mentality to play a tough game.

Beagle and maybe Miller are the only players that might get a match lit under them with a hit or a fight,

everyone else goes into a coma when things get rough.

Jake fought last game, where was he the rest of the Wild game and last night?

this has not changed since the Sedin era.

People said, "We need to answer for Sedin abuse" 

If a Canuck gets in a fight, the rest of the team goes into a coma, nothing has changed in 8-10 years.

they said Tkachuk "dragged" his team into the game, there is just no dragging this team into a game, ever.

Maybe benching MacEwen after his fight sends the message that Travis wants no part of it, but I doubt it.

This team is just soft to the core/from the core

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

@PhillipBlunt damn, didnt expect you to go go all Canuckistani on me.

Not really concerned with your expectations. 

It's an area that needs to improve no doubt if they want to give themselves a winning chance.  I dont see scapegoating/replacing the coaching staff though as particularly productive though.

So Newell Brown is running the powerplay well? Is there conversion rate that of a successful powerplay? 

I dont consider it to be an X&O's type of problem.

Than what is it?

Can you give me something more substantive about how the Canucks in particular are a flawed team in terms of their systems?  This always seems to come up, but is always so general.

Have you watched the defense in their own end? They’re scrambling to contain the puck let alone clear it most nights. The passive box system is hemmed in by an aggressive forecheck. Hughes and Tanev are a solid paring that manages to calmly manage the puck, but the other two pairings aren’t working very well. 

Well fans do have a tendency to make a mountain out of a molehill.

Not always. 

Im saying just simmer down/relax and enjoy it.

Again, telling a fan how to be one is so pretentious. You manage your fan hood, let others manage theirs. 

Sure.  It's not a team that collectively can ramp up the physicality, but if you want more after the whistle shenanigans, a strong case can be made for why that can be detrimental as well. 

Again, it’s not just about general physical play, as much as it is about rallying around the players who are truly guiding this teams success and protecting them. 

Fact is, guys like Backlund that take cheap shots at Petey are always going to be there and these guys will never answer the bell.  Never.  Gooning them is just going to result in more penalties.

Gooning? No. I do think Jake hit him hard enough that he injured Backlund. That’s what I’m talking about. Jake gets it. 

I know what youre saying though.  Ramping up the physicality in games like the one last night though would be good.

Answer in kind for what’s being done to you. The Canucks aren’t doing that enough. There’s sporadic responses, but none are coming from the “leaders” on the team. 

The roster though, imo, cant be tweaked that much right now.

Again, you might be surprised. 

Other than Miller and Edler, there arnt too many guys who can play a mean, imposing game.  

Horvat, Myers, Benn, Virtanen, Beagle, Schaller, Roussel all should be doing much more from that perspective, especially when they see their younger, better teammates being hit with impunity. They have the weight and supposedly for some, the disposition. Yet fail to use it. 

This team has a reputation for playing a speed and skill game that can make teams pay on the scoreboard. No teams take them lightly from that perspective. The team does have a reputation for being pushovers though. Look at how the last few games have gone. The team is in it until the opposition starts hitting, slashing, hooking and the Canucks look to the refs, as if that would help. 

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Cheers 3

16 minutes ago, lmm said:

i mentioned this in the last pgt,

this team does not have the mentality to play a tough game.

Beagle and maybe Miller are the only players that might get a match lit under them with a hit or a fight,

everyone else goes into a coma when things get rough.

Jake fought last game, where was he the rest of the Wild game and last night?

this has not changed since the Sedin era.

People said, "We need to answer for Sedin abuse" 

If a Canuck gets in a fight, the rest of the team goes into a coma, nothing has changed in 8-10 years.

they said Tkachuk "dragged" his team into the game, there is just no dragging this team into a game, ever.

Maybe benching MacEwen after his fight sends the message that Travis wants no part of it, but I doubt it.

This team is just soft to the core/from the core

I would argue, Ratchuk, did not wait for his teammates and bit back then ran/turtled like the rat he is.   At the very least,  He faced the challenge that he started his way.  Ofcourse, the difference is: Ratchuk started it cause he is a douche and EP40 just plays within the rules.

Edited by ShawnAntoski

15 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

So whats the answer to this 'push-back' problem? 

To say they've done absolutely nothing isn't fair, Ferland was a great pickup on paper but it hasn't materialized so far. Roussel's not a fighter but he can drag guys into the fight. Is Simmonds the answer? Would NJ consider moving Myles Wood? (if either of those guys are even suited)

Another part is, how tight is the group? Are they willing to battle for each other? The young core seems to be pretty tight, how do the rest of the guys blend into that.

We need to find that willingness to battle & get ourselves out of this slump. 

Pearson Bo Loui

Miller Petey Brock/Virt

Rooster Gaud Virt/Sutter

Schaller Beagle Loui/Motte/Sutter

Who in that crew step up when the game gets rough?

Miller, Petey, Beagle? maybe Gaud and Peason?

Who in that crew do you want watching you back in a bar fight?

Bo, Loui, Brock, Virt, Sutter, Rooster, Schaller? Thanks no, I'd rather have my kid sister back me up. Heck I'd rather have my mom back me up, she was a mean one.

So if you add Simmons or you add Wood, who's got their back?

2 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

I would argue, Ratchuk, did not wait for his teammates and bit back then ran/turtled like the rat he is.   At the very least,  He faced the challenge that he started his way....

I would trade any player not named PETTERSSON or Hughes for either Tkachuk

16 hours ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

Lucic when asked about playing in Vancouver (in the Visitors’ Dressing Room):

”It’s great. I try to look for the Champagne stains on the ceiling.”

God I hate him. 

god I love that guy

except for $ aand term I'd love to have that in our team

• Cheers 2
  • Wat 1

16 hours ago, x00x said:

Agree with alot, our team is so soft now, even our tough guys arent even hitting or protecting petey, not sure what to think :(  getting alittle worried esp with playoff push is now

not to worry there is still lots of time to slide out of the playoffs so we don't get beat up and embarrassed again

sure glad that 1st is protected

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Not really concerned with your expectations. 

salty, I like it

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Have you watched the defense in their own end? They’re scrambling to contain the puck let alone clear it most nights. The passive box system is hemmed in by an aggressive forecheck. Hughes and Tanev are a solid paring that manages to calmly manage the puck, but the other two pairings aren’t working very well. 

Have you played hockey, at all Phillip?  Genuine question, because what you seem to think you see,and what is actually happening hockey wise, are two separate things.  

4 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Again, telling a fan how to be one is so pretentious. You manage your fan hood, let others manage theirs. 

I dont think you understand the definition of pretentious correctly.  You know, when people are being unfairly negative/critical about things they dont seem to know, now that comes off disingenuous.  

16 hours ago, x00x said:

they bring bailey up to sit in the press box like wtf....whats the point in bring him up to sit, makes no sense on some decisions 

needs to learn to dump and chase

needs to learn to turn the other cheek

needs to learn to take the puck to the slot  and pass it to the guy in the corner, so he can pass back to the point

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, kilgore said:

I have no idea why Green would not have played Demko for the last game of a long arduous road trip, especially knowing we had Calgary next up at home. And doubley odd since this was the season that for sure for sure the plan was to ease Marky's load, keep him fresher for the playoffs, and conversely give Demko valuable experience, if only to evaluate if it would be viable to trade Marky this summer. 

One small set of mistakes like that can help push this team into a tailspin.  Because now Green will feel he HAS to play Marky more to cover up his mistakes, and risk really overplaying him to the point of, knock on wood, injury, and on the other hand, keeping Demko rusty if he suddenly has to take the full load for awhile.

It also affects player management. What if Marky convinces Canucks that he has proved himself, and they sign him to a multi year deal. Then, good luck trading Demko if this kind sparse usage continues, and he isn't seen as proven yet.  I don't get it. It would make sense on a lot of teams to sit the backup, but we are in a unique, enviable situation, that a lot of teams are not in.  We have a great backup and so have the potential of mixing it up, and always having fresh competent goaltending for the season,  Once the playoffs start for us, if they do,  we can always sit Demko then.

Can't agree more. Like I said, I would love to know Green's decision making process. 

Edited by Silent Man
  • Cheers 1