The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Calgary Flames at Vancouver Canucks | Feb. 08, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

22 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I agree. The Chiapet Express is gone. :lol:

Holland’s a shrewd dude, and Benning knows it. 

It was. Well played. 

In a perfect world, I’d love to see Benning go after Josh Anderson, Brenden Dillon, Milan Lucic, and/or Wayne Simmonds. Lucic has been showing quite well as of late, getting up in the play and making plays. He had a pretty good night last night. Made Roussel look the fool pretty badly there. 

Anderson, unfortunately is injured long term (as well as 3 other CBJ forwards and a couple D), Lucic owns a NMC that hamstrings Calgary in expansion (and has a year beyond LE), Dillon is a guy I've proposed in the past, but I think he'll probably be cost prohibitive as a rental...?

I'd be fine with a Simmonds type deal - should be low cost  - but Kass woulda been a nice pickup last deadline imo.

9 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Anderson, unfortunately is injured long term (as well as 3 other CBJ forwards and a couple D), Lucic owns a NMC that hamstrings Calgary in expansion (and has a year beyond LE), Dillon is a guy I've proposed in the past, but I think he'll probably be cost prohibitive as a rental...?

I'd be fine with a Simmonds type deal - should be low cost  - but Kass woulda been a nice pickup last deadline imo.

Dillon could be more than a rental. This team could use a hit machine like him long term. If Benning was able to get Simmonds and Dillon, that would be pretty great.

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Dillon could be more than a rental. This team could use a hit machine like him long term. If Benning was able to get Simmonds and Dillon, that would be pretty great.

I'm all for moving a Benn, moving Roussel, dumping Baertschi's cap into a deal, making room perhaps signing him in the offseason (giving the Shards a nice pick or two, not so much).

However, at the same time, whether he'd want to come in and play leftover minutes behind Edler and Hughes....would be one question - and the other would be what happens to prospects like Juolevi et al if the team commits to a fixture (as opposed to a placholder) at 3LHD?

• Cheers 1

22 hours ago, Silent Man said:

Yes, it is the league responsibility to create a schedule and the team management knew what was coming. So, why didn't inject some guys from the farm in a line up and give some guys a rest.? Why didn't give Demko more starts?

I don't see many other teams getting back to back approx 1:00pm est starts - we are the afterthought. And it's not like we have the deepest defence either - not many options there. 

As I said we are lucky to come out with only the injuries we have - could have been worse.

boys were obviously tired during and after this trip - you can't plan to not be tired and it's the leagues responsibility to create a schedule in which teams can be entertaining and sell ad revenue - well you don't do that when the best product isn't available because of an idiotic afterthought way of planning. 

25 minutes ago, VanIsleNuckFan said:

I don't see many other teams getting back to back approx 1:00pm est starts - we are the afterthought. And it's not like we have the deepest defence either - not many options there. 

As I said we are lucky to come out with only the injuries we have - could have been worse.

boys were obviously tired during and after this trip - you can't plan to not be tired and it's the leagues responsibility to create a schedule in which teams can be entertaining and sell ad revenue - well you don't do that when the best product isn't available because of an idiotic afterthought way of planning. 

Afterthought?

We know how proud Bettman is to boast parity to his owners and media while the loser point helps contain separation in standings

Also, some of the way calls, suspensions, penalties etc are called (or not) and ruled upon throughout the league

Maybe the schedule is another form of game management and parity to an extent?

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, lmm said:

I thought the Jim era was going to be about picks and developement.

this is how our team looks now

trade- 1st round pick - 1st

trade- 1st from prev admin- signing

signing - 5th - 1st

signing- signing- trade/trade

3rd from 2admins back -college signing prev admin

1st ------------------------coll signing prev admin

signing/signing-signing

2nd pick

trade, prev

2nd

forwards

4 trades

4 signings

3 1st

1 5th

---------

1 1st prev admin

D

1 1st

3 signings

-----------

3 prev admins

G

2nd

---------

trade prev

now the reason I bring this up, and attach it to your post , is that so far players like Rathbone,  Raferty and Brisebois have not made the club

And if they did, are they an improvement on what we have now?

Rathbone could only replace Stacher as 2nd small D

Raffferty and /or Brise could replace Tanev as slightly undersized D

and if they did, are we actually better off than we are right now?

At some point we need to replace Edler, Myers and Benn, our 3 biggest and oldest D.

Other than Tryamkin none of our prospects replace any of those guys size. 

Myers is here for long term so all good. Benn easily replaced by Fantenburg who is arguably more physical. Others? I guess thats the million dollar question. Rathbone and Rafferty, Woo, OJ, Breis, and possibly Tryamkin as strong possibilities. Tanev may be re-signed. I'm not sure why the question posed on JB accumulating D depth. It hasn't been this postive in a decade, if ever. Many of those players I've mentioned are cheap signings or entry level contracts to boot.

4 hours ago, appleboy said:

The first part of your statement is true. Petey and Hughes could eat up 20 mil.

The other day on Calgary radio, they were talking about the Canucks. They suggested with the way they’re playing, and the cap rising, it wouldn’t be out of the realm of possibility that Pettersson and Hughes cost a combined $25M on their next contract.

I don’t know if it will be THAT much, but I do expect it to exceed 20.

6 minutes ago, D-Money said:

The other day on Calgary radio, they were talking about the Canucks. They suggested with the way they’re playing, and the cap rising, it wouldn’t be out of the realm of possibility that Pettersson and Hughes cost a combined $25M on their next contract.

I don’t know if it will be THAT much, but I do expect it to exceed 20.

Petey will easily be over 10. Quinn I’m not so sure, because he can’t be offersheeted and the defenseman RFA market has been weird.

4 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Not going to rehash the series, been there a hundred times. 

What I will say is that it’s no coincidence that as the PC culture has been developing in the media which celebrates the victim, so was the excusing of the Canucks’ play, in particular the Sedins, while they were being bullied... instead, labeling them as tough. 

As an aside and a departure in the toughness discussion, I think the collision between the developing culture of celebrating the victim, (which includes accolades for “toughness” and other empowering survival-related words to describe the bullied person or position in society) and the Canucks’ style of play largely resembling that of a victim (of a bully), is why we might debate the spirit of the word, “toughness”, as it relates to the Sedins and the ongoing lack of capacity for pushback demonstrated by the Canucks.

Bullied, were the 2011 Final’s Canucks. 
But... Since we no longer label bullies tough, the Bruins weren’t tough, they were deplorables of some kind, while the Sedins and company were the real tough ones.

It was viewed as toughness to play through abuse while being bullied in Canuck nation. I had a different view.

My views of the Sedins and the Canucks rosters which allowed and continue to allow their finesse, star players to be abused do not align with the Orwellian newspeak like, to be bullied shows toughness. 

In sports at least, victimhood, it’s identity and the celebration of it are misaligned with emerging societal narratives and culture. To call the Sedins tough for never pushing back is part of the CDC culture, which dare I say, is changing...?

Good. Finally. 
Welcome, Deplorables. 

@WHL rocks okay dumb and dumber take a read. You think the Canucks were soft and were bullied around in 2011. 
Hits: BOS 228      Van 260. In game 7 we outhit Boston 47-29 

Takeaways: BOS 47     Van 62

Give aways: BOS 55    Van 52

In game 3 we had 3 give aways when Boston “ramped up the intensity” where as Boston had 12 give away in game 3. From game 3 onward Vancouver outhit Boston by 33 hits.

I fail to see this “soft” team you guys speak of, the one that was bullied by Boston.. you sure you watched the same series? There largest margin we were outhit by in game was 9. We out hit them by 20 in game 5 and 18 in game 7. 

Game 4 the hits were even at 27 we had 5 give aways to 7 for Boston.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, lmm said:

hasn't the NHL changee 25% of their coaches this season?

Sure but the fire coach Midseason to win the cup method is an absolutely stupid one to follow imo... Especially the first year the team is expected to even contend for a playoff spot...

Edited by canuck73_3
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Not going to rehash the series, been there a hundred times. 

What I will say is that it’s no coincidence that as the PC culture has been developing in the media which celebrates the victim, so was the excusing of the Canucks’ play, in particular the Sedins, while they were being bullied... instead, labeling them as tough. 

As an aside and a departure in the toughness discussion, I think the collision between the developing culture of celebrating the victim, (which includes accolades for “toughness” and other empowering survival-related words to describe the bullied person or position in society) and the Canucks’ style of play largely resembling that of a victim (of a bully), is why we might debate the spirit of the word, “toughness”, as it relates to the Sedins and the ongoing lack of capacity for pushback demonstrated by the Canucks.

Bullied, were the 2011 Final’s Canucks. 
But... Since we no longer label bullies tough, the Bruins weren’t tough, they were deplorables of some kind, while the Sedins and company were the real tough ones. 

It was viewed as toughness to play through abuse while being bullied in Canuck nation. I had a different view.

My views of the Sedins and the Canucks rosters which allowed and continue to allow their finesse, star players to be abused do not align with the Orwellian newspeak like, to be bullied shows toughness. 

In sports at least, victimhood, it’s identity and the celebration of it are misaligned with emerging societal narratives and culture. To call the Sedins tough for never pushing back is part of the CDC culture, which dare I say, is changing...?

Good. Finally. 
Welcome, Deplorables. 

Not a fan of the pc disease either but I can’t agree with your assessment of the Sedins as not being tough.

were they aggressive? No

tough? Yes.

there is a significant difference.

to have the iron man streak that henrik achieved whilst facing the heaviest of dman opposition is enough for me.  There are many examples of Sedins toughness.  I specifically remember Daniel having his mout obliterated in LA only to come back and win it in overtime, scoring within in the crease area - mouth full of fresh blood and stitches.

i get where you’re coming from but honestly I’d rank the Sedins as some of the toughest athletes to play in the nhl.

they simply were not mean or aggressive....ever.  And often those aspects are required to achieve.

• Cheers 3

15 hours ago, knucklehead91 said:

You do realize how beaten up the Canucks were right? Like the list of injuries prior to the finals compared to bostons one and only injury is staggering. We lost because we ran of steam and suffered too many injuries too early in the playoffs. We made to the finals and went as far as game 7, on a crippled team.

toughness isnt about throwing the hit, thats the easiest damn choice to make. Hmm throw the hit or get hit? What are you going to do? You are going to throw the hit because you are too much of chicken sh!t to take a big hit to make the play.

simple hockey 101 that. Take the hit to make the play. Avoid the hit and lose the puck.

Henrik was folded in half from behind by Ben Eager in the WCF.

Kesler blew his hipflexor in the 2nd round

Our defence was decimated before the finals and then we lost Hamhuis game 1. Salo got submarined, the list of injuries goes on and on and on. We ran out of steam simply due to injury. We pushed it all the way to game 7. I could feel the canucks struggle in each game because they were completely burnt out from travel and injury. In and out of their time zone every single round. Flying every couple days. Boston didnt leave their time zone until the finals. Canucks travelled 10x more than Boston, which wears on you on its own.

Bostons only injury was Horton

You make it sound like they all should have been in full body casts and skating around with crutches. :lol: The 94' boys did not use any excuses, check out Lindens stats for that run compared to his regular season stats.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, High and Inside said:

I am pretty sure every GM is going to say that before the year starts at least if they want to keep there job. Did you honestly expect them to be where they are? I think they have exceeded expectations. 

With Green as coach I expect very little and we are are headed for very little

with the roster and moves we made, like JB expect the playoffs 

you seriously had zero playoff expectations after having Hughes, Miller, Ferland and Myers? 

If you did you set a low bar my friend 

• Wat 1

39 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

You make it sound like they all should have been in full body casts and skating around with crutches. :lol: The 94' boys did not use any excuses, check out Lindens stats for that run compared to his regular season stats.

Guess what, both teams came up short and were badly banged up. 2011 was far more decimated than 94’s near cinderella story. 
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/735243-2011-stanley-cup-finals-injuries-too-much-to-overcome-for-the-canucks

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/nhl.nbcsports.com/2011/06/16/bruins-stayed-mostly-injury-free-during-run-to-the-stanley-cup/amp/

4 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Sure but the fire coach Midseason to win the cup method is an absolutely stupid one to follow imo... Especially the first year the team is expected to even contend for a playoff spot...

sure I agree with that, 

this team is not very close to cup contention

only the most diluded think we have a chance

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, rekker said:

Myers is here for long term so all good. Benn easily replaced by Fantenburg who is arguably more physical. Others? I guess thats the million dollar question. Rathbone and Rafferty, Woo, OJ, Breis, and possibly Tryamkin as strong possibilities. Tanev may be re-signed. I'm not sure why the question posed on JB accumulating D depth. It hasn't been this postive in a decade, if ever. Many of those players I've mentioned are cheap signings or entry level contracts to boot.

its just that a list of names like that means nothing until some of them show that they have some kind of shot at playing in the show.

I remember Rahimi/Ellington/Bourdon/ McIvor/Edler  being touted as our top 6 for the next decade. Well Edler made it

then there was Connaughton/ Sauve/ Oberg

out of those 8 players kevin Connaughton is the second best NHLer

It would be great if Jim could fill our roster with picks, but so far we are not much ahead of the Oilers having their 1st only make the team year after year

after 5 years we have 2 picks in the line p that were not 1sts and drafted by Jim

He is doing better with the 1sts, I'll give him that 

5 hours ago, canuck2288 said:

With Green as coach I expect very little and we are are headed for very little

with the roster and moves we made, like JB expect the playoffs 

you seriously had zero playoff expectations after having Hughes, Miller, Ferland and Myers? 

If you did you set a low bar my friend 

I stopped reading what you wrote after the first sentence.

6 hours ago, CupIsComing said:

We will make the playoffs.

He can't ask me because you closed the thread for no legitimate reason.

This is starting to feel a lot like bullying.

Was I mistaken to think that this whole "he said the playoff word" thing was humour? Doesn't feel funny anymore.

Hockey players and hockey fans alike are a superstitious bunch, so stuff like that isn’t generally taken well. That being said, I’m pretty sure people are just grinding your gears a bit out of humour. It is a sports talk site after all. Personally, I meant it in jest. If you were offended I apologize.

As for the thread being closed, it was by overwhelming request (as per superstition mentioned above).

If you feel this was unfair you are welcome to message the head administrator for the Canucks.com forum, @StealthNuck and discuss the matter with them further. 

All the best!

Go Canucks Go!

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/10/2020 at 12:24 PM, ba;;isticsports said:

Afterthought?

We know how proud Bettman is to boast parity to his owners and media while the loser point helps contain separation in standings

Also, some of the way calls, suspensions, penalties etc are called (or not) and ruled upon throughout the league

Maybe the schedule is another form of game management and parity to an extent?

You may be right, it may be 100% intentional and meant to hinder our team as a non big market team. They should think out of the box as they can make us into the heel like 2011 and people will watch to cheer against us (like I do with San Jose) lol