The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The lack of push back is concerning

Rate this topic

Junkyard Dog

I thought sleeping it off would make me feel better, but here I am still pissed the next day.

The lack of response to Petey's abuse who just came back from an injury due to a dirty hit by his teammates and coach was infuriating last night. Everýone in the arena and television saw the blatant slew foot by friggin Backlund but yet I saw none of the leadership group or the grit guys on this team even facewash Backlund. Nor did they returned the favor to the Lames top guys.

It is culture.

Schaller fought Gudbranson when he was with Boston when Guddy threw a hard hit on some guy.

Roussel used to go ape $&!# whenever someone touched Seguin

Benn was a gritty defenceman that would step up on the blue line when he was with Dallas and mtl.

Petey's only been in the league for 1.5 season and has already endured a couple of injuries from cheap shots.

His team already used the "we didn't  see it excuse" before. What was the excuse for last night?

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

yeah Jimbo does seem to get annoyed at the lack of grit on display. 

I’d be too, if I was him. He’s repeatedly signed or traded for players to provide a more physical and truculent playing style and they’ve seemingly fallen short once they come here, showing glimpses of it, but more often than not, just become passengers. 

Green is meh to me, I don't care if he stays as long as the team is doing the right things. But.... if you can't change the player roster and want to shake things up theres only one other choice. I've wanted to see what Gallant could do here since he got shown a taxi in Florida.

I don’t think he’s anything that special to be honest. He’s been great helping some of the younger players acclimate to the NHL, which is great, but the team has no killer mentality and seems to shy away from physical play. Something is wrong, and it all can’t be laid at the skates of the players. 

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Bingo.  We need to be the aggressors.  Pushing back sounds like we’re a team of passive pansies who are getting bullied.  

I too believe it’s a culture of passivity that is coached into our team, and that has to go.  Fire Green and get Babcock in here.  Our young players deserve a hard nosed coach, who gets his team to play with the same arrogance and aggressiveness that he displays in his daily life.  Babcock is a serious a$$hol*.  But he coaches his teams to play like he is, and they win.  

This topic is a coaching issue your right. But Babcock isn't the answer 

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

No...because I don't feel they're the issue and the changes that need to be made are guys who are much more disposable.  Except I guess the flipside is others won't want them either.

I'd rather we DO focus on giving guys like Mac, Bailey, etc. a shot. Mac's already proven he's willing to go..and that's exactly what we need.

That is the problem Deb

Finding out if Mac and Bailey can play everyday spots, takes others out of the line up

Green won't play them if he thinks we are weaker and they will give us less chance to win

I am not as focused on this year as many...…..I want our prospects getting games

We have to know going forward...……...obviously Green and Benning do not agree with me and you

3 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

I don't buy this.

That mean/toughness is something within and usually the fire is lit accordingly.  If it takes a team "culture" to nurture it, it likely wasn't really there to begin with on an individual basis.  

The culture comes from....the personnel.  They set the tone in the room and each guy is partly responsible in that.  If a guy is out there giving his all and sacrificing his body for the team, often the team will feed off that.  It takes players willing to lead that charge.  You can't blame the past....this team was to establish a new identity and has every opportunity to. 

While many will look at the Sedins era as "soft"....look at some of the footage of the abuse they took but still hung in there, battling hard.  Toughness doesn't have to come in the form of dropping the gloves.  It's in the form of not shying away in the trenches.  Sedins didn't do that.

I'm tired of the label that is passed along in the form of "culture".  That's a passing of the buck and lets the current team off the hook.

It's too early to say they won't/can't turn it around (again)....but it is concerning to see that the level of "compete" is relying on skill and a plan on paper.  Have to mix some grease in with it because it's required down the stretch and beyond.  When the plan isn't working, you get in there and fight despite it.  I think it becomes more of a "mental trying to figure it out" deal.  Messes with the mind and the confidence follows.  Bang and crash rather than thinking about it.  

It goes both ways. If the positive aspects of the culture that previous leadership helped create are still felt in the organization, then so too are the negative aspects. Can't cherry pick.

Yes, personnel affects culture, but which personnel? Probably the coaching staff and the leaders much more so than the one or two new guys brought in each year.

Just look at how Willie Desjardins and Henrik responded to Virtanen's suspension after he hit Polak. They didn't even attempt to defend him. He was just a young player trying to make it in the league, and they just hung him out to dry like I've never seen before. Virtanen is still on this team, so if that impacted him in any way, then that is one of the many ways that culture can permeate the team over time.

Conversely, I'm sure Virtanen saw how hard the Sedins worked, and if that influences his work ethic now, then that is a positive aspect of the culture that has permeated. Again, it goes both ways.

We need to a tough guy in the top 6. Inserting toughness without sacrificing skill in the top 6 is how to add toughness to the team. 
- Signing Ferland was for that purpose, however he has had a rough go with injury this season.

- Targeting someone like Simmonds if Ferland is not good to go for the rest of the season.

- Having both of them in the top 6 when healthy is going to make us a very tough team.

- Adding skill and someone who is tough in the top 6 eliminates the the need for a 4th line fighter (which is a dying breed)

allows you to build 2 top lines that score and mix it up, giving your 3rd and 4th line duties of PK and shutdown. Someone who’s on the ice 15-20 minutes a game that can impact the game with a fight or a goal is far more beneficial than a guy in the bottom 6 who gets 5-8 minutes a game and is only good for one thing

If his contract wasn’t 7x6yrs I would love to have Evander Kane in our top 6. He scores 30 goals a season, throws hard body checks, goes hard to the net and fights Ryan f***ing Reaves. He can handle big tough players while still scoring. 
Kesler was loved here and was hated when he left because fans no longer liked his arrogance. Guess what, you all loved an arrogant a$$hole, why not try bringing another back into the roster to deal with things.

Kane - Pettersson - Miller

Ferland - Horvat - Boeser

Pearson - Gaudette - Virtanen

Roussel - Beagle - Eriksson

What I want to know is : Where are the gritty support staff that JB went and acquired last summer and why the F are they not doing their JOB???

When JT Miller has to answer the bell for Guys like Tachuck(sp) what is wrong with this picture????

I am so Miffed right now, JB ought to waive Schaller, Beagle, Lievo, ferland, Rouseau et al.

Bring up some guys that wanna shot at the big show and tell them what their frigging role is.....(Support/Protect the TALENT and you will do well)

I have had enough of guys mailing it in and watching EP BB & hughes getting mauled at every opportunity. Yes word is out, to shut down the Nucks ...Play these guys physically, they are mid to light weights, zebra's won't make calls unless its Blatent, and even then they miss a few. They have ZERO push back so no worries.

RANT OVER

18 hours ago, dougieL said:

The culture was set long ago...

Post of the decade.  Bingo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Until team management tackles the issue of toughness - we have absolutely NO CHANCE TO WIN A CUP!   The current identity of this team which revolves around "Skilled-Finess" soft Swedish/Euro style play started in the Naslund Era, followed by the Sedins and now Petterson (OMG).  Nothing wrong with having that skill on the team but when the whole teams succumbs to soft Euro style laid back play - it's a complete lost cause because anyone that follows this game knows that in the playoffs only the toughest teams survive to win.  PERIOD - END OF STORY !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

It's concerning and frankly embarrassing. But I don't think we need to do much to seek out new players. I agree with others that anyone else we get will end up playing this same "style". The team has a good mix of tough, gritty, and skilled players. But they sure aren't playing that way. Gotta be the coaching.

7 hours ago, NeilColville said:

They should have waited and gave Pettersson the captaincy. Guy has the most heart out of anyone. He is the guy to lead us. Not Horvat. 

I'da gone with Beagle

not gonna be herre long term, but would have been a break from the past 

7 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

yeah... the Bo bashing going on lately is &^@#ed up. The guy plays hard, is doing what he's told. To suggest Horvat plays with no heart is just stupid. 

sorry don't mean to crap on you personally @NeilColville but Bo is the least of this teams issues. 

i disagree

You have to either play on the edge and have a really good pk to keep teams honest, or you have to have a lethal power play.

You can’t play in the middle if you expect to be successful in the postseason.

Edited by DeNiro

7 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

yeah... the Bo bashing going on lately is &^@#ed up. The guy plays hard, is doing what he's told. To suggest Horvat plays with no heart is just stupid. 

sorry don't mean to crap on you personally @NeilColville but Bo is the least of this teams issues. 

Fair enough. I just haven’t been thrilled with Bo this year. He hasn’t proven yet that he can lead this team. He needs to take after Toews. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, NeilColville said:

Fair enough. I just haven’t been thrilled with Bo this year. He hasn’t proven yet that he can lead this team. He needs to take after Toews. 

Bo will get there. Toews has had a lot of good things to say about Bo actually. 

• Cheers 1