The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The lack of push back is concerning

Rate this topic

Junkyard Dog

I agree with the negativity regarding our pushback and tenacity. Both are obvious deficiencies.

It isn't our personnel. Benning has done an excellent job with bringing in heavy guys with size, who have been known to have pushback in the past. I too can't think of why we don't play such a game other than the coaching, and when we have been outmuscled the last couple of games I taught my 7 year old son what the word "timid" meant. We don't seem to have that real fire and ability to really take it to the other team.

With that said, adding guys who are primarily known for such traits are already our property. Signing Tryamkin(hopefully) and getting Ferland back should make a huge difference. I believe tenacity is infectious, and if we have guys like that it will force the opponent to try to match. Which in turn forces the rest of our guys to play that style, and I believe our team CAN play that style better than most. Granted, this may be harder on our smaller guys but they'll learn to deal with it eventually.

What we have seen in the last few games is NOT our team. Once we find a way to step up, I believe we will easily keep with Calgary and others.

5 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

I’d like to know what Aquaman thinks. 

I think Aquaman actually has designs on becoming a senator

not and Ottawa Senator

a Liberal senator in Ottawa

that is why he keeps up with "Lets Talk, Diwahli, Canuck Place..."

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

This team will probably slide out of playoff contention now, which is for the best. They’d be slaughtered in the playoffs. They have no guts, allowing their young players with phenomenal talent to be run so blatantly. 

It is a culture issue for sure. Hopefully when the season is done and the team is punching its new ticket to the draft, Aquilini will take the scythe out and go to work.

The team needs real leaders. Fearless players who’ll go through the boards for anyone on their team. Not the weakness on display yesterday. 

We knew it was going to happen. Look at the preseason.

Brock takes a cheap shot from Tierney and everyone turns a blind eye.

Your young star had a serious back injury and you let him get hit like that with no response. 

You don't think our division rivals noticed? 

This has to end. 

• Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

18 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I don’t think Green shares that approach. Time will tell, but one of them is going to get the ax if the team whimpers it’s way to the end of the season. A lot of Canucks fans aren’t going to want to shell out the exorbitant prices for tickets to watch some of the best young players in the league get pushed around like red headed stepchildren. 

agreed Green isnt a fan of an overly aggressive leading the charge style of game. just look at his NHL career sure he had a long on but that was by being a bit of a NPC player just fading in doesnt stand out good or bad.. that and it seems they are trying to play a 2011 style canucks game again. i wonder if brown has much to do with the "make them pay on the powerplay" mind set. 

1 minute ago, MoldyTaco said:

agreed Green isnt a fan of an overly aggressive leading the charge style of game. just look at his NHL career sure he had a long on but that was by being a bit of a NPC player just fading in doesnt stand out good or bad.. that and it seems they are trying to play a 2011 style canucks game again. i wonder if brown has much to do with the "make them pay on the powerplay" mind set. 

It has to be more than just green. This has been our mantra since like 2012. Maybe even earlier.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 73 Percent said:

It has to be more than just green. This has been our mantra since like 2012. Maybe even earlier.

yeah whats the same same since then? brown. maybe he has a bigger part coaching this team then any of us know or like... honestly i have no clue how he still has a job at this point. 

20 minutes ago, MoldyTaco said:

yeah whats the same same since then? brown. maybe he has a bigger part coaching this team then any of us know or like... honestly i have no clue how he still has a job at this point. 

Hes gotta have dirt on ownership. Although his fanboys will come to his defense and point out that we dont have the worst pp in the league, it's pretty obvious when you watch games that everything about it is god awful. It's so unstructured anymore it looks like the unit is trying to take things in their own hands and going rover to no avail.

I think the guy we saw the other night vs the Wild, Marcus Foligno, should be on JB's radar. Rather spend assets to get him than a guy like Simmonds (as is rumoured).  

Dayal was on TSN radio the other day talking about Foligno and how he is a good defensive player, in addition to a guy that can change the tone of the game by his physical play/presence.  He attacked Zack MacEwen just for breathing on their goalie, love to have a guy like that here.

Another guy that would arm the team with a legit deterrent is Ross Johnston from the NYI.  Puts up decent numbers for a fourth liner and IMHO puts fear into the other teams toughest players.  Hes got to be one of the toughest kids in the NHL right now

Just look at the stare, it would scare a bear up a tree.  Dont know what it would take to get these guys here but it would be nice to have some guys like this instead of guys that look like they are trying to win "nice guy of the year" awards

johnston.JPG

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Darius said:

I think the guy we saw the other night vs the Wild, Marcus Foligno, should be on JB's radar. Rather spend assets to get him than a guy like Simmonds (as is rumoured).  

Dayal was on TSN radio the other day talking about Foligno and how he is a good defensive player, in addition to a guy that can change the tone of the game by his physical play/presence.  He attacked Zack MacEwen just for breathing on their goalie, love to have a guy like that here.

Another guy that would arm the team with a legit deterrent is Ross Johnston from the NYI.  Puts up decent numbers for a fourth liner and IMHO puts fear into the other teams toughest players.  Hes got to be one of the toughest kids in the NHL right now

Just look at the stare, it would scare a bear up a tree.  Dont know what it would take to get these guys here but it would be nice to have some guys like this instead of guys that look like they are trying to win "nice guy of the year" awards

johnston.JPG

Would love to have Johnston on the team, would the Islanders be willing to give him up though?

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Sweathog said:

Would love to have Johnston on the team, would the Islanders be willing to give him up though?

yeah it might be tough to pry him outta there.  They already have Matt Martin so who knows....

• Upvote 1

This is such BS complaint. Don't you guys watch other teams play in the NHL? McDavid almost got kneed by Giordano a week ago. Crosby suffered several concussions. If the generational players are at constant risk of been injured what makes you think the lesser franchise player Pettersson should have an easier time? 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Maddogy said:

This is such BS complaint. Don't you guys watch other teams play in the NHL? McDavid almost got kneed by Giordano a week ago. Crosby suffered several concussions. If the generational players are at constant risk of been injured what makes you think the lesser franchise player Pettersson should have an easier time? 

I think the Canuck’s franchise is far more valuable than either Edmonton or Pittsburgh.  

• Wat 1

47 minutes ago, Maddogy said:

Exactly.

McMe1st had a Kassquatch riding on his wing - the reality is that opponents dgaf - and never really did.

But, but ermagerd, no one 'responded' to that - no one 'made Giordano pay'.  Welcome to reality.  They rarely did/do.

These guys get cheap-shotted their entire careers - the only thing that happened in the real world - were 'responses' - 'deterrence' is a myth.  Teams would march out their heavies - and that supposedly served justice or 'deterrence'?  Please - it's a good narrative, but it's fiction. 

The irony in tha context - t the 'battle of Alberta' - boiled over because Tkachuk begged it to, not because of a liberty taken on McDavid.

Evidently some people are delusional enough to believe that 'enforcers' prevented teams from taking liberties on 'star' players.  Absolute millenial revisionist drivel.

Which is not to say that this team does not need to take a pack mentality - it's overcompensating in the other direction imo.   The reality is that it's the league that has to deal with the durability of it's stars - which it doesn't - and it leaves it to a faulty model - the 'reaction'/enforcer/deterrence model - which has never remotel 'worked'.   I'm more in favour of the reverse implication approach - ie - take a run at Pettersson = not only take a number, but take a reverse  cheap shot out on Pastrnak, Gaudreau, etc - it aint perfect, but it is what it is - and if anything is going to make a team 'think twice' it's losing their own.  The problem is - do you need to build your team with guys willing to mete that out?   In the end, the responsibility circles back to the (negligent) league - and at the same time, the Canuck approach of leaving it to them is a failure that only seems to heighten/enable their 'victimization'.

On 2/8/2020 at 9:43 PM, Junkyard Dog said:

As games get tougher and more physical we seem to almost cave in under the pressure. Our stars getting pushed around without any consequence? There are no positives to that, it just lets teams know they have a good chance to win if they up their physicality. What kind of message does it send down the lineup? It seems like it's been this way  for a while. ever since the Matheson hit, even before, we've seen nobody stand up for our stars. Games around this time of the season are gonna get tougher and something has to change otherwise our chances of making the playoffs and succeeding in them will not be great.

You have to be able to show that you can't be pushed around so easily and be able to at least match teams when it comes to the physical side of the game. When your star his hurt you've got to stand up for him and play like your pissed off. Whether that be in a fight or a hit you gotta do something because doing nothing just ain't gonna cut it.

Last I saw this has been our achilles heel since 2011..  hopefully TG is saying hold off until we get close to play off time or close to it then *SHOVE* but somehow I think that's not the case but one can hope..

12 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

Hes gotta have dirt on ownership. Although his fanboys will come to his defense and point out that we dont have the worst pp in the league, it's pretty obvious when you watch games that everything about it is god awful. It's so unstructured anymore it looks like the unit is trying to take things in their own hands and going rover to no avail.

every single pp goal we score is by fluke it seems. the only reason why have so many goals is because we have so many chances. its the most infuriating thing about this team, watching how lazy slow and unmotivated they are on the powerplay. how the hell can you "make them pay" on the power play when you dont even put 5% more effort in.